Club class impact

doug52

It would only happen IF "the rest of us" were paying more for a cruise rather than what is happening now which is we are paying less. It appears to me there are now three choices:

• TD to make sure you have a dining time to depend on each evening
  • CC to eat anytime you want in the MMDR
  • ATD to eat anytime you want outside of peak dining time and the opportunity to be seated during peak dining time on first come first served basis

There are other possibilities such as eliminating ATD completley and serve mor in CC or TD or raising cruise prices to add more seating at peak dining times.... They could (as other lines are moving towards) have a simple choice of all dining rooms being "specialty dining" at a charge or the buffet.

I'm counting on the fact that we eat very early & none of the Club Class will be there at that time. If it gets to bad we'll be forced to eat in the Horizon which, at least on the Royal & Regal we found to be great.

I wouldn't show up at 6:30 PM for a seat in the AT DR and expect to be seated in a reasonable time, even the way things are today.

If CC bombs and they can't sell the cabins, you can bet they will step away from this, regroup, and take what has been successful, apply it where applicable and scrap what didn't work.

It can't really bomb in any meaningful way, as princess

can continually adjust the prices of all cabins (including club class)

to ensure that the ship sales full. Worst case is the club class price

is adjusted down to the next mini-suite price.

As to how successful it is, only princess has the revenue numbers

to know.

I'm having some real trouble understanding any of this. The price of cruising has continued to drop over the last 25 years or so we have been cruising. Its been 40 years or so since I went to business school so basic economics may have changed in that time BUT it it still makes sense to me if you pay less you get less, if you pay more you get more. If you pay more for CC you should get more.

I would think if cruise fares had continued to rise from what they were 25 years ago to maintain pace with todays costs, there would be a lot more reason to be upset if what is supplied was less than what was supplied then.

In some ways we are paying more to get relatively speaking the same. For example, we now have to pay extra for specialty dining because the MDR food and experience aren't as special in their own right as they used to be.

I'm counting on the fact that we eat very early & none of the Club Class will be there at that time. If it gets to bad we'll be forced to eat in the Horizon which, at least on the Royal & Regal we found to be great.

I wouldn't show up at 6:30 PM for a seat in the AT DR and expect to be seated in a reasonable time, even the way things are today.

I wouldn't count on that fact. We were on the Ruby Princess in May for a 10 day cruise. There was no CC at that time. ATD started at 5:30. The line outside the dining room started no later than 5 PM and went to the atrium. Those who arrived at the line at 5:30 waited quite awhile and often ended up with a pager like us. As the cruise went on the line started earlier and got longer. A secondary line was formed in a small hallway to the side of the dining room.

This is what scares me about ATD and is making us think of paying the extra money to avoid that nightmare. Our next cruise is 10 months away. When booking we attempted to get a table for two in TD, not available.

I think this is possibly a great concept for those of us, who want a dining experience, of years gone by. Also, it seems to me, that Princess has been lagging behind, with their suite benefits: now with a special dining experience they will be more competitive along with giving special treatment for those, who find the full suite pricing a little dear, to their pocketbooks!

Edited by gkbiiii

In some ways we are paying more to get relatively speaking the same. For example, we now have to pay extra for specialty dining because the MDR food and experience aren't as special in their own right as they used to be.

Guess it depends on how long you have been cruising on PC. I took my first Carribean 7 day cruise on the grand in 1999. I paid a hair over 850.00/pp for an inside and specialty restaurants were the new thing at 20.00/pp (sterling, Soutwest , and Sabbatinis) Anytime Dining wasn't present yet. We couldn't understand why anyone would pay extra to eat..... Took the same cruise same ports etc on the CB last year at 450.00/pp. Sumpins gotta give in 19 years at half the money.

Regarding your last question, as I said, previously, we find the dining room experience more comparable to a banquet than fine dining. Our experience is that dinner is more a production environment that an enjoyable meal. The tempo is faster than we enjoy. Runners are carrying trays from/to the kitchen with covered dishes stacked three or four high. Courses are presented a bit too fast for us. Guests in adjoining tables seem to be hurrying to get in and out as quickly as possible. It just does not seem like an environment for us to sit down, eat slowly, sip wine, linger and enjoy the experience.

Not to be argumentative, but I guess our experiences differ. I don't eat early traditional, so there's not the issue of the staff rushing me so they can turn over tables. In fact, often as not my irritation at the "tempo" has to do with me sitting there for twenty minutes staring at an emptied appetizer plate and wondering when oh when the next course would arrive. And when we eat with a group, dinner often stretches from 90 minutes to two hours, one reason my husband and I often dine by ourselves. Assuming there's a higher waitstaff-to-diner ratio, CC service should be more efficient, which is to say faster, which is what you don't want.

