Fitness & swimming on Celebrity cruises.

Marvy Mare

I am an ex (long time) competitive swimmer. I have severe osteoarthritis so swimming has to be my exercise.

I have found the indoor Solarium pool on the Eclipse to be fine to swim in..... the length is just about long enough. The outdoor pools would be a non starter as they are only fit ti "dip" into. The indoor pool on the Constellation was far too hot to swim in being a therapy pool - a non-starter.

As for the comments from people re people trying to swim in the pool..... you wouldn't obstruct the people jogging or brisk walking on the track for exercise why do you have this not too helpful attitude towards people having to/needing to swim ? I admit to finding it very mean when people just stand around in the larger pool to "cool off/chat" so preventing anyone swimming lengths. I mean you can stand nearer the sides of the pool and do that just as well. On one pool session there were 3 women who took up the whole swim space in the pool with their non-activity and chat. The could have just as easily have gone in the outdoor area or kept to the side of the pool as it was obvious I was trying to swim. Very inconsiderate.

Not sure if the OP has spent much time on cruise ships. The reality is that using small ship pools for "fitness" is generally a hopeless cause. Ship pools are relatively small, and often crowded. Swimming laps might mean taking 4 or 5 strokes before having to turn. We have seen one enterprising gentleman (on a prior cruise) who had a thick elastic band which he tied to a pool ladder. He could then swim, in place, with the elastic holding him back :).

Like most cruise ships, Celebrity does have an excellent gym/fitness facility with lots of the latest equipment for weight training or aerobic activities. It is also possible to do a lot of walking on a ship and you can often see both walkers and joggers at the appropriate areas on most ships.

Hank

You will want too be careful about what bathing suit you bring. Last cruise -on RCI - I bought a lovely new suit because i was going on a cruise. The pool was salt water, extremely salty, and it ate my suit! Not sure what the problem was but the bottom of my new tankini was see through by the third or fourth day and the top had lost all elasticity. I will not be buying any fancy new bathing suits for a cruise anytime soon!

Sent from my SM-T113 using Tapatalk

You will want too be careful about what bathing suit you bring. Last cruise -on RCI - I bought a lovely new suit because i was going on a cruise. The pool was salt water, extremely salty, and it ate my suit! Not sure what the problem was but the bottom of my new tankini was see through by the third or fourth day and the top had lost all elasticity. I will not be buying any fancy new bathing suits for a cruise anytime soon!

Your suit was not chlorine resistant. Buy only chlorine resistant suits for pool use. Both fresh water and salt water pools have chlorine.

Also when leaving the pool take a shower with one of the pool showers and rinse out your suit in your cabin after you take it off to minimize damage from the chlorine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

We could all get a little more exercise if we took the stairs as often as possible rather than wait for the elevators; actually got up from our lounge chairs and walked to the bar to get a drink rather than asking a waiter to get us one; getting up from the buffet table and going to get a water/iced tea refill rather than asking a waiter to get us one; etc. We also try to use the gym, as we do at home, but if we make it there 2 out of 7 days, that is about it. Hey, we're on vacation, you know.

I hope to try to keep fit while on our first cruise in March 2017. I understand that the food is excellent & I love to eat. I also enjoy cycling, swimming and am a former runner (currently injured so I walk very quickly-lol). I intend to use the bikes and treadmill & running track (if it's not too crowded). I was wondering about length swimming in one of the pools. Is that a possibility? Are the pools salt water or chlorinated? Do I need to wear a cap & would goggles be a good idea?

I think that's it for now.

Maris

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=51950922

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The pools onboard are saltwater and located on the Resort Deck. The water is drawn from the sea and is kept at a comfortable temperature between 60 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit. When the ships are in Alaska steam is added to the pools to make the water warmer.

• Large Pool Dimensions: 35' X 20' Depth is 5'3" at either end and 5'10" in the middle.
  • Small Pool Dimensions: 15' X 20' Depth is 4'5" at the deep end and 3'11" at the shallow end.

FYI to All & contrary to above post by Celeb Cruises

On Infinity Caribbean ABC Island cruise for Halloween, the Solarium pool was unbearably hot. I was told it is kept at 105 deg, same as hot tubs. Most found it unusable for any purpose & we could not use it during our cruise it was so hot. They also had daily family swim time..temp way too warm for kiddos....

Hope this is changed by the time we sail again on Inf later this yr...

Edited by hcat

Your suit was not chlorine resistant. Buy only chlorine resistant suits for pool use. Both fresh water and salt water pools have chlorine.

Also when leaving the pool take a shower with one of the pool showers and rinse out your suit in your cabin after you take it off to minimize damage from the chlorine.

All pools eat suits. .esp hot tubs, even chlorine resistant. I save my rattiest suits for pools when cruising! Nice suits ok at the beach but of course must be rinsed..

As for the comments from people re people trying to swim in the pool..... you wouldn't obstruct the people jogging or brisk walking on the track for exercise why do you have this not too helpful attitude towards people having to/needing to swim ? I admit to finding it very mean when people just stand around in the larger pool to "cool off/chat" so preventing anyone swimming lengths. I mean you can stand nearer the sides of the pool and do that just as well. On one pool session there were 3 women who took up the whole swim space in the pool with their non-activity and chat. The could have just as easily have gone in the outdoor area or kept to the side of the pool as it was obvious I was trying to swim. Very inconsiderate.

