What to Wear Brochure in Cabin

Billthekid

Just completed a 28 day holiday cruise to Australia ending 1-4. There were only 6 Gala nights for the 4 weeks. A brochure in the cabin explaining about the ship and shops had a page labeled What to Wear.

For Gala Nights and Fine Dining it states Collared shirts and slacks for gentlemen, and for ladies, elegant dresses, skirts, or slacks are all acceptable. There is a view of a closet and it shows a man's jacket with a tie. So which is applicable is not understood. On the Gala Nights on our cruise apparently is was neither one. Very sloppy dress noted all over the ship. Baseball caps were being worn to dinner, jeans were noted, and elegant dressers were absent. Attached is a scan of the brochure page.

gala.jpg.acde76360dd612d31da1d1861c6442a7.jpg

No one wants to be the one enforcing the dress policy, so passive methods like these hints are what they're trying to nudge people in the "right" direction. I doubt if it will work, they either have to designate some "bad guys" to enforce the guidelines (no longer rules) or let it go.

There's no reason to force others to dress as you wish. I vote for "let it go".

1. No more bathing suits in the swimming pool

2. No more life jackets when the ship is going down

3. HAL bathrobes now okay in the Pinnacle

4. Officers now wear tank tops, muumuu's and flip flops

5. Medical and serving crews - no longer wear plastic gloves

6. Street clothes for all embarkation staff so you don't know who to ask for help

Dress guidelines for anything simply no longer make any sense at all.

Edited by OlsSalt

When we got home from a 21 day repositioning cruise in 2013 -- one we have done many times -- DH pushed his tuxedo to the back of his closet -- never to be worn again.

This cruise used to have tons of people dressed to the nines. But in 2013 that changed.

And it was even worse when we did this cruise in 2016. Dh wore suits/jackets on Gala nights and was in the majority.

Definitely more men just wear slacks and a colored shirt. Ladies wear slacks/skirts with nice tops or dresses. Very few people dress up anymore.

Times have changed.

On our first cruise not long after they changed to "gala night," I was surprised to see that they still put out the mannequin dressed in a tux in the atrium, advertising rentals. I doubt they got much business.

I like formal nights and I like dressing up. It isn't so much that I care what other people wear or want to dictate to them. I appreciate ambiance. When everyone dresses up, it feels like a special occasion.

But HAL has dumbed down the dress code, so if people can't be bothered, I may not like it, but I can't complain. Their ship, their rules. So the tux and gowns wait for our next Cunard crossing, and for HAL we go with sportcoat and LBD, which is still near the top of the spectrum.

It strikes me that the "what to wear" page on the ship is a bit late. You're already there--if you didn't pack the "right" clothes, you ca't go home and get them.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

1. No more bathing suits in the swimming pool

2. No more life jackets when the ship is going down

3. HAL bathrobes now okay in the Pinnacle

4. Officers now wear tank tops, muumuu's and flip flops

5. Medical and serving crews - no longer wear plastic gloves

6. Street clothes for all embarkation staff so you don't know who to ask for help

Dress guidelines for anything simply no longer make any sense at all.

You must have been on the same cruise to Mexico. A guy decided to enjoy the warm evening by moving a deck lounger on the LP close to the rails. He fell asleep. The only fabric you could see was the small hand towel he had strategically placed...... (I'm sure he MUST have had a speedo on, but if so, it was really tiny).:eek:

It strikes me that the "what to wear" page on the ship is a bit late. You're already there--if you didn't pack the "right" clothes, you ca't go home and get them.

That was my first thought when I read the post.

Great minds, and all that....

I've often said to myself, "Self, if only there were an in-room brochure telling me how to dress." Imagine the convenience! I can hardly wait for the light up cutlery that blinks to let you know which fork or knife to use. A laminated placard that explains that the butter goes from the butter dish to the bread plate and not directly onto the bread would be cool, too.

http://www.etiquettescholar.com/dining_etiquette/table_manners/dinner_etiquette/condiments_and_sauces/butter.html

Adults should not need little drawings to show them how to dress no more than they need little drawings on the menu to help them choose their meal. :rolleyes: It is not a great comment on the way HAL executives view their class of guests if they feel that they need to remind them what a collared shirt looks like :eek:

dressed in a tux in the atrium, advertising rentals. I doubt they got much business.

When they stop renting tuxes that will be the final nail in the coffin for "formal" on "Gala" nights. We will still dress up because it's one time when we like to get a nice picture taken.

Times have changed as the trite saying goes. No one dresses up much anywhere. Everywhere in the world people dress in similar casual ways. It's more comfortable, it's cheaper. What happens to all the fancy clothes shown in magazines, runways, high fashion stores. Who will buy them now?

I found it was part of the ambience, part of what made cruising different/special. When I was on a Cunard Baltic cruise a couple of years ago I could almost pretend I was the Dowager Countess of Grantham. You can't get that feeling too many places.

What happens to all the fancy clothes shown in magazines, runways, high fashion stores. Who will buy them now?

The same people who always did, most of the things on runways never make it to pret-a-porter, they just influence future ready to wear collections. That rarefied top one percent still do buy and wear the stuff.

It's more comfortable, it's cheaper.

More egalitarian? There's a "social conformity" aspect to the trend too.

That rarefied top one percent still do buy and wear the stuff.

Fine if they want to set themselves apart. The farther apart the better. ;) Probably not see many of "them" on HAL.

Many people who have to fly long distances to cruise have found that the new luggage limitations have forced them to reconsider what to pack. Also, when we have to travel long distances you tend to stay away for longer periods of time and try to include lots of different experiences into that time.

Taking formal or gala clothing for 4 nights of a ten week holiday can seem a bit silly.

If you are just packing for a 7 or 14 day cruise then you would pack accordingly - unfortunately isn't what we are able to do.

Many people who have to fly long distances to cruise have found that the new luggage limitations have forced them to reconsider what to pack. Also, when we have to travel long distances you tend to stay away for longer periods of time and try to include lots of different experiences into that time.

Taking formal or gala clothing for 4 nights of a ten week holiday can seem a bit silly.

If you are just packing for a 7 or 14 day cruise then you would pack accordingly - unfortunately isn't what we are able to do.

We drive to the port for seven day cruises and we wouldn't consider bringing formal/gala wear. I wouldn't wear it even if it was complimentary. We much prefer the ambiance of room service on our aft wrap where the dress code is bathrobes and flip flops.