Is it reasonable to have to vacate cabins at 7am on disembarkation?

AnOnymously

Is 7am a reasonable time to expect passengers to vacate cabins when disembarking?  

858 members have voted

1. 1. Is 7am a reasonable time to expect passengers to vacate cabins when disembarking?

Hotels often allow check-in at 3 and check-out at 11. Same thing. Perhaps Celebrity could mirror something similar (1pm check-in and 9 am check-out) and charge extra for late check-out. After all it's a floating hotel that happens to have lots of inclusions.

That would only work if the ship is leaving after 6pm or so. Keep in mind that passengers must be on board at least one hour (or is it 90 minutes?) before departure. If they don't start boarding until 1pm and the ship leaves at 4pm or 5 pm that leave only a couple of hours to get 3000+ passengers checked in and boarded.

Don't think anything would happen if one went to breakfast early, put out the Do Not Disturb sign and returned to cabin no later than 8am to actually wash-up, pick up carryons and leave.

I can't imagine everyone dragging their carryon luggage to the buffet for breakfast around the same time on debarkation day. Seems like it would be a mob scene. It's bad enough on embarkation day at the buffet even with people spread around the ship and everyone not boarding at the same time.

Don't think anything would happen if one went to breakfast early, put out the Do Not Disturb sign and returned to cabin no later than 8am to actually wash-up, pick up carryons and leave.

I can't imagine everyone dragging their carryon luggage to the buffet for breakfast around the same time on debarkation day. Seems like it would be a mob scene. It's bad enough on embarkation day at the buffet even with people spread around the ship and everyone not boarding at the same time.

But that's exactly what I'm afraid that 7am vacate your cabin notice will cause.

They can't make disembarkation happen any earlier so it will mean more people walking around with luggage earlier and longer!

:eek:

I suspect this might be another decision that wasn't well thought out before implementation.

And that is rubbish. The end of a cruise has never been the end of the vacation for us. We always check into a Hotel. At 8 am we will not be welcome there. Just like if we tried boarding a ship at that time.

THAT is rubbish! Of course the hotel will welcome you and check you in if a room is available - done it many, many times. If not, they will store your bags for you.

HAL manages it very well, even offering room service breakfast on disembarkation day.

So you can wake up, shower, have a leisurely room service breakfast, finish packing, and sit out on your balcony, not needing to leave your cabin at all that morning until you are ready to get off the ship.

I don't know how they do it, but they manage to do it very well indeed and still have the cabins ready for the new passengers on time.

On the whole, we generally prefer Celebrity to HAL, but I have to admit that this is one area where HAL far outshines Celebrity.

On a few HAL cruises we enjoyed our breakfasts on the veranda and were asked if it was alright for the steward to strip the bed and do a few things in our stateroom while we ate.

Never a problem, possibly because there always seemed to be enough staff to get the job done before the next round of passengers boarded.

Although our last with HAL was a few years ago there always seemed to be a steward in the hall and many times addressed us by name and opened our stateroom door. That happened on Celebrity as well but more like fifteen or so years ago. We will see if this is still the case on HAL on our next upcoming cruise with them.

STAFF CUT BACKS.

bosco

Edited by boscobeans

This thread is addressing a problem that simply doesn't exist, at least on Silhouette today. Received a letter last night that had the 7:00 AM . Many people in cabins well after 8:30 AM when we vacated. There were several announcements that one should vacate cabins, at least every half hour. One Senior Officer told a group of us that the time was only a "suggestion" that many would follow. The reason for the 7:00 AM time was to give more time to the Attendant to prepare the cabin. This was necessary since the Asst. Cabin Attendant position was eliminated and the remain attendant required more time. We left the ship at 10:00 AM and were among the last to leave.

7am way too early, 8am is reasonable & I don't expect to stay in the room longer than. That it's not like at 7 they start cleaning every single room.

Besides I think there are enough early risers that the 7am , is not needed.

On the other hand if people are allowed to stay on the boat later it means the on coming passengers have to wait longer to board.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I don't see the correlation between cabin vacation times and boarding times, even with the 7am out of cabins the last departures from the Constellation were scheduled for 9.30 am we left at about 9.25am.

As we had to exit the terminal through the check-in area it was all set up ready to go and new passengers were already arriving, at the start of our cruise the ship was ready to accept passengers a little after 11am. Once on the ship you have use of all the facilities, bars are open, Oceanview will serve lunch so other than you will have hand luggage with you, and we plan to carry as little as possible, it makes not much difference if the cabins are available at 1, 2 or 3pm.

Just off the Silhouette this AM. Had to vacate at 7 AM. This would be Okay except we were walk-offs with luggage and all walk-offs had to stand in line (long) and wait for an hour to disembark. This is the sad part. They have been pushing the 7 am departure from the rooms. It isn't fair to not offer an alternative. Maybe they did as the departure sheet said walk-offs from 7:30 to 9:30. Never did understand that comment. Left feedback re. this with X.

This thread is addressing a problem that simply doesn't exist, at least on Silhouette today. Received a letter last night that had the 7:00 AM . Many people in cabins well after 8:30 AM when we vacated. There were several announcements that one should vacate cabins, at least every half hour. One Senior Officer told a group of us that the time was only a "suggestion" that many would follow. The reason for the 7:00 AM time was to give more time to the Attendant to prepare the cabin. This was necessary since the Asst. Cabin Attendant position was eliminated and the remain attendant required more time. We left the ship at 10:00 AM and were among the last to leave.

Just saw your post after posting mine. Will know better next time. Steward did push. Walk-offs were a different animal. 4 day cruise, thought everyone was walk-off.

