CAN I CANCEL? NCL Star 'sailing' tomorrow!

VillageVicarage

Good Day all!

I'm in rather desperate need of some advice, please. I've been booked on the NCL Star for approximately 8 weeks. In the past six weeks the itinerary has changed three times, most recently about 5 days ago.

I ONLY chose this ship because I was carrying donated children's prosthetic devices to Camillian Home for Children Living with Disabilities in Thailand. I'm a priest. I work in Eastern Europe with victims of child-trafficking and abandoned disabled children. We have two large suitcases of children's prosthetic devices I was to donate to the home.

However, the first email from NCL cancelled all but one destination in Thailand. The second change removed Thailand altogether and now, gawd forbid, the itinerary has changed to spend more than half the time either sitting in port in Singapore, or 'at sea.'

This was not what I wanted. Added to my frustration is that not one of my emails to NCL over the past six weeks has been answered. I receive an acknowledgement of receipt, but never an answer. I've written to both guest services and 'access' for the disabled desk. (I'm hearing impaired myself, but still not the courtesy of a response from them.)

Exasperated, I phoned, but was told I had purchased a 'nonrefundable' fare.

Regardless, this latest itinerary has little semblance to the original journey....And for all I know, we could possibly being spending even more time sitting in port. We were to sail on the 5th of Jan. But now the latest itinerary says we're to board on the 5th, but the ship now won't sail until the evening of the 6th, then sits at sea for two days, then on to Vietnam.

In all honesty, I'd prefer to never board the ship. And if I knew I was receiving a refund, I'd just get on the train to Thailand and sort out my original objective, then fly on to Hong Kong where I have a non-refundable or changeable return ticket to the UK on the 16th of January.

This has been a sad occurrence for me as I had even written to NCL, inviting the ship staff to join me in visiting the children's home. Whilst I cannot invite guests due to the legality of not having criminal clearances, I know all maritime crew are already vetted.

I'm wholly ignorant as to my 'rights' regarding cancelling and refunds. But I do know NCL has simply said 'No Refund.' And then they added, "But we're going to give you a 20% discount on a future NCL 'Experience.' (Their words, not mine!)

I would be most grateful for any advice.

Many thanks!

Fr Bill+

You have no "rights" at this late date for any kind of a refund. You can always cancel, but you'll lose all your money.

The cruise line honestly has most of the rights. If you read your cruise contract, they retain the right to change any ports.

If you really must be in a certain place, a cruise is not the way to go.

IMO, NCL has some of the worst customer service out there, and I'd never cruise that line, but really, none of them would give you a refund because of port changes.

Edited by 6rugrats

Even if you bought insurance that had a "Cancel For Any Reason" rider, it is too late to cancel and expect to receive any compensation. Those riders have a 48 hour before sailing clause.

Then again, you're from the UK, your "rights" may be different. Look at your insurance policy.

I am so sorry this has happened, and you have not received responses.

At this late time, since you have already paid for the ship, could you go ahead and board, then once you are on board make arrangements to leave the ship in Singapore and continue your intended journey from there?

I don't know if this is feasible for you, but it is going to take contact with much higher staff at NCL to get anything else done, and you don't have the time to do that before the ship embarks.

Post all of this info on the NCL sub forum and just maybe someone there will have contact info for someone with NCL that is further up the ladder than those you have contacted so far.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107

Unfortunately cruise companies always put the right to change itineraries in their cruise contracts. You signed this contract when you booked your cruise. So technically the answer is no, you can't cancel for a full refund. You would forfeit what you paid for your cruise minus port taxes.

That said - NCL is at fault here. It's not the weather, the sea conditions or political events that have altered your itinerary. Your ship has technical issues and is not capable to sail at the required speed to make it to Thailand. In similar circumstances other cruise lines such as Celebrity and Princess have offered guests much more than 20% of a future cruise. Celebrity went as far as allowing guests to cancel for a full refund, or to switch their booking to a later sailing with protection of the fare paid and perks received.

