Alaskan Cruise Decision - HELP!!!

mvaughn11

This is my first post to start a thread so please be gentle…

Traditionally, we are warm weather cruisers who loves topical, exotic locales. This Summer, we're taking an Alaskan Cruise that DW has been wanting to go on for a long time. We'll probably only go once, since we do love the warmer weather so much, so I want to make sure that we make this one special and see and experience the best.

So, decisions, decisions... Princess offers a lot of options. It’s a little overwhelming; so, I seek your opinions and advice.

There are four cruises we’re considering. Most go to several of the same places but it seems everyone has a slightly different itinerary. So the opinion/advice we seek is this: if we are only going on an Alaskan cruise once, what place(s) are a must see and which ones you could take it or leave it. The options are: Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay National Park, College Fjord, Victoria, Tracy Arm Fjord, Inside Passage, Hubbard Glacier.

Also, for us, the ship experience is always important. Which of these ships do you like or dislike and why: Ruby Princess, coral Princess, Star Princess, and Emerald Princess.

Thanks in advance for help in making this big decision easier!

-Mark

"There are four cruises we’re considering. Most go to several of the same places but it seems everyone has a slightly different itinerary. So the opinion/advice we seek is this: if we are only going on an Alaskan cruise once, what place(s) are a must see and which ones you could take it or leave it. The options are: Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay National Park, College Fjord, Victoria, Tracy Arm Fjord, Inside Passage, Hubbard Glacier.

Also, for us, the ship experience is always important. Which of these ships do you like or dislike and why: Ruby Princess, coral Princess, Star Princess, and Emerald Princess."

* I would select the Coral or Star. Both have an indoor pool. Both have an aft show lounge. The Coral has less passengers and lots of public space. The Star has more passengers but still has lots of public space as well as Skywalker's Lounge a great viewing area.

* If you can go to Glacier Bay it is a good choice.

* You didn't ask, but if you are only going to Alaska once then book a Cruisetour that visits inland Alaska either pre or post cruise. The land tour is really nice. There are lots of selections, but work quickly the cruisetours sell out.

This is my first post to start a thread so please be gentle…

Traditionally, we are warm weather cruisers who loves topical, exotic locales. This Summer, we're taking an Alaskan Cruise that DW has been wanting to go on for a long time. We'll probably only go once, since we do love the warmer weather so much, so I want to make sure that we make this one special and see and experience the best.

So, decisions, decisions... Princess offers a lot of options. It’s a little overwhelming; so, I seek your opinions and advice.

There are four cruises we’re considering. Most go to several of the same places but it seems everyone has a slightly different itinerary. So the opinion/advice we seek is this: if we are only going on an Alaskan cruise once, what place(s) are a must see and which ones you could take it or leave it. The options are: Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay National Park, College Fjord, Victoria, Tracy Arm Fjord, Inside Passage, Hubbard Glacier.

Also, for us, the ship experience is always important. Which of these ships do you like or dislike and why: Ruby Princess, coral Princess, Star Princess, and Emerald Princess.

Thanks in advance for help in making this big decision easier!

-Mark

Hi Mark-

The inside passage is the passage that All Alaska cruises use. Skagway, Ketchikan and Juneau are the usual ports in the Inside Passage with different itineraries of those same ports. The Northbound/Southbound cruises usually Start or Stop in Vancouver. If you are taking a Northbound or Southbound cruise you probably won't stop in Victoria because that is your required "foreign" port of cruises traveling Round trip from Seattle.

In my book, any Alaska cruise that includes Glacier Bay is the best especially if you are planning on only going once.

Alaska is ever changing and is addictive. We've been 3 times. One roundtrip from Seattle to Tracy's Arm, One cruise tour that followed a Northbound cruise from Vancouver and one Round Trip from Seattle that sailed to Glacier Bay. We are booked again on the Ruby for 2017 that includes Glacier Bay. The Star, Ruby and Emerald are all Grand Class ships, although the Star is older and and an older configuration. The Coral is a smaller ship that was designed to traverse the panama canal. It is not my favorite ship, but she has a strong following of fans.

Patty

Hi Mark-

The inside passage is the passage that All Alaska cruises use. Skagway, Ketchikan and Juneau are the usual ports in the Inside Passage with different itineraries of those same ports. The Northbound/Southbound cruises usually Start or Stop in Vancouver. If you are taking a Northbound or Southbound cruise you probably won't stop in Victoria because that is your required "foreign" port of cruises traveling Round trip from Seattle.