... we plan to carry as little as possible, it makes not much difference if the cabins are available at 1, 2 or 3pm.

Us too but I know that other folks carry aboard more and they would include those who sometimes express concerns about the inability to access their accommodations at the time that they board.

The problem is that the form doesn't call it a suggestion and that the disembarkation talk and morning announcements underscore it isounds like a requirement. Most cruisers are not hooked into a senior officer who can confirm that it is a suggestion.

Since you just disembarked today do you remember if your disembarkation letter said suggest, request, mandatory or something along those lines?

The problem is that the form doesn't call it a suggestion and that the disembarkation talk and morning announcements underscore it isounds like a requirement. Most cruisers are not hooked into a senior officer who can confirm that it is a suggestion.

When was your last Celebrity Cruise and ship? Besides the disembarkation talk and morning announcement's you heard do you remember what your disembarkation letter said on it? Suggest, request, mandatory or something along those lines?

Edited by davekathy

Last week we asked our cabin attendant if we could leave our stuff in the room until after breakfast. He said that it wasn't a problem. By the time we finished eating and went back to brush our teeth, it was 8:30 when we vacated the room. He still was not ready to clean our room.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

It simply said to leave the cabin by 7. I view this much the same as the boarding letter that tells a time for you to board. in reality you came, you boarded even if long before your boarding time. I told my cabin attendant that I would be leaving later than 7AM as a courtesy. Went to breakfast in Blu at 7:45 AM. Some people brought luggage to Blu, but not many. Guessing that they did as I and left luggage in cabin. Saw the very long lines. This was an unusual cruise since only 4 days and the vast number of passengers appeared to be walk offs. I'll be on a longer cruise on January 22nd and I'll see if there are differences when more people might have checked luggage.

It simply said to leave the cabin by 7. I view this much the same as the boarding letter that tells a time for you to board. in reality you came, you boarded even if long before your boarding time. I told my cabin attendant that I would be leaving later than 7AM as a courtesy. Went to breakfast in Blu at 7:45 AM. Some people brought luggage to Blu, but not many. Guessing that they did as I and left luggage in cabin. Saw the very long lines. This was an unusual cruise since only 4 days and the vast number of passengers appeared to be walk offs. I'll be on a longer cruise on January 22nd and I'll see if there are differences when more people might have checked luggage.

Thank you.

When was your last Celebrity Cruise and ship? Besides the disembarkation talk and morning announcement's you heard do you remember what your disembarkation letter said on it? Suggest, request, mandatory or something along those lines?

My last cruise ended in early December (suite on Silhouette). The disembarkation talk said 8, the written material said 7. It used no words that said it was a suggestion - it simply listed it as the time to vacate the cabin. I suspect it was one of the first weeks that they started this, hence the inconsistency. I seized on the inconsistency and left the cabin at 7:45.

My next cruise in February is with my 88 year old mom, and there is no way I will be able to get her out of her cabin by 7, nor do I want to put her under the pressure. I won't even tell her; I will just tell her cabin attendant. And before anyone says "what pressure?" let me know if you are 88 with a flight home ahead of you.

My last cruise ended in early December (suite on Silhouette). The disembarkation talk said 8, the written material said 7. It used no words that said it was a suggestion - it simply listed it as the time to vacate the cabin. I suspect it was one of the first weeks that they started this, hence the inconsistency. I seized on the inconsistency and left the cabin at 7:45.

My next cruise in February is with my 88 year old mom, and there is no way I will be able to get her out of her cabin by 7, nor do I want to put her under the pressure. I won't even tell her; I will just tell her cabin attendant. And before anyone says "what pressure?" let me know if you are 88 with a flight home ahead of you.

Thank you...

Well that is just one more negative move of the very many that Celebrity has made over the past few years. It was wonderful back when Celebrity was "In A Class By Themselves". Now everything is controlled by the Revenue Department. Getting you out of the cabins earlier means the cabin attendants can clean more cabins and Celebrity can hire fewer staff. So sorry but I just do not understand why RCCL just doesn't merge Celebrity into Royal Caribean.

THAT is rubbish! Of course the hotel will welcome you and check you in if a room is available - done it many, many times. If not, they will store your bags for you.

While checking in luggage is usually done there is usually no access to rooms until check in. That means you have to keep valuables like computers, cash, passports on you until you can get to a safe. Good for your experience but unless you have high status for the hotel, (and in some we do - IHG and we do get in early) don't expect it to happen in most places in the world. You have just been very lucky getting into an unpaid room at 8am. And that has been our experience around the world many many times ;).

Not reasonable to be out by 7 am, but I like getting on at 11 am, so I have to make some accommodations. Being out of room is not off ship. If out by 7 am, they are not letting passengers in cabins till 1 pm, which gives them 6 hours to do a thorough cleaning of cabins.

I for sure what them to clean my cabin very well and have time to not rush!

Public spaces seem to be cleaned all the time and not an issue to my knowledge.

If the ship will depart mid- or late-afternoon for its next cruise, say 3-5 p.m., I can see getting people out of their rooms early to get ready for the next passengers.

However, if the ship won't leave until evening for the next cruise, I see no point in dragging people out of their rooms by 7 a.m.!

We're scheduled for a Millie Alaska cruise this summer. The northbound cruise leaves Vancouver at 4:30 p.m., while the southbound cruise leaves Seward at 8 p.m. I see no need for those arriving in Seward from Vancouver to vacate their rooms by 7 a.m., if the new passengers won't be leaving until 8 p.m.