Update of Diamond & Diamond + Perks???

Papa T

After 43 RC cruises we found ourselves drifting toward X primarily because of some different ports and longer cruises. Suddenly it dawned on me that it has been 3 years since our last RC cruise. We are now looking forward to cruises on Harmony, Brilliance, and Liberty in the next 12 months. My questions is . . . have there been any signifiant changes to the Diamond and/or Diamond + program in the past 3 years. Thanks for your help! :confused:

No Concierge Lounge on Harmony and Liberty, so Diamond Plus have only the Diamond Lounge on those ships and other Oasis class ships. Diamond and above get 3 drink vouchers per evening, to be used at any bar, during the time that the DL is open for drinks, for the same type of drinks served in the DL. This is in addition to the unlimited drinks in the DL during the cocktail period.

Edited by clarea

Thanks! I don't remember the 340 credit threshold for certain perks in the past. We're looking forward to reconnecting with RC! :)

Always been an intermediate thresholds for extra perks. Before cruise points, those levels were 49 and 75 cruise credits.

Always been an intermediate thresholds for extra perks. Before cruise points, those levels were 49 and 75 cruise credits.

Do they still offer upgrades to high point cruisers on ships that don't fill (suites, etc.)?

Papa,

Coming from X I can practically guarantee you will be disappointed.

We were on Summit in July and I can say, I disagree that they'll be disappointed. DH and I still can't figure out why some think so. We've met plenty of others who feel like we do. We were not impressed with X. There's really no difference between X and RCI.

Edited by BND

We were on Summit in July and I can say, I disagree that they'll be disappointed. DH and I still can't figure out why some think so. We've met plenty of others who feel like we do. We were not impressed with X. There's really no difference between X and RCI.

The last time I sailed RCI the Asst. Waiters were taking orders and serving wine - no wine stewards. Even though I don't enjoy wine, the extra work slowed down service. In addition, RCI ships in general provide activities that attract children. I'm taking my grandchildren (9 & 12) on Harmony. I would probably not take them on an X ship. Of my 3 RCI planned cruises, Brilliance will cater to a more mature group. Harmony and Liberty will be a much younger crowd. I have enjoyed all of my RCI and X cruises and will happily continue to cruise on both. Next week I leave for 14 days in the Caribbean on Eclipse with what will probably be a pretty mature crowd, and in June I am looking forward to taking my grandchildren on Harmony.

Edited by Papa T

After 43 RC cruises we found ourselves drifting toward X primarily because of some different ports and longer cruises. Suddenly it dawned on me that it has been 3 years since our last RC cruise. We are now looking forward to cruises on Harmony, Brilliance, and Liberty in the next 12 months. My questions is . . . have there been any signifiant changes to the Diamond and/or Diamond + program in the past 3 years. Thanks for your help! :confused:

We are in exactly the same boat (sorry ship....)!

After being loyal to Royal for many years we had two less than good cruises one after the other -some issues with a 'rowdy' Cruise and some with less than good service.

We never fell out of love with RC we just needed a change and have recently enjoyed several cruises on Celebrity.

We board Oasis soon. I don't see one line as 'better' than the other but I do see them as very different and dependent on what we want from a cruise (entertainment and liveliness we would choose RC, rest and relaxation we would choose Celebrity) we would make our choice.

It will be interesting after this gap to re-evaluate both lines in terms of what they offer (enjoyment, food, rooms, value for money, loyalty perks, suite perks...).

I have enjoyed looking at the list of D+ perks as this will be our first D+ cruise.

Papa,

Coming from X I can practically guarantee you will be disappointed.

I think this comment is interesting. We will sail X next month. I look forward to the ship/itinerary and the Go Best promo. [Can you say Mardi Gras!!!] However, it does not seem the Elite perks are as good as the Diamond perks. [while we are D+ on RCL we move to Elite on X--I feel that is fair]

The happy hour is not as long or as often, no free pictures, and the free internet is 45 minutes vs 24 hours. I know the 45 is not continuous and you can spread it out over the cruise. But, 45 minuted does not spread very far. :rolleyes: DH is D+ also, so we are able to use our internet over 4 days 2-24 hour periods. On X we will have 1.5 hours between us. [yes, we know as D+ we get 2 days each , but I am not comparing that since it does not align with the reciprocity] I will save 20-30 minutes for the last day to check in online with the airline and email DD who will pick us up at the airport.

Actually, I would be happy if Royal Caribbean offered me an upgrade every four years!

M

We have never had an upgrade. I have heard the upgrade fairy exists--but, I think that is an urban legend. :eek:

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

Now Diamond Plus after 4 years of cruising Royal Caribbean. 21 or so cruises. Never been offered an upgrade. We like RCCL, but we've only cruised NCL once and HAL twice. Going out on a Liberty cruise on 2/5. There wasn't any fanfare when we turned Diamond Plus. Seems like RCCL is missing a great opportunity to make their most loyal customers feel appreciated. We got a couple of luggage tags in the mail. It sticks in my craw more than just a little bit that a person in a suite who is cruising RCCL is treated better than we are. Hope someone w/ RCCL is listening.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree that there are more similarities than differences. But, for many, X is a first foray to the upper outskirts of the mass market lines. For the significant differences in service and quality (particularly in food, cabin amenities, lack of nickel/dining, etc), one would have to trade up to the premium lines (e.g., Oceania and Azamara). And the real pleasant surprise comes when folks do a bottom line "net daily rate" (not just cabin price) comparison between X and Oceania where the value of included airfare/air credit plus other perks may often erase the price difference between X and O.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think this comment is interesting. We will sail X next month. I look forward to the ship/itinerary and the Go Best promo. [Can you say Mardi Gras!!!] However, it does not seem the Elite perks are as good as the Diamond perks. [while we are D+ on RCL we move to Elite on X--I feel that is fair]

The happy hour is not as long or as often, no free pictures, and the free internet is 45 minutes vs 24 hours. I know the 45 is not continuous and you can spread it out over the cruise. But, 45 minuted does not spread very far. :rolleyes: DH is D+ also, so we are able to use our internet over 4 days 2-24 hour periods. On X we will have 1.5 hours between us. [yes, we know as D+ we get 2 days each , but I am not comparing that since it does not align with the reciprocity] I will save 20-30 minutes for the last day to check in online with the airline and email DD who will pick us up at the airport.

We have never had an upgrade. I have heard the upgrade fairy exists--but, I think that is an urban legend. :eek:

Over the years we have been upgraded 5-6 times. it was all based on the pecking order of cruisers on that cruise. The people with the most points or credits got first choice.

By the way the internet perk for Elite on X is 90 minutes or 180 if both of you are Elite. For Elite + it is 240 minutes per person. It's unfortunate that D+ doesn't transfer to E+. I had to earn it the old fashion way - by earning more X points. The X perk package has improved over the years, but with the exception of additional laundry and internet the E+ perks don't amount to a great deal over Elite. On Summit earlier this month I broached this topic with the Captains Club rep. We had 200 Elites on board but only 23 E+ cruisers. It would have been possible to do something special for this group such as lunch with an officer - one of the D+ perks I always enjoyed. At any rate I predict that you will have a great time on X.