What do you know about Edge?

jules815

Yes! :) Thanks, I went for a largest and smallest comparison. Thanks for adding the other numbers, with those the gap between Solstice and E class isn't that much!

I agree. I'm sure the E class ships will be wonderful, I'm sure they'll be a step up from the S class, after all why build them if they're not.

But the "Big ship, small ship itineraries"marketing comments sent my BS detector into meltdown! :D

That said, I hope they keep the M class ships and do offer more diverse itineraries with the new additions. Millennium may be showing her age but she's got a fair few more years in her yet if they give her a thorough refurb when required.

I agree. I'm sure the E class ships will be wonderful, I'm sure they'll be a step up from the S class, after all why build them if they're not.

But the "Big ship, small ship itineraries"marketing comments sent my BS detector into meltdown! :D

That said, I hope they keep the M class ships and do offer more diverse itineraries with the new additions. Millennium may be showing her age but she's got a fair few more years in her yet if they give her a thorough refurb when required.

Totally agree!

Still not sure what X is thinking or doing with that marketing, the only way I could see that work is tendering into a lot of small ports.. I am anxiously waiting.. :D

other than it being cutting Edge, a few dimensions and a steel profile, Celebrity hasn't said much about it at all.

Correct and that has been the way they have handled these things since Century was introduced back in the 90s. Right or wrong that's their choice.

Edited by dkjretired

other than it being cutting Edge, a few dimensions and a steel profile, Celebrity hasn't said much about it at all.

Correct and that has been the way they have handled these things since Century was introduced back in the 90s. Right or wrong that's their choice.

I read that they will announce full details at the Seatrade Cruise Global 2017 conference held in Ft. Lauderdale from March 13-16. http://www.seatradecruiseglobal.com/

Edited by sloopsailor

The outline of the ship was presented at the steel cutting ceremony;

15306559_1006358359510468_4567242392633081856_n.jpg

This is the best clue I have seen as to what it will look like. In general, profile reminds me of M Class, with the single large square funnel.

BUT WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE BOW!!!!! Looks like the ugly vertical bows of liners of a hundred years ago, like the Titanic!! :eek:

Being a little lazy here not doing the research myself.

Can you tell me what you know so far about Edge? Is this going to be the largest ship in Celebrity's fleet? What will set this ship apart from their others? (Please don't let it be bumper cars.)

Kind of slotted between the M & S class. I tend to think they will be more upscale to challenge the new "Viking" ships that are coming online. Dress will probably be "

Country Club Casual(like Oceania) & more attention to quality food, again both Oceania/Viking. Do expect prices to be quite a bit higher overall. Smaller size will allow for access to smaller ports as well.

BUT WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE BOW!!!!! Looks like the ugly vertical bows of liners of a hundred years ago, like the Titanic!! :eek:

It's the latest design thinking. It makes it easier for the ship to cut through the water, since the "axe" bow does a better job of cutting through the waves than the slanted bow, which has a slight tendency to try to ride up over the waves instead of through them. The new vertical bow is said to be more efficient and provide sea-keeping abilities that are equal to or greater than the traditional flared bow. It is also said to cause less stress and strain on the vessel as she slices through heavy seas instead of trying to part them as the usual flared bow does.

Aida has already launched it's latest cruise ship with this design, and has four more on order. Hurtigruten and Crystal Cruises have also ordered ships with this bow design. (source: http://thecruisepeople.ca/cruiseblog/?p=1265)

The photo below is of Aidaprima under construction showing the new bow design.

25c192415bd3c9928824830683d6b3af.jpg

Edited by sloopsailor

Wow! It sure is UGLY!:eek:

I find it very odd that it took a hundred years to realize the vertical bow design used on most pre-war liners (WW1 that is) is superior to the beautiful, graceful bows on modern cruise ships.

I wonder if the 19th century bow design on 21st century ships will have a bulbous bow below the waterline?

This is not "back to the future", its "forward to the past"'

Edited by Seapoint

This is the best clue I have seen as to what it will look like. In general, profile reminds me of M Class, with the single large square funnel.

Ah, the new Ro-Ro facility.

They did say they want to make the design "special."

Wow! It sure is UGLY!:eek:

I find it very odd that it took a hundred years to realize the vertical bow design used on most pre-war liners (WW1 that is) is superior to the beautiful, graceful bows on modern cruise ships.

