Angry Chair Hogs

bouhunter

Indeed, it should follow that if you want a chair others might as well. But, we live in a kind of "look out for yourself" culture too and it's just made worse by the limited number of seats available. It isn't hard to imagine that someone knows that others would like the chair, but just figures "too bad" I got there first.

It would be nice if the rules were better posted and enforced so people could have a chance to be reminded in their frenzy.

Tom

I mean, it's one of those things that SHOULD be common sense. It's one thing if you leave your chair for 45 min - 1 hour to get lunch, but to just leave it with your crap on it for hours without returning...people KNOW that is rude and wrong. Even if it's not against the rules to do that (Which is in for certain time periods), it's just disheartening to see so many passengers act to selfishly and not think of others.

Photo is mine, but BillOh has exclusive rights to use it at any time. As a matter of fact, I was hoping you'd break it out on this thread! :D:D:D

Taken on the Freedom a few years ago.

Thanks, I couldn't remember who gave it to me, Someday I'll create it and post it in 1280*1024.

I mean, it's one of those things that SHOULD be common sense. It's one thing if you leave your chair for 45 min - 1 hour to get lunch, but to just leave it with your crap on it for hours without returning...people KNOW that is rude and wrong. Even if it's not against the rules to do that (Which is in for certain time periods), it's just disheartening to see so many passengers act to selfishly and not think of others.

Unfortunately, common sense isn't very common these day, just like common courtesy. Several cruises ago, DW and I stopped worrying about. We now go for a swim when we want, and then return to chairs in some quiet, less popular area. Or return to our balcony to curl up with a good... iPad. :)

I just came to the realization that there is only one guaranteed seat on the entire ship. The lifeboats. Every other seat has to be shared by your fellow passengers at some time or another.

My point is that even if there were no chair hogs, in any given venue, at any given time, someone will not be able to find a seat.

Even the MDR has seats that are hogged by people that are signed up for early or late dining and elect not to show up.

Unfortunately, common sense isn't very common these day, just like common courtesy. Several cruises ago, DW and I stopped worrying about. We now go for a swim when we want, and then return to chairs in some quiet, less popular area. Or return to our balcony to curl up with a good... iPad. :)

I know, so disappointing. On NCL, I've always had trouble finding a chair (Even in really unpopular areas) on RCI, I've never had a problem, so I only get really bothered by it if it's a sea day and there's literally no chairs but 1/2 of the chairs taken are being used by "Hogs" who never return. Just needs to be policed better by the cruiseline. If this were to happen in such a massive way at showtimes, it would be taken care of

Edited by aubreyc1988

I just came to the realization that there is only one guaranteed seat on the entire ship. The lifeboats. Every other seat has to be shared by your fellow passengers at some time or another.

My point is that even if there were no chair hogs, in any given venue, at any given time, someone will not be able to find a seat.

Even the MDR has seats that are hogged by people that are signed up for early or late dining and elect not to show up.

So that was YOU on my balcony!:mad::mad::mad:

Here's the problem. People have different time limits before it becomes a "hogging" situation. It seems for some, simply going into the pool and leaving something on your chair means you're hogging it.

On the other hand, you're ok with someone "claiming" the chair for an hour and possibly not even be on the same deck.

RCI could also help this by setting up "cubbies" for people to put towels/shoes/books/coverups in while they're using the pool. That's generally all I'm looking for is a place for my stuff while I'm in the pool.

Here's the problem. People have different time limits before it becomes a "hogging" situation. It seems for some, simply going into the pool and leaving something on your chair means you're hogging it.

On the other hand, you're ok with someone "claiming" the chair for an hour and possibly not even be on the same deck.

RCI could also help this by setting up "cubbies" for people to put towels/shoes/books/coverups in while they're using the pool. That's generally all I'm looking for is a place for my stuff while I'm in the pool.

this is true! Personally, I never leave my chair for more than a dip in the pool, but I can see what you're saying with different time limits for different people. This chair hogging situation has gone on SO long in cruising, it's past time for the cruiseline to provide a solution for us, because "More chairs" or "Posted signs with time limits" has not been cutting it.

It may have been mentioned in an earlier post, but the idea of the pool attendants using post-its or something similar on abandoned chairs with an expiration time then actually clearing them when the time expires. Kind of like the police chalking tires for timed parking zones... :)

Yep, some people think that they should be able to get up and go to lunch and come back to their seats. Personally I think if your chair will be taken that quickly, that's a sign that more people would like to be where you are than can be, so taking turns and sharing time is fair, rather than parking out there all day because you happen to have gotten there before others. But I know others feel, as long as they lay in the chair all day, then all is good.

Personally I can't lay out because I'm slightly off-white and will burn super quick. But it is frustrating when we want to take the kids to the pool and there is no where to put their stuff. I agree, cubes or little lockers that don't lock would be great for this.

I still can't get over the people who hog chairs that bring SPECIAL CLIPS/DEVICES to tie their stuff down to the chair. It's like the pre plan to hogging to an extent I didn't believe was possible until the last couple of cruises. I saw some pretty inventive ones. And people even using rope to tie them together so you can't pull them apart! That is dedication right there

I still can't get over the people who hog chairs that bring SPECIAL CLIPS/DEVICES to tie their stuff down to the chair. It's like the pre plan to hogging to an extent I didn't believe was possible until the last couple of cruises. I saw some pretty inventive ones. And people even using rope to tie them together so you can't pull them apart! That is dedication right there

Hey, nothing wrong with Boca clips, they are great. Not sure why that indicates you are a chair hog. :confused:

I am usually a super friendly nice polite person ... but I've sort of had it with pool/beach chair hogs in crowded public venues when there are no 'reserved' or paid arrangements. (Its completely different if we're renting chairs or cabanas.) I have become very Karen-like (ala Will & Grace) ...

