How Does Moderno Compare?

sport303

For anyone who has tried Moderno on NCL, how do you feel it compare to any Brazilian steakhouses you've been to on land (Fogo de Chao, Chama Gaucha, Texas de Brazil, Chima, Rodizio, et.)? We're thinking about making some reservations or buying a SDP to include Moderno, but I'm a little hesitant if it's not on par with the churrascarias back home.

For anyone who has tried Moderno on NCL, how do you feel it compare to any Brazilian steakhouses you've been to on land (Fogo de Chao, Chama Gaucha, Texas de Brazil, Chima, Rodizio, et.)? We're thinking about making some reservations or buying a SDP to include Moderno, but I'm a little hesitant if it's not on par with the churrascarias back home.

I thought everything was excellent and comparable to a Brazilian steakhouse on land. The only difference was they give you the green and red button but each item only comes around once. If you want something again, you have to grab them as they go by.

If you are used to "real" rodizios, Moderno is a fair to poor alternative. If you have never been to one, you won't know any better and find it very good. If rodizio is one of your favorite types of restaurants, you will probably want to skip moderno and just have rodizio where you like to. That being said, on Breakaway if I had to choose something other than Cagney's, I would pick moderno because we really disliked Le Bistro and La Cucina and have enough real hibachi restaurants here that we wouldn't bother with teppanaki.

I thought everything was excellent and comparable to a Brazilian steakhouse on land. The only difference was they give you the green and red button but each item only comes around once. If you want something again, you have to grab them as they go by.

Odd, when we ate on the Escape, a side glance would get them to come back. I am a big lamb guy, and they are usually stingy with that, but they were good. I am Portuguese and Brazilian. I have eaten at quite a few of these places on land in the northeast and the mid-atlantic states. Moderno is on par, you will enjoy it. Although, there is no feijoada on the bar, just so you know.

The chowder is very good. The salad bar really good. So you could be well fed before you even get to the meat section.

We always ask them to leave a menu on the table so we can decide what we want next and what we don't want.

Then just ask for what you fancy, it is uncommon to wait too long even if they had served it a little before you ask; especially if they are busy as they have everything on the go.

There are a couple of fish dishes you should order when you start.

Not my favourite restaurant but we tend to go once a 20 day voyage.

We had it on the STAR over in Europe and then again on the JEWEL out of LA.

The STAR was good. Fresh salad bar and okay meats. Some much better than others.

The JEWEL was not so good. Salad was not as fresh. Wasn't bad but rather just lacked the freshness like it had been set once earlier in the night and not refreshed. The meats were not as good as the STAR.

Over all its no way comparable to a land based Churrascaria. Much less to choose from, meats are not as good, salad bar is good but not over the top like most land based restaurants.

One thing we have found is it is different ship to ship so the Epic may have a way better modernos than NCL JEWEL.

-Sean

Fogo de Chao was the first churrascaria in the US and we live near their flagship restaurant, so we are spoiled. The Pao de Queijo is not as good, the meats are not as good - remember Fogo de Chao is actually cooking over an open flame in the traditional way with charcoal or sometimes wood and you can't do that on a cruise ship so the flavor is just not the same at all! The cruise ships rely on rubs to impart flavor but without smoke, you cannot make the meat taste the same as on land churrascarias. It's just not possible. The salad bar is good but not as good as Fogo de Chao. That said, compared to the churrascaria on RCCL ships, Moderno is the better of these. However, I mostly preferred the fillet mignon of the meats and so, I just ate that and skipped the other ones.

Of the specialty restaurants, we like Le Bistro best - it is a fairly good representation of classic French cooking that has been Americanized, then Raw Bar, Ocean Blue, Cagney's, Sushi, then Moderno, Teppanyaki and we liked La Cucina least of all.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

It's okay. Just okay. We've done it on NCL 3 times, which is much less than we've done the other specialties. We've visited several of the mentioned chains on land, and we like each of them better than Moderno. The salad bar on Moderno is much, much smaller than any I've seen on land. I do like that they have lamb, which we don't see at most on land.

My experience was on the Jade and I thought the salad bar looked pretty sad and none of the meats were anything to write home about. I was unimpressed. Maybe it is better on some of the bigger ships but the placement of the restaurant on the Jade seemed like an afterthought crammed into the space. I would not go back, at least not on this ship.

My experience was on the Jade and I thought the salad bar looked pretty sad and none of the meats were anything to write home about. I was unimpressed. Maybe it is better on some of the bigger ships but the placement of the restaurant on the Jade seemed like an afterthought crammed into the space. I would not go back, at least not on this ship.
Moderno will most likely be moved up to Deck 13 (where the Star Bar is currently) during the upcoming drydock.

I am far from an expert but spent a week in Sao Paulo Brazil . Almost all my lunches and dinners were at Charabusco style restaraunts. Moderno did not did not even come close to the real thing. Most of the meats were a little salty. The salad bar was pretty good but they did not have hard boiled Quail eggs like they did in Brazil.

This was on the Dawn last March. I would not go back.

The chowder is very good. The salad bar really good. So you could be well fed before you even get to the meat section.

We always ask them to leave a menu on the table so we can decide what we want next and what we don't want.

Then just ask for what you fancy, it is uncommon to wait too long even if they had served it a little before you ask; especially if they are busy as they have everything on the go.

There are a couple of fish dishes you should order when you start.

Not my favourite restaurant but we tend to go once a 20 day voyage.

What kind of fish dishes?