Carnival's Medallion Technology at CES

cbr663

This is a horrible idea!

I have a flip phone that I keep turned off, and turn on only when I want to make a call. I have an RFID sleeve for my credit card, which I carry in an RFID wallet. I have an RFID sleeve for my passport. When I cruise, I carry my HAL key card in an RFID sleeve. I have not been to Disney World in years and will not ever again. I would support legislation making such tracking illegal.

The time that HAL issues me one of these insidious medallions is the day I quit cruising HAL -- not only is the technology hideous, the blatant disrespect of passengers this would represent is reprehensible.

I would be much more interested in this: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jan/04/anti-surveillance-clothing-facial-recognition-hyperface

Dave

Credit cards have EMV chips, not RFID technology (passports and global entry cards are rfid) All your RFID blocking things aren't hurting anything but it's not making you any more secure in regards to your credit either.

The ship already knows where you are, if they want to. There are cameras everywhere. You swipe your key and they know you left the ship, or drank a bourbon.

If you and I get kidnapped in a port, I'm betting my iPhone helps law enforcement find me more quickly than your turned off flip phone.

Edited by alwaysfrantic

I bet all this information goes straight to big brother. The all-seeing eye in the sky is being given another way to track us. Who says it stops working when you get off the ship. I say destroy it with fire!

Credit cards have EMV chips, not RFID technology (passports and global entry cards are rfid) All your RFID blocking things aren't hurting anything but it's not making you any more secure in regards to your credit either.

The ship already knows where you are, if they want to. There are cameras everywhere. You swipe your key and they know you left the ship, or drank a bourbon.

If you and I get kidnapped in a port, I'm betting my iPhone helps law enforcement find me more quickly than your turned off flip phone.

Some credit cards do have RFID. For example, those that have "tap and pay" capability.

The magic bands are wildly successful at Disney. So successful that despite crazy price increases the parks are way overcrowded. They had glitches years ago but now they are wonderful. I am on disboards and mouse owners which is comparable to cc and have not heard of a situation where people had magic band charges that were not theirs. You scan it then enter a pin you have chosen.

We have annual passes this year at sea world/ Busch Gardens and I hate always having to pull out my pass for the things I would swipe my magic band at Disney. And the room key feature is the best!

WANT [emoji106]🏻.

Love my Disney MagicBand ... easy, efficient, wearable, waterproof. Much simpler than carrying & fumbling around with the ol' fashioned access card.

Mind you, unsure how I'd stuff the MagicBand in the stateroom's interior access card slot to keep lights on. [emoji6]

Yes, the gas station wave and pay ones. I responded figuring the poster I was quoting likely was NOT doing that. :)

Right, and there are VISA and Mastercard versions of tap and pay as well.

I would not worry too much.

HAL has a terrible reputation when it comes to IT systems. They can just barely run their web pages so I think implementing this will be a huge challenge. Their on board IT systems are about 10 years behind some of their competitors.

So, no need to worry.

I suspect you are correct. Probably will be some time before we see this onboard.

Magic Bands rocked when I went to Disney.. and I loved having my schedule right on My Disney App.

It was easy to use and even changing ride times was a breeze.

One benefit is the fact that a lost child can be found easier.

Having a magic band is really no different than a keycard. And as far as " tracking " me track away. HAL already knows my spending habits., booze, steaks and Suites. What kind of information are they really going to find out? Maybe that I dye my hair or I love the Colts? Heck a total stranger will figure that out in 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like Princess will implement this on some ships as early as November 2017. Here's a link to more information.

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion-class/?utm_source=princess.com/ocean&utm_medium=mixed&utm_campaign=ocean&cid=mkt_mixed_mixed_princess.com/ocean_ocean

Lots of articles on the Princess side. One neat feature, you will receive the medallion prior to leaving for the cruise. This thing can automate the boarding process. You'll need to do security, etc., but no need to stand in line to check in.

Edited by RocketMan275

"The fascinating aspect here is that unlike other smart bands such as Disney's (DIS) MagicBand or Royal Caribbean's (RCL) Wow Bands, Carnival's medallion doesn't have to touch another device to work." How close do I have to be to another cruiser to get my drink charged to his account?

