Is it reasonable to have to vacate cabins at 7am on disembarkation?

AnOnymously

Is 7am a reasonable time to expect passengers to vacate cabins when disembarking?  

858 members have voted

1. 1. Is 7am a reasonable time to expect passengers to vacate cabins when disembarking?

Another bad point was that the disembarkation information stated that all Internet service would cease at 7am and it did a little after that time, having charged $249 for unlimited internet I think I have the right to expect to be able to use it until I leave the ship. It's certainly what has happened on every other cruise line we have been with in the last few years.

What about departing passengers trying to contact taxis, hotel, airlines etc.?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I hope I didn't mistake the message: What Miaminice suggested is that most people, "could not care less". I didn't read that as suggesting that anyone enthusiastically prefers having less time to vacate in the morning as compared to having more time. I read it as part of a trade-off. My best guess about why a cruise line would set the time at 7 am instead of 8 am is to give the cabin attendant more time to do a better job preparing the room for the next set of passengers, and even perhaps supporting the ability to give a little earlier access to cabins when you get aboard the ship. Being unable to get to one's cabin earlier being a complaint that I've read on the forums on Cruise Critic for at least five different cruise lines. I looked at it from that lens: Which would I prefer? [A] The later vacate time on debarkation morning versus some combination of having the cabin cleaned better before I arrive and/or being able to settle into my cabin earlier on embarkation day. Folks will have different preferences about that, of course, but my guess is that many people would prefer .

Another bad point was that the disembarkation information stated that all Internet service would cease at 7am and it did a little after that time, having charged $249 for unlimited internet I think I have the right to expect to be able to use it until I leave the ship. It's certainly what has happened on every other cruise line we have been with in the last few years.

What about departing passengers trying to contact taxis, hotel, airlines etc.?

OMG! Just get up and get the heck off the ship. Vacation over!

For me personally, I would prefer to be able to stay in the cabin untill disembarkation rather than having the cabin early on embarkation day. On embarkation day I can visit restaurants and enjoy the cruise, with no need to sit in the cabin, while on disembarkation day I would like to sleep as long as possible and take a good, long shower. Of course people think differently but I think kicking people out in the middle of the night is not customer friendly.

My best guess about why a cruise line would set the time at 7 am instead of 8 am is to give the cabin attendant more time to do a better job preparing the room for the next set of passengers, and even perhaps supporting the ability to give a little earlier access to cabins when you get aboard the ship.

bUU, nothing personal or against you or your post. :-) I just used it as an example.

What's the point of having an early access to the stateroom when your luggage arrives at 5 PM and sometimes even after dinner? Unless you are in a suite or have Elite+ level your suite cases won't be delivered until later evening.

Also, I already added my two cents on different forum about "quality of cleaning". But I will repeat it here:

Our recent cruise was in November on Constellation. We were in Aqua Class stateroom. The only "clean" items in the stateroom were: towels and sheets. The carpet hasn't seen the vacuum cleaner for weeks. There were dirty Cafe Al Bacio napkins under the bed. There were glass rings on the shelves in the bathroom. There were balls of hair in the closet. The TV stand/cooler was so dusty that I got horrified. I had to put on my rubber gloves and spent good 45 minutes wiping and cleaning the stateroom.

One more point, unless you are a guy and need to do just three things (SSS) then you are OK waking up at 6 AM and going to the breakfast before 7 AM (dragging all your belongings to the Buffet restaurant and cluttering the busy area). But if you are a girl then you don't want to look like hell boarding the plane. You need time to shower, to do your hair and makeup. And that will make me wake up at 5 AM. Nice way to end your vacation! Also, brushing your teeth after a meal is a simple hygiene step. And I would prefer to do it in my stateroom.

Thank you for reading! :-)

bUU, nothing personal or against you or your post. :-) I just used it as an example.

What's the point of having an early access to the stateroom when your luggage arrives at 5 PM and sometimes even after dinner? Unless you are in a suite or have Elite+ level your suite cases won't be delivered until later evening.

Also, I already added my two cents on different forum about "quality of cleaning". But I will repeat it here:

Our recent cruise was in November on Constellation. We were in Aqua Class stateroom. The only "clean" items in the stateroom were: towels and sheets. The carpet hasn't seen the vacuum cleaner for weeks. There were dirty Cafe Al Bacio napkins under the bed. There were glass rings on the shelves in the bathroom. There were balls of hair in the closet. The TV stand/cooler was so dusty that I got horrified. I had to put on my rubber gloves and spent good 45 minutes wiping and cleaning the stateroom.

One more point, unless you are a guy and need to do just three things (SSS) then you are OK waking up at 6 AM and going to the breakfast before 7 AM (dragging all your belongings to the Buffet restaurant and cluttering the busy area). But if you are a girl then you don't want to look like hell boarding the plane. You need time to shower, to do your hair and makeup. And that will make me wake up at 5 AM. Nice way to end your vacation! Also, brushing your teeth after a meal is a simple hygiene step. And I would prefer to do it in my stateroom.

On my last four Celebrity sailings, the luggage was in my cabin before the fire drill or definitely before sailaway. One was an oceanview, two were Aqua and one was Concierge. Sounds like you had a inferior cabin attendant and I would have addressed that with them or their supervisor.