The real problem with waitstaff carrying all those plates is that some people's food can sit on the shelf of the station getting cold. But except for the tableside preparations, the same kitchen is cranking out the same fare at the same pace for everybody. Yeah, it's a production line, wherever you're seated.

I'm not an oblivious sort. All sorts of things irritate me, from the liquored-up overloud crowd at the next table to the toddler whose parents are letting her careen around the MDR to the man who can't be bothered to take off his baseball cap for dinner. But in over two hundred nights in the MDR, I can't say I was a ever bothered - or even noticed - how fast the people at the next table were eating. (Not even at the cheek-by-jowl two-tops on the Royal.) And if the table next to you at Club Class dining want to finish dinner quickly so they can get to a show, what then?

Sure, I've fully enjoyed the more personalized attention in the specialty restaurants or at the Chef's Table. If that's worth up to 80 bucks a day to experience, like I said, my CCL stock thanks you.

Lastly, I don't know how things are in Diamond Bar, but here in San Francisco many of the hottest restaurants feature noisy, somewhat maelstrom-y environments, cheek-by-jowl seating with mere inches between you and the next patron over, and even large communal tables where strangers eat together. Not my thing, but those are the places where the queues spill out onto the sidewalk. I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

Edited by shepp

I think this is possibly a great concept for those of us, who want a dining experience, of years gone by.

I'm still waiting to hear how the menu in CC differs from the regular MDR menu. (I know. Be patient.) If the differences are minimal, then I won't mind doing what I've always done: getting to my table without standing in line in TD. (Where, by the way, I can usually ask for something off-menu and get it.)

I wouldn't count on that fact. We were on the Ruby Princess in May for a 10 day cruise. There was no CC at that time. ATD started at 5:30. The line outside the dining room started no later than 5 PM and went to the atrium. Those who arrived at the line at 5:30 waited quite awhile and often ended up with a pager like us. As the cruise went on the line started earlier and got longer. A secondary line was formed in a small hallway to the side of the dining room.

This is what scares me about ATD and is making us think of paying the extra money to avoid that nightmare. Our next cruise is 10 months away. When booking we attempted to get a table for two in TD, not available.

I think I read that post before.

We usually wait outside the DR for it to open so as not to have to get a beeper & wait even longer.

Why your cruise had such an early crowd is a mystery.

I've seen early people lining up but never to that extent.

I can't imaging what would happen if they did set aside tables for the CC people.

Did you try calling for reservations in the morning?

Not to be argumentative, but I guess our experiences differ.

Absolutely. That's what makes the world go round. :)

I don't eat early traditional, so there's not the issue of the staff rushing me so they can turn over tables. In fact, often as not my irritation at the "tempo" has to do with me sitting there for twenty minutes staring at an emptied appetizer plate and wondering when oh when the next course would arrive. And when we eat with a group, dinner often stretches from 90 minutes to two hours, one reason my husband and I often dine by ourselves.

We almost always dine at a table for two. Our big disappointment with our Chef's Table experience was with our fellow diners. When we sat down in the dining room after the galley activities, all of a sudden there was a "competion" going on across the table to see who'd been on the best cruise and who'd visited the best restaurant. As I stated prevously, we love the UBD. We dine alone. Two servers are dedicated to just us. The menu is a little boring after the first time, but, other than that, what's not to like?

Assuming there's a higher waitstaff-to-diner ratio, CC service should be more efficient, which is to say faster, which is what you don't want.

That makes perfect sense. Again, I was just responding to the three posters who have recently cruised in Club Class, and all three described the dining experience as superior.

The real problem with waitstaff carrying all those plates is that some people's food can sit on the shelf of the station getting cold. But except for the tableside preparations, the same kitchen is cranking out the same fare at the same pace for everybody. Yeah, it's a production line, wherever you're seated.

I'm not an oblivious sort. All sorts of things irritate me, from the liquored-up overloud crowd at the next table to the toddler whose parents are letting her careen around the MDR to the man who can't be bothered to take off his baseball cap for dinner.

I'm on the same page with you.

But in over two hundred nights in the MDR, I can't say I was a ever bothered - or even noticed - how fast the people at the next table were eating. (Not even at the cheek-by-jowl two-tops on the Royal.)

Again, as you stated, our experience is different.

And if the table next to you at Club Class dining want to finish dinner quickly so they can get to a show, what then?

Other than the reports from the three posters, everything I know about Club Class dining is speculative. In reality, there are several reasons why it is unlikely that I will ever cruise Club Class. However, if I do, and I find that the dining situation is not acceptable to me, I will revert to my current dining strategies and will enjoy my cruise.