In my book, any Alaska cruise that includes Glacier Bay is the best especially if you are planning on only going once.

Alaska is ever changing and is addictive. We've been 3 times. One roundtrip from Seattle to Tracy's Arm, One cruise tour that followed a Northbound cruise from Vancouver and one Round Trip from Seattle that sailed to Glacier Bay. We are booked again on the Ruby for 2017 that includes Glacier Bay. The Star, Ruby and Emerald are all Grand Class ships, although the Star is older and and an older configuration. The Coral is a smaller ship that was designed to traverse the panama canal. It is not my favorite ship, but she has a strong following of fans.

Patty

Thanks Patty! This is all very helpful!

"There are four cruises we’re considering. Most go to several of the same places but it seems everyone has a slightly different itinerary. So the opinion/advice we seek is this: if we are only going on an Alaskan cruise once, what place(s) are a must see and which ones you could take it or leave it. The options are: Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay National Park, College Fjord, Victoria, Tracy Arm Fjord, Inside Passage, Hubbard Glacier.

Also, for us, the ship experience is always important. Which of these ships do you like or dislike and why: Ruby Princess, coral Princess, Star Princess, and Emerald Princess."

* I would select the Coral or Star. Both have an indoor pool. Both have an aft show lounge. The Coral has less passengers and lots of public space. The Star has more passengers but still has lots of public space as well as Skywalker's Lounge a great viewing area.

* If you can go to Glacier Bay it is a good choice.

* You didn't ask, but if you are only going to Alaska once then book a Cruisetour that visits inland Alaska either pre or post cruise. The land tour is really nice. There are lots of selections, but work quickly the cruisetours sell out.

Thanks for the advice on the Cruisetour. I had not considered that and will definitely look into it!

We live in Hawaii and "thought" we'd do Alaska only once. We chose the Grand out of SFO for a 10 day. Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway and Glacier Bay. I did a lot of research here and 90%+ agreed on Glacier Bay vs. College Fiord.

Was it cold as heck in late May. You bet. The beauty far out weighed the cold. The wife says we'll go again, but she insists on a tub in a mini suite.

Good luck on your research.

HI,

I live in Alaska and have done the Cruise 3 times. Sorry can't remember which ones, but will say that we enjoyed them all.

Glacier Bay is impressive and all the ports are close to the towns if you like to walk about and explore.

I agree that if you can afford it a land tour will expose you to Alaska's beauty the most. You will have a better chance of wildlife sightings if that is important to you. If you'd rather not spend that much, stay a couple days in Anchorage after the Cruise and visit Kincaid Park as I almost always see Moose when walking the trails and on occasion bears, but they don't hang around when they hear people.

End of June or all of July will give you the best weather but it will always be cold on the ship, bring a warm coat for the deck! Also the the southeast is a rainforest, so a rain coat is not a bad idea, though amazingly we rarely had rain on our cruises. Global Warming?

Do a kayak excursion, go horseback, or hiking, and if possible the White Pass railroad trip is breath taking in Skagway.

Alaska needs to be experienced not just viewed if you are physically up to it. Lovely state with interesting people.

For us when making the choice, seeing the glaciers was the most important so we chose a one-way northbound cruise ending in Whittier. We picked the date we wanted (my in-laws' 50th wedding anniversary which is the purpose for the trip) and ended up by chance on the Coral. Now that I have read more about the Coral here, I am really happy that is the ship we will be on.

We are adding 3 nights in Alaska but wish we could do more. I suggest you spend as many days as you can. There is so much to see--every time I do research, I come across somewhere else I wish we could go. I finally just quit researching. :)

The options are: Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay National Park, College Fjord, Victoria, Tracy Arm Fjord, Inside Passage, Hubbard Glacier.

Hey Mark,

It kind of depends on what you're looking for...

If you want to see whales, get a whale watching trip out of Juno. We have done this twice, and they both rank in my top 10 experiences of my life!

If you want to see bears (through an expensive shore excursion) or go fishing, do Ketchikan.

If you want to see glaciers, Hubbard is amazing! I've heard good things about Glacier Bay as well, but I haven't been.

Tracy Arm Fjord is also great - but that's a trip for the fjord and not the glacier (which is meh) or the wildlife (exceptions). I have also heard lots of cases of people not 'getting into' the fjord (fog?). Pretty neat, but a bit risky and less awe-inspiring than some alternatives.

