LIVE: Explorer's First Holiday | Dec. 18-28

I realize you are taking time away from your marvelous cruise with each post that you make. So, while I love every word (and picture), please only post when you have time.

I do have one question...... how many Regent cruises have you taken?

Thanks.

I realize you are taking time away from your marvelous cruise with each post that you make. So, while I love every word (and picture), please only post when you have time.

I do have one question...... how many Regent cruises have you taken?

Thanks.

You got it ;) I do enjoy writing them, I just do my best to keep current every day so I don't have to take a longer time to write it the following day! But never fear, most if not all is being written either when I wake up or am falling asleep or when I eat without my dad and need something to do :)

This is Regent cruise #11 for me, going all the way back to the Radisson days on the Diamond when I was 7. 1 Navigator, 2 Voyager and 6 Mariner. Can you guess which one is my favorite? The Explorer is absolutely lovely but my heart lies with the Mariner. :)

When I was younger, we frequently cruised on either a travel agent rate (from my mom) or a friends and family rate (from my dads friend) so our many of our cruises don't count towards our society status. (Not that I REALLY care but I've been sitting at Silver for 12 years...) haha ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If it's not too much, I would love to see more of your pics especially more of the ship's holiday decorations. Regardless, we are all appreciative for your time and effort. If you read this before arriving in PR, enjoy it and I hope you have time to explore old San Juan after your excursion. I used to run unofficial sightseeing and booze tours around the old city whenever I was in port and always had a blast. El Yunque is a very beautiful and serene place.

Z and TB

If it's not too much, I would love to see more of your pics especially more of the ship's holiday decorations. Regardless, we are all appreciative for your time and effort. If you read this before arriving in PR, enjoy it and I hope you have time to explore old San Juan after your excursion. I used to run unofficial sightseeing and booze tours around the old city whenever I was in port and always had a blast. El Yunque is a very beautiful and serene place.

Z and TB

Not too much at all and thank you! I woke up early today so I'll definitely go snap some pictures of the decorations after I go to the gym. And actually workout. And then eat :D

I am loving your posts! 1018 missing? That's us in 3 weeks and 4 days!

I did the hike in San Juan. Loved it but would have been better if we didn't have ladies along wearing sandals...with heels! And, people with umbrellas. It's a RAIN forest. You are supposed to get wet!

Keep it coming. I just love reading about the daily stuff, what you are doing, what you ate, I feel as if I'm with you. (Sorta glad I'm not; 50 kids? Yikes!)

Edited by purpleally

This responds to the OP's concern about eating a bagel and weight gain.

Bagel tip: They do indeed have a very high glycemic index but are delicious (especially a toasted sesame bagel).

Scrape out all or most of the insides and toast the shell. All the flavor (great with lox and/or soft scrambled eggs, or just butter--my way--or cream cheese) with a fraction of the carbs and calories. At home you can make croutons with the bagel "innards"...

Some photos to enjoy as we are en route to San Juan. I'm at the gym and it's going better but I'd rather be eating pancakes on my balcony....or yes, the delicious bagel I skipped out on today. Tomorrow :)

e2a87b6d8e17eb111f0fc340a86c5cd1.jpg

My egg white omelette with bacon, peppers and tomatoes and some fruit. I LOVE how much fresh fruit is readily available. Dad got Eggs Benedict and ate half before I received mine....

And here's some Christmas decorations! I think I missed a few trees but they're in every lounge.

50f8c5829e81508d562509cfce85b465.jpg

63b9edd0da1b5cfa249da7269a08a8dc.jpg

a57f4abc350b3239355f571e78a18817.jpg

2d9b844125fe2277f0e692a910c4be9f.jpg

The large tree sits in front of the elevators in the atrium.

Talk to you all after Puerto Rico!

Edited by doyouseawhatisea

I am loving reading your posts from the perspective of someone who "grew up" on Regent. Your observations are much the same as that of my sons, both who started cruising as kids and are veterans of club Mariner. And both are also really good at trivia. I like your team name BTW, may borrow it in the future.

Give John Barron my regards. He is a good friend. He was very excited when he told me his wife and kids were going to be onboard for Christmas.

I am loving your posts! 1018 missing? That's us in 3 weeks and 4 days!

I did the hike in San Juan. Loved it but would have been better if we didn't have ladies along wearing sandals...with heels! And, people with umbrellas. It's a RAIN forest. You are supposed to get wet!

Keep it coming. I just love reading about the daily stuff, what you are doing, what you ate, I feel as if I'm with you. (Sorta glad I'm not; 50 kids? Yikes!)

For the record. The kids so far have not been a problem at all and very well behaved. Not

Ike we experienced on the Mari er a couple of years ago on the Holiday cruise. Was,brutal. Most of these kids are teens and we never see them. Think they are on their phones texting all day😀😀

DEC 21 - San Juan, Puerto Rico

Well, it seems my dad and I have hit the point in our cruise where we haven't fully recovered from the travel and haven't had a solid night's sleep because he's been sick & I've been suffering through trying to sleep through his coughing. Once the beginning of the cruise excitement dwindles away, if you don't sleep well it's hard to be ready for a full day of adventures. It's 8:37 pm as I write this and we are in for the night, watching a movie. We made the executive decision that since our least favorite Caribbean port is tomorrow (St. Maarten) we will be taking the day to rest and relax. Since the high-points of the cruise (IMO, St. Bart's, Tortola and the Christmas celebrations) are yet to come, we've decided not to "push through" exhaustion and just stay on the ship tomorrow. We've been to St. Maarten at least half a dozen times and are underwhelmed each time. We've done snorkeling, the America's Cup 12 Metre Challenge (which is amazing), and shopping and we don't feel the need to do it again.

