Cruise Pricing Pricing Pricing

cruiseerf

I have been cruising since my teens and have enjoyed many many wonderful trips so far. As I have aged, I have started booking more cruises and also watching different prices. Of course prices have risen as our food prices at home etc....We do get less and pay more however I find Celebrity still has an excellent Balance of things we look for....Food, Nice ships and friendly staff. Itineraries are getting old though and we don't like the Azamarra ships.....

About 10-12 years ago As Airlines started to change their reservation systems to charge more closer to departure or when flights got full, I noticed Cruise pricing changing as well. Obviously cruiselines want to maximize their revenue. At this time we booked cruises and just paid what we paid....we booked far out. But then about 5 years later as technology started to catch up we learned how pricing was changing and could always change....and the importance of using a travel agent, or yourself to monitor these changes. We started to book trips 6-2 months before to get good deals. We also noticed that if you liked a particular cabin and only wanted to cruise in that cabin, we had to book early.

Jump Forward to today. Celebrity's suite class is a smashing success.....If you want a Royal,PH or Celebrity suite you need to book as far out as you can especially if you are "in season". If you want those larger slanted balconies or sunset view cabins, once again you must book far out. I recently learned that Cruiselines will often only "sell" half a ship....opening up only 1/2 for booking.....Then as more cabins are sold and the prices rise, people pay more......then anywhere from 9-12 months out they release the other 1/2 at lower prices depending on the heaviness and demand for bookings etc. They are using similar financial models as airlines. Analyzing bookings 3 years back to maximize their selling capabilities etc.

This Europe summer season was Very "Soft" for cruiselines. People who booked their cabins two years ago invariably paid more then those who could book only 4-6 months out. Some differences we noted were Huge. We were booked on an 11 night Med cruise from Rome in a Sky Suite...We booked three months prior..We paid $2500 per person with all 4 perks...Go Big. For us this was a great deal. In Michaels club we met a couple who booked their "Preferred room" 2 years ago and had paid $4600 per head with limited perks. The Equinox on one of their 11 day January 17 Cruises was recently selling Sky Suites for 11 nights 4 perks go big for $2300 per person.....Roughly $200 per day.....Yet Before final payment these cruises were double that.

We like to fly First and Business class using miles. So we have started to look at cruises we might "Want".....We book the business class airfare with miles confirming our two seats......IF the cruises price drops after final payment they we are all set and we book. If not....Then it is $150 for the first ticket and $50 for the second ticket to re deposit the miles in your account....So for a $200 gamble we already are set with F or J air. I estimate we lose about $400 per year gambling on the cruises pricing.....However we have saved $10,000++ on cruise pricing per year using this strategy.

Ultimately the point of my email is that you need to weigh whats important to you? Are you willing to pay more to have your favourite cabin? How much more? If you want the big suites you better start booking way out. We met Couples in Michaels club (PH and Royal suite guests) who have traveled in suites on Crystal and Regent etc however they liked Celebrity because they said they don't want to travel with all old people like them! Lovely people. If you have the flexibility and time, you can get some GREAT deals out there. Also keep in mind that Your tech savy is very important in booking cruises.....You can set alarms for price drops, check the cruiselines websites and a variety of online travel sources. If not you, then use an excellent travel agent who is on top of all this. While Celebrity tries not to refund price drops (sometimes they do).....you can usually work to balance with some onboard credit or perks etc. Keep in mind what my grandmother taught me "You Don't ask, You don't get"......Just be reasonable and choose your battles wisely.

As cruiselines get smarter, so must we passengers. Thus I share my experiences. Safe wonderful sails to all.

Excellent advice, thank you. We use airline points also and I'd never considered your strategy. I recently retired so I'm a lot more flexible in booking than ever before so your advice is right on for me. Thanks again for taking the time to post.

Edited by cmalagngl

I have been cruising since my teens and have enjoyed many many wonderful trips so far. As I have aged, I have started booking more cruises and also watching different prices. Of course prices have risen as our food prices at home etc....We do get less and pay more however I find Celebrity still has an excellent Balance of things we look for....Food, Nice ships and friendly staff. Itineraries are getting old though and we don't like the Azamarra ships.....

