LIVE: Explorer's First Holiday | Dec. 18-28

DEC 23

St. Bart's - AKA The Day Our Cruise Finally Felt Like a Cruise

Visiting St. Bart's after going to St. Maarten is like upgrading from a Royal Caribbean mega-ship (but not the fun ones) to a Regent. If you've never been, get yourself there at some point. It's home to some of the nicest yachts, scenery, and just general ambiance I've seen on a Caribbean island. We anchored early and were the first tour out...Sailing the Leeward Coast at 0800. Yikes. I'm typically a morning person but that was a bit of a stretch, even for me.

The weather was very nice so I figured I'd look forward to it as a nice sailboat ride if nothing else and I could always take a nap in the sun. Upon arrival (with much calmer tenders than the first day), we were shuffled along with a group of 20 towards the sailboats, a whole 10 steps. A+ Regent. The woman running our tour then informed us we'd be split up onto 2 sailboats so that there would only be in groups of about 9/10. A++. We could already tell this day was going to be better than the previous.

And that it was. We took about an hour sail to a small beach. Simply beautiful. I can't really say much more but just picture the best scenery, weather and conditions possible and this was it. The rain came down for juuuust a second but the covered part of the ship just became our seat for a moment. My dad and I were joined by another couple and a family of 5 with all 3 kids of college-age and we all had good conversation the whole time. Our crew was delightful and prepared us some snacks while we anchored off a beach. It was a bit chilly following the rain so I didn't go for a swim but there was a beautiful white beach and some old ruins that were climbable. The scenery was enough for me and I was loving it.

46cb016fbb62177441a86b82befce726.jpg

After the tour we went back to the ship to have lunch because while St. Bart's has beautiful restaurants, as the infamous Chefwoody said, $$$$$$$. Like, a bottle of water was more than a bottle of beer. $1.50 more to be exact. $14 for both. This is what I get for trying to be healthy. My dad needed a bag of cough drops and paid $9.50. We came back a few hours later after changing into clothes that made us look like we belonged there (haha) and cruises the marina looking at the heinous, insane yachts and homes up on the mountains from down below. After cruising the town and some stores, we were ready to return back to the ship. We love St. Bart's and that was our 3rd time there...we'd go back any time. If we ever take a cruise to the Caribbean again (which may not happen for a while as we feel we need a change of scenery) and it stops in St. Maarten, we will take the ferry over to St. Bart's so we can stay there longer.

fef379df3d1f3cdf444b1853d3f4ed73.jpg

Mixed Nuts got 3 in Trivia later that afternoon. No, not 3rd place. 3 correct questions. Oy.

Dinner was at Pacific Rim. The BEST dinner we've had thus far. I had the pot stickers and the spare ribs, Dad had the duck salad and lobster tempura. I have no words, it was simply delicious. Service was impeccable, decor was elegant...there was something about the room that makes me feel like it's okay to have a conversation at normal volume. I don't feel that way in Chartreuse. Good food but the ambiance is like everyone is tip-toeing and whispering. Some people may love that and this may be where my age comes into play but it's not my cup of tea. We loved Pacific Rim and are trying to get back in on the last night.

The evening entertainment was the piano playing and entertainment of Stephen Kane. He was such high energy and incredibly talented--I loved it. He got the crowd excited and it was a great show. St. Bart's, you've done it again. Here's a gorgeous shot of the Explorer I took from our sailboat. I tweeted it to Regent and they liked it :)

84eb4d3463a8e4da9ca033baf10d2377.jpg

- - -

Merry Christmas from Cayo Levantado! The ship has been celebrating like mad, lots of fun posts to follow :) we just finished caviar and champagne breakfast (well I had eggs) and are headed to the beach! Hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Happy Holidays!

-Amanda

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A bit of Christmas Eve... 4209038cacb96c095c1a59c1075cf987.jpg

432d61038c57fc1c833518028bfef3dc.jpg

a4519f34c1e033baa5f3a0cde111f4f6.jpg

d6fb45c3f121e1cffbf69f1b6a10da19.jpg

Our Christmas gift from Regent were some blank cards and a pen. I think the entire ship was underwhelmed. No offense to Regent but we have been mailed nicer things throughout the years....felt a bit odd.

37d2f7cd5f15fb68ea1dd976479b1488.jpg

cca24dd71c0ff24cb599b6f18746eb23.jpg

Christmas Concert/Sing-A-Long

DEC 25 - CHRISTMAS IN CAYO LEVANTADO

Christmas aboard the Seven Seas Explorer is a truly a lovely day. However, this was my first experience in all of my Regent cruises we had been in port. Might as well have been a private island! Cayo Levantado was beautiful. We arrived around 8 AM and were greeted with a few rain showers and a few rainbows. Caviar and Champagne breakfast was on the menu as was eggs Benedict and the most perfectly cooked sunny-side eggs I've ever had.

