Angry Chair Hogs

bouhunter

We humans sure don't like to admit we're actually animals, do we? All of the OP's observations are actually astute observations of aggressive mammal behavior. Leaving your stuff spread around to mark your territory is the same as piddling and marking with scent glands. Humans don't have a good sense of smell, so we mark the territory visually, by putting up fences, painting lines, planting hedges, and so on. Dropping towels and stuff on chairs is marking territory. Leaving it a long time and expecting it to still be there is showing dominance - don't you dare touch my place and my stuff.

Staring is extremely aggressive mammal behaviour. It's a warning signal that a direct attack is possible at any time. Other aggressive signals in humans are loud nose breathing, repeated fist-clenching, and shoulder pumping. Again, signs of dominance, or attempted dominance.

Quite a demonstration of mammalian aggression and territoriality the OP described! I don't know the solution.

Wow...pretty good assessment of the behavior. I am impressed!!

I couldn't find a chair once on the pool deck without a towel, so I took one that looked empty for 15 minutes. Person told me it was saved. I politely told them, I would move, if someone showed up in the next 15 minutes. After that, the chair ownership is relinquished to me. She was kind of dumbfounded, and in the next hour, no one ever showed up and I left for something else.

In a show once, I was told a row of 8 or so chairs was saved. I sat down with my wife, and thanked them for saving such good seats for us. The area was already pretty full. She was a bit angry, but sorry. No saving of seats. (I know if one seat is saved because someone went to the bathroom etc but not a whole row).

...In a show once, I was told a row of 8 or so chairs was saved. I sat down with my wife, and thanked them for saving such good seats for us. The area was already pretty full. She was a bit angry, but sorry. No saving of seats. (I know if one seat is saved because someone went to the bathroom etc but not a whole row).
A few years ago on an RCI ship (I forget which one) a member of the CD staff dressed as an English bobby (policeman) had a mime act. He would walk around the theater carrying a whistle and Violation Pad, watching for seat savers. When someone would be turned away from seats, he come running blowing his whistle, shaking his finger, "write" a ticket, make a big production of seating the people who had been turned away and if there were more seats there, wave incoming people into them. I thought it both funny and effective. Wish that act would come back.

Thom

A few years ago on an RCI ship (I forget which one) a member of the CD staff dressed as an English bobby (policeman) had a mime act. He would walk around the theater carrying a whistle and Violation Pad, watching for seat savers. When someone would be turned away from seats, he come running blowing his whistle, shaking his finger, "write" a ticket, make a big production of seating the people who had been turned away and if there were more seats there, wave incoming people into them. I thought it both funny and effective. Wish that act would come back.

Thom

Wow, wish I could have seen that, I'll bet it was hilarious.:D

The best way to get back at the chair hogs is to beat them at their own game.

I get out to the pool area earlier them and claim 4 chairs by putting my stuff on it.

This way when I come back later, the hogs don't get my loungers.

Works every cruise..

Wait, what?

There are ALWAYS folks who will "Bend" the rules. Here's the thing..if there are loungers available...why do you give a fig if one 2 feet closer to the pool is "toweled"? I mean, really.

If there are NO CHAIRS anywhere...I can see making a stink...otherwise...sit down, and shut up. NO one cares.. Really...

Why dare you think there were loungers available? If someone is circling to find a place to sit and isn't sitting, do you really think that means there are seats available but the circler just wants better ones? Because I jump to the concept of there being no loungers available.

It no loungers in the sun if that's what the person wants or shade if that's what the person wants. I mean, if I'm finding a deck chair, one in the shade had been my choice exactly once. So a shady chair does me no good. (Given that my level of tan was succinctly described by a friend as "oh Molly, you're almost tan!" I'm not in danger of becoming a crocodile) I'm not being picky if I pass on one in the shade.

All that said, there were posted signs all over Adventure last month about saving loungers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thom

OMG!! That is Sooooo cool! I would love to see this being the practice on every

ship! Not just enforcing the rules, but doing it with entertainment for all! :D

Edited by island lady

According to some of the posts on CC it's easy to get the impression that for some people it's kind of a game. The like to play Thwart the Saver and, perhaps that enhances their cruise experience. It could be fun for them.

Those types might just want to get the seats with the towels because it bugs them that there are people saving chairs, even if there are lots of others.

The same may be true for the theater. We often get to the theater half an hour early or so and there are often people saving a few chairs (rarely more than two extra). For example, a couple may be saving chairs for their 2 kids that haven't arrived from the kid's club or another couple saving a couple of seats for the people they met at dinner.

