Additional tips: How much?

Debbers

We are planning our fourth O cruise, once again in a PH. Our TA included prepaid gratuities. If (more likely, when) we make an additional tip, what is the general range? I should know this after three cruises, so perhaps we have been grossly under- or over-tipping the butler and steward. :confused:

We are planning our fourth O cruise, once again in a PH. Our TA included prepaid gratuities. If (more likely, when) we make an additional tip, what is the general range? I should know this after three cruises, so perhaps we have been grossly under- or over-tipping the butler and steward. :confused:

There are several schools of thought, and each is something you personal need to decide is ok with you

1. Unless you are requesting all sorts of special things, requests and pleas do this or that's out of the norm... then the daily gratuity of $46 a day is fine Bar tipping....your already paying 18% that enough. So if your a normal person, not demanding and high maintenance then the prepaid gratuity is fine and no more

2 You place a lot of demands on staff and require numerous special requests... and think the staff is way under paid, then tip according to your personal feelings as to the value to you for the fulfillment of your desires... There is no hard amount...its all your feeling

3 A combination of 1 and 2 You leave 5 to $10 a day extra for cabin/ butler to enjoy... Not more than that as they are still getting the auto tip as well.... Throwing money around to impress and indenture staff is rather crude in my book....

So...Let your heart be your guide, while its nice to recognize good service dont over do it. Remember that these people come from countries where the salary the receive from O is considered very high, even though to you it may seem terrible... They are happy to return to their home countries very well to do.... So dont tip from guilt.

If we are pleased with the service and attention of anyone on the ship we tip more- housekeepers, bar tenders , wait staff ...the amount depends on the length of the cruise

We have met some awesome folks on our cruises

Do what feels good

We will take our first O cruise next summer and have the impression that tipping is automatic, either added to individual bills or put on the invoice each night. Would most passengers tip extra in addition? Thanks.

Yes gratuities are added automatically to your onboard account

Some will get PPG from their TA's or loyalty benefits etc..

Giving extra to the staff is a personal choice... not required but if you feel like someone made you feel extra special then feel free to tip extra

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

We always give extra to cabin steward, assistant and butler because we feel they take exceptional care of us. Amount depends on length of cruise and how much they went out of their way to go the extra mile for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We always give extra to cabin steward, assistant and butler because we feel they take exceptional care of us. Amount depends on length of cruise and how much they went out of their way to go the extra mile for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We generally will give extra to our butler and cabin steward as the always do a good job for us and our tips are usually included. :):):)

Sometimes it is not how much but whom. We recently returned from a 26 day back to back cruise on the Riviera.

I think most Cruise Critic regulars already know that cruise lines pay based upon wage rates of the staff person's home country. So, what you think is a small additional tip may be large to the person receiving the tip. It may also go home to help others.

I often tip based upon not only how I am treated and served, but how I see other passengers treated and served. I tipped a server at the Riviera Terrace

$10.00 US and 10.00 Euro's and was thanked twice and told it was too much

(it was probably too little).

I also tipped the Terrace grill chef who almost always got my grill order

exactly right. He seemed surprised like no one had ever tipped him in person.

Final note, even better than a cash tip is letting their boss know they have done well by you. I went into Toscana on evening and saw a waitress who had done an excellent job in the Terrace. When asked about seating, I requested a table where she would be serving us and stated because "she was an excellent waitress". As we were leaving the table, after dining, she came out to us and thanked us. It was obvious that her staff superiors had taken notice of my request.

I should preface this by saying that we are from Switzerland and we do not have a "tipping culture" here as service and tips is always included in all quoted prices... but we also realise that in other places things are done differently and that on the Oceania ships we are in an American atmosphere - so...

We cruise in Suites and so have the Butler and Cabin attendant to think about - and sometimes there are two of each of them. (Was on our last cruise) Butler and Assistant, Stewardess and her Assistant. We generally give the main Butler $100, and $50 to the Stewardess. $30 to $40 to the Assistant Butler (depending on how much he has done for us) and $20 to the Asst Steward. That is per week... not per cruise. We do ask the Butler to do quite a bit for us - cocktail party, dinner party etc from time to time.

We do not tip the dining room staff or the bar staff - we hardly ever go to a bar anyway - but we do leave money at the Reception Desk for the Crew Fund to cover these people. - Maybe about $50/week. Certainly no more.

I have heard from an Oceania General Manager that Regent and Oceania salaries for crew are about the best in the business and staff are told not to expect tips on top of the daily amounts levied via the on board accounts. He also said that no crew member would refuse a tip - but that it is not expected to total 10-15% of the cruise fare which apparently it is on some lines.

We just got off Sirena this past Wednesday. Here is our take on what to tip...

If the Room Steward (or Stewardess) does a good job (90-95% of the time he/she does), we tip an add'l $20-$30 for a week. Oceania actually has 2 steward/stewardesses per room, and our last cruise was 10 days so I tipped them an additional $35 each. They were outstanding. I think the money is well appreciated.

