Questions - Doing an extended cruise

SC_GAY_Cruiser

OP - I understand your concern. Years ago when we decided to move from 14 day cruises to a 20 day, I was a bit worried in advance. Time flew by and neither of us were anxious to get off the ship.

After that it was cruises in the 30 +/- range. Love them. You get "into cruising mode", truly can relax and enjoy the ports. Other than one cruise (which was not a HAL cruise and only 14 days) we have never been anxious to get off the ship. Never felt confined nor bored. A 7 day just doesn't cut it anymore. By the time you have gotten into "cruise mode", it is time to think about packing:eek:

And a good roll call can really add to the experience - especially with a few sea days (hi Susie & Scrapnana).

Go for it :).

Our first cruise was for seven days, followed by a couple of ten day ones. Then a friend talked us into a 26 day cruise. Well, that was it for us. We were hooked and have come to love extended cruises. Our latest one was 33 days to the South Pacific last April, followed a day and a half later by a 7 day to Alaska out of the same port------so, in effect, a 40 day cruise.

We have never been bored and would consider a longer cruise, if the right one were to come along. We have 27 days coming up this April and are already getting excited about it.

I make sure to have a number of new books loaded on my iBooks app, and take along crossword puzzle books to pass time on sea days. As time passed and we met more and more people from CC, we have most often cruised with some of them several times so we usually have people we know onboard. If you enjoy Trivia then that's usually good for a daily laugh.

If the Piano Man is a good one then the competition for a seat in the Piano Bar every night gets fierce.

On a longer cruise you develop a calming rhythm that doesn't happen on a short cruise. You gain more weight too but that's another thread. :)

It takes so much effort to get ready for a cruise and air travel schedules from where we live are extremely inconvenient. The prospect of going through all the hassle for a seven day cruise is hardly worth it unless we tag on a longer cruise at one end or the other.

Edited by sapper1

I took a 42 day cruise not long ago and was not bored. However, I am an avid reader, so that helped. I really loved the culinary art demonstrations and lectures on board too. I have a long cruise coming up this year and I am delighted! I've found these longer cruises bring you to very fascinating places in the world.

My late wife and I have done three or four month long cruises and love them. Neither of us were ever bored. In addition to the month long cruises we did take 46 and 63 day cruises and as far as we were concerned the longer the better!

I am looking at an extended cruise with 3 other friends for Jan '18. Extended defined as greater than 14 days. Three of us are retired and one works but is able to take a long vacation.

Whether its the South America/Antartica or Asia/Aust,NZ - my question is probably more for those first timers who took this type of cruise. Its a simple question - did you get bored or feel confined?

dave

My first cruise was two weeks on a small ship (23,000 GT) in an inside cabin with family. I was never bored (especially if you are cruising with friends) and never felt confined. In fact, after two or three port days in a row, I looked forward to a nice relaxing day at sea.

My late wife and I have done three or four month long cruises and love them. Neither of us were ever bored. In addition to the month long cruises we did take 46 and 63 day cruises and as far as we were concerned the longer the better!

We are sorry to hear about your wife. We were on that 63 day Pacific Rim and remember you in the Explorers Lounge in the evenings. The Russian quartet was quite a draw. That was a great cruise, one of our best.

Best wishes to you.

I am looking at an extended cruise with 3 other friends for Jan '18. Extended defined as greater than 14 days. Three of us are retired and one works but is able to take a long vacation.

Whether its the South America/Antartica or Asia/Aust,NZ - my question is probably more for those first timers who took this type of cruise. Its a simple question - did you get bored or feel confined?

dave

NO. The longer cruises have guest speakers and people from the area you are cruising on board for talks and demonstrations - actually it was hard to fit it all in. We are recently off 66 days on the Maasdam and could have stayed on another 2 months.:D

I did work up to longer cruises, but have taken several of 30+ days, the longest being 39 days. I've never been bored with the longer cruises, and actually prefer them over shorter ones. For me, 20+ days is really a minimum worth packing and flying for.

Do keep in mind, though that one long cruise is a different atmosphere than back to back cruises of the same total number of days. Keeping the same group of passengers, who get to know each other better, has a whole different vibe than a major change-over at mid-point.

I love how longer cruises tend to have guest lecturers that can keep you busy much of the day! Items on the menu can be repeated, although the menu as a whole is not. Gives you a chance for repeats of favorites, or trying something you don't normally get a chance at.

The best thing about a longer cruise is the way you relax and get into a rhythm unlike what you ever experience on land. That's worth the packing right there.

I remember a psychologist saying it takes about 21 days for a change of habit to lock in. First week is spent letting go of the old habit, second week is spent accepting the new habit, and the third week is when the new now becomes routine.

The one downside for longer cruises is more the preparation of being away from home (mail, pets, houseplants, gardens, home security, bill paying etc)

I am looking at my big empty suitcase that has taken me on much longer cruises in the past. This time I need to fill it up now for only 10 days for our next cruise -- in the warm weather Caribbean, no less -- and for once realize I won't have to get crazy at the last minute shaving off extra ounces to keep it in my one suitcase 50# luggage weight limit.

The other longer cruise downside - how to pack and still keep it reasonable. The old trick often mentioned here - pack for two weeks only and just press the re-set button for as many 2 week segments that will make up your longer cruise.

I count up the port days and the at sea days and bring a repeating "uniform" for each. And about 10 or versions of dressy things for dinner. Yes, formal 'gala" night clothes too which are pretty easy to add today. Then the layered extras for what the climate changes of the trip will entail.

And I still over pack and bring home things I never end up wearing on every trip. Plus something I never want to look at again. But if they pack well, they go along for the next few trips too.

