Angry Chair Hogs

bouhunter

I know you were just teasing. :) And I feel that the chair hogs are rude, selfish, inconsiderate people. However, I also understand that I cannot control the actions of other people. I know I can either fume over the fact that people hog chairs making it difficult for the rest of us find a chair or I can brush off the fact that there are just people in this world with narcissistic views that don't care about my happiness. Something tells me I will find more happiness in taking the latter stance! :)

I wonder why we never hear from the chair hogs themselves? Would be interesting to get their perspective on why they do what they do?

Can you explain my tan lines then? 35spf reapplied at least once an hour, at max two hours on a sunny lounger, turning every 15 minutes (mainly because my back hurt), once a day. And still I got color.

I sure can. You have tan lines because other areas of your skin, not covered by clothing, tanned. That means the UV rays coming from sun damaged your skin. But how can this be Scott? I had sunscreen on?!?! Sunscreen is only so effective. You know this because you even commented on SPF ratings. Also, over time, sunscreen loses its effectiveness as it dries or is washed away due to sweat/water. So it doesn't matter if you are using SPF 100. If you are getting color, that means the sun is getting through to your skin and damaging it.

I've never understood the people who set up in the shade and sleep. The last thing on my list of things to do is sleepy in public. How embarrassing for them! Mouths agape, snoring, hey what are you doing with your hand...nope. Not for me!

And there are plenty that don't understand the sun worshipers. They don't understand why someone would subject their body to an activity that can cause cancer and will most likely result with them becoming quite wrinkled when they get older. But I look at it this way... it's your vacation. You want to bask in the sun? Please do so. You want to sleep in the shade? Please do so. Simply put, these people are sleeping in the shade because it's what makes them happy.

Just got off the phone with a friend who just got back from their first cruise, RCCL. She said she had no idea what an imbroglio it was around the pool.

im·bro·glio

imˈbrōlyō/Submit

noun

an extremely confused, complicated, or embarrassing situation.

"the Watergate imbroglio"

synonyms: complicated situation, complication, problem, difficulty, predicament, trouble, confusion, quandary, entanglement, muddle, mess, quagmire, morass, sticky situation; More

archaic

a confused heap.

At 57, I'm not too old to learn something new, or I'm so old, I knew this, forgot it and like a lot of shows and books, I get to hear it again for the first time. :D

This is what it looked like in the Solarium on Mariner a few weeks ago almost every day of the cruise!!:D

No%20chair%20hogs.JPG

I'm guessing this was due to the fact that most Asians don't seem to enjoy spending time in the sun, but also there was always someone in the deck patrol duty, and they were super effective!! They were always going around and collecting all the towels from the chairs that had nothing else on them. One time, after DH and I had spend about an hour reading on our loungers, I went to the pool and DH went to use the restroom before he would join me, his towel had been removed when he got back (even though our chairs were pretty much the only ones being used around the pool anyaway).

But even though there were not any chair hogs to be seen on the pool decks, unfotunately the same cannot be said about the Windjammer! It was nearly impossible to find seats at breakfast some mornings. One time DH ended up eating standing up next to me at one of the bar tables, because we were told that the chair next to me was reserved. However, we had finished our breakfast before anyone had come to sit at the chair next to me.

One morning, we took the staff's advice and decided to take our breakfast to the pooldeck, but that wasn't such a good idea. There was such a heavy wind that my waffles flew across the deck as soon as we stepped outside :eek:.

Anyway, we really enjoyed the cruise :)

And this is why I would never remove items from a chair even if it was a towel.

I would get a staff member to do it and should the person come back I can say items were removed by staff.

If staff member wouldn't move items I would move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agreed. Let a staff member move it. Also make sure the chairs have been vacated more than the allowed time. Too many times I see people posting in the chair hogs thread that if they see empty chairs with stuff on it they claim the chairs without even knowing how long those guests have been gone. What if they had just went to the bathroom or a quick dip in the pool?

im·bro·glio

imˈbrōlyō/Submit

noun

an extremely confused, complicated, or embarrassing situation.