If a waiter or bar tender or someone else does an exceptionally good job, an additional $5-10 for that person. We had someone that was personally assisting my wife with her plate every meal in Terrace. He was tipped. In the past, if a Matre D' got us help with a reservation or in some other way accommodated us beyond the normal, I would tip them $10 or $20.

You can get tipping envelopes at the front desk.

Realize too that we are automatically tipping $16 per day, or a total of $320 for a 10 day cruise divided (supposedly) among the staff. Also a hefty 18% tagged on to pretty pricey drinks and spa services.

I did have a great massage on a discounted rate, and it was approaching Christmas, so I gave the massage therapist an additional $20.

Everyone has a different opinion on this, but I think we are right on the ball. If you got "Free Gratuities" (sort of an oxymoron), I would probably throw a bit more money around however!

Edited by curtdesilets

• 1 month later...
We just got off Sirena this past Wednesday. Here is our take on what to tip...

If the Room Steward (or Stewardess) does a good job (90-95% of the time he/she does), we tip an add'l $20-$30 for a week. Oceania actually has 2 steward/stewardesses per room, and our last cruise was 10 days so I tipped them an additional $35 each. They were outstanding. I think the money is well appreciated.

If a waiter or bar tender or someone else does an exceptionally good job, an additional $5-10 for that person. We had someone that was personally assisting my wife with her plate every meal in Terrace. He was tipped. In the past, if a Matre D' got us help with a reservation or in some other way accommodated us beyond the normal, I would tip them $10 or $20.

You can get tipping envelopes at the front desk.

Realize too that we are automatically tipping $16 per day, or a total of $320 for a 10 day cruise divided (supposedly) among the staff. Also a hefty 18% tagged on to pretty pricey drinks and spa services.

I did have a great massage on a discounted rate, and it was approaching Christmas, so I gave the massage therapist an additional $20.

Everyone has a different opinion on this, but I think we are right on the ball. If you got "Free Gratuities" (sort of an oxymoron), I would probably throw a bit more money around however!

Our Friends are interested in booking a balcony cabin B1 or B2 on Oceania & asked what the Hotel Service Charge AKA Auto Tip was..

Apparently it's not indicated on "O"'s WEB site.. It's been 6 years since we last cruised on Oceania.. Is it $16 per day per person or is it more..

Believe it or not, did not see tips/Hotel Service charges mentioned on this forum until I found this thread.. I'm making up a packet for them on Oceania cabins & itineraries & also on HAL cabins & itineraries.. My Friend is a wine drinker only & her DH only drinks soft drinks.. Therefore I suggested she purchase HAL's wine package but don't see a wine package on "O's site..Can she take "O's Beverage package using the promo fare & just get wine or should she take the cruise only fare & purchase wine on board..

They do not like long cruises so I've pulled up 7 cruises on HAL for them to consider between 10 & 14 days & the NYC to Montreal cruise on "O".. Have no idea which one they will choose.. We may decide to go along with them depending on the date & only if it's 14 days..The longer the better for us..:cool:

Thanks for any advice..:D

Our Friends are interested in booking a balcony cabin B1 or B2 on Oceania & asked what the Hotel Service Charge AKA Auto Tip was..

Apparently it's not indicated on "O"'s WEB site.. It's been 6 years since we last cruised on Oceania.. Is it $16 per day per person or is it more..

Believe it or not, did not see tips/Hotel Service charges mentioned on this forum until I found this thread.. I'm making up a packet for them on Oceania cabins & itineraries & also on HAL cabins & itineraries.. My Friend is a wine drinker only & her DH only drinks soft drinks.. Therefore I suggested she purchase HAL's wine package but don't see a wine package on "O's site..Can she take "O's Beverage package using the promo fare & just get wine or should she take the cruise only fare & purchase wine on board..

They do not like long cruises so I've pulled up 7 cruises on HAL for them to consider between 10 & 14 days & the NYC to Montreal cruise on "O".. Have no idea which one they will choose.. We may decide to go along with them depending on the date & only if it's 14 days..The longer the better for us..:cool:

Thanks for any advice..:D

From O website

What is your gratuity policy?

How much you choose to tip is a personal matter and completely at your discretion. For your convenience, the following gratuities are automatically added to your shipboard account.

• For guests occupying staterooms, gratuities of $16.00 per guest, per day will be added.
  • For guests occupying Penthouse, Oceania, Vista or Owner's Suites where Butler Service is provided, gratuities of $23.00 per guest, per day will be added.
  • In addition, an 18% service gratuity is automatically added to all beverage purchases, spa services and dinner at La Reserve. Naturally, guests may adjust gratuities while on board the vessel at their sole discretion.
  • https://www.oceaniacruises.com/faq/

Depends on if they want to wine by the glass & how much they drink in a day if the package is a better deal or not

The beverage package with the O Life offering in for wine & beer at lunch & dinner

There is also wine by the bottle package or they can bring their own & pay the corkage fee ($25) to take it to the dining venues

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/value/beverage-packages/

From O website

What is your gratuity policy?