The Inside Passage is neat, but you'll get similar sights bopping around the ports in AK. Not needed.

I'm not a fan of Skagway. An area super rich with history, but the town feels like a huge tourist trap. Victoria is also not note-worthy IMO.

On that note, I've generally been disappointed with the port towns themselves. Most are pretty redundant with each other, with many of the shops owned by the same people. For me, the value of Alaska is on the water (seeing wild life, glaciers, etc.), and through some shore excursions.

I glanced at the Princess website, and if you can live without the fjord, I would suggest the SB from Anchorage to Vancouver.

Hey Mark,

It kind of depends on what you're looking for...

If you want to see whales, get a whale watching trip out of Juno. We have done this twice, and they both rank in my top 10 experiences of my life!

If you want to see bears (through an expensive shore excursion) or go fishing, do Ketchikan.

If you want to see glaciers, Hubbard is amazing! I've heard good things about Glacier Bay as well, but I haven't been.

Tracy Arm Fjord is also great - but that's a trip for the fjord and not the glacier (which is meh) or the wildlife (exceptions). I have also heard lots of cases of people not 'getting into' the fjord (fog?). Pretty neat, but a bit risky and less awe-inspiring than some alternatives.

The Inside Passage is neat, but you'll get similar sights bopping around the ports in AK. Not needed.

I'm not a fan of Skagway. An area super rich with history, but the town feels like a huge tourist trap. Victoria is also not note-worthy IMO.

On that note, I've generally been disappointed with the port towns themselves. Most are pretty redundant with each other, with many of the shops owned by the same people. For me, the value of Alaska is on the water (seeing wild life, glaciers, etc.), and through some shore excursions.

I glanced at the Princess website, and if you can live without the fjord, I would suggest the SB from Anchorage to Vancouver.

Your advise is spot on!

Because of our schedules I booked the Southbound from Anchorage. We will plan on doing 3 to 4 days in Anchorage area and then hop on the ship. When booking the cruise, I noticed that most people booked staterooms on the coastal side of the ship (Port in this case). Makes since after thinking on it for a second

So luckily I jumped on the bandwagon b/c I noticed only about 5 balconies on the Port side left.

It's hard to believe this cruise is almost as expensive as our 2 week Mediterranean cruise on the Royal Princess last summer!

Thanks again for the tips and advise!

Your advise is spot on!

Because of our schedules I booked the Southbound from Anchorage. We will plan on doing 3 to 4 days in Anchorage area and then hop on the ship.

Make sure you understand the logistics of getting to Whittier to board the ship, which is several hours East/Southeast of Anchorage. Most will elect to book a motorcoach or rail transfer either through the cruiseline or the Alaska Railroad.

Anchorage itself (in my opinion) is fine for a day, but it's not the "Alaska" most go to experience - for that you need to head to Talkeetna, Denali or the Kenai peninsula.

There are multiple options without having to do a self drive holiday, though that is an option. Princess offers land tours in conjunction with the cruise from 3-8 days. The Alaska Railroad also offers tours, or you can book rail/motorcoach/hotel on your own and create your own holiday. The distances between the prime wilderness areas is quite large so not easy to do as "day trips" from Anchorage.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

We were in the same boat as you - warm weather cruisers mostly and aren't big on nature or cold locations. We did the Southbound cruise on the Island (sister to the Coral) and it was really terrific. I'm so glad we did that one because we have no desire to go back again. I feel like I can check it off my Bucket List.

Anchorage itself (in my opinion) is fine for a day, but it's not the "Alaska" most go to experience - for that you need to head to Talkeetna, Denali or the Kenai peninsula.

We have a saying here in Alaska; " Alaska is just a short drive from Anchorage" (Think about it)

As cities go, I suppose Anchorage isn't too bad. However, you need to spread your wings a bit and explore outside Anchorage. I'd suggest you spend a few of your 3-4 days pre-cruise somewhere other than Anchorage. There is WAY too much here in south-central Alaska to see and do to limit yourself to Anchorage.