When we get there that early there are rarely so few chairs available that we can't find some elsewhere and it's pretty easy to respect people trying to have a nice night out even if they may not be totally following the rules according to Cruise Ship Hoyle.

If the seats being saved are the only ones available (pool or theater) then that is a different story entirely or course. Someone shouldn't have to stand while someone else is not really using the chairs.

I think most people are not in it for the game and if there are other chairs by the pool or in the theater or buffet or wherever they'll just take the other chairs and pay no mind to those that are saved. Most people on cruises never read anything on CC and are probably don't know that chair hog stalkers are looking for a place to pounce.

We've been lucky. We always seem to find a seat in the theater, maybe not always the best seat in the house, we haven't ever had to stand to get our tan, and we always find a place to sit in the buffet (although on occasion we have to look around a bit).

I think these threads are entertaining to read, but after many cruises, I've never really had a problem so it's difficult to understand it personally. I do wonder, sometimes if the Chair Police aren't just as annoying as the Hogs.

:rolleyes:

Tom

Why dare you think there were loungers available? If someone is circling to find a place to sit and isn't sitting, do you really think that means there are seats available but the circler just wants better ones? Because I jump to the concept of there being no loungers available.

It no loungers in the sun if that's what the person wants or shade if that's what the person wants. I mean, if I'm finding a deck chair, one in the shade had been my choice exactly once. So a shady chair does me no good. (Given that my level of tan was succinctly described by a friend as "oh Molly, you're almost tan!" I'm not in danger of becoming a crocodile) I'm not being picky if I pass on one in the shade.

All that said, there were posted signs all over Adventure last month about saving loungers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember when RCI used to have Cruise Clowns on some ships that were run around the audience making all kinds of fun havoc before the shows. They were sometimes as much fun as the actual shows. They also taught juggling and other tricks during off hours.

It was a lot of fun and made waiting that much more interesting.

Tom

Thom

Not a fan of chair hogs, and on the rare occasion when I need a chair, I've always had RCL staff remove the offending items.

My beef comes with many of the anti-chair hog people. Can't tell you the number of times I've had my stuff moved while I was IN THE POOL! If my shoes, book, towel, coverup, etc are on the lounger, odds are I'm not hogging the chair while having lunch in windjammer...

Why? :confused:

I think by forum rules, I can't tell you why I can't post it. (My interpretation of discussing forum moderation) But at the risk of another bad boy point, you can't post pictures of forum members in a bad light.

I have several good chair hog photos. Its one thing I sometimes to on a cruise to enjoy myself. (feel free to flame) My favorite one is called, "The changing of the chair hog guard. " Its a classic photo, you see the grumpy guy assigned to monitor all their chairs while the guy who had the duty for the last hour walks away.

I think moving a towel is one thing... if you actually move anyone's other items I think that should be considered stealing.

If someone is really desperate for your spot they should ask someone authorized to take action and not become cruise ship vigilante.

Plus, unless they've been standing there for half an hour watching your chair how do they know how long you've been gone?

Tom

Not a fan of chair hogs, and on the rare occasion when I need a chair, I've always had RCL staff remove the offending items.

My beef comes with many of the anti-chair hog people. Can't tell you the number of times I've had my stuff moved while I was IN THE POOL! If my shoes, book, towel, coverup, etc are on the lounger, odds are I'm not hogging the chair while having lunch in windjammer...

According to some of the posts on CC it's easy to get the impression that for some people it's kind of a game. The like to play Thwart the Saver and, perhaps that enhances their cruise experience. It could be fun for them.

Tom

The chair hogs make a game of it and try to follow the rules as well. On my Majesty cruise this past Oct, we planned on spending much of the last sea day by the pool. We got our seats at 8am and pretty much stayed there till around 2pm. A lady showed up and put 4 towels on two chairs next to us.

smarthog.jpg

She would come back every 30 minutes and sit in each chair for about a minute. Then she would smoke a cigarette on the other side of the deck while watching her chair. She would disappear for 30 minutes, almost to the second, and then repeat the process. By noon, or whatever time the Belly floop competition started she had been gone about 45 minutes when she showed up with her husband and remained the rest of the day. Nice couple.

I think by forum rules, I can't tell you why I can't post it. (My interpretation of discussing forum moderation) But at the risk of another bad boy point, you can't post pictures of forum members in a bad light.