We had a tour scheduled for 9:55 AM as a "Beach Break" which was 5 hours and included a BBQ lunch. Little did we know that nearly everyone on the ship was signed up for a beach break, more or less. Cayo Levantado is a very small island with a beautiful beach front and beach chairs. If you were not going on one of the more adventurous excursions (hiking, keep safari) then you either chose the beach or stayed on the ship.

We used the local Cayo Levantado tenders and they ran back and forth the entire day so you were free to leave whenever you'd like. As far as I know, it was open bar and open BBQ because I never saw anyone pay for anything. I could be wrong. (There was a hotel on the island that provided the food and beverages.)

648ae538d6ac49bddac7e8d08e6866fb.jpg

Since we had the spent the previous day at the beach, we didn't stay as long as our "tour" intended and went back to have lunch on the ship. The weather was now stunningly sunny so we relaxed by the pool a bit more. Trivia was MUCH better but we still managed to fall in 4th place.

After we departed Cayo Levantado at 6, John came over the loud speaker (in the ROOMS which never happens) to say that Santa Clause would be arriving in the atrium in 2 minutes and that all kids up to age 9 were wanted. (Older kids gifts were delivered to them the night before.) Normally when the ship is at sea, Santa comes around 10 AM so they had to rally to make sure everyone would be on board. It made me incredibly nostalgic remembering my many Christmases aboard Regent as a kid & it was the cutest thing I've seen all week. (The funniest part was John leading it and calling out the names of the kids and when it got to his own, they were no-where to be found. They arrived as they were ending the occasion and were able to get their presents, of course, but it was pretty funny.)

c4e4d9a9372e44f01cc6c877e590d345.jpg

We ate dinner with our new cruise friends Tim & Mary-Glen and the Christmas menu was fantastic. They had traditional turkey with all the fixings and it was delicious. I thought I had taken a picture of the menu but I can't find it--trust me when I say it was absolutely perfect. I think I forgot to mention this yesterday but the whole ship was dressed to the 9's. Plenty of jackets and ties and lots of festive dresses. It was really nice and made the occasional feel even more special. We had planned on dressing informal on Christmas Eve and Christmas and everyone else seemed to follow.

Entertainment that evening was the magician/comedian Bob Trunell. He started off so painfully slow I thought half the room was going to get up and leave. Luckily it did pick up and improve and some of his tricks were actually very good. It was a pretty short show and definitely wasn't the highlight of the evening. Following the show, there was Christmas Kareoke in the Explorer Lounge. Feeling this crowd is on the younger side and everyone is feeling super festive , I went. Some of entertainers came in too and actually was pretty fun! We gained an hour back that night so I stayed pretty late with some people there that were around my age. It's a bummer it took me well over half the cruise to find them but regardless, they were found and it was wonderful.

Hi Amanda - I've been enjoying reading your posts on the thread. I think you've brought some real energy and refreshing observations to "the party".

The menu you posted looked really good. However, I was wondering what a "Roasted Christmas Goose Prune" was? Is it larger or smaller than a "regular prune"? :p

Hi Amanda - I've been enjoying reading your posts on the thread. I think you've brought some real energy and refreshing observations to "the party".

The menu you posted looked really good. However, I was wondering what a "Roasted Christmas Goose Prune" was? Is it larger or smaller than a "regular prune"? :p

Honestly, no idea hahaha I don't recall them looking different from any other prunes but perhaps they were in a different sauce??

I believe that was a joke, but just in case, "Roast Christmas Goose" was in bolder print, like all of the other entrees. After which the sauces and sides are listed, as in "Prunes in Armagnac"....

I believe that was a joke, but just in case, "Roast Christmas Goose" was in bolder print, like all of the other entrees. After which the sauces and sides are listed, as in "Prunes in Armagnac"....

Ohhhh oh I see it now [emoji23] yes....definitely just regular ol prunes

Well, "regular ol' prunes" rarely come dosed with Armagnac.

(Though perhaps they should, thereby simultaneously relieving both stress and constipation...)

Edited by JPR

DEC 26

AT SEA

Our final sea day followed Christmas and we awoke to absolutely beautiful blue skies and quite a bit of wind.

At 11 AM that morning, my dad and I met with Jeff, the executive concierge and Petar, the environmental officer. We had asked Jeff it was possible to spread some of my mom's ashes while we were at sea. She was a very avid cruiser and hand-wrote in her will that she wished for her ashes to be spread at sea and for us to "take a cruise and celebrate her life." She passed last September and while she and my dad divorced when I was very young, it was our first cruise without her being alive and it was a very special time for us. They were more than happy to accommodate our request (they even had to get permission from the captain as they have to change the course to fit the wind speed and direction.) They brought us a bouquet of roses to throw overboard as well. (Petar was present as a maritime law whenever anything is thrown overboard.) It really reminded me of one of those moments where Regent goes above and beyond and tries to do everything to make you feel special. We got to thank the captain personally that evening and he was very happy he could accommodate us as well.