Sure, I've fully enjoyed the more personalized attention in the specialty restaurants or at the Chef's Table. If that's worth up to 80 bucks a day to experience, like I said, my CCL stock thanks you.

I am a stockholder, also. Again, these are "I want it" buying decisions. I understand perfectly that somebody else may not want it. Isn't that the great thing about cruising? Everybody gets to customize their experience. :)

Lastly, I don't know how things are in Diamond Bar,

No loss there, Shepp. I would describe Diamond Bar as the "Death Valley" of the restaurant world. A very excellent Middle Eastern restaurant opened up recently, but they don't serve wine. (Might be consistent with the owners' religious views.) So, when we're in the mood we call in an order for pickup and enjoy it at home.

but here in San Francisco many of the hottest restaurants feature noisy, somewhat maelstrom-y environments, cheek-by-jowl seating with mere inches between you and the next patron over, and even large communal tables where strangers eat together. Not my thing, but those are the places where the queues spill out onto the sidewalk. I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

Yeah, for reasons that I will never understand (more likely, I don't care to understand) in the late 80s/early 90s "High Energy" became an important theme in restaurants. Elegant dining is very difficult to find. For what it's worth, the Los Angeles restaurant the provides the best dining experience is Valentino. Piero Selvaggio gets it.

Again, Shepp, we agree more than we disagree.

The expanded menu, wine and upgraded bedding get my attention... as the main attraction.

http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/staterooms/club-class/

The new bedding is a bit of a red herring - AFAIK, all cabins on all ships will eventually get it, although CC may get it first. I think Ruby already has it everywhere.

The menu isn't really expanded, IMO - see my comments below. I didn't have breakfast there (we had Crown Grill) and I don't think that there was a special item at the one lunch we went to.

I'm still waiting to hear how the menu in CC differs from the regular MDR menu. (I know. Be patient.) If the differences are minimal, then I won't mind doing what I've always done: getting to my table without standing in line in TD. (Where, by the way, I can usually ask for something off-menu and get it.)

It doesn't, although the menu cover says "club class" on it;). The difference is that the headwaiter will prepare one or two dishes in the dining area - flambe shrimp one night, steak Diane and caesar salad another. They were terrific.

I didn't ask for anything off menu, but I saw plenty of "When Harry Met Sally" ordering at other tables and the waitstaff were happy (pretended to be happy) to oblige.

For me, it was all about the experience. The food was good, it came out just for us instead of at the bottom of a load of trays and we were done in an hour (two courses and perhaps dessert once or twice). The waitstaff had time to chat - I know that's not everybody's thing, but I enjoy getting to know people just a little bit and can always learn something new about the world when I do. I don't think it was $100/day good, but for $20, I'd do it and spend less at the specialty restaurants.

And I'm so happy to see people using "maelstrom.":D

We almost always dine at a table for two. Our big disappointment with our Chef's Table experience was with our fellow diners. When we sat down in the dining room after the galley activities, all of a sudden there was a "competition" going on across the table to see who'd been on the best cruise and who'd visited the best restaurant.

Yeah, well, for better or wrose that's part of the Cruising Experience. You're sitting around with a bunch of strangers who have nothing in common but cruising, so that's what you talk about. And its only human nature to want to feel your experiences are somehow special. (On the positive hand, other people raving about sailing around South America helped steer us toward taking that cruise, which was the best I've ever been on.) That's one night thing about TD with other passengers; we get past the initial inevitable where-are-you-from-and-where-have-you-cruised bit and eventually talk about other things like their cats and their grandchildren...neither of which I care a fig about. ;)

Last month we went to Bhutan (ooh, Bhutan, how exotic!) with a group of predictably seasoned travelers, and what did we all talk about over dinner? Who had been where and what our favorite travels were. But, you know, if you don't like the direction a group's conversation is headed you can gently steer it in another direction. And my memory of the conversation at the Chef's Table was headed in the direction of "liquored up."

I'm in reality a less sociable person on land than I am on a cruise. I enjoy the challenge of relating to a wide variety of people (many of whom, believe me, are not particularly like me at all). Just count yourself lucky you were assigned a tablemate who was a nouveau riche Aussie who insisted in describing in excruciating detail the expensive new refrigerator he'd bought. I'd rather have heard about his cats.

And, hey, I expect that on my next cruise I'll be hearing people talking about how superior their Club Class experience is.

Cheers.