How much you choose to tip is a personal matter and completely at your discretion. For your convenience, the following gratuities are automatically added to your shipboard account.

• For guests occupying staterooms, gratuities of $16.00 per guest, per day will be added.
  • For guests occupying Penthouse, Oceania, Vista or Owner's Suites where Butler Service is provided, gratuities of $23.00 per guest, per day will be added.
  • In addition, an 18% service gratuity is automatically added to all beverage purchases, spa services and dinner at La Reserve. Naturally, guests may adjust gratuities while on board the vessel at their sole discretion.
  • https://www.oceaniacruises.com/faq/

Depends on if they want to wine by the glass & how much they drink in a day if the package is a better deal or not

The beverage package with the O Life offering in for wine & beer at lunch & dinner

There is also wine by the bottle package or they can bring their own & pay the corkage fee ($25) to take it to the dining venues

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/value/beverage-packages/

Thanks..I looked at that WEB site & I could not find any of the info you quote..Appreciate your help..

I apologize for not having carefully read through all the answers tonight -- it's a while since I looked at this thread.

But the answer is that there is NO right answer to your question. Give what you think is appropriate. If you think nothing is appropriate, give nothing.

When we give extra tips at the end of the cruise -- which I confess we just about never did when we were paying the recommended amount for gratuities -- it's always different. How much service did that person give?

Whatever extra you may give I am sure will be appreciated.

Mura

I apologize for not having carefully read through all the answers tonight -- it's a while since I looked at this thread.

But the answer is that there is NO right answer to your question. Give what you think is appropriate. If you think nothing is appropriate, give nothing.

When we give extra tips at the end of the cruise -- which I confess we just about never did when we were paying the recommended amount for gratuities -- it's always different. How much service did that person give?

Whatever extra you may give I am sure will be appreciated.

Mura

We feel the same way. Usually we give extra to our butler because of the great service he gives to us. :)

• 1 month later...

Related to tip information is tips for your shore excursions. We are going on a Mediterranean cruise at the end of the month and received an Oceania Cruises Essential Travel Guide. I'm not sure if this was specific to this cruise itinerary so it may be different for other destinations. It states: Suggested gratuity amounts are $1.00 USD for the driver and $2.50 USD for the local city guide per guest for half-day excursions, and $2.00 USD for the driver and $4.00 USD for the local city guide per guest for the full- day excursions.

For our Princess Cruise last August we went on full day private tours with SPB Tours and their recommended tips were based on the tour cost and were 5% for the driver and 10% for the guide per person. This amounted to between $7 to $13 per couple for the driver and $14 to $25 per couple for the guide. I'm not sure if this difference was due to the destinations or the fact that they were not subsidized by Princess.

We will take our first O cruise next summer and have the impression that tipping is automatic, either added to individual bills or put on the invoice each night. Would most passengers tip extra in addition? Thanks.

I can't answer for most passengers bit we always give additional tips (butler and housekeeper). Also if there is a particular server that merits our attention we give them something.

Related to tip information is tips for your shore excursions. We are going on a Mediterranean cruise at the end of the month and received an Oceania Cruises Essential Travel Guide. I'm not sure if this was specific to this cruise itinerary so it may be different for other destinations. It states: Suggested gratuity amounts are $1.00 USD for the driver and $2.50 USD for the local city guide per guest for half-day excursions, and $2.00 USD for the driver and $4.00 USD for the local city guide per guest for the full- day excursions.

I just want to understand this.... is this what Oceania suggest for Oceania excursions? If so, this is good information to know! I am about to take my first Oceania excursions with OLife.

I have never seen an Oceania EssentialTravel Guide.

Related to tip information is tips for your shore excursions. We are going on a Mediterranean cruise at the end of the month and received an Oceania Cruises Essential Travel Guide. I'm not sure if this was specific to this cruise itinerary so it may be different for other destinations. It states:

I have not seen this travel guide either ... did it come from Oceania or your TA?

Maybe it is something new ?

We usually do private tours & tip at least 10% of the tour cost pp

Lyn, I agree with 10% for private, but never thought about the tours with 30 or so people!

We rarely do the ship's tours but the amounts posted seem to be about what we may tip pp when we have done the bus tours

depends on the guide we may tip more

I have not seen this travel guide either ... did it come from Oceania or your TA?

Maybe it is something new ?

We usually do private tours & tip at least 10% of the tour cost pp

It did come from our TA. Much of the info was also contained in Oceania's FAQ section although I did not see a reference to the shore excursion tipping so perhaps that was an addition from our TA.