As far as the rest of the day goes, it was pretty mellow. I wish I had more to say...everything was great! My dad and I came to the realization that we didn't really know what day it was or anything of that nature and we loved it. Everyone was so-o-o relaxed. Bingo was insane that day--someone won the first game within 8 numbers being called. They hadn't even finished calculating the total. The final jackpot ended up being around $227.50. No, I didn't win it. Ugh. Better luck next cruise.

We didn't win trivia either. 4th place YET AGAIN. My hopes for something other than a bookmark at the Regent Rewards exchange were looking slim.

Before dinner was Krew Kapers & Captain's Farewell. Apparently, we drank HALF the amount of alcohol from the previous cruise. Probably because 1/10 of the ship was underage.

That night we were invited to dine with Daniela, the Food and Beverage Director along with Sandy (also known as thundery) and her husband Terry and another couple. It was my first time dining with an officer so yes, I felt incredibly special. I didn't feel so special when I had to leave dinner a bit early (oops...well, to be fair, we were on dessert...) to catch the production show, Paradis, that evening. It has a French twist and was stunning. The costumes and dancing were out of this WORLD beautiful. Kristen, one of the dancers, did aerial silks and was so great. I honestly don't think I recognized a single song but it was so visually satisfying that I didn't mind. It was a rocky night but no one fell so kudos to that cast! I know I've raved on about them a lot but I've gotta say, if you're cruising with this bunch of entertainers you're in for a treat. Special shoutout to: Hunter, Annie, Mark and Kristen. Lots of talent and energy in that group. (Ok I love them all so I'll just shoutout to the rest too...Tyler, Clara, Nick, Shannen, Pasha & Ana (ballroom dancers) and Stephanie and Paul <-- THE cutest married couple around.)

Following the show the entertainers had a small mixer in the Meridien Lounge with whomever they invited for a few drinks. I was lucky enough to be invited and it was a great time. I think it was mutually wonderful to be with people our own age. They all wished we could stay on for the next leg to LA. Trust me. I do too.....

We literally closed the bar (it was only 12:30....sigh, Regent) but enjoyed it nonetheless. I had to ditch my Mixed Nuts in Name That Tune but my Dad went in my place and they got 2ND!! BOOKMARKS FOR ALL!!

Thank you so much doyouseawhatisea(love your CC name!) for your wonderful daily posts. I have enjoyed everyone and felt like I was there right with you. As a mom I was especially touched by the way you carried out your Mothers last wishes and Regent's help with it.

You write beautifully and I wish you and your Dad many more fulfilling travels together. You are a daughter that would make any parent proud.

We board the Explorer in 3 weeks.

Amanda - Kudos to both you and your Dad! I certainly enjoyed "sailing along" with you. ((Yes JPR, the comment about the prunes was a joke. :D)) Because of your upbeat reviews and obvious enjoyment throughout the trip, you've now got me thinking again about a possible future Regent cruise for myself and DW.

Best Regards.

DEC 27 & Part 1 of my wrap-up

I wish I had more to say about our last full day onboard. I don't, for a few reasons. Well, just two.

1.) We were in Nassau, Bahamas: an armpit of the Caribbean, been there/done that, we were joined by 5 mega-ships

2.) I was struck with the plague.

Not really but gosh, it felt like it. I could barely walk around the deck in the morning and spent a large portion of the morning sitting in bed watching Pirates of the Caribbean and drinking tea and water. I wish I could blame my dad but we didn't really have the same symptoms so this was it's own thing. Hooray.

I felt a bit more alive when Trivia rolled around and Mixed Nuts and we got 3rd! A solid performance. 4 of our teammates will be going to Cuba on the Mariner in April so they can keep our streak going.

We went to dinner but part of my plague was god-awful esophageal acid reflux so dinner didn't go very well. I went back to the room to pack and tried to go to the show (Stephan Kane) but couldn't stay awake so to sleep I went. And the next thing you know, we were pulling into the Port of Miami....

So the last day didn't go as planned. It's alright. I would much rather be sick on the last day than the first. I had an amazing 8.5 days and wouldn't have changed a thing except for meeting people my own age on night 1 or 2.

To wrap it all up, I'll leave you with a list of some of my favorite parts of the cruise. There were ups and downs the whole week but these are the "moments" that make your cruise special. Some a bit more serious than others.

•The entirety of Christmas Eve Day from the port (Tortola) to the dinner, to the caroling & the show.