I assume you booked directly with NCL and not via a travel agent? If so, I would contact them again by phone, ask for a Manager, explain your situation again and ask what can be done. If that doesn't result in progress, ask for the Manager's Manager. Also, take your specific situation (priest, children's charity) to NCL's Facebook page and Twitter feed - they will act faster when this potentially becomes bad PR... - which it should.

Floris

Edited by florisdekort

I'm so very grateful to you all for your advice! I've actually already arrived in Singapore. I purchased a flight to get me here 48 hours early as a 'just in case' measure.

The frustrating thing is that when the itinerary change came through the first time I was certainly disappointed and admittedly upset as I had worked for weeks to coordinate the shipping of these children's prosthetics from my home in The Republic of Moldova. I grumbled a bit, but accepted that mechanicals do happen. (They say the 'azipod' is damaged. But then a week later, NCL again revised the flippin itinerary.

I scrambled trying to yet adapt again to the new itinerary, asking the children's home to drive 200 miles to collect the devices as we would only be in port for part of the day. But then came the third change, mostly reverting to sitting either in port at Singapore, or travelling at a snail's pace to Vietnam - then on to China....with lots more days 'at sea.'

My exasperation is that not one single time have I ever received the courtesy of a reply from NCL. Not once! That's despite receiving all these electronic 'confirmations' of their receiving the emails.

So...bottom line is that I can toss a thousand or two to the sea and load up my credit card and try to do what I had intended to do in the first instance, or I can sit on the ship and stew over how little NCL seem to care about anything.

And if they think the 20% discount they claim they're offering me and other passengers for losing half the itinerary will make everyone happy, then I guess they also think Dolly Parton sleeps on her stomach!

Thank you again everyone! This is the first time in over a decade I will spend a week not being able to do anything.

May all your own journeys be ones of discovery!

Fr Bill+

Yes Rats...I was indeed pleased that I could move these goods in such an easy way, rather than the often gruelling journeys I often encounter. (Flying in, unloading cargo holds, then loading lorries, then travelling hundreds of Km's to the destination. This seemed to work perfectly.

I had cargo space donated by the good people at BA and two crew members to help transfer the cases into their city ticket office to await my collection. It worked perfectly.

The spanner was this latest itinerary change.

Yes, I will rest. But as many of you probably experience yourselves, sometimes the mind keeps busy. Will do all I can.

I DO like the idea of seeking help through FB. I've never used Twitter and actually have never really used FB. We have our own websites and blog pages so it only duplicated things. But it's an excellent suggestion.

When I phoned yesterday I believe it was the port office for NCL in Singapore. I was placed on hold several times. But finally the reply was negative. C'est la vie!f

Again everyone, I'm most grateful!

Fr B+

Sorry... was trying to keep up.

Interesting point: No, I did not book direct. I used one of the TA's that advertise for global cruises at lowest rates. It was all over internet.

Their online response....at the time...made plenty of sense...but it doesn't appear to address anything relating to things that may happen on the ship's side. (such as the laws we have in Europe when airlines cancel...for whatever reason.) Thankfully, we're substantially protected these days. I don't know what happens in North America or Oz in these matters. My guess is that there's little legislation at present...

There's some irony to all of this: Months ago I hopped on a Hurtigruten ship only to discover we would all be disembarking hours later as their 'azipod' had struck something... crum those seem to be the crux of everyone's challenges these days.

Nevertheless, again, I'm most grateful for everyone's advice and thoughts.

Fr B+

> Do you really think that was necessary or helpful?

I thought it was. It changes the OP's situation from personal to being in a similar situation with others. Since it's doubtful any concrete help is available, giving him a reason to not feel so bad may be the only comfort he can receive. (I speak as someone else who has suffered from excruciatingly bad NCL customer disservice.)

