Questions - Doing an extended cruise

SC_GAY_Cruiser

I am looking at an extended cruise with 3 other friends for Jan '18. Extended defined as greater than 14 days. Three of us are retired and one works but is able to take a long vacation.

Whether its the South America/Antartica or Asia/Aust,NZ - my question is probably more for those first timers who took this type of cruise. Its a simple question - did you get bored or feel confined?

dave

I am looking at an extended cruise with 3 other friends for Jan '18. Extended defined as greater than 14 days. Three of us are retired and one works but is able to take a long vacation.

Whether its the South America/Antartica or Asia/Aust,NZ - my question is probably more for those first timers who took this type of cruise. Its a simple question - did you get bored or feel confined?

dave

We have done a 16 day Transatlantic that had lots of sea days. We have come to love them. Next week we leave for a 17 day cruise and have the Antarctica 22 day cruise in the can for 2018. We are never bored!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our first cruise was 7 days but our second one was 24 days. It was a Mediterranean cruise and very port intensive. We were never bored and looked forward to relaxing on the sea days. There is a lot to do on the ship to keep busy, or just sit by the pool and read. We never felt confined either. We had a balcony for that reason. We enjoy sitting on the balcony watching a sunrise or sunset and just looking out at the water.

We have found that a 7 day cruise is unfulfilling. Just starting to relax from the craziness of preparation and travel and it is time to go home

Have to agree with this (and unfortunately my next cruise is seven days, but it was that or nothing). I like 10-14 days as a "break" but i was ready to go back out for two more weeks at the end of our alaska cruise last year. I'd love to be able to take a longer cruise. Still trying to figure out how I'm going to be able to take more than three weeks off for PanCan in 2018.

i will be doing my 9th 7 day caribbean next month. and i agree, it just goes by to fast. thats why looking at an extended one now that im retired. its just finding someone who also has the time and money to do one.

I have been on several longer cruises, we can talk next month if you like.

my email is on the roll call if you want to send a note

Rich

dave

Our very first cruise was a 15 night one, and we never looked back.

Since then we've done several 14 night and longer cruises (including a 24 night B2B Med/TA, and a 30 night river cruise).

Haven't been bored yet. But, then, I'm a great believer in taking some "down time" when cruising. I like just sitting on deck and watching the water go by. Not trying to cram as much into my time as possible.

We did a 35 day South Pacific cruise last spring and I still wasn't ready for the cruise to end. There's always plenty-or nothing-to do on sea days. Of course part of the "wonderfulness" of that cruise was our CC Roll Call members. There were quite a few of us and we had several activities organized ahead of time. Now even 14 days seems too short! Spoiled, for sure.

After a few 7 day Caribbean cruises we decided, in 2014, to bite the bullet and do a 24 day Med Cruise. As someone else mentioned, these are very port intensive cruises. On that particular cruise we only had 4 sea days and we needed every one of them. I can tell you that when we came back to the ship on night 11 and saw luggage outside the doors of those people disembarking after the first 12 days, we were joyous that we were staying on the ship. We have since done another 24 day cruise to Iberia and the Baltics and are booked for a 30 day cruise to South America in March 2018. Oh I almost forgot - we leave on Feb. 14 for a 28 day cruise in SE Asia. I don't think I could do a long cruise in the Caribbean but there are so many fascinating places to see. Take the chance and I think you'll love it!!

Helen

Our second, third and fourth cruise were 21/14/23 days. After the experience of our first cruise of 7 days, we were sold on these longer lengths.

Never bored, but that depends on personality type. Feeling confined, no and these were on S and R class ships.

Hope you find the perfect cruise. I would vote for Antarctica!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Never felt bored or confined.

50 day Tales of the South Pacific or a Trans Ocean repositioning can have up to 7 at sea days in a row, and even those were never boring or felt confining. That was us. They keep one busy with lectures and special events when they know there are long stretches of sea days. We love them in fact.

Both are fascinating cruises with very different appeals. Asia is hectic and cities crowded and over over-developed but with knock your socks off history and once in a life time sights. South America is far less developed but still rich in intimate history with lots of majestic natural grandeur. Only a few hundred million in this part of the world, billions in Asia.

Edited by OlsSalt

I did 20 nights on a French Polynesia cruise (b2b). It was probably my favorite cruise. Some times the sea days can get a bit long. But sometimes it's a good thing to get a bit bored. Seems we crave to always be 'doing', but simply 'being' is what it's all about.

