Another new ship for HAL

richwmn

Just curious: Why are Ryndam and Statendam still with Holland America given the earlier plans (below)?

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/11114-ryndam-and-statendam-to-pao-australia-as-au-growth-for-carnival-corp-continues.html

Ryndam and Statendam DID go to P&O a year or two ago. The only S class ships left with HAL are the Maasdam and Veendam.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

Originally Posted by bUU viewpost.gif

It seems to me that the difference between Signature and Pinnacle is pretty minor. What am I missing about Signature?

There is a huge difference between Signature and Pinnacle. It's not what Signature has, but what Pinnacle has. Personally, I greatly dislike the Signature class ships. The flow on the deck with the shops is a major choke point, the Queens Lounge/Culinary Arts Center/Nighttime entertainment venue is too small. How they do cooking in there is beyond me. On the K'dam there is a totally separate space for that where the cooking classes have many stations with only 2 people per; a huge improvement over everyone huddled around a couple of burners. In the evenings they have a dinner with wine included ($ fee). K'Dam has many public areas to find a quiet spot during the day to read/relax whereas the Sig class doesn't (library is the exception). The few rooms that they have are taken up by sales or the (scam) art auctions.

The main things I don't like about the K'dam (Pinnacle class) is the lack of Promenade with no lounge chairs and that there is no library (this is being addressed). Big issues for many, for sure, me included. The 2 deck pool area on the K'dam is actually pretty nice! The movie screen wasn't as bad as I feared; it wasn't really intrusive during the day and at nite (10PM movie specifically), it was very pleasant to lie out there and watch a movie.

I hope this helps; I feel like I've rambled a bit with my comments....

Linda R.

Thank you for posting the link to the Cruise Critic article! We do our best to cover all the news so it's always great to see members paying attention to it. Staff on our editorial team rotate cruise line "beats" so we can familiarize ourselves better with as many cruise lines as possible, and I'm currently covering HAL for the beginning of 2017. I don't have any other details, but what I can tell you is I'm attending a press event in NY during the second week of February and hoping there will be some fun announcements to share!

~Brittany Chrusciel, Associate Editor, Cruise Critic

Fingers crossed for some exciting updates in February. Thanks!

Ryndam and Statendam DID go to P&O a year or two ago. The only S class ships left with HAL are the Maasdam and Veendam.
Sorry... all these dams get confusing sometimes. :)

There is a huge difference between Signature and Pinnacle. It's not what Signature has, but what Pinnacle has.
Well, I figured that, but I was wondering what Pinnacle was missing that one would prefer Signature (other than the Promenade).

278 cabins, 640 max pax. Grand Dutch Cafe, Sel de Mer, two-level Lido pool area and Queen's Lounge, dedicated Culinary Arts Center separate from Queen's Lounge, Gelato, New York Deli, family and single cabins, World Stage in-the-round, movies at Lido pool, modern art, art gallery ...

Wider... longer... :)

Adios last two "S" class; Maasdam and Veendam

:(. I've sailed on the Ryndam, Maasdam and Veendam. And anchored next to the Statendam once off Cabo, but never sailed on her. Really nice ships, not too big or too small. They'll be missed.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

Not so quick - all 4 R class ships can easily take over any itineraries offered by Maasdam/Veendam.

They might be too long in some cases, such as the Front Street pier in Hamilton Bermuda that the Veendam uses.

With Nieuw Statendam debuting in November 2018, any guesses on when she would first cross the pond? First winter in Caribbean or Med?
I thought I read rumors that the N.S. would be heading to the Asia market, not to Caribbean. Edited by catl331

They might be too long in some cases, such as the Front Street pier in Hamilton Bermuda that the Veendam uses.

I thought I read rumors that the N.S. would be heading to the Asia market, not to Caribbean.

Quote;

Cruise itinerary program

There are some speculations about the Holland America Line's newest cruise ship ms Nieuw Statendam to be deployed for round-trip itineraries in the world's booming cruise travel destinations - Australia and Asia. If true, considering the vessel's size and capacity, its home-ports will be most probably Sydney Australia (during winter) and either Hong Kong, Tianjin-Beijing or Shanghai (during summer). In such a case, the spring-fall reposition route will be via Indonesia and Singapore.

UnQuote.

http://www.cruisemapper.com/ships/ms-Nieuw-Statendam-1337

I did some research and you are correct, due to the size channel into Hamilton harbor the the largest vessel permitted in would be 720' in length, and the Veendam is the largest HAL ship possible at 719'. The R class at 777' would not be allowed, even though the wharf itself could handle a vessel of that length.

So yes, losing the Veendam and Maasdam could put Bermuda in jeopardy unless A) the Hamilton harbor is modified, or B) they build additional dock space at Kings Wharf - which is already overcrowded and difficult to get to/from as it's so far from everything else on the island (in relative terms).

Just in jest, but what happens when all of the "Nieuw _______" ships are ready to be retired? Do we then have "Nieuw Nieuw_______"? [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Fortunately, just like in the English language, having new and newer;

in Dutch we have “Nieuw”, followed by “Nieuwer” and then “Nieuwst”, so I think there is some room there to build some more, it would be something like "Nieuwere Amsterdam" and "Nieuwste Amsterdam" :D:D:D

By then there'll be a nostalgia kick, and that'll prompt use of the heritage names. :)

Seriously, "Nieuw Amsterdam" made sense: It was a real place, and at the time it was named such was held by the Dutch. "Nieuw" Statendam doesn't. The should have named the ship Staaten Eylandt, instead, imho.

Fortunately, just like in the English language, having new and newer;

in Dutch we have “Nieuw”, followed by “Nieuwer” and then “Nieuwst”, so I think there is some room there to build some more, it would be something like "Nieuwere Amsterdam" and "Nieuwste Amsterdam" :D:D:D

And then they can add "ms Aller Nieuwste Amsterdam" - Most newest A'dam ;)

Seriously, "Nieuw Amsterdam" made sense: It was a real place, and at the time it was named such was held by the Dutch.
Most people don't realize this, even when they see the NYC-themed decor all over the ship - the atrium chandelier, the photos, the Yellow Cab in Club HAL, the Big Apple near one of the elevators, etc, etc!

Edited by jtl513

I recall that on a stairwell of the most recent Ryndam (built 1994), there was a painting of the Ryndam II from 1951. So I guess enough time elapsed that they decided not to go with Ryndam III for the '94 ship.

I'm not a big fan of adding Nieuw in front of former ship names for newbuilds. It seems cumbersome to me. I would just reuse the names again. But then I'm not in charge at HAL :).

Just off the Koningsdam and the captain said that the Nieuw Statendam will have a library and that the Koningsdam will be refigured with a library as well. Hope that info is correct. Bob

Did he say what will be eliminated to add the library to the K-dam? I hope they don't combine it with an internet lounge or cafe and call it a library.