"the Watergate imbroglio"

synonyms: complicated situation, complication, problem, difficulty, predicament, trouble, confusion, quandary, entanglement, muddle, mess, quagmire, morass, sticky situation; More

archaic

a confused heap.

At 57, I'm not too old to learn something new, or I'm so old, I knew this, forgot it and like a lot of shows and books, I get to hear it again for the first time. :D

I first learned this word from a colleague who also introduced me to plethora. you wouldn't believe what crap I took whenever I used either word in a memo.

Edited by PoppyandNana

Around 25 years ago on our 1st cruise aboard Celebrity's Horizon I am thinking that I/we encountered a chair hog in the flesh, up close and personal-like.

We were a young married couple who where cruising with another couple. We all had breakfast somewhat early and headed back to our rooms to change into our swim suits. The other couple's wife beat us back to the deck area on this rather smallish ship (held about 1500 or so passengers). She had 4 chairs for us that she had already placed* towels upon and we all 4 settled in for a relaxing at sea day on the ship. The seats were nothing special ie. not right next to the pool or anything....just 4 loungers together.

We had been there well over an hour or more (occasionally hopping in and out of the pool). It was about this time that the chair hog appeared before us. His appearance happened right about the time the lady half of the other couple was in the rest room. He was a rather large middle aged fellow. He was not happy.

The hog wanted to know why "we" were sitting in "his" chairs on "his" towels. We had no idea what he was talking about. The wife half of our couple friends came back from the restroom while this conversation was going on.

Now, again, please remember we had been in these seats for well over an hour, actually approaching 2 hours. There were still lots of seats around us with towels....and nobody in them. He told us that he had put 2 towels on two of the chairs we were sitting in early in the morning and that he had actually been lying on one of them at some point ??? Not saying that he hadn't but we were cruise newbies and we had arrived at these chairs around 8:30am or so. Now again, we had no idea that 2 of the chairs had towels on them because our friend had never mentioned anything to us or her husband...just that she had gotten us loungers and towels. That is all we knew. That was our story and we were sticking to it.

The guy began to tell us that he had a skin rash and he hoped that we caught it since we had taken his loungers and towels. He stormed off muttering to himself. The 3 of us asked our friend, Bridgett uh, did you/we take somebody's chairs with towels. Her response was that when she got to the deck area that there were lots of towels spread very nicely on chairs with no belongings or folks around. She said that she just assumed that the attendants placed towels on the chairs for guests who wanted to use* the chairs. I am not saying that her decision to take the chairs was right. I had never heard of something called a chair hog. If I had know of such an animal, I would have not given it a second thought. Of course I was young and fearless then.

Thinking back now, I do think that we were fortunate that the chair hog we encountered knew that he was in the wrong and kind of slinked away. Most chair hogs know that they are wrong, now, also. It is the bowed up ones that you have to keep watch out for....those kind can be nasty.

Edited by baileybrad

So, from what I can gather, we have two options for securing chairs at the pool. Option A. Get up at the butt crack of dawn and lay out in the dark, or Option B. Start marking our territory like animals 😂 Or maybe another Option start carrying around sticky notes saying if you haven't been in this chair in the last hour, your towel will be removed! 🙊

So, from what I can gather, we have two options for securing chairs at the pool. Option A. Get up at the butt crack of dawn and lay out in the dark, or Option B. Start marking our territory like animals 😂 Or maybe another Option start carrying around sticky notes saying if you haven't been in this chair in the last hour, your towel will be removed! 🙊

The 2 times I was on the Allure and Oasis as long as you got out by 9:00 or 9:30 AM there were usually plenty of chairs by the pool. If you want to sleep until 10:30 and come out to the pool at 11 you might have some trouble finding a chair though

I am usually a super friendly nice polite person ... but I've sort of had it with pool/beach chair hogs in crowded public venues when there are no 'reserved' or paid arrangements. (Its completely different if we're renting chairs or cabanas.) I have become very Karen-like (ala Will & Grace) ...