Oh dear, I too confess to the guilty pleasure of seeing other suitcases out in the hallway and knowing I still have weeks to go.

Then it all comes back with a vengeance when at last it is my turn to have the bags out by midnight. I have never been on a cruise that I wanted to end.

And we typically do at least 28 - 42 day ones. We have a 10 day one coming up and agree by the time it starts it will be over . ...and bags out by midnight. Boo hoo.

I did 20 nights on a French Polynesia cruise (b2b). It was probably my favorite cruise. Some times the sea days can get a bit long. But sometimes it's a good thing to get a bit bored. Seems we crave to always be 'doing', but simply 'being' is what it's all about.

We just did a 48 day Tales of the South Pacific. They had to drag me off the ship!! There were many activities and interesting lectures. I enjoyed reading on the promenade deck or sitting out at the aft pool. Neither DH or I were ever bored. We need to hit the lottery, we are ready for a world cruise!!:D

Cheers, Denise

Edited by dchip
Added content

As long as our mothers are alive, we'll stick to two weeks max. My brother and his wife are leaving for b2b this weekend--12 days total. We're leaving next month for the Panama Canal on the Zuiderdam--11 days. I know I won't be bored.

Advantages of a longer cruise:

- You can immerse yourself in the culture of the places you are visiting, especially with lecturers and cultural presentations on board.

- You don't have to feel like you need to do it all! You can pace yourself.

- You can try new types of activites, maybe something you wouldn't have taken the time for before.

- You can skip some dinners in the MDR and eat in the Lido or have room service and not feel like you're really missing out. In fact on a long cruise I find I need to skip a meal now and then.

- Some menu items repeat so you can get to try new things when they come around again if you didn't get to try them the first time... and if you have favorites, they'll probably be back again later!

- You can really build some lasting relationships with new friends, that is if you want to.

We've done a few longer than average cruises and I loved them. Wish I had one booked but we just got back from Tales of the South Pacific, a long one for us at 48 night, so I'm grateful, very grateful. We've done 2 at 48, one at 35, 3 I think at 21 or so... no world cruises yet, probably never. But we've done some very long itineraries of multiple cruises coupled up with other types of travel - tours, visits, etc. Complex itineraries are very rewarding but can be tiring. We did 4 months Australia, NZ, Tahiti and the S. Pacific; 3 months Europe... etc. I liked breaking these long trips into segments with some intense segments separated by a cruise. But Tales of S. Pacific was the perfect way to rest, relax, rejuvenate and absorb the island cultures. So easy - go to the port, get on the ship, be on vacation! Perfect!

Hope you find what suits you! m--

My longest cruise was 118 days and I was never bored. There is always something to do (if you want to) or you can just sit back, read a book, or stare out at sea. For me, a short cruise is three weeks or less and I seldom do those anymore.

I usually cruise alone because none of my friends have the time, the money, and the desire. It's pay the single supplement or stay home. Staying home is not the option for me.

Off topic - Hi, Susie! Enjoy your Princess cruise and I hope there are no artichokes on board!

Edited by Scrapnana

The longer the better! We had a 21 day and then a 23 day cruise, and have just booked a 31 day cruise to Tahiti. We also did Alaska twice but only for seven days, and by the time you have relaxed and got into the swing of things, it is time to get off. Our last trip had five sea days in a row on two occasions and we were never bored. We enjoyed the lectures, swimming, reading, gazing out to sea and walking the Promenade deck. DH had a nap every afternoon while I sat and did some embroidery. Absolute bliss. Hope you enjoy whatever you choose to do.

The longer the better! We had a 21 day and then a 23 day cruise, and have just booked a 31 day cruise to Tahiti. We also did Alaska twice but only for seven days, and by the time you have relaxed and got into the swing of things, it is time to get off. Our last trip had five sea days in a row on two occasions and we were never bored. We enjoyed the lectures, swimming, reading, gazing out to sea and walking the Promenade deck. DH had a nap every afternoon while I sat and did some embroidery. Absolute bliss. Hope you enjoy whatever you choose to do.

You forgot the parts about not making the bed, doing laundry, cooking, grocery shopping, picking up the towels in the bathroom, dusting, vacuuming and unsticking ice cube trays ....... :p

Never got bored, even on very long cruises with many sea days. They pack the agendas and have so many activities to chose from that it is often difficult to decide which to select - and still get some reading in now and again. There are classes, lectures, games, etc, etc. You should be fine -- have a great time.