Things can be pricey here... especially in tourist season. But don't pinch pennies... especially if you are not planning to return. You don't want to be the guy who spends the rest of his life saying "I wish we would have done {insert activity name here} while we were in Alaska". Or, worse yet, spend the rest of your life listening to your wife say, "I wish we would have done {insert activity name here} while we were in Alaska"..... because you know she'll be blaming you! ;)

Hope this helps,

Brian

You sound like us, about 15 years ago! We really loved our warm weather cruises but then did an Alaska one... said it was probably going to be a one and done and now we've gone 9 times and aren't done with it yet. It is really just that beautiful. And while not tropical, there have been many days when we were in shorts and t-shirts during the day, even sitting out by the pool in the sunshine. One of these cruises, we never put a jacket on once but used an entire tube of sunblock ... so don't underestimate how nice it can be up in Alaska. Disclaimer, on another one, it was so cold, windy and rainy ... but still one of my favorite trips of all times.

If you want to see whales, I would choose an itinerary with Icy Strait Point. We've never not seen whales just off the side of the ship when up in Alaska but you are absolutely guaranteed to see them at ISP. You will have to take an excursion and it is a bit pricey but you will see whales or you receive your money back. They don't have to return your money, though .... that's why they can guarantee it.

If bears are more your thing, you can also go on a bear watching excursion there. I don't think there is a guarantee but a good chance you will see one or more.

There is also a really beautiful wooded area to hike there or you can always walk into town on a paved sidewalk along the waterfront, which has some gorgeous scenery. Not much to see in town, though ... although we did see an eagle's nest with an eagle feeding the baby bird in the nest.

OK ... that's enough on my favorite port.

I do also like Tracy Arm and it has much smoother seas than Glacier Bay ... but when you read the boards, Glacier Bay definitely has the favorite vote. As I recall, the glacier is a lot more dramatic so might be worth a little Dramamine for when you go back out into the open ocean after leaving the glacier.

The towns all have their own personalities, each of which makes them special in their own right. I don't really like skipping any of them but know that isn't always a choice. I go for the natural beauty of Alaska and each port does have that in one way or another. Shopping, if that is of importance, is abundant in Juneau but you will find some in Ketchikan and Skagway as well. If you are not doing the train in Skagway, that might be the one to skip if you have to skip one.

You pretty much have to stop in Victoria if you aren't sailing out of Vancouver ... but it is also a lovely town with a lot of options.

I would definitely choose and inside passage cruise and if you find a cruise that also does what is referred to as the British Columbia inside passage, you will be in for a huge treat. I mean ... a HUGE treat!!

I would pick the Coral or the Star over the Ruby or the Emerald as the first two have an indoor pool, which is priceless in Alaska. The Coral is a little older and smaller than the other three ... but she is my personal favorite.

Hope this helps and don't be too surprised if you book another, then another and another Alaskan cruise.

PS ... we usually go in early Sept and have found the weather to be great ... that was until when we went in mid August this last year and not only was the weather phenomenal but the seas were so smooth. Definitely, there are no guarantees on either the weather or such calm seas.

We've been to Alaska 3 times and are going a fourth time in May. It's that wonderful. Our first trip was a round trip from Seattle with Tracy Arm. And our last 2 and upcoming cruise are all southbound from Whittier to Vancouver. With the southbound cruise you get to see both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay. Both are amazing and I don't think we will ever get tired of them.

When we did the southbound cruise last year, we elected to book the Captain Cook hotel for two nights in Anchorage and booked the train from Anchorage to Whittier which is about 90 minutes away. We had rented a car the day before the cruise and drove up to Talkeetna which was an easy two hour drive one way. We had thought about driving to Whittier and dropping the car there but it would have cost something crazy like $400 extra for the drop charge. So we did the train.

This August we chose to do a Denali cruisetour with Princess before the cruise and are doing the same thing in May. If you are going to Alaska once, you really need to get out and see the interior. The wildlife and scenery (so many mountains! amazing rivers!) is like something out of a movie and hard to believe it is real.

We have been on the Star, Coral, and Emerald. We've been on the Star 6 times total and are on that ship again to Alaska next year. Lots of outdoor space and we just love everything about it. Coral would be my next pick. It's smaller but they still have plenty of outdoor viewing areas, especially aft. You can't go wrong with either ship.

Happy cruise planning!

Edited by azbirdmom

We did northbound cruisetours the first two times and then an up and back on Island (sister of Coral) this fall. Glacier Bay is a must, and Marjorie Glacier changed significantly in only the four days between our visits. Superpod of orca was gone from Juneau on the southbound leg. Hubbard Glacier is impressive, and only generally on southbound trips. Agree that you should take a land excursion if you plan on only going once. But you will be back, so don't sweat missing something.

Caribbean is about water and island activities. Alaska is scenic and wildlife. The biggest problem with Alaska is that tours tend to be very expensive, and many involve either a floatplane or helicopter. But in four trips to these ports we haven't run out of things to do.