About 10-12 years ago As Airlines started to change their reservation systems to charge more closer to departure or when flights got full, I noticed Cruise pricing changing as well. Obviously cruiselines want to maximize their revenue. At this time we booked cruises and just paid what we paid....we booked far out. But then about 5 years later as technology started to catch up we learned how pricing was changing and could always change....and the importance of using a travel agent, or yourself to monitor these changes. We started to book trips 6-2 months before to get good deals. We also noticed that if you liked a particular cabin and only wanted to cruise in that cabin, we had to book early.

Jump Forward to today. Celebrity's suite class is a smashing success.....If you want a Royal,PH or Celebrity suite you need to book as far out as you can especially if you are "in season". If you want those larger slanted balconies or sunset view cabins, once again you must book far out. I recently learned that Cruiselines will often only "sell" half a ship....opening up only 1/2 for booking.....Then as more cabins are sold and the prices rise, people pay more......then anywhere from 9-12 months out they release the other 1/2 at lower prices depending on the heaviness and demand for bookings etc. They are using similar financial models as airlines. Analyzing bookings 3 years back to maximize their selling capabilities etc.

This Europe summer season was Very "Soft" for cruiselines. People who booked their cabins two years ago invariably paid more then those who could book only 4-6 months out. Some differences we noted were Huge. We were booked on an 11 night Med cruise from Rome in a Sky Suite...We booked three months prior..We paid $2500 per person with all 4 perks...Go Big. For us this was a great deal. In Michaels club we met a couple who booked their "Preferred room" 2 years ago and had paid $4600 per head with limited perks. The Equinox on one of their 11 day January 17 Cruises was recently selling Sky Suites for 11 nights 4 perks go big for $2300 per person.....Roughly $200 per day.....Yet Before final payment these cruises were double that.

We like to fly First and Business class using miles. So we have started to look at cruises we might "Want".....We book the business class airfare with miles confirming our two seats......IF the cruises price drops after final payment they we are all set and we book. If not....Then it is $150 for the first ticket and $50 for the second ticket to re deposit the miles in your account....So for a $200 gamble we already are set with F or J air. I estimate we lose about $400 per year gambling on the cruises pricing.....However we have saved $10,000++ on cruise pricing per year using this strategy.

Ultimately the point of my email is that you need to weigh whats important to you? Are you willing to pay more to have your favourite cabin? How much more? If you want the big suites you better start booking way out. We met Couples in Michaels club (PH and Royal suite guests) who have traveled in suites on Crystal and Regent etc however they liked Celebrity because they said they don't want to travel with all old people like them! Lovely people. If you have the flexibility and time, you can get some GREAT deals out there. Also keep in mind that Your tech savy is very important in booking cruises.....You can set alarms for price drops, check the cruiselines websites and a variety of online travel sources. If not you, then use an excellent travel agent who is on top of all this. While Celebrity tries not to refund price drops (sometimes they do).....you can usually work to balance with some onboard credit or perks etc. Keep in mind what my grandmother taught me "You Don't ask, You don't get"......Just be reasonable and choose your battles wisely.

As cruiselines get smarter, so must we passengers. Thus I share my experiences. Safe wonderful sails to all.

Thanks, VERY informative post!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had another point to make. New Itineraries, to Japan, Taiwan, China as well as Transatlantics or Transpacifics are VERY popular as are Xmas New Years cruises. For these cruises, I suggest you book as far out as you can because these cruises are Very popular. We are booked on an October Japan cruise for 2017.....we booked two years out and it is heavily sold...... That said, I have friends who did the Athens to AbuDhabi suez Canal cruise in a Celebrity suite for 14 nights for $3400 each with 4 perks.....Great deal....Suez Canal.....somewhat of an adventure...12 Day European cruise in that cabin is $8000 per person.......but just know what you are booking. Generic Caribbean, or Standard cruises around the Med.....you have many chances to save.

Cheers All!

I had another point to make. New Itineraries, to Japan, Taiwan, China as well as Transatlantics or Transpacifics are VERY popular as are Xmas New Years cruises. For these cruises, I suggest you book as far out as you can because these cruises are Very popular. We are booked on an October Japan cruise for 2017.....we booked two years out and it is heavily sold...... That said, I have friends who did the Athens to AbuDhabi suez Canal cruise in a Celebrity suite for 14 nights for $3400 each with 4 perks.....Great deal....Suez Canal.....somewhat of an adventure...12 Day European cruise in that cabin is $8000 per person.......but just know what you are booking. Generic Caribbean, or Standard cruises around the Med.....you have many chances to save.

