Angry Chair Hogs

bouhunter

As I and others have noted through the years, a major problem with the chair hogs is the blatant refusal of RCCL to enforce its own rules on a consistent basis. In addition, RCCL has so reduced the numbers of pool personnel that the problem has been growing.

I'll tell you on our 1st Quantum cruise, there was a female staff in the Solarium that timed empty loungers with towels at 20 minutes interval and cleared the stuff off those loungers. How I know, I was one of the victims. We went to the WJ and it was maybe 30 minutes and my stuff was cleared. lol

Ps. I have also seen timers on the Oasis, but it was a 30 minutes intervals.

I'll tell you on our 1st Quantum cruise, there was a female staff in the Solarium that timed empty loungers with towels at 20 minutes interval and cleared the stuff off those loungers. How I know, I was one of the victims. We went to the WJ and it was maybe 30 minutes and my stuff was cleared. lol

Ps. I have also seen timers on the Oasis, but it was a 30 minutes intervals.

I know we aren't meant to point out spelling errors on CC, but shouldn't that be "transgressors"? :)

Your post makes me wonder if some cruisers actually know the rules. All of us on CC are aware of the chair hog issue, but do all passengers? With a group of Neanderthals like this, it's hard to tell if they don't know or don't care. Maybe it doesn't matter in the long run, but it might explain their failure to "slink away" as you so nicely phrased it. :)

The "chair hog" rule is posted in the cruise compass every day.

I would highly doubt anyone who puts a towel, book, etc. down on a pool chair and leaves thinks they are doing the right thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As I and others have noted through the years, a major problem with the chair hogs is the blatant refusal of RCCL to enforce its own rules on a consistent basis. In addition, RCCL has so reduced the numbers of pool personnel that the problem has been growing.

Carnival and NCL have it down pat by placing stickers on the towels and checking every 30 minutes. If the sticker is still there they take the towel. Not sure how common this is, but they enforced it on the last two I was on. It work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The "chair hog" rule is posted in the cruise compass every day.

I would highly doubt anyone who puts a towel, book, etc. down on a pool chair and leaves thinks they are doing the right thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Assuming this group would take the time to read it. :)

Seriously, I've spoken to passengers who never read any of the cruise compass or similar publications on other lines. The first time I came to this realization was when a couple complained about not being told about a change in ship time. Very clearly posted, but they'd never bothered to read it. The old case of being able to take a horse to water...

There are ALWAYS folks who will "Bend" the rules. Here's the thing..if there are loungers available...why do you give a fig if one 2 feet closer to the pool is "toweled"? I mean, really.

If there are NO CHAIRS anywhere...I can see making a stink...otherwise...sit down, and shut up. NO one cares.. Really...

The best way to get back at the chair hogs is to beat them at their own game.

I get out to the pool area earlier them and claim 4 chairs by putting my stuff on it.

This way when I come back later, the hogs don't get my loungers.

Works every cruise..

I did have a guy threaten me one time on Navigator. I was close to standing up and having him realize he had bit off more than he could chew when his wife stood up and said, "Over here honey" He had left the solarium from one end, came back from the other and he went to the wrong seat.

Heh, at the Windjammer once, we were having dessert when a woman came up to our table with a plate of food and announced that this was her table. Apparently she had put her stuff down to save the table.

We had been there about 30 minutes and didn't see any "stuff" -- and I told her so.

She walked away, giving us a parting disgusted look as if we had stolen her table and hid her "stuff".

I am willing to bet she got lost finding her table.

Occasionally we get to see a little preshow entertainment in the theater. We like to get to the theater early and watch the theater chair hog that is saving a bunch of seats next to each other. Running back and forth trying to stop others that are trying to sit down while trying to see if others from their group have entered the theater.

Edited by davekathy

Last week on Allure my wife is in a lounger on deck 16 around 10-11:00AM. Some people asked about towels on chairs nearby and she and others nearby say they've been there at least an hour or more with no sign of anyone occupying them. The four people move the towels and lie down. Later some people show up and start raising HELL about it saying it was rude and wrong to take "their chairs". I showed up as this was happening, and it went downhill from there quickly. The chair hogs kept ranting and raving, pacing back and forth in front of these people. Then they started telling them that if they dared move for a minute their stuff would be gone. Then they sat down across from the people and proceeded to stare at them. It was beginning to feel like they were threatening and harassing those poor people. These were large, angry and quickly becoming scary people. Finally one of the by now victims fetched security. Soon there were 5 security staff talking to these bullies. They continued their ranting and raving, now directed at ship staff. I heard one of them tell security "I'm a tough guy!!". It literally took security close to THIRTY MINUTES to talk these people down and get them to move on.

