Cash option on a cashless system? Celebrity

KC17

I will echo apologies if the below has already been asked, but research has brought mixed results, so I am asking the experts.

1) Celebrity has the option of a cash system onboard for seapass - great, I would rather go that route than deal with holds that reflect each transaction. Question is - how and where do I pay this? Has anyone gone on this system? I understand there is a $500 limit, but for me that works (might not be everyone's cup of tea). I checked in online, designated the cash system option, but there was no way to pay it.... if it is collected at pier, no problem, but what payment options? Do I really need to throw down $500 in bills or can I politely pay with debit?

2) Headed to Cozumel, Falmouth, Cococay, and Georgetown. Do any of these stops take USD, or should I exchange currencies prior to embarkation?

TIA! :)

Welcome to Cruise critic. The place here to research this is on the forum for Celebrity, located under Cruise Lines A-O. I have never done cash, but I understand that it is handled at the Customer Service deck in the lobby. EM

I will echo apologies if the below has already been asked, but research has brought mixed results, so I am asking the experts.

1) Celebrity has the option of a cash system onboard for seapass - great, I would rather go that route than deal with holds that reflect each transaction. Question is - how and where do I pay this? Has anyone gone on this system? I understand there is a $500 limit, but for me that works (might not be everyone's cup of tea). I checked in online, designated the cash system option, but there was no way to pay it.... if it is collected at pier, no problem, but what payment options? Do I really need to throw down $500 in bills or can I politely pay with debit?

2) Headed to Cozumel, Falmouth, Cococay, and Georgetown. Do any of these stops take USD, or should I exchange currencies prior to embarkation?

1)Not sure how Celebrity works maybe ask on the Celebrity forum

what we doo is use a CC at check in then last night go pay cash

If you want to prepay maybe you can buy an OBC in advance & as you use that up put more cash on the account onboard

2) yes all take USD

Welcome to Cruise critic. The place here to research this is on the forum for Celebrity, located under Cruise Lines A-O. I have never done cash, but I understand that it is handled at the Customer Service deck in the lobby. EM

Thank you for the guidance! Much appreciated.

I'm not entirely familiar with Celebrity, but your best option if available would be to pre-purchase some on board credit before boarding. Yes, if you wish to use the cash system you would be expected to produce cash after you board (you would have to go to the purser's desk to set your cash account up; the person checking you in at the pier does not handle cash). If you wish not to have any holds do not present your debit card to anyone at anytime while on board. Very unlikely it would be accepted for a one-time payment on your shipboard account; it would remain linked, and test transactions run daily to make sure you did not clean out your bank account.

Using a Debit card is a recipe for disaster. If there is any way, do NOT do it! Use a Credit Card and then last day or day before use cash to clear your account. Pre-purchasing On Board Credit is also a great way to have money all ready set aside when you board. Sometimes (often) OBC does not appear until day 2, just bring proof you purchased it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JVilleGal

i will echo apologies if the below has already been asked, but research has brought mixed results, so i am asking the experts.

1) celebrity has the option of a cash system onboard for seapass - great, i would rather go that route than deal with holds that reflect each transaction. Question is - how and where do i pay this? Has anyone gone on this system? I understand there is a $500 limit, but for me that works (might not be everyone's cup of tea). I checked in online, designated the cash system option, but there was no way to pay it.... If it is collected at pier, no problem, but what payment options? Do i really need to throw down $500 in bills or can i politely pay with debit?

normally a credit card is required to setsail pass for the cruise.

2) headed to cozumel, falmouth, cococay, and georgetown. Do any of these stops take usd, or should i exchange currencies prior to embarkation?

all of them take usd. Keep in mind that your change might be in local currency. Carry plenty od small bills to pay for things ashore.

tia! :)

fyi

Hi

You would be able to withdraw cash from your account using your debit card. The ship would have an ATM onboard as well as at your ports of call.

You would have to pay transaction fees if applicable.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

If you want to put cash on your account, you can do that when you check in...you don't need to do it in advance. You can add more cash as needed throughout the cruise.

You can give them a credit card (nothing is CHARGED to it until the END of the cruise), then pay it off in cash on the last evening.....if you don't want your cash tied up. Hold back the cash you will need for ashore or gambling....so don't give them ALL your money!

Hi

You would be able to withdraw cash from your account using your debit card. The ship would have an ATM onboard as well as at your ports of call.

You would have to pay transaction fees if applicable.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

Depending on a ship's ATM is very risky. On many of our cruises (well over 100) the onboard ATMs were out of order or simply not functioning. And when they do work, depending on the line, the fees are pretty nasty. If a passenger wants to depend on cash to settle their account then they should bring the cash. Otherwise, you should have a backup credit card.

Hank