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts. Buggins, thank you for the link. I've had a real challenge even dealing with the OB staff here as my last hope was to use the port agent in Vietnam to arrange shipping for me. Singapore said they couldn't at all as they were only contract staff for the terminal and not true 'port agents; per se.

Just an addendum to all of this. It has left me quite sad.

The latest change I had received from NCL stated that the ship would remain in Singapore the night of the 5th and sail at 1800 on the 6th. I had dinner with a lovely young couple at the Mandarin. They're on their honeymoon and have never been to Asia. They have taken the changes in stride, but told me that as the ship wasn't going to sail until the 6th, they'd just wait until then to board. They were enjoying their honeymoon suite at the Mandarin.

Sadly, I looked for them on board, then enquired at reception as to their cabin number and was told they never boarded. I'm afraid the young innocent 'kids' had no idea and happily arrived Friday to find the ship had left. Truly sad indeed!

Also, once I check in, received my cabin card and boarded the ship, as I handed over my passport, I was given several sheets of paper. When I got to my cabin I set them down and skittled about sorting myself in the cabin. It was around 1800 when I started to read the papers. One of them states: Thank you for your understanding. Because you 'CHOSE' to continue on this journey, we will refund 20% of the cruise cost directly to your credit card. "

I most certainly did NOT choose! I had tried for weeks to get out of this, only to be told repeatedly by the booking service that this was impossible. And I was told by the agent, (I have no reason to disbelieve her), that she actually spoke directly with NCL corp and read some of the emails NCL had failed to acknowledge regarding the changes and my need to cancel.

It only adds to the exasperation. Today, two Ukranian passengers told me they've been offered a 50% refund rather than the 20%. Again, no reason to disbelieve them. But it may have to do with the money they clearly had to spend for certain visas, whereas I did not need to spend any.

And finally, SHIP is insisting that I will not be permitted to disembark in Sanya, although I have written confirmation from the Chinese Embassy in London that provided my visit is less than 72 hours and I can confirm I have onward transportation, I'm welcome to 'visit' Sanya. Others are complaining as well regarding the same thing. It seems like a profit point for NCL. I certainly hope not. I do accept they probably have to have group visas for certain nationalities, such as american, however, according to both the Chinese Embassy website as well as their written acknowledgement to me, British Citizens do not.

Arrrgh!

And whoever mentioned how extortionate internet fees are is absolutely correct! Appalling!

Bon Journey for all!

Fr B+

Never book a cruise for a specific port. If you need to go somewhere, it's best to fly or go by land. The cruise lines have written their passage contracts in their favor. Missing a port will usually just get you a refund in port fees. NCL is being more generous than it has to be in giving partial refunds.

I wonder if anyone else thinks this reads like a 419 Eater story.

Never book a cruise for a specific port. If you need to go somewhere, it's best to fly or go by land. The cruise lines have written their passage contracts in their favor. Missing a port will usually just get you a refund in port fees. NCL is being more generous than it has to be in giving partial refunds.

I wonder if anyone else thinks this reads like a 419 Eater story.

I have to agree..."cruising" is different than "transportation by sea"....they do reserve the right to not go anywhere they said they would....it's in the cruise contract.

You seem to be under the impression cruise ships are a from of transportation. They are NOT. They are a vacation that moves around. Maybe they stop at some ports, maybe not. Maybe the ports are the ones you originally planned, maybe not.

If your primary goal had been to get these devices to their intended destination you would have arranged shipping for them and flown there to get them delivered. Instead you're trying to get a cruise vacation out of the task to deliver these items and its backfired on you.

:(

If you say your home is Moldov a, why is London listed, as your Location at the top of your post? This whole thread is getting me confused. Sorry.

The frustrating thing is that when the itinerary change came through the first time I was certainly disappointed and admittedly upset as I had worked for weeks to coordinate the shipping of these children's prosthetics from my home in The Republic of Moldova. I grumbled a bit, but accepted that mechanicals do happen. (They say the 'azipod' is damaged. But then a week later, NCL again revised the flippin itinerary.