Cheers All!

We just did that suez cruise in an ov with the drinks package and gratuities for $1,150 pp [emoji2]

Edited sorry that price was my east med cruise and was for a balcony but for the suez we paid $1,250 plus gratuities but including drinks package for BOTH people in an ov.

Great when you can book last minute

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Edited by teamflames

I completely appreciate your point of view and that when you know what you are doing you can save major bucks booking last minute. However, we put a lot of thought into our trips (can only take one a year due to budget and work schedules) and try to pick unique itineraries. We generally book 9+ months out because we have to put in for our vacation time early at work, and haven't had any of our trips become significantly cheaper between final payment and sailing (of course we watch and take advantage of price drops prior to final payment). In fact, very often by final payment our cruise or chose room type is sold out and any bookings that free up are resold at a premium. So, just depends on the situation whether early booking or late booking is better.

We belong to the club that books shortly after the cruises are released. We tend to book suites and have never seen a suite selling for less than what we paid 2 years out. The pricing nearer the time of the cruise has been significantly higher than what we paid and by significantly I mean several thousand £s, even in an S1 cabin.

Edited by Gordoncruickshank

I checked out the prices for the 8 night fjords cruise in 2017 vs 2018 and sky suite 2155 for the 2017 cruise with the second passenger half price is £9186 :eek: and the 2018 cruise with no offers is £6264 :) . Same itinerary, same time of year but £3k cheaper

We've actually booked an RS to bypass the lack perks.

Looking at the availability now (10 days after the bookings opened) both PHs , half of the RSs and the best of the S1 aft wrap arounds have now gone.

X have now introduced an "Early Booking Guarantee Promotion" in the UK which in theory now allows you to re-book with a current promotion or price reduction with out losing your deposit[emoji2]

We belong to the club that books shortly after the cruises are released. We tend to book suites and have never seen a suite selling for less than what we paid 2 years out. The pricing nearer the time of the cruise has been significantly higher than what we paid and by significantly I mean several thousand £s, even in an S1 cabin.

Sent from my S30 using Forums mobile app

We just did that suez cruise in an ov with the drinks package and gratuities for $1,150 pp [emoji2]

Edited sorry that price was my east med cruise and was for a balcony but for the suez we paid $1,250 plus gratuities but including drinks package for BOTH people in an ov.

Great when you can book last minute

How did you get a drink package on the Suez Canal cruise? are you from the UK? that's the only place I saw it offered. Martini Bar is going to kill me on that one :)

How did you get a drink package on the Suez Canal cruise? are you from the UK? that's the only place I saw it offered. Martini Bar is going to kill me on that one :)

Hi, I saw it on an online ta with drinks but they refused to honour. Then went to cc roll call and some uk users were talking about it so I logged into the uk website and booked it. I was concerned as we are not uk passport holders but had no issues ... very lucky! My liver hates me right now so am on detox until we board the millennium in less than 2 weeks [emoji41]

friends book the April 17 Suez cruise, they are from the UK and got the drink package , never seen it offered in NA :(

We don't care about the cabin type as much as being onboard.

(if our oil stocks hadn't tanked we could have been contenders for other staterooms)

There is a residence special on now for November 2017 and we just booked an OV cabin on a B2B 14 day cruise including $300 OBC and prepaid gratuities for $6800 for 28 days. We've given up on long flights. Just get us to the ship. Sail off season and find the price you can't resist.

And of course for cruise addicts at the Z level, drinks and internet are free.

(we cancelled two Australian cruises in January which would have cost twice that if flights are included.)

It's not about the destination but the journey for those who can't or don't want to fly.

My wife and I also prefer to fly Business for Transatlantic flights but the way we do it is to book every cruise as far out as possible if we get decent perks. We pay little attention to the outrageous cost on X when first released we just want to get a decent cabin and we always book AQ since this is what we prefer. Then when we can book flights using miles (we always use miles!!) about 330 days out we start looking and book even if it takes a few months to find a good connection (and we refuse to do more than 2 connections anymore...just not worth the time and hassle). The airlines are not easy to work with however since they like to direct you to London connections with horrendous tax add costs

Then if the cruise does not get reasonable as we get close to final payment date (for us this is under $175/night per person with 2 perks unless the itinerary is extremely unigue). If it does not drop to this level or under we push the booked cruise out maybe a year even if it is just a "placeholder". We then pay the few $100's to restore our airline miles as the OP does. Because of this strategy we always keep the reservation with X direct.

