Akjaroa asking for help as Cruising Tourists overwhelm the town

No they are not.

The so called cream is being swooped up by out of town operators , leaving the locals to build and pay for all the overheads of operating year round.

A lot of café owners and other retailers have done well out of the ship visits though David. They will not be happy little Vegemites if and when, ship visits resume at Littleton.

Why would the locals have to build and pay for infrastucture connected to ship visits ? A Local government/Tourism NZ issue, surely.

Edited by NSWP

A lot of café owners and other retailers have done well out of the ship visits though David. They will not be happy little Vegemites if and when, ship visits resume at Littleton.

Why would the locals have to build and pay for infrastucture connected to ship visits ? A Local government/Tourism NZ issue, surely.

This is precisely the issue the locals are making. Whilst the local operators are enjoying the benefits that are accruing from ship visits it is also taking its toll.

Akaroa is very much a lifestyle village which is not getting the necessary support from big brother.

Akaroa is very much a lifestyle village which is not getting the necessary support from big brother.

A serious downside to major council amalgamations is that smaller areas like Akaroa are no longer in control of managing their own resources and expenditure for such things.

I wonder if Timaru could handle the smaller ships? That would be a great location for day trips to Aoraki / Mt Cook.

Maasdam is visiting Timaru tomorrow (Monday).

A few years ago our Travel Agent invited us to visit the Statendam when she called at Timaru, were given lunch in the Main Dining room and a look around the ship.

I wonder if Timaru could handle the smaller ships? That would be a great location for day trips to Aoraki / Mt Cook.

They do use Timaru. So far this year Seabourne Encore and Europa 2 have called. Tomorrow 23 Jan , Maasdam will call . She was due to call at Akaroa but Golden Princess and Legend of the Seas will be there so Maasdam will visit Timaru.

That will be fun..:D:D

Unfortunately there is a trend for bigger and bigger ships and over time I see the smaller ships disappearing unless they become very much bespoke and thus very expensive catering to a high end market. Already we have New Zealand's largest city unable to cope with the new super cruise liners

Personally I think the cruise lines are being irresponsible bringing ships the size of Ovation of the Seas down to our region - and expecting the ports to cater for them with relatively short notice.

Many ports that are lovely to visit with 2000-2500 passengers would become horribly overcrowded with 4000-5000 passengers going ashore.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Unfortunately there is a trend for bigger and bigger ships and over time I see the smaller ships disappearing unless they become very much bespoke and thus very expensive catering to a high end market. Already we have New Zealand's largest city unable to cope with the new super cruise liners

It certainly is an issue, I think Auckland should get that dolphin in before the next season starts or the Ovation will not be back for the 2018-19 season.:(

It certainly is an issue, I think Auckland should get that dolphin in before the next season starts or the Ovation will not be back for the 2018-19 season.:(

That sounds like a very good reason for Auckland not to put the dolphin in. :p :eek: :D

The issue is that the ports do not improve, Royal may stop sending ships, then X may follow and next thing you know, all you have is P&O again.:(

Ah but Princess are more likely to move more of the Grand class ships down here rather than give us the new Royal class ships.

We might get one of the Asian market ones in their off-season. I suspect that at least one of the new builds will go to the Caribbean and one of the Grand class currently serving that region will come down here. And of course they could use one for Alaska cruises then send it down here in that off-season.

Anyway they are only 3500+ pax against Ovation's 4180+ pax.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

We might get one of the Asian market ones in their off-season. I suspect that at least one of the new builds will go to the Caribbean and one of the Grand class currently serving that region will come down here. And of course they could use one for Alaska cruises then send it down here in that off-season.

Anyway they are only 3500+ pax against Ovation's 4180+ pax.

That may happen but I can see them going back to the Caribbean and Europe instead.

I don't see much likelihood of Ovation going anywhere else, while it's based in China.

It suits the cruise line to boost revenue much more here over their Winter/our Summer. And there aren't any other better suited locations to deploy for that scenario.

That may happen but I can see them going back to the Caribbean and Europe instead.

The European season is opposite to ours so I doubt that ships doing Asia or Alaska would go there, but the Caribbean is the same which is why I think we'll get another Grand class ship.

I don't see much likelihood of Ovation going anywhere else, while it's based in China.

It suits the cruise line to boost revenue much more here over their Winter/our Summer. And there aren't any other better suited locations to deploy for that scenario.

One would be Asia to USA for Pacific coastal returns to Mexico, etc.:D

The European season is opposite to ours so I doubt that ships doing Asia or Alaska would go there, but the Caribbean is the same which is why I think we'll get another Grand class ship.

Southern Asia (summer) and Northern Asia (our winter).

Southern Asia (summer) and Northern Asia (our winter).

Actually to be more accurate - Southern Asia it really doesn't matter except that November thru February might be slightly wetter. :p :D

Almost all of Asia, except for a good part of Indonesia, is Northern hemisphere.

Actually to be more accurate - Southern Asia it really doesn't matter except that November thru February might be slightly wetter. :p :D

Almost all of Asia, except for a good part of Indonesia, is Northern hemisphere.

But they can cruise year round there (Singapore/ Thailand/Malaysia/ Indonesia/Philippines) if they wish.

But they can cruise year round there (Singapore/ Thailand/Malaysia/ Indonesia/Philippines) if they wish.

Yes, that's what I meant by "it really doesn't matter except that November thru February might be slightly wetter".

However the main Asian markets are out of China and Japan and itineraries for those regions would be too cold in winter.

Yes, that's what I meant by "it really doesn't matter except that November thru February might be slightly wetter".

However the main Asian markets are out of China and Japan and itineraries for those regions would be too cold in winter.

There winter not ours.:D