In addition to itinerary... have you thought about which month/week? Cold vs warm vs wet vs dry vs wildlife vs fireworks

• May and September is cheaper, but colder and some excursions are not running. Some like these months as you can do back 2 back cruise getting to/from Alaska.
  • May can mean ice congestion to some glacier viewing sites like Tracy Arm/Sawyer. Ice in some years can go into July! In 2016.... it was mid-August before ships went to Tracy Arm.
  • May to July is dryer in Alaska, August will see more rain and September will be wettest. If too stormy to dock.... cruise ships will skip the port.
  • July to August will be dryer in Cascadia
  • May to August will give you more day light
  • August and September offer better wildlife opportunities with bears and salmon
  • August starts to get statistically wet.... with storms more likely in September to fill the Ketchikan rain gauge
  • I like late-July for weather compromise and wildlife. It's also priced higher.
  • some ports offer seasonal opportunities like fireworks and pride celebrations, but can also mean congestion on those popular days.
  • http://www.alaska.org/advice/best-time-to-visit-alaska => it recommends mid-June to mid-July!
  • http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2667

All of those ships would be fine with me. If I had my choice I'd pick Coral. I'm with the "Glacier Bay crowd" in that you will definitely see glaciers and perhaps some good calving. Tracy Arm is a bit iffy depending on when you go and the ice may prevent actually getting up to the glacier.

Our first cruise was a 10 day SF/Alaska round trip. After that we were hooked on cruising.

Victoria has some nice architecture and we really liked Butchart Gardens. Absolutely beautiful. We don't really do a lot of shopping in the ports - we tend to gravitate to the brew pub and sample the local wares. :)

We enjoyed the White Pass Railway tour in Skagway and whale watching in Juneau.

We went in September and had really great weather. Apparently we were lucky as people in the ports said they hadn't seen the sun for a couple of weeks. I walked around in a tee shirt.

We went back to Alaska this year. I walked out of the office on June 15 and never went back. :) This time we did a connoisseur cruise tour. We flew to Fairbanks, had a 6 day land tour. It included multiple excursions, and most meals. We spent 2 nights in Fairbanks, 2 nights at Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge, 2 nights at Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge. It was really great to have the escorted tour and have everything taken care of for us. We felt it was worth the extra money for the connoisseur tour. From the McKinley lodge we took a day trip into Talkeetna. Our visit to the Denali Brew Pub in Talkeetna was great. The Denali Brewing Company makes some very good brews that you probably won't get anywhere else.

After the land tour we had a train ride back to Anchorage area (Whittier) which was also included. We shared a table in that car with another couple from our group and talked and watched the landscape go by through the huge windows. Lunch was included.

If you can swing it I would highly recommend a land tour and a connoisseur land tour in particular. If you want more info regarding the connoisseur land tour there is an excellent descriptive thread by caribill located HERE.

Below is a picture of the excellent Moosey Mary our waiter on the train prepared for my lunch. :D

Moosey%20Mary%20-%20Small_zps3gpbd8ij.jpg?t=1482263526

Edited by Thrak

We have a saying here in Alaska; " Alaska is just a short drive from Anchorage" (Think about it)

As cities go, I suppose Anchorage isn't too bad. However, you need to spread your wings a bit and explore outside Anchorage. I'd suggest you spend a few of your 3-4 days pre-cruise somewhere other than Anchorage. There is WAY too much here in south-central Alaska to see and do to limit yourself to Anchorage.

Things can be pricey here... especially in tourist season. But don't pinch pennies... especially if you are not planning to return. You don't want to be the guy who spends the rest of his life saying "I wish we would have done {insert activity name here} while we were in Alaska". Or, worse yet, spend the rest of your life listening to your wife say, "I wish we would have done {insert activity name here} while we were in Alaska"..... because you know she'll be blaming you! ;)

Hope this helps,

Brian

Lots of good things to take to heart. Thanks for the words of wisdom Brian!

You might change your mind about this being a one time cruise. We have done the round trip Alaska 2 times and Alaska land tour with a cruise also, and we are planning another cruise back to Alaska. It is really a great trip.. We also have cruised the warm weather places many times, we love that also, but they are two different experiences.

Would suggest glacier bay for sure, also if you consider land tour, check out the off the beaten path tours, thoes are our favorite. What ever you chose I think you will enjoy it.

Cori