Nothing personal, however if you don't shower, brush your teeth and put make up on, then you won't have any problems with the people sitting in surrounding seats bothering you on the plane. ;) Then you can catch up on your sleep that you missed by disembarking early.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

pretty good thread. there are good points for and against the 7:00 am cattle call to leave your stateroom. I understand the theory about 7:00 am really means 8:00 am and so on. when food venues close so early on D-day this makes no sense to me. on normal days they don't do it. then I was thinking on D-day is when they receive there supplies so that might be the reason they close early, but still that is a lot of people to feed in a short amount time with all the other crap that happens on D-day for us paying passengers. maybe have staggered breakfast times coinciding with departure times.(just a thought)could eliminate overcrowding.

with this being said being out of the room by 7:00 is too early! and I'm an early riser for work.(4:00am start time) coinciding stateroom leaving times with the time you are scheduled to leave the ship make for a more pleasant end to your vacation. of course they will not be able to accommodate 100% but they should come some what close. like I said above this would help the breakfast overcrowding on D-day. I think the flow over all would be better.

I like to be on the ship as soon as possible on E-day. you have paid for it! having the rooms ready by 1:00 is fine with me.

so if push came to shove I would rather have my cake and eat too(lol) seriously I would choose to leave the ship a bit early because we are all in vacation mode the first day and want on the ship. we already know when the dreaded last day is so we deal with that emotion and logistics of getting back to reality which is going home way too early( pun intended)

so to sum up the above bull I feel staggered times is the answer to D-day issues because we all can't eat and leave at the same times. I know they have staggered time to get off the ship but this doesn't help the events leading up to that.

best regards,

ezemoney

If luggage must be set out early..maybe thete will be a pajama party on tbe last night

Some folks have a long travel day ahead and need to eat before setting out...some also like to go back to the stateroom to use the toilet, brush teeth, take meds.

Others may be forced to their post cruise hotels with a long wait for those rooms to be ready...or in some lycky cases pay extra for early check-in

On our recent cruise the attendants worked well together to clear the rooms and seemed to also have some help from housekeeping or somewhere???.

Hopefully it'll work itself out..usually does.

...My best guess about why a cruise line would set the time at 7 am instead of 8 am is to give the cabin attendant more time to do a better job preparing the room for the next set of passengers, and even perhaps supporting the ability to give a little earlier access to cabins when you get aboard the ship..

But ARE the attendants doing a better job? Or are they scrambling to do a barely adequate job because they've had to deal with staffing cuts? And where have you seen that any of these early vacates have resulted in early cabin access for the new arrivals? Because I haven't seen it. This is nothing more than another cost cutting that has resulted in further degradation in customer service. It's ridiculous that a line that used to advertise "modern luxury" can't provide the same quality of customer service as the more basic lines.

The cabin steward can only clean one room at a time. As some people need to/like be off early then have a way of identifying them. Taking it further have a system where room vacations are staggered to match disembarkation times. Passenger fills in a form, gets allocated a time to leave the ship as well as to leave their room and gets a sticker on the door to help the cabin steward. In the event that one cabin steward has several early or late departures then they can swap a room with another on their corridor. Avoids the chaos that everyone going to breakfast at the same time (some with hand luggage in tow) and then waiting in public areas will create. An unenjoyable end to the holiday will have a disproportionate effect on repeat bookings.

There is GENUINE WISDOM in what you have written ... but will anyone (especially the "X" powers-that-be) take notice? We hope so.

Having to be out early is a small price to pay for embarking the first day early! We'd be complaining if we had to wait a long time for our cabins to be ready. We are out of our cabins on time last day' date=' but then we have a relaxed breakfast. No big deal.[/quote']

I think the point is that lines who take a more relaxed view on departure and and allow later cabin vacation don't delay access to cabins on embarkation any later than X do.

We found so many things where cuts were impacting on our expected Celebrity experience, some may just be small things but they all add up!

But ARE the attendants doing a better job?
It's a good question, but one would expect that if they can start at 7AM instead of 8AM they've got a better chance to do so.

Or are they scrambling to do a barely adequate job because they've had to deal with staffing cuts?
We've had them at our company too. Every company seems intent on doing the same with fewer workers.

It's ridiculous that a line that used to advertise "modern luxury" can't provide the same quality of customer service as the more basic lines.
I only have second-hand insight into Celebrity. It would be very useful for me to learn which of the more basic lines do you feel provide superior quality than Celebrity. Thanks!

Hahaha, I'm a girl and I couldn't care less what I look like on the plane ride home, and I really don't see what the big deal is w needing to do hair and makeup for the plane ride home. My preferred time to wake up is 7, so cut things as short as I can if I have to be up earlier. I read exiting cabin by 7 as meaning I need to wake up at 6:30 to shower, dress, brush teeth, then tote my bag to get something to eat at 7. On an international flight I show up at the airport in PJ's so I'm comfortable. Your supposed to look like crud on the plane, who cares.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are on the Eclipse in Feb, will be leaving my cabin around 8-30 or so as

We usually do

I'm sure you drop your bags off in your room at 12:30 when you embark too. Glad to see you've designated yourself as being too important for the rules to apply to you. When a location has to cater to 4,000 people, sometimes there are inconveniences.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OMG! Just get up and get the heck off the ship. Vacation over!

And that is rubbish. The end of a cruise has never been the end of the vacation for us. We always check into a Hotel. At 8 am we will not be welcome there. Just like if we tried boarding a ship at that time.

Guess they will suggest people use "extend your stay" if they want the cabin for longer (in Europe anyway)! ��

Is this still only for European sailings? I am cruising next month and

was looking at my reservation and don't see anything that says "extend

your stay".....

We asked our stateroom attendant about this new policy while on our recent Equinox holiday sailing. He indicated that most people would leave the room around 7 to go up for breakfast and then return to the cabin around 8 to use the bathroom one last time. He had no problem with that. He had 15 staterooms to clean by himself and started with those who disembarked early. We appreciated his reasonable approach to this policy and never felt pushed or rushed to leave early.

Someone earlier suggested stickers on the doors as a way to help the attendants know which rooms to begin cleaning first. That really makes a lot of sense!