What to Wear Brochure in Cabin

Billthekid

We do the same. Carry on only because we travel for extended periods, many modes. Absolutely no room and no desire to pack items that do not earn their way into our bag.

Our cruise departs in five days. So far the pre cruise has been air, local air, ferry,rental car, bus. Prior to departing another short return flight to Iguazu. Post cruise will be four weeks of the same.

Why on earth would we pack/carry clothes that we may wear for three nights, a few hours each time. The MDR is very nice, the place settings perfect, the ambiance fine. But......the food has become the weak link. Often it is of the rubber chicken banquet variety. Besides, we now only pack and carry what we can each physically handle. This in itself limits what we pack.

Times change

Used to be that people dressed up to fly. Now we have people boarding planes with pajama bottoms and slippers.

I grew up going to church wearing your "Sunday Best". That isn't the case anymore in many places of worship.

Most cruiselines recognize that and have made dress codes more casual - but a baseball cap in the MDR is taking it a bit too far in my opinion

But I'm with those that (try) to not let it bother me. Its not my job to enforce rules - I'm on vacation!

Edited by Herfnerd

During our recent Maasdam cruise, casually dressed men wearing baseball caps on Gala Nights, appeared to be acceptable.(In the Main Dining Room)

The man in the baseball cap may have been allowed to wear it in the MDR, but baseball caps (or any other kind of hat) are never "acceptable" when worn indoors.

The MDR is very nice, the place settings perfect, the ambiance fine. But......the food has become the weak link. Often it is of the rubber chicken banquet variety. ......

Respectfully disagreeing. There have been many very tasty, new and inventive offerings in the MDR. Yes, it is "banquet" due to the sheer size of offerings and operation, but it is definitely not "rubber chicken" banquet food.

Many more international offerings, interesting sides, excellent vegetarian and the always reliable large dinner salads. Plus one can make a very interesting lighter meal out of large array of small bite appetizers and soups.

Edited by OlsSalt

I truly see both sides of this argument.

First of all, I'm 45, and I live in San Francisco - the city that invented billionaires in hoodies. Sometimes, I'm horrified when I go out for a fancy dinner, and see people wearing torn jeans. It seems disrespectful to the other diners.

In 2010, my family did a Baltic cruise with Disney -- very fancy, lots of clothes. It was hard to pack for that trip, but we went all-out. One member of my family got visibly upset when he would see a man *not* wearing a suit and tie. This made for a very uncomfortable dinner for the rest of us. So - please - if you are upset at the sight of baseball hats, do try to keep it contained, for the sake of your well-dressed family.

I also went all-out on a Cunard crossing in 2015, so I do understand the fun of wearing a gown on a ship. But...ugh...in two weeks, I'm boarding a HA, 15 day round-trip San Diego to Hawaii. First of all: Hawaii is simply not formal. I think people get married in shorts and aloha shirts. Second, we're on the cruise with a knitting group. I have to pack practically an entire suitcase of knitting supplies. The itinerary has three Gala nights, and I've been beside myself trying to pack.

No baseball hats for me. But my Gala outfits will be far less sparkly than I would usually pack. Dresses, yes, but those packable dresses. I'll be that person swapping out a necklace and hoping nobody sneers at me for wearing the same thing twice.

Can we live and let live, and not pretend this is the Golden Globes? My entire professional career does not hinge on "who I'm wearing", and you are not Joan Rivers (God rest her soul.)

Not sure why many still think "dressing up a bit" today requires uncomfortable clothes or unpackable, suitcase-hogging items. Simply not true. Just the opposite, with today's comfortable and easy pack fabrics. Even lightweight dinner jackets for men.

If people don't want to "dress up", fine. But why make excuses that simply don't sound in fact?

What @Strath said. We travel carry-on only. We also eat in the Lido on Gala nights, not to ruin anyone's ambience!

I'm a carry-on traveler, too. I do not eat in the MDR on formal/gala/whatever you want to call it night. But, I do not eat there because I do not buy into the faux-formal "code" for a 2 hour period of time. It's the same old MDR with the same old food - calling one night "formal" does not change it for me. If someone wants to dress up in a tux/suit/jacket or ballgown/maxi/pants&sparkly top, go for it. I'll be showered, wearing clean, unwrinkled pants and a shirt or my LBTD (Little Black T-shirt Dress), and having a nice meal elsewhere.

