Is it reasonable to have to vacate cabins at 7am on disembarkation?

AnOnymously

Is 7am a reasonable time to expect passengers to vacate cabins when disembarking?  

858 members have voted

1. 1. Is 7am a reasonable time to expect passengers to vacate cabins when disembarking?

Is this still only for European sailings? I am cruising next month and

was looking at my reservation and don't see anything that says "extend

your stay".....

Yes only for Europe, on mine it's on the excursions page on disembarkation day.

Edited by DebbieMacG

I have yet to be told to get off the ship, but would comply within reason if I had to....I used to be one who always followed the rules, but as my youth fades, I tend to do a little bending of the rules now and then...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Lastdance

Yes only for Europe, on mine it's on the excursions page on disembarkation day.

Thankyou so much for this info. We did this on RCL and didn't know it was an option on Celebrity. Our disembarkation in Istanbul was dreadful with multiple ships, slow immigration and a huge thunderstorm.

I've just booked this for our Baltic cruise. You can grab taxis that arrive for guests about to embark. I also note we have to vacate our cabin by 8.30an - grabbed a screenshot - so an interesting variation.

I just sent the following letter. I'll let you know if I get a reply.

Dear Ms. Lutof-Perlo

My husband and I recently returned from a lovely 10 night cruise on the Celebrity Eclipse, which sailed on 12/11/2016. We thoroughly enjoyed our time on board. The service, food, entertainment, and staff were all wonderful. Embarkation was very easy and streamlined and we were on the ship within 30 minutes (or less) after arriving at the port. We very much enjoyed the Concierge Class luncheon in the main dining room. It’s a lovely addition to the Concierge Class benefits that was added since our February, 2016 Constellation sailing. We also noted a marked improvement in the quality of the afternoon savories delivered to our cabin over what we experienced aboard the Constellation this past February. Captain Leo was a delight, very intelligent, personable and the most accessible Captain we’ve encountered on any of our cruises across several cruise lines. The cruise director, Eddie Jenkins was also a pleasant surprise. He is humorous, approachable, with a dry, self-deprecating sense of humor and none of the cheesy typical cruise director jokes.

We look forward to our next Celebrity cruise scheduled for November 27, 2017 aboard the Reflection. Cruising is one of our favorite vacations, and Celebrity is among our favorite cruise lines. While I am sad when the vacation ends, I realize that it’s a necessary part of the trip, and puts us that much closer to the next, so I hope you understand that my husband and I are not sending this because we are complainers who are unhappy about the end of our cruise.

Unfortunately, the cruise ended on a very sour note. Disembarkation in Miami was very disorganized and chaotic. Please note, we were one of the last passengers to depart when reading what occurred next. We booked our return flights with Choice Air last June and were advised by Choice Air that we needed to schedule our flights for after 2:00PM in order to use Luggage Valet. They either were unaware, or didn’t tell us the program had been discontinued. Therefore, because we had a long wait for our flight, we left the ship at approximately 9:45 AM, waiting in Qsine. We always have taken advantage of the Luggage Valet program whenever it was offered, and were unhappy that you chose to discontinue the service. It made the entire process from ship to home simple, and was a service for which we were only too happy to pay. It also was a final “Modern Luxury” touch that left a lovely final memory and made our trip home much easier and more pleasant. The concierge, Violetta, was very nice and did check us in to our return flight and print our boarding passes for our flight home. That was helpful. However, once we left the ship and entered the cruise terminal it was VERY disorganized. There was no way of knowing which room our luggage was in without pushing through crowds of fellow passengers going in all directions. A simple sign at the top of the gangway listing all the luggage numbers and carousel room numbers would have been immensely helpful. If the luggage tags came with an accompanying indication of luggage carousel and room, that too would have helped and would be simple and cost effective to accomplish. Our luggage was located on the carousel in room 3. There was no passageway that was separated, so that passengers trying to find which carousel their luggage was on were all mixed up with passengers who had already retrieved their luggage and were heading in the opposite direction back to room 1 where the the immigration line began. It would have been very helpful to have separated pathways so people could go in opposite directions in separate lanes (as on a highway). There was no one from the cruise line or the terminal staff to help direct traffic. Once we fought and pushed our way through the confused crowds with our hand luggage in tow, we then had to turn around with our bags and hand luggage and push past fellow passengers heading toward the direction from which we had just come. Outside the terminal there was again chaos getting a taxi, or even finding which way to go. It didn’t help matters to know that even though we booked our flights through Choice Air we would then be faced with another disorganized check in process at the Miami Airport to check in our bags. (I know that is not your problem, but Luggage Valet alleviated the necessity for this.) You must be aware that your demographic does tend to skew to a senior clientele, and at least on our particular sailing there were many scooters and walkers being utilized. It is immensely difficult for those people to manage their luggage and mobility issues while pushing through a crowded terminal absolutely lacking in organization. A simple fix would be a note delivered to the staterooms along with the luggage tags indicating in which room to find the luggage and a one way line to and from the luggage carousels into the immigration line. That would allow those who needed assistance to flag down porters and make things run smoothly. It would also cost nothing to accomplish.

