When to do online check in?

bookmomoftwins

We're cruising in a few weeks and noticed that the Carnival site is already suggesting we "check in"-- how early before the cruise are we supposed to do this? I'm so used to airline check-in being 24 hours or less before the flight that checking in to the cruise weeks in advance seems a bit early, but I wasn't sure. Thanks!

There's a (in my experience very small) chance that they'll change your room in the days leading up to embarkation, but in general I print out my e-ticket and baggage tags when they become available and check on it once a week or so to verify that it hasn't changed.

My travel agent sent me another notice to print my e-tickets this week so I got my hopes up but it didn't change. :)

Occasionally people report having trouble logging into the booking section of the cruise lines' websites, so I try not to put it off too long.

Edited by Underwatr

We're cruising in a few weeks and noticed that the Carnival site is already suggesting we "check in"-- how early before the cruise are we supposed to do this? I'm so used to airline check-in being 24 hours or less before the flight that checking in to the cruise weeks in advance seems a bit early, but I wasn't sure. Thanks!

Really makes little difference, as long as you do it before the cut off time. We do it as soon as we can, so that if there's something amiss, like a passport or credit card that's expiring, we have max time to deal with the issue.

As soon as we book a cruise, HAL shows "please check in now". But I don't bother filling in the information that soon.

HAL will send a reminder about 50 days before the cruise to fill in the information. I still don't fill out the forms.

About 2 weeks before we are to leave I complete the information, print out the first page for each of us and print out as many luggage tags as we need.

Maybe we need a more precise definition of online checkin.

If we're referring to filling in the passport and emergency contact information, I do that as soon as practical after booking (repeat passengers should discover that much of the data is pre-populated).

If we're referring to printing out the e-tickets and baggage tags, that is done when they become available a few weeks before the cruise, but I'll keep checking closer to embarkation to verify that my cabin number and arrival time haven't changed.

Now that Carnival has started the "staggered embarkation time" process for many ships and home ports, I like to do my online check-in as soon as possible so I get a good check-in time. I don't print anything until a week or two before the cruise, so my documents reflect all charges and payments.

Anytime you want...just so you know, you can still board without doing ANYTHING on the computer!!!

Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Requirements: The DHS requires cruise lines to provide a final passenger manifest two hours before departure.

This deadline by the DHS is why cruise lines ask their passengers to provide certain personal information well in advance.