Clueless newbie needing major handholding

hi y'all. I was led to this forum by friends who knew I had a million questions they couldn't answer. Background, I've never ever ever been on a cruise nor have I left the US in any way. I was going to say no to going but it wouldn't be fair to my child who'd never gone. My partner, his two kids and myself and my daughter are going this summer. Cruise is thru Greece from Rome. 7 day I think.

Now here's my dilemma. I am in school. I am also in an internship with set hours I have to do. Thus I'll miss about 4 days at job that I have to make up. What worries me most if my classes. I cannot miss more than one in the term. I am spazzing with the flight and with days on ship. My partner assures me I will have internet to do the classes on ship. I do them on something that is like Skype called an adobe room. I also need to have my cell phone to actually hear the class and participate.

Never having left the US, I know nothing about cell phone usage and what I need to do for that. Do I pay for international card, buy a phone, what? How much is it? I am beyond poor. I will be going with zero money, a tag along moocher. LOL... I heard that I should pay for internet package in advance but have no clue as to price. I also have to figure out when I can schedule classes with the time differential so that I won't be on a darn plane. This is all so stressful and I do NOT want to appear ungrateful to my partner. Then there are excursions and my classes. Head exploding.

Then the nitty gritty. Can't afford suitcases. We have carry on size and I want to limit to that. so what to pack?

other people in school have gone on cruises, but it's been caribbean. No major travels required.

any handholding would be greatly appreciated. Oh and leaving july of this year.

Welcome to cruise critic.

Your plans sound very stressful! Wouldn't even try!

However, in order for people to helpful need to know what cruise line and ship. Internet varies as does price.

Same with packing and carry one only. Different cruise lines have different dress requirements.

More detailed information may get you a better response.

I am beyond poor. Can't afford suitcases.

I think this says it all. You really should simply cancel the cruise and go when you can afford it.

Just for starters, the internet on the ship is very likely not good enough for your class - never mind the cost.

Welcome to CC.

I think this says it all. You really should simply cancel the cruise and go when you can afford it. ...

Totally agree. Plus, there will be many more expenses on the trip, besides suitcases and internet.

hi y'all. I was led to this forum by friends who knew I had a million questions they couldn't answer. Background, I've never ever ever been on a cruise nor have I left the US in any way. I was going to say no to going but it wouldn't be fair to my child who'd never gone. My partner, his two kids and myself and my daughter are going this summer. Cruise is thru Greece from Rome. 7 day I think.

Now here's my dilemma. I am in school. I am also in an internship with set hours I have to do. Thus I'll miss about 4 days at job that I have to make up. What worries me most if my classes. I cannot miss more than one in the term. I am spazzing with the flight and with days on ship. My partner assures me I will have internet to do the classes on ship. I do them on something that is like Skype called an adobe room. I also need to have my cell phone to actually hear the class and participate.

Never having left the US, I know nothing about cell phone usage and what I need to do for that. Do I pay for international card, buy a phone, what? How much is it? I am beyond poor. I will be going with zero money, a tag along moocher. LOL... I heard that I should pay for internet package in advance but have no clue as to price. I also have to figure out when I can schedule classes with the time differential so that I won't be on a darn plane. This is all so stressful and I do NOT want to appear ungrateful to my partner. Then there are excursions and my classes. Head exploding.

Then the nitty gritty. Can't afford suitcases. We have carry on size and I want to limit to that. so what to pack?

other people in school have gone on cruises, but it's been caribbean. No major travels required.

any handholding would be greatly appreciated. Oh and leaving july of this year.

If the situation you are in is as bad as you state, I think you should sit down with your partner and have an adult conversation about this.

I am not poor. But there are things I would like that I cannot afford. I do without. On top of that, I am not trying to figure out how I can fit in my school obligations. I was out of work for a while. I went to the movies, I did not go cruising.

What kind of vacation is this going to be if you are stressed, and doing class work while the others are out having fun?

On top of all of that, while the ship is at sea, your cell phone will be connected to a satellite system. Actually I should say, you cell phone will be connected to a very expensive $atellite $y$tem. Also, if you are thinking about streaming to your laptop, you may find that the ship's internet will not provide you the bandwidth you need.

Sometimes it is better to put off something until such a time when you can both afford it and enjoy it.

The internet on most ships is less than stellar....VERY slow connections, lots of dropping out....I wouldn't ATTEMPT to do a class online on the ship. Internet is also EXPENSIVE, as will be your phone charges while sailing!

If you can accelerate your studies BEFORE you leave...that could be your solution.

As far as "not being fair to your child"...it doesn't help either you OR your child if you have to go into "hock" for something you simply can't afford right now!

I went on a 7 day cruise while going to school online. I recommend you download as much material as you will need before you get off of land. It's totally doable and I found time to do it laying out on the balcony....still had plenty of time to enjoy my family and meet my obligations for school. Enjoy your trip, just plan ahead.

