Jumping the ship from NCL to Celebrity

getaway4fun

Greetings to my new Celebrity friends! Platinum+ cruisers with NCL and were less than impressed with our last cruise so we are headed your way. Booking the RS on the Reflection and need Suite tips. We are Haven travelers with NCL, but really need that inside experience for the Suites at Celebrity.

Also, a couple of questions:

1) do the Butlers give you a tour of your suite the first day and explain the perks?

2) is there a designated area around the pool for Suites? Not trying to be snobby, but we are used to the Haven pool and always being able to get a sun lounger.

3) Best restaurant to celebrate my (total foodie) DD's 18th birthday?

4) Any can't miss shows?

Thank you!

We have done 6 NCL cruises and 9 on Celebrity. Only been in a suite once, on Millennium due to an upgrade. We had a great Sky Suite.

I can't answer your specific questions, but can provide these comments.

1) In general, Celebrity excels in dining and its service. The staff just seem to be better trained on Celebrity. MDR food is better on Celebrity and its specialty restaurants are fantastic. NCL's specialty restaurants are also excellent, but X's are a cut above. Celebrity has a restaurant dedicated to people in suites, it is called Luminae and it is great. Service and food quality is tops. Some complain that it only offers three main courses, but if you want something from the MDR they can provide that.

2) Our butler when we had a suite was great. He was always there for us. We didn't use him a lot, since we don't need a lot of hand holding.

3) Our favorite specialty restaurant is Qsine, but it is a bit different from others. I wouldn't suggest it for a birthday unless you have a part of four. Qsine is great with four persons.

Some complain that it only offers three main courses, but if you want something from the MDR they can provide that.

If you ask nicely they will also prepare any specially requested dishes if you give them a days notice or so. And are realistic with the ingredients required.

We're platinum on NCL, as well. All cruises in the Haven. Unfortunately, our last couple of cruises on NCL were not up to par and have also moved on. We've sailed X five times in suites and love it. The RS is our preferred category and has a much larger balcony than most Haven rooms. The only downside is no reserved outside area for suites. We book an Alcove for the entire cruise and it has worked well for us. It provides a guaranteed spot for us to hang out every day without the noise around the pool deck. However, if quick access to the pool is important to you, the Alcoves will not be a good choice. They're located a deck above the pool surrounding the Lawn Club.

I hope you enjoy your cruise. We have found the restaurants and overall feel of X a notch nicer than the Haven on NCL and haven't looked back.

We are platinum on NCL and 2 of our 3 booked cruises are in suites on X. We have sailed exclusively in suites for the past 15 years but are disappointed in the overall NCL experience (dining, etc) and decided the time is now to try X. We have a corner AFT suite for our next 2 cruises and looking forward to it! We also booked Alcove for 2 days

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by watchdiva

You took the words right out of my mouth by suggesting MSC'S Yacht Club :)

I'd take a quick peek at MSC's yacht club as well. All but one of my trips have been on X, love them, never had a complaint. Booked MSC because of the Seaside, wanted to try something new, and only afterwards saw the yacht club perks. It doesn't work for us now, but if our trip goes well, we'll most likely be upgrading into that area for subsequent trips. Have yet to see anything negative written about it. Which is....odd considering these waters.

Edited by Cuervosar

I'd take a quick peek at MSC's yacht club as well. All but one of my trips have been on X, love them, never had a complaint. Booked MSC because of the Seaside, wanted to try something new, and only afterwards saw the yacht club perks. It doesn't work for us now, but if our trip goes well, we'll most likely be upgrading into that area for subsequent trips. Have yet to see anything negative written about it. Which is....odd considering these waters.

I am sooooo looking forward to it also. Everyone RAVES about the Yacht Club and love that they do the "Status Match" and all the perks. The Seaside looks INSANE.:):):) Oh, and by the way.....LOVE your signature. All of the "tragic" cruises you have survived. You forgot the Princess cruise though. The one that caught on fire!!!!

Edited by champagne123
ssssss

I am sooooo looking forward to it also. Everyone RAVES about the Yacht Club and love that they do the "Status Match" and all the perks. The Seaside looks INSANE.:):):) Oh, and by the way.....LOVE your signature. All of the "tragic" cruises you have survived. You forgot the Princess cruise though. The one that caught on fire!!!!

Sadly, I haven't tried Princess yet. Did grab an aft balcony suite on Seaside though.

I hope you enjoy the Celebrity suite experience. This past fall we spent 30+ nights in a suite on the Solstice and felt very pampered indeed.

But regarding the DD's birthday dinner the specialty restaurant menus are available in several locations on the ship, including in Michael's Club. She may find one menu particularly appealing.

You took the words right out of my mouth by suggesting MSC'S Yacht Club :)

We've also been eyeing MSC Yacht Club. The price to value ratio seems very attractive, but I fear by time we can clear dates for our next cruise the secret will get out and that pricing thing will change.

If you ask nicely they will also prepare any specially requested dishes if you give them a days notice or so. And are realistic with the ingredients required.

When we dined in Luminae, we were always pleased to select items on the menu and never asked for a special dish.

However, I suspect that they would try to please if you had a special request.

When you embark your butler will sit down with you and explain his services and take any special requests. Ours were small (water in the room each day, down pillows, coffee service at 7 am). He will get menus for you as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you all for answering our numerous questions. Your thoughtfulness makes our experiences so much better, I appreciate it!

We have an aft suite booked in April and I have a question about Coco Cay. Is there a seperate area for suite guests? Should we book a cabana/bungalow or do these or loungers come in the suite area if there is one?

Thank you!

We have done 6 NCL cruises and 9 on Celebrity. Only been in a suite once, on Millennium due to an upgrade. We had a great Sky Suite.

I can't answer your specific questions, but can provide these comments.

1) In general, Celebrity excels in dining and its service. The staff just seem to be better trained on Celebrity. MDR food is better on Celebrity and its specialty restaurants are fantastic. NCL's specialty restaurants are also excellent, but X's are a cut above. Celebrity has a restaurant dedicated to people in suites, it is called Luminae and it is great. Service and food quality is tops. Some complain that it only offers three main courses, but if you want something from the MDR they can provide that.

2) Our butler when we had a suite was great. He was always there for us. We didn't use him a lot, since we don't need a lot of hand holding.

3) Our favorite specialty restaurant is Qsine, but it is a bit different from others. I wouldn't suggest it for a birthday unless you have a part of four. Qsine is great with four persons.

Thanks for the info! :)

Thank you all for answering our numerous questions. Your thoughtfulness makes our experiences so much better, I appreciate it!

We have an aft suite booked in April and I have a question about Coco Cay. Is there a seperate area for suite guests? Should we book a cabana/bungalow or do these or loungers come in the suite area if there is one?

Thank you!

There is indeed a suite area at CocoCay. You can also reserve a cabana but it is not necessary to reserve one to access the area. You will have a separate buffet and bar area as well. The staff from Luminae tend to the food/buffet.

There are plenty of loungers in the area. The cabanas have 2 loungers, a couch, bottle of sparkling wine, waters and a fruit plate.

I think the cabana was $200.00 but I am not 100% sure, this was for our cruise in December 2015.