I am at a point finally where I think I should just clean everything and repack it immediately when I get home and it is all ready to go for the next trip without even having to think about packing again. I now have one blue HAL bag that has all those things I think I will need and it just gets dumped into the suitcase each time - those little cabin living extras.

We have found that a 7 day cruise is unfulfilling. Just starting to relax from the craziness of preparation and travel and it is time to go home

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree - I just returned from a 7 night cruise last month and it will be my last. We have to fly and it really isn't worth the time and effort for only 7 nights.

I realize for some, that is all they can do, but if there i an option, I would go for at least 10 nights, which is very satisfying for a get away.

<snip>

The one downside for longer cruises is more the preparation of being away from home (mail, pets, houseplants, gardens, home security, bill paying etc)

On this point you and I disagree. It's an upside for longer cruises for me ;)

Whether I am going away for 10 days or 40 days, I have to make sure my pets, house, gardens, mail, bills & home are all taken care of. It's all the same process and more worthwile (to me) to do it for a longer time away than a shorter time away ;)

Sure, the pet care is more expensive and the bill payment time frame is over a longer period but with on line banking, memorized payments, etc., the bills can all easily be attended to before I go and while I am gone. Pet care is a standard cost for me if I want to cruise ;). The first call made if I am booking a cruise is to their vacation home to make sure they can be accommodated ;)

"Bowser" was very unhappy, before he died, when we were away on longer cruises. One reason we have not gotten a new pet - it was too hard on him to be gone that long.

Awww...that's sad. Mine love going to Debbie's. We start prepping them about 2 weeks before we go. They get two walks a day, Marley gets to not just see but visit the horses and of course, cookies and treats. They have their own exercise area for the two of them and have a great time. I have been told that it is better to take them for one single longer time than several trips in a year. Theoretically dogs do not sense time. I don't know how true that is, but the length of the trip has had no effect yet. It's a bit of a drive so I prefer to do that too ;). They are happy to go - and happy when I pick them up ;). They know "I will be back".

dave

Getting ready to leave for a 39 night cruise. Does that answer your question? We love the longer cruises if you have the time!!!

As a solo, I initially tried to cruise for 2/3 weeks at a time 3 times yearly, but eventually I realized that I could cruise 16-20 more days a year if I only paid air fare once. My first experiment was a 42 day Atlantic Adventurer; needless to say, I loved it! Next came the 90 day Passage to the Far East. The day I return from the Passage, I booked a 67 day B2B2B. It's the best way to go!

Our longest was 35 days, with a lot of sea days. I haven't really been bored, but I believe that boredom is underrated. Sometimes we need to stop the busyness, and cruises can help give us time to relax and appreciate. To break up our schedules.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We normally take the longer cruises..Our longest big ship cruise was 68 days in 2013...I was never bored, however we normally travel with another couple (Good Friends) & they were not with us.. Must admit, I missed them a lot..

For many years we sailed with them on our two sailboats.. All our sailing trips were for several weeks at a time..One trip was 5 months.. We sailed our two boats back up north from Fla. DH & I anchored in Long Island Sound for a week & went to visit Family/Friends, while our Sailing Buddies visited with their Friends/Family in Conn..

Then we met up again & sailed to Block Island together & then slowly made our way back to Fla.. I was able to go off with my Friend for a day of antique shopping while our DH's stayed at the various ports/marina's & played with their boats.. That's what men seem to enjoy doing..:D

We used to meet our spouses for a late lunch & then the four of us would spend the afternoon together either touring or relaxing.. We've since sold our boat but when we take our big ship cruises together, we still do the same..:D The ladies go antiquing while the men play with their boats... LOL

On the longer cruises we really enjoy being out on the Promenade deck & reading on sea days../SIZE]

dave

Haven't done one of this length yet, but I can say that as long as it was a Vista, Signature or Pinnacle Class ship, I would likely be just fine.

Haven't done one of this length yet, but I can say that as long as it was a Vista, Signature or Pinnacle Class ship, I would likely be just fine.

Now, that's ironic. :). I enjoyed our cruise on the Westerdam without question, but I happily sail the P'dam for my longer cruises. My next one is on the Rotterdam and then back to the Prinsendam.

Really looking forward to both. I don't think any ship can match the art on the S & R ships - and especially the Rotterdam - and there is no ship like the p'dam. Their itineraries are both fabulous for us.

But ...as long as we are both happy :) :D

Edited by kazu

dave

We decided 18 years ago that "Seeing the World" was what we wanted to do in our retirement years -and we've done several AND on HAL [by choice] and Asia/ Aust etc is our favorite; We're schedule again for Fall/2017.

One thing - yes, this is judgemental - is actually seeing/experiencing meeting people around the WORLD and we've been THRILLED to generalize how wonderful it is [ sans HEADLINES or Media] We have LOVED experiencing our travels!

Cruising as we've headed into our late seventies -has been a totally delightful and easy way to travel. Do you "experience" everything? Probably not -but you are experiencing AS much as the "Nay-sayers' and then some. Decide where and what you want to EXPERIENCE AND can afford -and then GO for it!

I also journal these trips -which can be a good reminder and a good base for the NEXT adventure! [ and a great way to share with your family; my children etc -weren't all that thrilled to travel for long trips -but our GRANDdaughters have LOVED seeing Europe and loved Italy as much as we do!!

And -NO -we've NEVER ever been "bored"

Still off topic--Thanks for the laugh. I made my antipasto cracker spread for Christmas and ground up all the artichokes in the food processor! Looks like we'll have at least 2 teams on the cruise. (Artichokes was the name of a competing trivia team that usually took it all-and we were out to get 'em.)