I scrambled trying to yet adapt again to the new itinerary, asking the children's home to drive 200 miles to collect the devices as we would only be in port for part of the day. But then came the third change, mostly reverting to sitting either in port at Singapore, or travelling at a snail's pace to Vietnam - then on to China....with lots more days 'at sea.'

My exasperation is that not one single time have I ever received the courtesy of a reply from NCL. Not once! That's despite receiving all these electronic 'confirmations' of their receiving the emails.

So...bottom line is that I can toss a thousand or two to the sea and load up my credit card and try to do what I had intended to do in the first instance, or I can sit on the ship and stew over how little NCL seem to care about anything.

And if they think the 20% discount they claim they're offering me and other passengers for losing half the itinerary will make everyone happy, then I guess they also think Dolly Parton sleeps on her stomach!

Thank you again everyone! This is the first time in over a decade I will spend a week not being able to do anything.

May all your own journeys be ones of discovery!

Fr Bill+

:(

If you say your home is Moldov a, why is London listeed, as your Location at the top of your post? This whole thread is geting me confused. Sorry. Good luck.

Edited by sail7seas

Good morning!

With apologies, I'm clearly a bit thick, but also can clarify. I am British. My home parish is in East Sussex. However, I have two homes (not as my residence),, homes for victims of child-trafficking. One home is in Bihor County Transylvania, and the other home is in The Republic of Moldova. Neither is 'my' residence, but homes for our children.

By no means have I written to solicit anything other than some simple information due to my ignorance/innocence regarding this spaghetti strand of rules regarding travel via the NCL ship. The crux of the challenge has been relating to poor, inaccurate, and/or simply no information being provided by the ship line. I have a plethora of printed sheets from NCL, some of which categorically contradicting what the previous communication states. To say it has been challenging would be an understatement.

To the person who asked or suggested that this is a 419 thingy, which I gather refers to those Nigerian solicitations for spurious and often phantasmagorical situations. To this I can only laugh aloud. NO, by no means am I, nor have I considered this as being a conduit for soliciting or enticing anyone for any form of remuneration. As offensive as that allusion may be, it's probably more reflective of my poor attempt to communicate too much information whilst under pressure to minimise the communication costs.

Clearly, I have made an error on several levels; one of which is in my belief that I could get some sage advice from people who may have encountered similar experiences and are able to share their advice via this medium.

Either there are those whose life experiences of booking cruises with NCL are so embedded that there's little patience or sympathy for others who ask either questions they consider either inane or axiomatic. Or there are those whose lives have been reduced to armchair experiences who prefer to demean or judge others who are embarking on new experiences and are foolish enough to believe they could find supporting advice from this medium.

For having disturbed anyone to such an extent that their only recourse is to demean, I apologise unreservedly.

Fr B+

BTW, Wheatie...you are correct. I did this because I was able to get free airfare, plus substantially reduced cargo to go to Singapore, then transfer to the cruise. The destination point in Thailand was less than 15Km from the cruise port to the children's home. That's precisely why I booked this. Without a Doubt it's a 'mea culpa.' I thought I was making a substantial savings by doing this air/sea combination compared with air and land transport. Lesson learned. And indeed, some lessons are harder than others. I've used sea travel from New York to Southampton in the past when moving donated goods to the Continent. Cunard have been more than fantastic over the past ten years, just as have BA been in providing assistance. However, this had been my only experience and I tried to apply the logic to a different ship line. As I say, dumb me. And I do accept a 'sailing' is quite different than a 'cruise.' (although I'm not even sure that in today's vernacular the term 'sailing' is even used anymore. ).

Again, thank you to those who have so kindly offered some constructive thoughts and ideas.

Fr B+

Daddy4.jpg.b2d07732a2eedb1ffe6d1808794132fb.jpg