I would finally like to offer two more suggestions. We were scheduled for traditional late dining which, as you know begins at 8:30 PM. We were requested to have our luggage outside our room by 10:00PM. In order to accommodate that request, we had to rush through our final dinner aboard. I suggest that there be a slightly later time for bags to be put out for late diners. 11:00 PM would be immensely more workable allowing late dining passengers to return to their cabins after dinner, change and pack the last of their clothing and comply. Lastly, on this cruise we were requested to vacate our cabin by 7:00AM. While I understand the necessity to prepare the ship for incoming passengers anxious to begin their holiday, that is very early considering that the Ocean View Café doesn’t begin serving breakfast until 6:30AM, and most want to return to the cabin, retrieve their hand luggage, brush teeth, and use the facilities before they go to their designated waiting areas or depart. The designated time to vacate our cabin on all of our previous sailings with Celebrity has always been 8:00AM, and that must have worked, since every Celebrity ship on which we’ve sailed has been perfectly ready upon embarkation. We would, if necessary be more than willing to wait for our cabin to be ready an hour later on embarkation day if necessary, while enjoying the rest of the ship.

I find it totally baffling that Royal Caribbean, the mother company of Celebrity and a cruise line that (at least in our experience) gears itself more to families still offers the service of Luggage Valet, while Celebrity does not. Modern Luxury obviously stops a 7:00AM on the day of disembarkation. Can anything be done to aid departing passengers? Is there a way to organize things better in the terminal? I hope so. I would appreciate a reply.

Well we all want to be in our cabins as soon as even possible- so I can understand and see the reason to vacate the cabin no later then 8am. 7 am is a tad early though. Still we can´ t expect for our cabins to be ready on time when the previous traveleres are not obying to the rules.

well it has been more than a year since I last sailed with X- do they offer to stay longer on board? I remember i read something like this here. There is charge for doing so. Well in pushing people out of their cabins by 7 am - more a willing to pay extra in order to stay longer in their cabins. So for X the 7 am out time is very very reasonable. Typical of the way X is going.

I too, would be in favor of later access to staterooms on embarkation day if it meant they do away with this 7am vacate "policy". Typically, we don't head to our room until well past the announcement that rooms are ready, so this wouldn't bother us at all.

Perhaps a new poll suggestion?

What is more important to you:

Early access to your stateroom on embarkation day (12-1pm)

or

More "reasonable" stateroom vacate time frame (9-10am)

Of course, I don't expect anything to change but maybe if Celebrity saw a trend for one preference over the other? (dreaming, I know!!!) :)

Or as at least one other cruise line still does:

Access to your stateroom on embarkation day (12-1PM)

and

Stateroom vacate time on debarkation day at 8 AM.

Guess they will suggest people use "extend your stay" if they want the cabin for longer (in Europe anyway)! ��

I bet you are on to something.

At $39 per person, I am just going to suck it up and book it, so that my D day on our April TA will be a lot more relaxed, since we will be able to stay on board till we can check in at our hotel in Rome, not having to fight the crowds etc etc

I am sure I would not be the only one to start thinking that way.

Astrid

Guess they will suggest people use "extend your stay" if they want the cabin for longer (in Europe anyway)! ��

The "extend your stay" option allows you to remain on the ship longer, but not be in your cabin longer.