Below is a link to the article posted yesterday by Cruise Critic Carolyn Spencer Brown, Editor in Chief.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7442

and two excerpts from the article

"All participating ships, which for now have been designated as Princess Cruises' Royal Princess, Regal Princess and Caribbean Princess, will undergo massive revamping from bow to stern to install a massive network of sensors and experiential computing devices. These will enable the Ocean Medallion and Ocean Concierge to interact as each passenger moves around the ship."

"After Medallion Class Ocean Vacations debuts in November on Princess Cruises' Regal Princess, it will expand to Royal Princess and Caribbean Princess in early 2018. Ultimately, the plan, according to Donald, is to utilize the technology on other fleets in the Carnival Corporation family, which include Carnival, Holland America, Cunard, Seabourn, Costa, P&O U.K. and P&O Australia."

"The fascinating aspect here is that unlike other smart bands such as Disney's (DIS) MagicBand or Royal Caribbean's (RCL) Wow Bands, Carnival's medallion doesn't have to touch another device to work." How close do I have to be to another cruiser to get my drink charged to his account?

Mr. Whogo,

I suggest that the first time you use them to test this out. Feel free to get real close..and report back.

Please let Mrs. Whogo know in advance why your holding hands with the floozy blondes on board....all in the name of science, of course..and free drinks.

Hey everyone,

The editors at Cruise Critic are covering the event in real time! Carolyn Spencer Brown, our editor in chief, is at the event covering it live. Our news story can be found here: Carnival Introduces Revolutionary Wearable Cruise Technology at CES.

Look for more coverage, including an analysis by Carolyn, of what the technology means for the cruising industry, on cruisecritic.com.

We will be live-tweeting from the @CruiseCritic Twitter account at 11 a.m. EST today.

Happy Sailing!

~Brittany Chrusciel, Associate Editor, Cruise Critic

Look for more coverage, including an analysis by Carolyn, of what the technology means for the cruising industry,...

And look for another unwarranted Sticky. :rolleyes: The old ones weren't cleared out for nothing, you know!

Another way to draw people's attention to a machine and away from people, oblivious to the physical world around them, unable to do simple things without the help of technology. ...

You bring up a great point. Many people cruise for the social aspect of cruising and if there is one thing that technology has proven is that it can draw people's attention away from people. This type of technology certainly has the potential to change the experience on the ship for many people.

You bring up a great point. Many people cruise for the social aspect of cruising and if there is one thing that technology has proven is that it can draw people's attention away from people. This type of technology certainly has the potential to change the experience on the ship for many people.

How?

The technology is at Disney and I talked to as many cast members as my last visit sans Magic Band. Maybe more because I had more spare time to do so..

...and I talked to other guests while in line , eating, shopping etc as much as always.

What it did was make it easier to use my fast pass, enter my room, enter the parks, pay for meals and trinkets since I didn't have to dig for my card.

What I COULD do ( that you can't do on a ship ) is still pay with cash or a CC not assigned to the band.

I just think that the ones that hate technology will hate the bands, no matter what. The ones that love technology will love them, no matter what. The ones that are MEH either way ( like I was with Disney) will love them when they try them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me, it isn't a question of loving or hating technology. I embrace technology in my personal and professional life and understand the privacy and security risks associated with many different types of technology. My professional life has required that I take necessary steps to safeguard personal and confidential information and to minimize the risks associated with the technology that I use.

And while Carnival is promoting its connected ships applying the Internet of Things to its business model, other tech companies at the CES are promoting their products which provide the necessary security and safeguards that are prevalent with IoT. Ironic, isn't it?

I am reminded of the fact that Carnival is a cruise company - it's not a technology company and its expertise is not technology. While some will willingly embrace new technologies without giving security and privacy a second thought, some of us are a little more cautious as we know and understand the risks.

Perhaps CCL should fix the HAL website that requires you to sign in two or more times even when it clearly shows you have already logged in? A fix that i suspect some high school kid could handle in an hour or less?

As long as you can opt out of the tracing medallion i frankly do not care.