Is it reasonable to have to vacate cabins at 7am on disembarkation?

AnOnymously

Is 7am a reasonable time to expect passengers to vacate cabins when disembarking?  

858 members have voted

1. 1. Is 7am a reasonable time to expect passengers to vacate cabins when disembarking?

So, so much moaning here and then to hear some say that "I'd be willing to get into my cabin later on embarkation day in order to stay in the cabin later on dis-embarkation day" - I'm not buying it! :eek:

Please - most people want on that ship on embarkation day as early as possible - the proof it at the pier. People want on, they want to eat lunch (which they will argue that they've paid for) and after lunch they want in their cabins. Just hang around as the clock ticks to 1:00 and no announcement of cabins being ready is forthcoming. The moaning and complaining is heard.

So we all want it ALL. We want staffing levels to remain the same, we want prices to not increase, we want on the ship early, we want our cabins spotless or else we'll post a photo of a hair in the sink. We want cabins available by 1:00 and we surely don't want to leave our cabin early. :cool:

I WILL leave my cabin at the time requested and I will do so out of respect for the staff charged with cleaning that cabin, who has a job to do and not a lot of time to get it done. :D

Completely agree with this. Disembarkation day is the end of the vacation. I usually hear/feel the ship docking and that has happened as early as 4.30am. My purpose on that day is to get off the ship, get to the airport and get home - not hang around getting in everyones way.

I usually regard the end of the vacation as the day I arrive home and not the day I leave the ship. I never fly out the same day. If we have to vacate at 7am then they need to manage disembark so that people don't get stuck onboard for hours. I can easily skip breakfast to do that but would dislike sitting in a lounge waiting for hours.

Edited by Pushka

Bit late now for the thousands who have made bookings. Though perhaps they should all be written to and told, that might throw up some empty cabins.

I accept it is too late for some bookings.

Some cruisers may elect to change their holiday plans.

I recently completed a cruise which had an overnight at the final port. I disembarked in the evening to catch a midflight home rather than hang about the following day.

Annie

Well there will certainly be less of an issue if enough people consider it the final straw in service reductions, and don't book or cancel existing bookings. There are a lot of people who already have cruises booked well into next year. This is pure cost cutting, and I won't have it. Options abound.

I accept that and if it was permissible and I thought it was the final straw, I would cancel.

JMO, it is the latest in a long list of service reductions on Celebrity.

Vote with your wallet if you are unhappy.

Annie

Have just been on second cruise with Princess. Loyal Princess passengers were bemoaning the reductions in several areas esp food. The buffet was nowhere near as good as Celebrity. Sadly it's a general trend. Princess only has 1 cabin attendant and rooms are available on embarkation at 12 noon and are vacated by 8am.

I accept that and if it was permissible and I thought it was the final straw, I would cancel.

JMO, it is the latest in a long list of service reductions on Celebrity.

Vote with your wallet if you are unhappy.

Annie

Depends on where you booked. Having booked in the UK deposits are non-returnable for cancellations and sadly they did not say any time of leaving cabin on T/C when booking, otherwise one could get a cancellation on breach of contract by changing T/C.

Bookings in US and Canada which are before FPD can cancel and walk away with their money.

Depends on where you booked. Having booked in the UK deposits are non-returnable for cancellations and sadly they did not say any time of leaving cabin on T/C when booking, otherwise one could get a cancellation on breach of contract by changing T/C.

Bookings in US and Canada which are before FPD can cancel and walk away with their money.

I am a UK resident but I don't always book via UK TA.

Annie

I suspect the 7:00 AM time has been set as the 8:00 AM time frame saw people leave at 9:00 AM. Their thinking may be that by setting 7:00 AM it will move more people along earlier, and they can get at most by 8:00 AM

So once again the majority have to adjust for the minority, who probably will dawdle as long as they can.

I am a UK resident but I don't always book via UK TA.

Annie

And if we Aussies do the same (not book with AUS TA) then we get the same privileges as US. However Princess cruise lines does not allow us to book with US TA. Cunard and Celebrity do though.

Edited by Pushka

As long as every passenger is made aware at the time of booking that they will be required to vacate the cabin no later than 0700 on the last morning, there will be less of an issue.

Annie

Of course, because the cruise lines always make sure we are aware of all the "rules" ,problem solved....

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

I agree that I suspect that they don't actually expect every cruiser to vacate their cabins by 7 AM. I suspect they know that they really need every cruiser to vacate their cabin by 8 AM, but of course, if they put 8 AM on the notice, you will have the dawdler's that don't plan their timing right and are still there at 8:30. By saying 7, they Stewarts can start some cabins right away and be confident that by 7:30-8, all the cabins will be cleared.

I personally, don't see the need to get into my cabin early on embarkation day. I drop my suitcases with the porters and just carry a carry on with me. Don't mind carrying that around the ship. As long as I can get on the ship and start enjoying the food and drinks and exploring, I don't mind waiting for the cabins to be ready.

I find it ironic that roughly half the people on here want to stay in their cabin later on disembarkation, the other half want to get to their cabins earlier on embarkation day; and some want both! Then, when people come back and review their cruise they complain that their cabin wasn't thoroughly cleaned when they got into it on the first day. You can't have everything everyway just for you. The hotel comparison isn't fair because they don't have to turn over every single room in one 5-6 hour period.