•The entire entertainment staff: John Barron (CD), Olivia (ACD), Amanda (Social Hostess), & the whole cast.

•The crab cake in Prime 7

•John Barron's Christmas Show with not only the cast but other crew members as well

•The service in Compass Rose

•Pacific Rim in general, amazing.

(Okay I have one more point and it's regarding children as I know most of the readers travel when children are not on board so you may or may not be curious!)

There were people on the ship that LOVED the kids and there were (some, not all) people on the ship that HATED the kids.

The crew, was the former. I can't even tell you how incredibly kind they were to the families. I witnessed this the whole week but especially on two occasions:

1. Sometime throughout the week, one of the little girls, probably around 4 years old, had become buddies with Clara and Hunter, two of the entertainers. After we had caroled on Christmas Eve, she came up to them with two little gifts she had made--they were beaded necklaces, very much of something a 4-year-old would make. They graciously accepted them and wore them the entire night and the following day. Such a sweet gesture.

2. I sat behind 2 families at lunch on the pool grill yesterday when I emerged from my mild coma and watched two waiters attend to a group of ~12 with a few adults and a few kids. The waiter walked the kids over to the pool grill, helped the kids get some potato chips because she was too short to reach them, and then walked her back and said, "Okay Gabby, what will we have today? Slice of cheese pizza and a plain hot dog?" The girl nodded and smiled as did the mom. The waiter knew exactly what they wanted and made them feel special and for whatever reason, it really touched my heart.

I have more to say and pictures to post but I've said tons already so we can stop for now! But don't worry, I'll be back.

Thank you so much for sharing your cruise with us. So sorry you got sick on the last day. I was very touched by you and your father 's kind gesture to fulfil your mother's wishes.

Can't wait to see the pics!

Z and TB

It's incredibly touching and moving to know that your mums final wishes were granted in touch a personal and special way for you and your dad.

As you say Regent do go above and beyond and it sounds as though they were first class for you all.

Thanks so much for sharing this very special cruise with us all and taking us with you. Get better soon and have a very happy New Year when it comes.

Safe journey home, Jean.

John and I have really enjoyed your posts! You remind me very much of our daughter, now 34, but starting cruising at 9! Although she's "old" now, she's never forgotten the wonderful times that we had as a family aboard assorted ships. She too was a dancer and most of the dancers and entertainment staff were wonderful to her as well. She actually flirted with the idea of trying out with JAR and one other company.

It was also lovely to read how thoughtful and accomodatting Regent was with your Mom's memorial. We wish you and your Dad fair winds and following seas, and many more happy cruises!

& I'll sign off this forum with some of my favorite snapshots & videos from throughout the week. I'm so glad people took interest in reading about vacation & while the plague wore me out towards the end, it was truly a great trip. My dad and I both agree we're "high on Regent" yet again. Up next: *potentially* Navigator; next Christmas. LA to LA...Hawaii. Either that or the Explorer once more. Deposits made on the Nav but we may change it around. Until next time! And thank you so very much for reading!!! :)

-Amanda

7c8bebffc37d64cb8c8deef490bd9f2f.jpg

10ccc4094e3cf834d4edc28484ae2930.jpg693d2770b0f5da03af689800ce8b752c.jpghttps://vimeo.com/197471925

https://vimeo.com/197471958

https://vimeo.com/197472003

Amanda, I have really enjoyed reading your posts.

It sounds like you had a very poignant and memorable holiday with your father. Your photos & videos were lovely to watch and your descriptions of your days have been a joy to read.

I was particularly interested in your comments about children on board, having travelled on the Explorer in September with my 13-year-old daughter. The crew back then were extremely kind to her and always remembered her favourite drink, whichever bar or restaurant we happened to be in. It's good to hear they continue to extend such kindness and consideration to the littlest of their passengers.

Safe journey home.

Amanda, I just wanted to add my voice to the appreciation chorus--your blog was an absolute delight, and so well reported. (I'm still thinking of your moving account of you and your dad fulfilling your mom's final wishes.) Great photo/video finish, too! Get well and have a terrific 2017.

Rich

Amanda,

Thank you for both your posts on this cruise (very moving tribute to your mother) as well as your input on your Semester at Sea - my youngest embarks on the Spring 2017 journey in six days - I've loved reading your stories and poring over your photos. It's helping me survive the next 99 1/2 days until we embark on Explorer.

Thanks again, and Happy New Year!

Amanda - very nice job, no one high jacked, made negative comments or any other bad behavior that has happened on other posts. Let's all start 2017 following this blog as a way to review a cruise. It was also great to see a review from someone under 40. I sad to hear about your Mom, but great to see the respect that Regent gave your request to honor your mothers wishes. Thanks again.