I wonder if the 19th century bow design on 21st century ships will have a bulbous bow below the waterline?

This is not "back to the future", its "forward to the past"'

No bulbous bow needed. Here is Aidaprima in dry dock getting finished before launching. This bow design doesn't need it since it cuts through the water like a knife rather than pushing it aside like a plow. This minimizes turbulence which the bulbous bow design is supposed to do with a slanted bow. All modern catamarans have the same straight bow design, which is one of the reasons they are so fast and efficient through the water.

What is truly ugly about this ship are the gawd awful graphics on the hull. What the heck were they thinking??? :confused::confused:

aidaprima1-0932.jpg

Edited by sloopsailor

The bow is similar to the new Aida class of ships, pretty ugly...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

. Smaller size will allow for access to smaller ports as well.

I know they are saying this but is isn't really that much smaller so I'm unsure how many 'smaller' ports this will open up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No bulbous bow needed. Here is Aidaprima in dry dock getting finished before launching. This bow design doesn't need it since it cuts through the water like a knife rather than pushing it aside like a plow. This minimizes turbulence which the bulbous bow design is supposed to do with a slanted bow. All modern catamarans have the same straight bow design, which is one of the reasons they are so fast and efficient through the water.

What is truly ugly about this ship are the gawd awful graphics on the hull. What the heck were they thinking??? :confused::confused:

aidaprima1-0932.jpg

looks like the fwd facing cabins with verandas will get flooded in extreme heavy seas when it goes head on into a big wave.

I know they are saying this but is isn't really that much smaller so I'm unsure how many 'smaller' ports this will open up.

My thoughts exactly.

So we all know that there are ports that M class ships are too big to visit. So looking at the sizes can anybody name one single port that an E class ship can visit that M and S cannot?

Could some newly designed hull allow this? I doubt it, but until confirmed I'll try and keep an open mind.

looks like the fwd facing cabins with verandas will get flooded in extreme heavy seas when it goes head on into a big wave.

That might be fun to experience. At least from behind closed balcony doors anyway! :)

The outline of the ship was presented at the steel cutting ceremony;

15306559_1006358359510468_4567242392633081856_n.jpg

In addition to the concerns about the ugly vertical bow, I am puzzled by the pool arrangement. Even on S Class and M Class, the main pool area is too small on busy hot sea days.

On the cutout, it looks like there is a Solarium in the front, at the top above the hand next to STX. This is followed by something sticking up above the "G" of EDGE...could it be a dreaded movie screen? And then further back, in what I would expect to be the continuation of the pool area, there is a large square shape above "RIT" in CELEBRITY. I have no idea what it could be.

My net impression is that either the main pool area is SMALLER than on S Class and M Class, or perhaps it is divided into two seperate pool areas?

(One just for suites??)

Just speculation...time will tell.

Edited by Seapoint

My thoughts exactly.

So we all know that there are ports that M class ships are too big to visit. So looking at the sizes can anybody name one single port that an E class ship can visit that M and S cannot?

Could some newly designed hull allow this? I doubt it, but until confirmed I'll try and keep an open mind.

As E class is longer, wider and at least as deep as M class they will not be able to visit any port M class can't go to.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

aidaprima1-0932.jpg

Actually if one looks closely at that photo it does appear there may be some "bulbousness" to that AIDA bow.

The normal job of a bulb is to create a wave that cancels out the effect of the wave created by the bow itself, ultimately reducing drag. But with this straight bow, who knows the effects without a towing tank and/or a really big computer.

Bulbousness of the bow on the Edge ship might possibly be confirmed by the photo that has been posted earlier thread about the first steel cut.

arcelormittal-fournira-l-acier-des-paquebots-edge-stx.jpg

Perhaps that steel is a portion of the bow, with the bulbousness being the wider part that will be just below water level most of the time??? I guess we'll know eventually.

Comparing the steel profile cut out of Edge to AidaPrima we see that there is very little distance from the vertical bow to the sweep of the fdw end of the cabin area compared to the Prima.... Dare I speculate some more that this will be a catamaran hull?

I wondered about that as well, but typically a catamaran is wider than a normal ship. With the announced width being about the same as an S-class ship, I don't think it could be a catamaran - just seems too narrow.