Just did a face palm when I read this article.

Carleeb12

I am going to the same ports on my cruise. We're going to see ruins in Belize and for Roatan, there is an absolutely stunning beach that is walking distance from the ship (or if you don't want to walk, you can use the sky chairs). There are tons of YouTube videos of these ports where cruisers seem to be enjoying themselves pretty well. I'm staying on the ship in Cozumel while my husband and his sister go on an ATV excursion. I plan on enjoying my alone time on a less crowded ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just cruised in December to these two ports plus Cozumel. It was great! In Belize we visited the Altun Ha ruins, and in Roatan we had a private tour of the island, plus a visit to a monkey and sloth sanctuary....we were able to hold a sloth, and a very energetic group of monkeys!

The ports are beautiful, and we wouldn't hesitate to return. I think these rankings of "best" and "worst" are entirely subjective. If you go with an open mind, determined to enjoy yourself and not look for fault, you will have a good time.

We did cave tubing in Belize and an island tour in Roatan. Both were Carnival excursions--we felt more comfortable with that since it was our first time in either port.

We totally enjoyed both ports, and look forward to visiting them again.

2 of the 3 ports on my upcoming Western Caribbean cruise are included as some the worst cruise ports to visit. Belize and Roatan. Dang.

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/style/the-worst-caribbean-cruise-ports-of-call-104735967252.html

Best and worst is subjective. My upcoming cruise includes those ports. It will be my third time in a row with the same itinerary because we like them that much 6th time to Cozumel. Everyehere you go is what you make it be optimistic.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

If you look at everything these ports are good for, it's snorkeling, ruins, cave-tubing, etc. And they are "bad" for shopping, walking around, and restaurants.

IMO, if you're cruising to go shopping at the same-old, same-old cruise port shops and local competitors for jewelry, watches, electronics and tees, you're not cruising!

Glad to see the Bahaman and Jamaican ports on the list, though.

I agree with Belize City and the Bahamas but I loved Routan. The island itself is really beautiful. We had a long bus ride to our excursion and the view from the top of the mountain is what people think of when they say paradise. The beaches are also amazing.

Been there done that so many times for Freeport and Nassau.

Belize City was just sad. So much poverty. Most houses were just 4 pieces of sheet metal and a roof.

The article was seriously flawed journalism.

A six year old can write something that says that so and so says this or that.

The same six year old has no actual experience and cannot speak to first person opinions.

What I have difficulty with is that someone is getting a paycheck to copy/paste this drivel.

Crime can happen anywhere, a few years ago I recall a story I believe out of St. Thomas where a family (Carnival cruise passengers) were at a beach (Coki I believe) and the 14 year old daughter was shot (wrong place at the wrong time kind of thing) and killed in in the crossfire of a drug deal gone bad.

Can happen anywhere at any time!

Edited by Drazil65

We did a catermeran / snorkeling thing in Roatan my wife loved it, I am not a snorkeler. Then we did a really long but fantastic ruins tour in Belize, it was about 8 hours long, bus then river boat to the ruins and back again, the boat was fun saw lots of wildlife. Long ass day though, pretty tired after that tour.

Did caving and rappelling excursion in Belize a few years ago. It was the best excursion I have done. Have been to Belize on land trips as well, and it is a great trip. If crime is the issue, I'm more nervous about many US locations than any cruiseport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

2 of the 3 ports on my upcoming Western Caribbean cruise are included as some the worst cruise ports to visit. Belize and Roatan. Dang.

Neither are my favorite although we enjoyed cave tubing in Belize. We had a mis-adventure in Roatan which we will always remember.

There are good & bad points to almost everything.

If it's that bad, enjoy the ship's amenities while they are less crowded.

When my son said he was taking his family (wife and 2 kids 7 & 5) to Belize this winter for vacation I asked him about the crime and he said it was a very inflated and skewed statistic - largely involving gangs and isolated to specific areas Belize City tourists do not go to. All the resorts and and tourist activities are well away and very safe. Not a lot different from Chicago or many large US cities.