I disagree. The pools aren't made for laps - the track is. If they were you'd see lap lanes. I swim multiple times a week and don't consider swimming in one of those pools.

The pools onboard are saltwater and located on the Resort Deck. The water is drawn from the sea and is kept at a comfortable temperature between 60 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit. When the ships are in Alaska steam is added to the pools to make the water warmer.

• Large Pool Dimensions: 35' X 20' Depth is 5'3" at either end and 5'10" in the middle.
  • Small Pool Dimensions: 15' X 20' Depth is 4'5" at the deep end and 3'11" at the shallow end.

I've never been on any ship that had 60 deg water in a pool unless it was a cold "plunge" pool. Maybe this is what happens to the outdoor pools in the extreme northern and southern latitudes. If the pool is 60 deg my guess is it will be empty and you could swim laps... in a wetsuit. ☃☃☃

Edited by 81Zoomie

I've never been on any ship that had 60 deg water in a pool unless it was a cold "plunge" pool. Maybe this is what happens to the outdoor pools in the extreme northern and southern latitudes. If the pool is 60 deg my guess is it will be empty and you could swim laps... in a wetsuit. [emoji951][emoji951][emoji951]

"Celebrity Cruises" posts some pretty amusing stuff. It certainly wouldn't be comfortable at 60 degrees! What they post is cut and past from some data base that often isn't very accurate. It might be 60 degrees when it's drawn from the sea but they will heat it to a comfortable temperature.

Edited by Charles4515

I am an ex (long time) competitive swimmer. .....

As for the comments from people re people trying to swim in the pool..... you wouldn't obstruct the people jogging or brisk walking on the track for exercise why do you have this not too helpful attitude towards people having to/needing to swim ? I admit to finding it very mean when people just stand around in the larger pool to "cool off/chat" so preventing anyone swimming lengths.

If you "need" to swim, a cruise ship is not the place for you.

The pools are for "cooling off and chatting" and having a drink or two or three.

_DSC0339.jpg

"Celebrity Cruises" posts some pretty amusing stuff. It certainly wouldn't be comfortable at 60 degrees! What they post is cut and past from some data base that often isn't very accurate. It might be 60 degrees when it's drawn from the sea but they will heat it to a comfortable temperature.

I want to know how they "add steam" - steam vaporizes into thin air. I can understand adding hot water, or cranking up the heater, but adding steam?

It wasn't the salt, it was the chlorine. As a daily swimmer, I can tell you chlorine eats elastic and spandex. You needs to rinse out normal suits as soon as you get out of any pool, and wash them with soap at the end of each day.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It wasn't the salt, it was the chlorine. As a daily swimmer, I can tell you chlorine eats elastic and spandex. You needs to rinse out normal suits as soon as you get out of any pool, and wash them with soap at the end of each day.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I've been swimming three times a week for the last six years. I'm no stranger to chlorinated swimming pools. I rinse my suit every time I use it, and have retained some suits for years. This was waaaayy beyond the norm. My utility swimsuit is a TYR. Those suckers last forever, this was not a TYR.

I've been swimming three times a week for the last six years. I'm no stranger to chlorinated swimming pools. I rinse my suit every time I use it, and have retained some suits for years. This was waaaayy beyond the norm. My utility swimsuit is a TYR. Those suckers last forever, this was not a TYR.

Yes, we have a fresh water chlorinated pool at my condo with a lap lane and during the summer I swim in it about three times a week. I have two suits I alternate and they have lasted for years. I made sure to purchase chlorine resistant suits.

Some might think that salt water pools don't have chlorine but they do. In a fresh water chlorinated pool the chemical is added. In a salt water pool chlorine is created with a generator. There will be less chlorine in the salt water pool but there has to be enough to kill pathogens, and it will damage many fabrics.

Edited by Charles4515

If you "need" to swim, a cruise ship is not the place for you.

The pools are for "cooling off and chatting" and having a drink or two or three.

_DSC0339.jpg

I rather thought I made it clear I was referring to the pool in the Solarium which is much larger than the outdoor "dip" pools!! The whole ambience of the Solarium pool is different to the picture posted here!

I stick by my comment. There are several pools plenty for both dippers/chatter and people who need to exercise !!

I rather thought I made it clear I was referring to the pool in the Solarium which is much larger than the outdoor "dip" pools!! The whole ambience of the Solarium pool is different to the picture posted here!

I stick by my comment. There are several pools plenty for both dippers/chatter and people who need to exercise !!

The pool in the Solarium is 11 metres long and at one end are concrete steps leading into the poll from both sides. Unless one is able to swim down the middle this reduces the length by about a further metre. Add just one or two people sort of exercising in the pool and lap swimming becomes a busted flush. That said on one occasion during a 35 day cruise I managed one day to get a 100 laps in, pure luck rather than good management. I tried several times early in the morning but it was a pointless exercise so I eventually gave up. The quietest time for the pool is evening meal time