I spot a chair with absolutely no personal items on it ... only a cruise/resort towel ... if it stays empty for several minutes ... I walk over, move the towel to the next chair ... place my towel down and lay down. Problem solved :D

In the rare event that anyone approaches me ... (maybe twice in the past 6 or so years) ... the conversation basically goes ...

SB: Hey, you're in my chair!

ME: "This chair? Oh ... it was empty" (pleasant expression/tone ... but never remove my sunglasses ... make no move to get up)

If they seem to want more discussion ... I wait for them but eventually say something along the lines of ... "All these hotel towels look the same ... " and I lay back and close my eyes. If they pursue it, i keep my voice pleasant and bored and say something along the lines of "Well, if you want to go get a staff member to come sort this out ..."

Generally I've found that suddenly the chair issue isn't that big of a deal and the person moves on.

Maybe I'm being rude or 'insensitive' but seriously ... the chair is for use by a person it isn't a 'storage place' for your towel or even personal items ... I've seen the mom of a family take up a chair for every single person (5 in all) for a day at a resort pool when the 2 younger kids never left the pool ... the dad never left the TV screen at the bar by the pool and the teenager came and got the moms room key to go up to their room and play video games. But there set mom with a towel and an article of clothing on each of the 4 empty chairs as other guests continually walked by scanning for chairs. I'm not the chair police ... but it just bugged me ...

I still think that if the policy is 30 minutes, then you should wait at least 30 minutes and then have cruise staff remove the items. What I have also found that if you are out by the pool by 9AM or so there are usually plenty of chairs by the pool ( so no need to go out at 6 AM and hog or to move someone's stuff off of a chair)

I also think part of the problem ( not saying you) is that some sleep in and wait until noon to go out by the pool and then get mad when they cannot find a chair right away. Therefor they move the stuff of the first unoccupied chair they see. Not really the best approach in my opinion

I can understand the chair hogs being upset, but it's a little embarrassing for them to lash out when they are clearly in the wrong. You'd think they would slink away a little ashamed of trying to do what they did.

Tom

Brazen, arrogant, idiots...........that's why you have the problem in the first instance

Yea, I'd love it because I'd have the deck above the pool where I always go by myself. ;o)

There can still be fights up there. I was on Navigator on a Sea Day. My wife and I had chairs on the upper deck. After about 2 hours, I gave up my seat and went to do other things while my wife stayed in her chair. She said a lady came and claimed my seat and 2 adjacent ones. I stopped by an hour later after a workout in the gym and a couple of miles walking to see if she wanted anything. I noticed my shoe was untied and sat down on the edge of one claimed chair just to tie my shoe and the lady from 3 chairs down, came running at me yelling about her chair. That day every available deck chair was accounted for. When I told her I was only tying my shoe she continued to yell at me. I told her the more she yelled the longer I stayed. I did stay 20 minutes and nobody else showed up to use the chairs.

I wonder if there are signs posted in the swimming pool area letting them know their belongings will be removed if no one returns after a half hour and they can find their belongings at the pool bar or towel check in/out area?

I don't believe so. I have seen in the cruise planners where they tell people the rules, but how many people pay attention.

I'm just thinking having a few signs posted "in your face" at the pool area may help the situation. You can't deny what is right in front of you.

Will it stop all chair hogs? Maybe not, but maybe they won't have a leg to stand on when you point to the sign. I also agree with a previous poster not to touch someone elses belongings. That just gets people riled up. I always ask a staff member to remove it.

I wonder if there are signs posted in the swimming pool area letting them know their belongings will be removed if no one returns after a half hour and they can find their belongings at the pool bar or towel check in/out area?

I don't believe so. I have seen in the cruise planners where they tell people the rules, but how many people pay attention.