Edited to add: even if I took a steamer trunk with me, I would not want to bring "formal/gala" clothes. I never buy cruise-specific clothes; I wear what I own. Since I never attend anything in my town that requires formal/gala clothes, I don't have the need to own any of such wear.

Edited by slidergirl

Not sure why many still think "dressing up a bit" today requires uncomfortable clothes or unpackable, suitcase-hogging items. Simply not true. Just the opposite, with today's comfortable and easy pack fabrics. Even lightweight dinner jackets for men.

If people don't want to "dress up", fine. But why make excuses that simply don't sound in fact?

I don't want to "dress up a bit".

Wearing something I don't want too makes me uncomfortable.

Therefore, all dressy clothes are uncomfortable.

I'm a carry-on traveler, too. I do not eat in the MDR on formal/gala/whatever you want to call it night. But, I do not eat there because I do not buy into the faux-formal "code" for a 2 hour period of time. It's the same old MDR with the same old food - calling one night "formal" does not change it for me. If someone wants to dress up in a tux/suit/jacket or ballgown/maxi/pants&sparkly top, go for it. I'll be showered, wearing clean, unwrinkled pants and a shirt or my LBTD (Little Black T-shirt Dress), and having a nice meal elsewhere.

Edited to add: even if I took a steamer trunk with me, I would not want to bring "formal/gala" clothes. I never buy cruise-specific clothes; I wear what I own. Since I never attend anything in my town that requires formal/gala clothes, I don't have the need to own any of such wear.

Okay.

I agree. They do have international offerings and the salads are good.

But that does not mean that the international offerings are prepared well or prepared with say, restaurant grade beef. At least not in our experience or to our taste. It is a very long stretch to call this fine dining or even hotel cuisine. It just is not so why pretend that it is.

As long as the salad dressing is on the side the salads are good.

Edited by iancal

As long as this has become a "dress up" thread, I had to laugh about the reminder sent to all residents in the Active Retirement Community where my Dad lives. (The community was modeled on shipboard life: no kidding. They have all the amenities including a spa and gym, trivia, bingo, regular entertainment in a the theatre, "gala" nights (not what they call them) with high ticket foods, an MDR with full menu (home style and fancy), orchids on tablecloths, specialty restaurant, etc.)

Anyway, the reminder was the dress code: no shorts at night, no jeans, no cargo pants, no tee shirts, no caps, no camo (unless on active duty). The reminder was for residents and guests...... the mean age is 80's.

I agree. They do have international offerings and the salads are good.

But that does not mean that the international offerings are prepared well or prepared with say, restaurant grade beef. At least not in our experience or to our taste. It is a very long stretch to call this fine dining or even hotel cuisine. It just is not so why pretend that it is.

As long as the salad dressing is on the side the salads are good.

Not sure anyone has ever called MDR "fine dining", but I will say it compared to a good hotel's banquet food. Agree, the meat is not always its best though one cruise we had the best lamb ever. I would describe "fine dining" as more individual preparation so that eliminates just about any large ship.

For the record, there is not even "fine dining" on Crystal - just more fuss in the presentation. These are all mass meal preparation operations - 24 7 and for the 24/7 crews as well. It still amazes me what can come out of any ship's kitchens is as good, speedy and creative as it is.

Not sure anyone has ever called MDR "fine dining", but I will say it compared to a good hotel's banquet food. Agree, the meat is not always its best though one cruise we had the best lamb ever. I would describe "fine dining" as more individual preparation so that eliminates just about any large ship.

For the record, there is not even "fine dining" on Crystal - just more fuss in the presentation. These are all mass meal preparation operations - 24 7 and for the 24/7 crews as well. It still amazes me what can come out of any ship's kitchens is as good, speedy and creative as it is.

We wonder sometimes if we'd not be just as pleased to have a delivery week instead of a cruise. Just call a delivery service to bring us our food every day for a week. Probably better food and cheaper.