But my vote was that I'm fine with being asked to be out by 8 am, and ok with that cutting into when you can get into the cabin on embarkation day.

I find it ironic that roughly half the people on here want to stay in their cabin later on disembarkation, the other half want to get to their cabins earlier on embarkation day; and some want both! Then, when people come back and review their cruise they complain that their cabin wasn't thoroughly cleaned when they got into it on the first day. You can't have everything everyway just for you. The hotel comparison isn't fair because they don't have to turn over every single room in one 5-6 hour period.

The overwhelming majority have definitely said 7 AM is unreasonable, and they would rather get in their cabin later than disembark earlier.

As for hotels, A) that's not true, it depends on occupancy (just as a ship. The ship doesn't always sail full) and B) on land there are far more employees calling out or dawdling around since they're able to get away from the work, whereas on working on the ship there's no hiding. (i.e.- you absolutely cannot get away with slowly cleaning rooms and making guests wait)

Edited by CoconutOne

The overwhelming majority have definitely said 7 AM is unreasonable...

Yes, the ones complaining here did, you are right. However, is taht what you think is representative?

We all know that most people who could not care less about 7 or 8 am could also not care less about writing in threads where the majority is ranting or forum boards in general...

That is almost like saying: "But on Facebook they said..." Yeah, our new standard.

You will most definitely always read more complaints about anything than approval good things - simply because most people simply enjoy things quietly and seem to have less need to communicate that opposite to complaints and complainers.

I think 7am is generally too early to vacate a room.

My take is a little different, as we have either driven to the port Southampton, or have an evening flight (transatlantic) we are usually the last group scheduled off the ship.

It's bad enough vacating your room at 8am and then having to sit with hand baggage in a public area with nothing much to do until being allowed off at 9.45, but add another hour to this wait? Not a great last memory of a cruise.

Surely there are enough people who wish to leave early to keep cabin attendants busy making up rooms to allow others to remain until 8?

Debbie

You will most definitely always read more complaints about anything than approval good things - simply because most people simply enjoy things quietly and seem to have less need to communicate that opposite to complaints and complainers.

That is very true. If you want to know what people really think then you need to look at how they spend their money not at what they say or write.

Edited by bUU

The cabin steward can only clean one room at a time.

As some people need to/like be off early then have a way of identifying them.

Taking it further have a system where room vacations are staggered to match disembarkation times.

Passenger fills in a form, gets allocated a time to leave the ship as well as to leave their room and gets a sticker on the door to help the cabin steward.

In the event that one cabin steward has several early or late departures then they can swap a room with another on their corridor.

Avoids the chaos that everyone going to breakfast at the same time (some with hand luggage in tow) and then waiting in public areas will create.

An unenjoyable end to the holiday will have a disproportionate effect on repeat bookings.

Now off of Constellation and awaiting our flight back to the UK, whereas on all of our 2016 cruises with Royal, Azamara and Princess we had silent disembarkation tannoy announcements started at 6am. Thankfully not through cabins but loud enough to disturb anyone thinking of sleeping on, this was coupled with loud noises in the corridors and door slamming.

We think Celebrity are going back to the dark ages of cruising whilst others are moving on, certainly not feeling we were valued customers this morning!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The cabin steward can only clean one room at a time.

As some people need to/like be off early then have a way of identifying them.

Taking it further have a system where room vacations are staggered to match disembarkation times.

Passenger fills in a form, gets allocated a time to leave the ship as well as to leave their room and gets a sticker on the door to help the cabin steward.

In the event that one cabin steward has several early or late departures then they can swap a room with another on their corridor.

Avoids the chaos that everyone going to breakfast at the same time (some with hand luggage in tow) and then waiting in public areas will create.

An unenjoyable end to the holiday will have a disproportionate effect on repeat bookings.

When checking into my Singapore hotel, I was asked if it was possible to indicate what time I would be checking out on departure day - no issue if I couldn't. It would assist them in allocating resources at reception. It was nicely done.

Annie

Yes, the ones complaining here did, you are right. However, is taht what you think is representative?

We all know that most people who could not care less about 7 or 8 am could also not care less about writing in threads where the majority is ranting or forum boards in general...

That is almost like saying: "But on Facebook they said..." Yeah, our new standard.

Interesting how when a large sample, like many CC users, many of whom offer praise to Celebrity are written off as just moaners. If this had been a small majority or a small sample I would have laughed at it, but it is larger than I expected when I started the poll.

It is also not really true that stewards can only do one cabin at once. They will usually enter all their cabins and get out the dirty towels and linen for them to be laundered. From hotel and other cruise line experience they do not work one cabin and do everything and then move to the next, not on all change day.

Also which cabin steward will allow another onto their patch when there will be gratuities left in the room, so re-allocating is not likely to work.

We have no idea how this will affect people who have cruised as it has only been a policy for a short while, except the earlier poster here who said how un-valued they felt on leave morning.

Will that nasty taste left in the mouth's of many Celebrity users spill over to if they use Celebrity again, well time will tell and Celebrity might be making big business decisions with this choice.

We will just ignore and leave around 8.30am as normal.

Depends if you want to have breakfast, all restaurants closed at 8am, with Oceanview closing at 8.30.

We just felt for the b2b passengers who had to get up early whether they liked it or not.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Riocca