So, tomorrow we will sleep in and enjoy a lazy day, perhaps walking into town for a laugh or two later on in the day. We are there from 8 AM-Midnight as we only have 43 miles to go for the next port.

I'm getting ahead of myself. Today was a good day! I woke up early and had breakfast around 8...La Verandah was EMPTY and so quiet! I think the whole ship slept in since we didn't arrive in San Juan until 1 PM. Went to the gym this AM and then Christmas Choir rehearsal. We will have an informal performance on the 23rd with John and some of the singers in the atrium before dinner.

Our arrival into San Juan was stunningly beautiful as always and it was around 82 degrees today. My rainforest hike excursion was the first to go. There were 3 buses all with ~15 people on them, so the groups were small and our guide, Christian, was informative and helpful. The hike was not bad at all--1.5 miles round trip with a 20 minute stop at the waterfall in the middle. There were plenty of people swimming at the fall but I didn't dress accordingly to swim so I just climbed the rocks and felt the most instead. The only downside was the hour it took to get there and the hour it took to get back as that didn't allow for any time in the port. However, it was a refreshing change from a beach. The air in the forest felt so clean and fresh and it was a very comfortable temperature-- And absolutely beautiful and relaxing!

(And there were NO umbrellas or improper footwear in my group!!)

e1e0fd62e8db6e207f7bfb35856b9a7d.jpg

79f0c7501dc27e1639128fe84d108715.jpg

Upon returning to the ship, Dad and I decided we were way too tired to get ready for dinner but went up to try Sette Mari anyway. I think the exhaustion started to set in and we barely made it to our main course. Everything tasted fine but I just had absolutely no appetite and I was shivering from the AC. We will try it again another night.

I've ordered some chicken noodle soup from room service and just decided I don't have the energy to do anything else tonight. Sleep is calling my name. I'm looking forward to getting my energy and appetite back and enjoying the rest of my cruise at full-speed (whereas now I feel like I'm just drifting)...until tomorrow!

but my heart goes out to your dad. I do hope he improves. It is hard to travel and just continue full speed. I am hoping you have a sea day?

Try to let your health catch up with your body/bodies. Sleep tight if you have not already.

Hi all!

We survived the day and we're doing much better. My dad has a heinous tickle cough but once he woke up I slept for 3 more hours and then when we felt alive and thriving we went over to Marigot and Dad bought me some Christmas presents :)

Compass Rose for dinner tonight & My Revolution at showtime.

More later!

Douyouseawhatisea,

If your dad is not allergic to antihistamines, a Benadryl may actually help with the cough.

Obviously it's always best to check first with your doctor, assuming that, like mine, he responds to emails...

DEC 22

St. Maarten

We arrived bright & early to the Celebrity Silhouette balconies in our face and I immediately went back to sleep.

3 hours later, I finally felt alive and slowly made my way to the Coffee Connection (Corner? Cafe?) for toast and fruit. It was well after 10 AM at this point, almost 11, and while I am the biggest advocate of not sleeping through vacation, it was highly necessary today. While we had no plans to go ashore, we decided to try & upon entering St. Maarten, we remembered why we had no plans to go ashore. In my honest opinion, after having traveled to that town on every Caribbean cruise, it is old and tired and gross. The best thing to do on the Dutch side is the America's Cup Sailboat Race excursion. We did that back in 2010 and loved every second of it. We chose not to go back this year because you really only need to experience it once.

After walking through the cruise port which is a tourist trap of Diamonds International, we settled on taking a $20 cab to the French side of the island, Marigot. A wise move. My dad wants you all to know it was his idea. This is not false information, he just likes to brag.

The ride was scenic and we were dropped in the center of town where there was a bit of nice shopping and a small marina with some restaurants and shops. My dad bought me 2 LongChamp purses that I've been eyeing for quite sometime because they were HALF the price (!!!) than they are in the US. The weather was just alright and was mainly hot & humid with a few rain showers scattered here and there.

9f6d6f7b5d871e95bf4b8d15120a93ff.jpg

After struggling to get a cab back to the ship, we ended up flagging one down that was carrying honeymooning Celebrity passengers from Austria giving them a full-island tour! They graciously allowed us to join and hop on so we can now say we have seen the entirety of St. Maarten. (Including a herd of 24 wild iguanas and a nude beach that we did not stay at.)

By then it was nearly time for Celebrity to leave but they were delayed an hour for a medical emergency. They had to bring an ambulance down to the gangway and we don't know what happened but we hope all is well. They sailed away and we waved from our balcony. (Digression: Yesterday, our GIGANTIC balcony furniture was exchanged for smaller, wooden chairs. Same chairs, just smaller. We don't know when, we don't know how, but we are very happy they did.)

07af88c998f1683f3b6aa54e3b8308db.jpg

Dinner was in Compass Rose. I had chicken, Dad had salmon. It was great.

Now moving on to the highlight of the night: MY REVOLUTION. (The show.)

I've said it before I think but this group of singers and dancers are the most friendly and talented (and attractive...) I've seen in all my years on Regent, going back to the days of Peter Grey Terhune. Maybe it's because I love a great toe-tapper and I'm a huge Broadway nerd but I thought the vocals, dancing, costumes, energy, storyline....everything was amazing. I wish they hadn't waited so many nights to do the show and I wish there was the capability to do one every night. I'll be front and center for the next one.