I spot a chair with absolutely no personal items on it ... only a cruise/resort towel ... if it stays empty for several minutes ... I walk over, move the towel to the next chair ... place my towel down and lay down. Problem solved :D

In the rare event that anyone approaches me ... (maybe twice in the past 6 or so years) ... the conversation basically goes ...

SB: Hey, you're in my chair!

ME: "This chair? Oh ... it was empty" (pleasant expression/tone ... but never remove my sunglasses ... make no move to get up)

If they seem to want more discussion ... I wait for them but eventually say something along the lines of ... "All these hotel towels look the same ... " and I lay back and close my eyes. If they pursue it, i keep my voice pleasant and bored and say something along the lines of "Well, if you want to go get a staff member to come sort this out ..."

Generally I've found that suddenly the chair issue isn't that big of a deal and the person moves on.

Maybe I'm being rude or 'insensitive' but seriously ... the chair is for use by a person it isn't a 'storage place' for your towel or even personal items ... I've seen the mom of a family take up a chair for every single person (5 in all) for a day at a resort pool when the 2 younger kids never left the pool ... the dad never left the TV screen at the bar by the pool and the teenager came and got the moms room key to go up to their room and play video games. But there set mom with a towel and an article of clothing on each of the 4 empty chairs as other guests continually walked by scanning for chairs. I'm not the chair police ... but it just bugged me ...

Pool_april2016.jpg.5d26db3c76b3ba7f417f0785578142c0.jpg

Edited by Cro_and_Swan

Hey, nothing wrong with Boca clips, they are great. Not sure why that indicates you are a chair hog. :confused:

I agree, we use them all the time on the lounge chairs. I've also heard they can keep your wet clothes attached to your balcony furniture.

I spot a chair with absolutely no personal items on it ... only a cruise/resort towel ... if it stays empty for several minutes ... I walk over, move the towel to the next chair ... place my towel down and lay down. Problem solved :D

In the rare event that anyone approaches me ... (maybe twice in the past 6 or so years) ... the conversation basically goes ...

SB: Hey, you're in my chair!

ME: "This chair? Oh ... it was empty" (pleasant expression/tone ... but never remove my sunglasses ... make no move to get up)

Several minutes...... if it were mine, I would be upset. We go no further then the pool or bar. If we go to Park Cafe, one would go while the other remains in our chairs.

I understand your frustration, but I think you might want to leave it a bit longer than "several minutes". Unless you are talking in the 30 minute plus range. Just my opinion.

.... you might want to leave it a bit longer than "several minutes". Unless you are talking in the 30 minute plus range. Just my opinion.

Yes perhaps my use of the vague word "several" was a poor choice ... I don't tend to run a stop watch or time how long I wait, but it's long enough that it isn't likely to be a 'quick dip in the pool' or a 'just gone to the bar' kind of thing. As I mentioned I've rarely even had anyone return ... twice in 6 or so years maybe ... my guess is that more often than not, the person has simply wandered away and found other more interesting things to do ... leaving the towel and chair completely forgotten.

Edited by Cro_and_Swan

I agree. Having them doesn't make one a chair hog anymore than people who bring books or flip flops on a cruise. We use them and sit in our pool chairs all day. They also work great for holding your flip flops off the deck at the beach pool. No more floating away flip flops on a wavy day. They also work great to keep your cabin curtains shut tight and can also hold your wet swim suit attached to your balcony chair to dry overnight. The most obvious use it to keep your towel from blowing onto your head on a windy day.

Edited by A&L_Ont

Yes perhaps my use of the vague word "several" was a poor choice ... I don't tend to run a stop watch or time how long I wait, but it's long enough that it isn't likely to be a 'quick dip in the pool' or a 'just gone to the bar' kind of thing. As I mentioned I've rarely even had anyone return ... twice in 6 or so years maybe ... my guess is that more often than not, the person has simply wandered away and found other more interesting things to do ... leaving the towel and chair completely forgotten.

Phew. If I need to go for a pre-pool pee, I don't have to worry about losing my chair! :)

Now, I am totally against chair hogs..... to me, that is someone who is NOT there in the pool area and is just saving a chair for their convenience.

What if I am in the pool for 45 minutes, come out wet, to find you have removed my towel. I would be the one calling security on you. And the crew would know me, because when I get out, or even jumping out and running to the bar for a drink. So the crew would know I was using the chair properly.

This is not being a chair hog... you are now the chair hog...

Edited by troykahack

So I know this is dumb ... but I'm feeling chatty so I just have to share ... my daughter is vegetarian .... so while I keep seeing references to Boca Clips and i know what they are ... I just keep thinking of Boca Burgers .... :rolleyes: and laughing at the visual of a lonely veggie burger hanging out on a deck chair ... :p

boca.jpg.362efb48b4eb693b4d83dc3d73068b63.jpg

Boca-Burger.jpg.7604ff3a8c35b14c9a74732328b5585a.jpg

I just can not wait until I see the ultimate chair hog. Yo know when you have seen a huge group of family and friends say 40 of them; take one of the group pictures on the stairs? Next morning I could see one of them get up and claim every pool chair that rings the pool. Lets see what the RCCL people do then. You know its going to happen some day. LOL