It is just like playing a game; sometimes you win and sometimes you don't. The rules are always changing and you have to stay alert and ready for what might come next...we booked a great cabin for a good price just a few hours after the 2018 cruises were released. So far, my cruise has gone up 600 total. Additionally, we have all four perks and the prem bev package. However, there is a long way to go....my OBC is 775...I am happy! Waiting for state or senior discount.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Lastdance

I concur with the OP. If you are flexible, and not everyone can be due to personal, family, or work reasons, you can usually find a good deal. I used to book really early, but I found I just constantly changed my reservations as I found a better deal. I heavily research cruise itineraries and pricing and know there are certain routes that you have to book early as they sell out fairly quickly and the introductory pricing is the cheapest it's going to be. We've done that on our 2 northern route transatlantic itineraries and I'm looking at a Japan cruise for 2018 so I know I'll have to book that right off the bat. But for the most part, I still let the deal guide me to my itinerary. I look for the best value. Sometimes that may be a balcony, other times Aqua Class or just an ocean view. It depends on the rate and what's included. I enjoy the hunt for the best deal.

Just as an FYI......I have a friend in Tech who works on websites for a a variety of hotel companies, conference planners etc. He said that when you log into your "Hotel frequent stayer account".....And check to see if the prices have been lowered on a specific reservation you are holding, the system can be written to note you are already holding a reservation and therefore only show you the higher rate you are holding.....

Where do cruise passengers get pricing info? Travel agents or Cruise Co. website. I would not be surprised if Celebrity puts this into their new website.... Thus customers who have already deposited would not get news about price drops and new customer bookings would be able to take advantage of lower and last minute deals without the "original passengers" requesting some sort of compensation for price drops......

Just an FYI....in the future it may be better to look for price drops WITHOUT logging into your Celebrity or Marriott account etc.....

Safe sails all!

Just as an FYI......I have a friend in Tech who works on websites for a a variety of hotel companies, conference planners etc. He said that when you log into your "Hotel frequent stayer account".....And check to see if the prices have been lowered on a specific reservation you are holding, the system can be written to note you are already holding a reservation and therefore only show you the higher rate you are holding.....

Where do cruise passengers get pricing info? Travel agents or Cruise Co. website. I would not be surprised if Celebrity puts this into their new website.... Thus customers who have already deposited would not get news about price drops and new customer bookings would be able to take advantage of lower and last minute deals without the "original passengers" requesting some sort of compensation for price drops......

Just an FYI....in the future it may be better to look for price drops WITHOUT logging into your Celebrity or Marriott account etc.....

You don't have to log in for them to identify you. If you want an eye-opening experience view the cookies the site leaves on your browser. The SHOPPER_LOGIN cookie gives them your username if it hasn't cleared since the last time you logged on.

Cookies are not bad in and of themselves; they prevent you from having to log in all the time to various sites. But if a cruise line wanted to implement "passenger based pricing" they could through the use of cookies. Imagine how great it could be if customers that always removed gratuities automatically paid higher fares, or customers that complain and cause trouble for the staff had higher costs.

On Chrome, you can see the cookies associated with a site by simply following this process: http://screencast.com/t/9Fdj7JLRCg

How do you folk get enough FF Miles to travel Business class ? We charge everything to our United Mileage Plus card but it takes a long time to amass enough for Business tickets to Europe. We are paying for flights to Miami and Copenhagen for two cruises this year - saving miles for Business next year.

How do you folk get enough FF Miles to travel Business class ? We charge everything to our United Mileage Plus card but it takes a long time to amass enough for Business tickets to Europe. We are paying for flights to Miami and Copenhagen for two cruises this year - saving miles for Business next year.

If you follow some of the travel blog sites you can keep on top of which credit cards to sign up for to earn United and American bonus miles (and others but if you want to travel Business. Just don't go crazy and pay off each month; it is amazing all the ways you can charge things and earn the sign up bonus typically within 90 days of opening the card by spending a certain amount.