Again, not to pile on, but I agree with the others.

You sound stressed enough without having to figure out how to do classes, as well. Cruising, while considered affordable, still comes with expenses..seen and unforeseen. The internet is EXPENSIVE on ships, and very unreliable. We are by no means rich, and we budget our expenses for vacations...if we have the money, we go....if we don't, we stay home! I do wish you well on your studies 😊

Your are getting sound advice, i recommend you sit down and learn all the expenses you will encounter, it is not just the cruise price, you will have daily Gratuities, pre cruise hotel & flight cost, Tours you might do. You can call the cruise line and get a total pricing of your cruise which will be your room & Taxes. Then estimate the other costs to come up with a total. The internet on board can be expensive and you may not connect all the time. I would get your schooling out of the way and work to save up for your first cruise. A down payment will be required then work out paying the balance owed and when final is due to see if you can afford it. Best of luck to you.

It's not fair to your child to drag them halfway across the world and then not let them do anything because you have a class and/or can't afford any of the fun excursions etc.

There is plenty to do on board that is free, but if you are with others who want to do stuff that costs money, there will be an expectation that you join in. Plus the stress aspect of it all, trying to catch your web broadcasts on the spotty internet in the middle of the night, the possibility of there being a delay on your return home (you said you couldn't miss work), it sounds like it wouldn't that great a trip.

How old is your daughter? Is she of an age where she would even appreciate it? And have you looked at the expense of passports and travel insurance? Do you have permission from her father to take her overseas? You have a lot to consider!

An additional thought and added expense will be that you will have to have a two device internet package since you said you need both your phone and the computer at the same time to participate in the class. This will also add to the cost.

OP, I have chosen not cruise because of class attendance parameters when working on my Masters. It is barely possible to have good quality connectivity via internet and cell phone as you describe. That does not include the absorbent expense. Your decision now!

Personally I wouldn't even think about it if I were struggling that badly with finances at the moment, but I'll be the lone dissenter here and say if your partner is footing the bill and you're OK with that arrangement, then go for it.

Just realize that the expenses go well above the rate you see for the cruise though. Taxes, port fees, gratuities....it adds up very quickly. The internet alone would set you back somewhere in the neighborhood of $12 - $18 per day and it's not entirely reliable.

It's your decision.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm surprised no one has mentioned about the time difference in Europe. Depending on where you are at, you may have to attend the online class in the middle of the night while everyone is asleep. Not sure if I would do that. :rolleyes:

An additional thought and added expense will be that you will have to have a two device internet package since you said you need both your phone and the computer at the same time to participate in the class. This will also add to the cost.

They would only need the internet package on their phone if they are capable of WiFi calling. Otherwise internet will do them no good on their phone and they'll be forced to use the ship's cell towers to make/receive calls via their phone.

They would only need the internet package on their phone if they are capable of WiFi calling. Otherwise internet will do them no good on their phone and they'll be forced to use the ship's cell towers to make/receive calls via their phone.

He said would need both the computer and the phone at the same time in order to hear and watch the class.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned about the time difference in Europe. Depending on where you are at, you may have to attend the online class in the middle of the night while everyone is asleep. Not sure if I would do that. :rolleyes:

I thought the same thing. In fact, the OP doesn't specify where they are other than in the US. If they are West Coast, they could be looking at a potential 8-9 hour difference between ship's time and class time.

He said would need both the computer and the phone at the same time in order to hear and watch the class.

Actually what they said was "I also need to have my cell phone to actually hear the class and participate." They are not using their phone to watch the class.

As someone who works out of my home and uses Skype, WebEx, GoToMeeting, etc to conduct meetings with colleagues across the country, the only time we use our phone for such meetings is when the PC component cannot stream audio. Therefore we need to use a phone (internet not required) to make voice calls. I can almost assure you that is most likely the case in the OP needs. If their phone does not provide for WiFi calling, then internet on their phone does them absolutely no good.

Edited by Scottee25
typos

I went on a 7 day cruise while going to school online. I recommend you download as much material as you will need before you get off of land. It's totally doable and I found time to do it laying out on the balcony....still had plenty of time to enjoy my family and meet my obligations for school. Enjoy your trip, just plan ahead.

I have taught a few online college classes while on cruises. As others have said and I agree the internet on ships are not reliable, slow and can be very expensive. Is your academic success less important then a expensive cruise. Wait until you graduate and can afford to take your family on a truly fantastic trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should consider a 4 to 5 day Caribbean cruise to wet your cruising feet. The money you save in airfare can go towards additional expenses like internet package etc. it will also be a lot easier to come up with usable timetable to schedule your online classes.

With your financial situation and the added pressure of having to do classes with a minimum of 6 hour time difference is just a bad idea and bad planning.