As long as this has become a "dress up" thread, I had to laugh about the reminder sent to all residents in the Active Retirement Community where my Dad lives. (The community was modeled on shipboard life: no kidding. They have all the amenities including a spa and gym, trivia, bingo, regular entertainment in a the theatre, "gala" nights (not what they call them) with high ticket foods, an MDR with full menu (home style and fancy), orchids on tablecloths, specialty restaurant, etc.)

Anyway, the reminder was the dress code: no shorts at night, no jeans, no cargo pants, no tee shirts, no caps, no camo (unless on active duty). The reminder was for residents and guests...... the mean age is 80's.

When my mother was in a similar residence, but at that point not quite operating on all cylinders, she used to inquire several times a day, "What ship are we on?"

They should have been happy that most of the men remembered to wear pants.

I've often said to myself, "Self, if only there were an in-room brochure telling me how to dress." Imagine the convenience! I can hardly wait for the light up cutlery that blinks to let you know which fork or knife to use. A laminated placard that explains that the butter goes from the butter dish to the bread plate and not directly onto the bread would be cool, too.

...And that the bread dish goes to the left and the drinking goblet to the right....

Scott & Karen

We feel that there has been an ever increasing disparity between the place settings, fine china, ambiance and the food that is served. The other mass market lines have all gone this way or seem to be in the process. The pretense is disappearing between the decline in MDR's and the demand for casual dining.

Bottom line....if you were at home and could select from many restaurant choices.would this really be a dining venue that you would select?

Edited by iancal

They should have been happy that most of the men remembered to wear pants.

No problems in that department.

The community as a whole is pretty amazing. I have to make sure I'm on my game when I go, and I still have a hard time staying up with that group.

No problems in that department.

The community as a whole is pretty amazing. I have to make sure I'm on my game when I go, and I still have a hard time staying up with that group.

That's fortunate. When my father was in assisted living, about 80% were female. Only about 20% of the men could carry on a conversation. They had fixed seating for meals and ensured that each table would have at least one man who could carry a conversation. Dad was seated at a table with one other man (who could not) and six women. The women would fight over Dad.

I was there one time and a woman offered Dad her dessert. Two other women jumped her insisting that it was their term to give Dad their desserts. My Dad loved it.

Just some comments here....My husband and I have taken up cruising again after 20+ years!! In those days we cruised with several couples beginning on the NORWAY!!! Our cabin was super tiny and if you weren't careful, once you slipped out of your bed, you could have very easily tripped on the ledge into the teeny bathroom! LOL!!! Our group eventually booked cruises whereas the ships were a bit more luxurious and the cabins a bit bigger (several Princess ships).

Anyway, in those days not only were the "Gala Nights" very, very formal (all tuxes for the guys-brought along both black tuxes and white tuxes) and beaded, glittery very formal gowns for us ladies but we also had the theme dinners ("Sixties Night"; "Western Night") of which you were required to dress for the theme. I found all of this a bit of a pain although once we were there and participating, it was alot of fun!! I doubt (but it's possible) that many cruise lines have "theme nights" anymore.

Now we are retired and have, as of Sept. 2015, jumped back into cruising on HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam's trip from Venice to Dubrovnik, Kotor, Corfu, Sorrento, Rome, Florence, Monte Carlo, St. Tropez and Barcelona. We had HORRIBLE storms and weren't able to get into port at about three of the ports/cities I was MOST looking forward to. On that cruise we discovered "Gala Night" had become alot less "gala" than what we had experienced years ago. People still dressed very nicely but just a little less of the pizzazzz which is fine.

On our cruise on the Royal Princess in Feb., 2016, "Gala Night" was even MORE casual. There were a few, older couples who really came dressed to the 'nines' in tuxes and long, formal gowns and actually,....I felt a bit sorry for them because the majority of the guests were dressed in much more casual clothes (we dressed not quite formal but alot more dressy than the majority). It really took the fun out of the event to see such a difference. It just didn't seem special at all. :0(

Then, last Sept., 2016, we cruised on the Noordam from Vancouver through the Inside Passage etc...and spent time in Anchorage; three nights at Denali and finally an evening in Fairbanks. Most guests on this cruise, of course, wore the more casual clothing that you'd expect for an Alaskan cruise. This cruise/land adventure was FABULOUS!!!! I'd recommend this to all!!!