I have several good chair hog photos. Its one thing I sometimes to on a cruise to enjoy myself. (feel free to flame) My favorite one is called, "The changing of the chair hog guard. " Its a classic photo, you see the grumpy guy assigned to monitor all their chairs while the guy who had the duty for the last hour walks away.

Interesting, I wasn't aware of that. Given some of the photos I've seen on various CC boards, I guess not all mods apply the rules with the same degree of diligence. :)

Interesting, I wasn't aware of that. Given some of the photos I've seen on various CC boards, I guess not all mods apply the rules with the same degree of diligence. :)

You said it, I didn't :D I won't argue with you though. <This statement is a statment that I won't argue and not an endorsement of said statement ;)

On some ships we enjoyed the show early in the morning, while drinking a

cup of coffee up in the VCL. We were watching the chair hogs slink out of the

shadows with a pile of towels...look around to see if anyone was watching

(could not see us up in the VCL) and then put them all out on 6-8 chairs.

Many of them pick up books in the ship's library (no charge to

them) and put them out on the towels also. As their so called "stuff".

These same towels were still in place, with no one around, over an hour

later when we walked past them to the WJ for breakfast.

:rolleyes:

I know of one very frequent Pinnacle cruiser who loved to pick up those towels

and throw them into the towel bin. He got in trouble, but most of us could

understand why he was doing it. ;)

There would be plenty of seats by the pool, if no one "reserved" them, but just sat in them when they were ready to use them. I don't think most people plan to spend the entire day, in one seat.

It is really strange that the original posters "Chair hogs" found other seats near by, but were still mad that their original seats were now occupied. Were they just looking for trouble?

I have, but its not duty I would want. I have a couple of photos of people saving 8 seats for hours, but I'm not allowed to post them.

deckpatrol.jpg

deckpatrol2.jpg

Can you post them if you blur the faces? I've posted robe pics before. No one ever said anything to me about it.

Occasionally we get to see a little preshow entertainment in the theater. We like to get to the theater early and watch the theater chair hog that is saving a bunch of seats next to each other. Running back and forth trying to stop others that are trying to sit down while trying to see if others from their group have entered the theater.

Yep, this same deal happened on Anthem. I purposely occupied two of his chairs in his entire row he was trying to save; he went ballistic, saying "this entire row is reserved for my family." I flagged down one of the waiters, in turn, some other guy came down and told the theater chair hog he can't reserve seats like that, and if his family wanted the seats, they should've been there with him. So if the chairs aren't occupied, you can sit wherever you want; no one can reserve seats like that unless they're officially marked.

And this is why I would never remove items from a chair even if it was a towel.

I would get a staff member to do it and should the person come back I can say items were removed by staff.

If staff member wouldn't move items I would move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good idea!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I can understand the chair hogs being upset, but it's a little embarrassing for them to lash out when they are clearly in the wrong. You'd think they would slink away a little ashamed of trying to do what they did.

Tom

They're not ashamed in the least. It's their right to claim the chairs since they've paid for a cruise and should be treated like they own the whole ship.

I wonder if these people are just as rude when at home?

Edited by TiiiSailor

Chair hogging, particularly grandmas who come out at 7am and lay out 5+ towels for the family who generally arrive around 11am is without a doubt the most irritating, irresponsible, madding, vile and spoiling action aboard a cruise ship.

We always take our dirty towels with us when we leave. Most don't. Don't know if the chair is actively in use or were the people just too lazy to take their towel to the bin.

If I could afford to sail on a private yacht with my own private pool i would. But since I can't I can vent. It would be so easy for the line to take a more proactive role in controlling the situation but they don't.

Particularly dislike the elderly (I'm one, I mean elderly) who mark off lounges in the spa pool for the day, at 6am, for they family. Regardless of whether they are there, in the cabin sleeping or eating.

It's the me, me first and to hell with everyone else. What are we supposed to do? Lower ourselves to their level and get out there at 5am to mark off our chairs with library books and towels. Or be responsible adults and go out the pool at 10am and take our chances. That means wandering around for an hour waiting for people to leave, I mean leave for the day.

We usually try to find spaces on the highest deck in some cranny behind a stairwell. We get run out there long before the hogs get run out of their "homes"

Maybe we should all picket cruising until the issue is resolved. No one, in any country cruise on any line for at least a year. That will get the message accross. I'll be the second to start just need a partner to be first.

Edited by PoppyandNana