You still are supposed to leave the cabin at 7 AM.

The "extend your stay" option allows you to remain on the ship longer, but not be in your cabin longer.

The " Extend your Stay" states that you can stay in your cabin till 8:30

Astrid

Correct. Any extend your stay options I've taken still meant I needed to be out of my cabin at the usual time. Just that I had use of the rest of ship facilities for longer.

Someone earlier suggested stickers on the doors as a way to help the attendants know which rooms to begin cleaning first. That really makes a lot of sense!
What's wrong with the traditional method of putting out the Do Not Disturb sign to indicate that you are still there and putting it inside when you leave?

Nope. 7 AM departure? I wouldn't stay at a hotel who insisted or suggested I vacate at that time. Not reasonable at all.
Great point!

I can't even imagine a hotel having a check out time of 7 AM (or even 8 or 9 AM), claiming that they need to kick you out early to get your room ready for the next occupants.

Just like a cruise ship, there will always be some who want to leave early and some who want to sleep in and leave later.

Correct. Any extend your stay options I've taken still meant I needed to be out of my cabin at the usual time. Just that I had use of the rest of ship facilities for longer.

Not correct. Extend your stay allows you until 8.30am to leave the cabin. As per below I grabbed today - sorry it's blurred but cc does that. It's the first line.

Trying again.

IMG_1484204600.440198.jpg.192c08ae4c11d19198ef5f7b3e9f0f8c.jpg

IMG_1484204456.498178.jpg.30c4378f1c3a496555decd09d2969b53.jpg

Edited by Pushka

Not correct. Extend your stay allows you until 8.30am to leave the cabin. As per below I grabbed today - sorry it's blurred but cc does that. It's the first line.

Trying again.

[ATTACH]401691[/ATTACH]

I wonder if that has been updated since the new departure time of 7am? Don't be surprised if it hasn't (we all know how quickly X update their IT info :rolleyes:). Every time we've used the service previously, you do have to be out of your cabin at the same time as everyone else but you can use some of the available ship facilities.

does anyone know when one has to jump ship with this extendes stay thing for 39,- Dollars- which would do in a heartbeat- when my flight would depart late- better stay on then killing time at the airport.

90 minutes before Ship sail away. We would usually leave when we know we can get into the Hotel room. So around 2pm.

My partner will enjoy a quiet session at the gym with no one else around in the morning. Then a swim. Shower in the change rooms. Then off for some lunch. On RCL last time our drinks package continued to work.

Edited by Pushka

I think it is totally unreasonable.

Just imagine if you are renting a car for one day, arrive at the counter at 11 but are told that your car is available at 1 but you have to return it by 7 am.

It is not that the passengers that are the problem but the decision by Celebrity to cut the staff so that they cannot complete the task in the time allotted.

If we're paying for a day onboard I want the facilities for 24 hours, not 20' not 18 or anything less.

At one time celebrity would advise passengers to board at staggered times. Why not have departures staggered? Not everyone can disembark at once, not all cabins can be cleaned at once. Why have everyone vacate their cabin at once?

Hotels often allow check-in at 3 and check-out at 11. Same thing. Perhaps Celebrity could mirror something similar (1pm check-in and 9 am check-out) and charge extra for late check-out. After all it's a floating hotel that happens to have lots of inclusions.

Hotels often allow check-in at 3 and check-out at 11. Same thing. Perhaps Celebrity could mirror something similar (1pm check-in and 9 am check-out) and charge extra for late check-out. After all it's a floating hotel that happens to have lots of inclusions.

Celebrity does do this. As discussed above.

But a hotel does not have 2 to 3000 people turning over in a half day and they don't have a crew who must do all the work plus be at the beck and call if many who treat them like servants

I think the time should be back to 8am but no later. When you sign on for a cruise you know that disembark day is not a day of your cruise.. except breakfast with grumpy people who are acting like they are never getting another meal

Celebrity does what? I've been allowed on much earlier than the prescribed boarding time on several lines. Perhaps they should enforce the boarding time as many hotels do.

Allows you to stay onboard like longer for a price as you said. We usually check in around 1pm.

Edited by Pushka