It blows my mind that people could get so worked up about something like this during their VACATION instead of just moving on and enjoying their day. It was somewhat entertaining to watch, but also scary to see people become so unhinged in public.

The chair hogs were so wrong.

There are ALWAYS folks who will "Bend" the rules. Here's the thing..if there are loungers available...why do you give a fig if one 2 feet closer to the pool is "toweled"? I mean, really.

If there are NO CHAIRS anywhere...I can see making a stink...otherwise...sit down, and shut up. NO one cares.. Really...

Love this reply. WAY TOO MUCH TIME spent on the subject of chair hogs!!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

I agree with you, but OP didn't really list the circumstances so this could be what the did. The time the posted is a pretty popular pool time...

Tom

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If I had room I would have just invited her to join us...

Tom

Heh, at the Windjammer once, we were having dessert when a woman came up to our table with a plate of food and announced that this was her table. Apparently she had put her stuff down to save the table.

We had been there about 30 minutes and didn't see any "stuff" -- and I told her so.

She walked away, giving us a parting disgusted look as if we had stolen her table and hid her "stuff".

I am willing to bet she got lost finding her table.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We humans sure don't like to admit we're actually animals, do we? All of the OP's observations are actually astute observations of aggressive mammal behavior. Leaving your stuff spread around to mark your territory is the same as piddling and marking with scent glands. Humans don't have a good sense of smell, so we mark the territory visually, by putting up fences, painting lines, planting hedges, and so on. Dropping towels and stuff on chairs is marking territory. Leaving it a long time and expecting it to still be there is showing dominance - don't you dare touch my place and my stuff.

Staring is extremely aggressive mammal behaviour. It's a warning signal that a direct attack is possible at any time. Other aggressive signals in humans are loud nose breathing, repeated fist-clenching, and shoulder pumping. Again, signs of dominance, or attempted dominance.

Quite a demonstration of mammalian aggression and territoriality the OP described! I don't know the solution.

On the few cruises that my wife and I have been on, we tend to chose chairs that face towards the ocean, and away from the hustle and bustle of the pool area. I know we are in the minority because there are always plenty of those chairs available.

Although, we were on Liberty on our last cruise, and there were only about a dozen or so people way out on the forward deck on the chairs next to the running track. All was quiet and relaxing enjoying a sea day out in the middle of nowhere when all of a sudden, the Ship's horn blew a loud burst. Well my wife and I both bounced up at least a foot above our chairs and I just about shat my trucks. We looked around, dazed, at the others and all looked the same with wide eyes and puzzlement. I got up and looked out forward to see if I could see any other ship but it was all clear. I noticed a security camera underneath the bulk head watching out onto the deck and thought to myself that they must of had a bet on how high they could make us jump. Either that or some kid on a ship tour convinced the captain to "Honk the horn". Anyway, it was darn loud!

dp

Edited by dpostman

After what to wear in the MDR this the most talked about problem on cruise critic. I have seen a woman sit in a chair by the pool and tell me the next seven seats next to her are already taken. An hour goes by and she is still the only one sitting there. You are right I have never seen RCCL staff enforce the chair rules; maybe they do not want to offend anyone either.

I have, but its not duty I would want. I have a couple of photos of people saving 8 seats for hours, but I'm not allowed to post them.

deckpatrol.jpg

deckpatrol2.jpg

Edited by BillOh

When I retire i want to work on the ship as the chair monitor just to put these people in their place. The sweet satisfaction of taking away thier marked space. LOL

JoeRum

Hey! I want that job, too! :D:D

Seriously though, this is why I spend my time on my balcony. I don't want to deal with the drama. I'm on vacation mon.

I dislike chair hogs as well. My friends and I ensure we have a set number of chairs saved EARLY in the morning, and we rotate in and out of them to keep them filled throughout the day. Everyone gets a little sun time and we're not hogging any chairs.

Someday I will book a suite and get the perk of reserved deck chairs...ahhh.....

On the Grandeur, in the solarium the chairs are reserved by 6AM. IF no one is around, I always gather up all the towels. I'm always up early.

I get angry when people reserve whole blocks of seats in the theatre. I used to move on, but now just sit down. Never was threatened... just mean looks.

On the Enchantment I sat down at a table in the smoking section. There was just one women at one table. She said she was saving this section for her friends. The whole section! I said that was OK but I'm sitting here. She thought I was very rude. Fortunately I don't smoke so I eventually moved on.

I wish the cruise line would enforce their rules.