I'm just thinking having a few signs posted "in your face" at the pool area may help the situation. You can't deny what is right in front of you.

Will it stop all chair hogs? Maybe not, but maybe they won't have a leg to stand on when you point to the sign. I also agree with a previous poster not to touch someone elses belongings. That just gets people riled up. I always ask a staff member to remove it.

See post 162. :D

Move the items yourself and say that the staff did it. ;)

Edited by John&LaLa

See post 162. :D

Move the items yourself and say that the staff did it. ;)

Oh my gosh...you are right. I do remember seeing those signs now. Stick them next to the chairs then LOL! Space them out between every deck chair! :p

How come someone who occupies a lounge constantly from 8AM to 4PM is not a chair hog. :confused:

If you are occupying a chair, you're not a chair hog, you're using the chair. It's the folks who put articles on chairs and then don't show up for hours who are chair hogs.

How come someone who occupies a lounge constantly from 8AM to 4PM is not a chair hog. :confused:

As other have said, there are 3,000+ passengers and only several hundred loungers on many ships

Because there's no policy in place limiting the time you can spend IN the chair.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app

Maybe one way to get the chair hogs is to take their towel and hand it back to the towel station and say it was found abandoned. Remember - Anyone that has a towel checked out on their sea pass that is not returned at the end of the cruise can be charged $25! :D

From my experience, they don't check the towels out so nothing to return. I love to watch the sunrise with a cup of coffee. So I'm up very early and snag my favorite spot to enjoy my coffee and wait on the sun. Several times I have seen people stop by the towel station that is closed but has lots of fresh towels. Seen them grab a handful of towels and then lay them out on chairs...Then leave and never come back before I left for breakfast...About 9 am.

I've got to be honest though...I have more than once picked them towels up and return them to the towel staton

Sent from Psycho's iPad using Forums

There can still be fights up there. I was on Navigator on a Sea Day. My wife and I had chairs on the upper deck. After about 2 hours, I gave up my seat and went to do other things while my wife stayed in her chair. She said a lady came and claimed my seat and 2 adjacent ones. I stopped by an hour later after a workout in the gym and a couple of miles walking to see if she wanted anything. I noticed my shoe was untied and sat down on the edge of one claimed chair just to tie my shoe and the lady from 3 chairs down, came running at me yelling about her chair. That day every available deck chair was accounted for. When I told her I was only tying my shoe she continued to yell at me. I told her the more she yelled the longer I stayed. I did stay 20 minutes and nobody else showed up to use the chairs.

Yea I realize that. My post was a tongue in cheek response to another posters humorous post.

Because I have NEVER seen it close that every lounger is occupied by an actual body. If there are chairs without bodies in them, why should anyone be forced to vacate the chair they are actually in? If every chair was in fact occupied, then a time limit would probably make sense. Indeed on embarkation day before rooms open it is possible that (almost) every chair in Windjammer is occupied; in that circumstance IMO people need to move on and free up chairs so others can sit and eat.

How come someone who occupies a lounge constantly from 8AM to 4PM is not a chair hog.

Because there's no policy in place limiting the time you can spend IN the chair.

If you are occupying a chair, you're not a chair hog, you're using the chair. It's the folks who put articles on chairs and then don't show up for hours who are chair hogs.

Because I have NEVER seen it close that every lounger is occupied by an actual body. If there are chairs without bodies in them, why should anyone be forced to vacate the chair they are actually in? If every chair was in fact occupied, then a time limit would probably make sense.

Hog - keep or use all of something for oneself in an unfair or selfish way

As other have said, there are 3,000+ passengers and only several hundred loungers on many ships

Just food for thought ;)

How come someone who occupies a lounge constantly from 8AM to 4PM is not a chair hog. ...

The term "chair hog" as applied to cruise ships is defined here on CC. Definitions via Webster or otherwise are not applicable.

Edited by clarea