This April, the Konningsdam will be our home for 15 days, originating in Rome and sailing for the most part, to several Greek islands, and including the ports of Dubrovnik (again) and Kotor and Corfu (which we missed on our first cruise). We are VERY much looking forward to exploring this new ship which, from what I've read, is much different than any of the other HAL ships. We will have two, "GALA" nights! Should be interesting!!!

Finally,.....in February of 2018, we are going to give Oceania's RIVIERA a try and travel to the Caribbean. I will be interested to see all the differences in cruising with this smaller ship!!! I hear it's quite beautiful and the food is out of this world!! Will the guests dress up or down? Will there be "Gala Nights" on the Riviera? I guess we'll find out!!! ;0)

We are very fortunate to be able to spend our retirement years traveling as we do....and I sure enjoy reading the posts from all those on Cruise Critic!! We've learned alot from all of you!! Happy Sailing!!!

Just some comments here....My husband and I have taken up cruising again after 20+ years!! In those days we cruised with several couples beginning on the NORWAY!!! Our cabin was super tiny and if you weren't careful, once you slipped out of your bed, you could have very easily tripped on the ledge into the teeny bathroom! LOL!!! Our group eventually booked cruises whereas the ships were a bit more luxurious and the cabins a bit bigger (several Princess ships).

Anyway, in those days not only were the "Gala Nights" very, very formal (all tuxes for the guys-brought along both black tuxes and white tuxes) and beaded, glittery very formal gowns for us ladies but we also had the theme dinners ("Sixties Night"; "Western Night") of which you were required to dress for the theme. I found all of this a bit of a pain although once we were there and participating, it was alot of fun!! I doubt (but it's possible) that many cruise lines have "theme nights" anymore.

Now we are retired and have, as of Sept. 2015, jumped back into cruising on HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam's trip from Venice to Dubrovnik, Kotor, Corfu, Sorrento, Rome, Florence, Monte Carlo, St. Tropez and Barcelona. We had HORRIBLE storms and weren't able to get into port at about three of the ports/cities I was MOST looking forward to. On that cruise we discovered "Gala Night" had become alot less "gala" than what we had experienced years ago. People still dressed very nicely but just a little less of the pizzazzz which is fine.

On our cruise on the Royal Princess in Feb., 2016, "Gala Night" was even MORE casual. There were a few, older couples who really came dressed to the 'nines' in tuxes and long, formal gowns and actually,....I felt a bit sorry for them because the majority of the guests were dressed in much more casual clothes (we dressed not quite formal but alot more dressy than the majority). It really took the fun out of the event to see such a difference. It just didn't seem special at all. :0(

Then, last Sept., 2016, we cruised on the Noordam from Vancouver through the Inside Passage etc...and spent time in Anchorage; three nights at Denali and finally an evening in Fairbanks. Most guests on this cruise, of course, wore the more casual clothing that you'd expect for an Alaskan cruise. This cruise/land adventure was FABULOUS!!!! I'd recommend this to all!!!

This April, the Konningsdam will be our home for 15 days, originating in Rome and sailing for the most part, to several Greek islands, and including the ports of Dubrovnik (again) and Kotor and Corfu (which we missed on our first cruise). We are VERY much looking forward to exploring this new ship which, from what I've read, is much different than any of the other HAL ships. We will have two, "GALA" nights! Should be interesting!!!

Finally,.....in February of 2018, we are going to give Oceania's RIVIERA a try and travel to the Caribbean. I will be interested to see all the differences in cruising with this smaller ship!!! I hear it's quite beautiful and the food is out of this world!! Will the guests dress up or down? Will there be "Gala Nights" on the Riviera? I guess we'll find out!!! ;0)

We are very fortunate to be able to spend our retirement years traveling as we do....and I sure enjoy reading the posts from all those on Cruise Critic!! We've learned alot from all of you!! Happy Sailing!!!

Bolding is mine. For your Riviera cruise, there are no gala nights. The dress code is country club casual. Now, having said that most were dressed much nicer than "smart casual" that I have seen some wear on other ships. Eveyone was dressed nicely.