Edited by shepp

There are other possibilities such as eliminating ATD completley

They did that on Sun, Sea and Dawn Princess when they relocated them to Australia. There have been so many complaints about the lack of ATD on those ships, especially once the bigger ships (Diamond, Golden, Emerald which retained ATD) started operating here in our peak season, that they are reinstating ATD on Sun, and probably on Sea, sometime this year. I think it starts on Sun in April.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

That's one night thing about TD with other passengers; we get past the initial inevitable where-are-you-from-and-where-have-you-cruised bit and eventually talk about other things like their cats and their grandchildren...neither of which I care a fig about. ;)

My grandchildren and my cat are superior, and you would be enraptured listening to me relate tales of their adventures. ;) I don't know why, but we nearly always get interesting table mates. A professional Santa, a big game hunter, a former Rockette. Even the "ordinary" people have been interesting. We always do TD, and only once regretted it, but the boorish loudmouth who snapped at his wife went away and didn't come back for the rest of the cruise. Listen, next time I'm in the City, we can go stand in one of those long queues outside something trendy, and I will tell you about my new refrigerator. :p

Yeah, well, for better or wrose that's part of the Cruising Experience. You're sitting around with a bunch of strangers who have nothing in common but cruising, so that's what you talk about. And its only human nature to want to feel your experiences are somehow special. (On the positive hand, other people raving about sailing around South America helped steer us toward taking that cruise, which was the best I've ever been on.) That's one night thing about TD with other passengers; we get past the initial inevitable where-are-you-from-and-where-have-you-cruised bit and eventually talk about other things like their cats and their grandchildren...neither of which I care a fig about. ;)

Last month we went to Bhutan (ooh, Bhutan, how exotic!) with a group of predictably seasoned travelers, and what did we all talk about over dinner? Who had been where and what our favorite travels were. But, you know, if you don't like the direction a group's conversation is headed you can gently steer it in another direction. And my memory of the conversation at the Chef's Table was headed in the direction of "liquored up."

I'm in reality a less sociable person on land than I am on a cruise. I enjoy the challenge of relating to a wide variety of people (many of whom, believe me, are not particularly like me at all). Just count yourself lucky you were assigned a tablemate who was a nouveau riche Aussie who insisted in describing in excruciating detail the expensive new refrigerator he'd bought. I'd rather have heard about his cats.

And, hey, I expect that on my next cruise I'll be hearing people talking about how superior their Club Class experience is.

Cheers.

Ah conversation ! and small talk. When DW and I can't get a table for 2, we endure the cross talk on a multiple top. Our opening chat starts with "how many tablets are you on today", then I have the joy of being able to turn off my hearing aids and let DW exercise her tongue muscles. Naughty naughty:D

Not a fan of Club Class and definitely don't like the impact to the AT dining room. We usually dine in the AT dining room but rumors of open/unused tables and wait staff set for Club Class standing around doing nothing while there are long lines, has got me to change to traditional on our Oct 2017 cruise.

I guess Princess prefers to make a small group of passengers happy at the detriment to the masses. Princess must be making a lot of revenue by the additional amount charged for Club Class...to risk a lot of unhappy passengers.

Maybe if a lot of loyal passengers complain, Princess will rethink the Anytime dining room impact (and embarkation lunch) just as they did with prepaying excursions.

Is this club class almost like Carnivals "faster to the fun" which I always thought was a waste of money?

Is this club class almost like Carnivals "faster to the fun" which I always thought was a waste of money?

No. FTTF doesn't get you "enhanced dining." It is also quite a bit more expensive that FTTF (which I find worth every penny.)

People pay extra for Club Class dining. If you think this creates a class system, then you must think a cruise ship must make all cabins identical; eliminate preferred boarding for those who have sailed 5 times or more with Princess; eliminate free laundry for those who have sailed 15 times with Princess; quit offering premium beverages; eliminate the sanctuary; and make all spa services free. All of these are "perks" that people voluntarily spend more money to receive.

That extra spending by those people helps keep the fares down for the rest; even those who devote themselves to finding anything they can to be offended by.

Well said.....:):):)

Bob

Also, FTTF gets your cabin ready quicker.

No need for this on Princess as everybody's cabin is ready at the same time, usually by the time you board.

...This will definitely get me tared and feathered, but I think the days of traditional dining are numbered. Carving out dining space for CC in ATD is probably not the place to do this. I don't have any hard numbers, but I bet that the number of ATD passengers is 3 to 1 compared to TD. And yet, most of the ships have 3 dining rooms. And let me see, one is dedicated to TD, one is dedicated to AT and one is halvesies between the two. Right? Either way, it just feels like the seating allocation for TD vs. AT is not matching up with the demand for ATD....

I'd say there are more people wanting TD since it's usually waitlisted forcing people to AT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro