Travel Insurance - read the fine print

This is a very sad story of an Australian lady left uninsured in a Thai hospital. Apparently she was riding a motorcycle without holding an Australian motorcycle licence which voided her travel insurance.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-27/injured-australian-woman-dawn-weldon--stuck-in-thai-hospital/8218036

The 53-year-old nurse ....Australian tourist was riding a moped with her 14-year-old son on January 15, when she collided head-on with a truck in the Thai resort district of Ko Lanta.

why.... no .. WHY ... even consider hiring / riding something like that in an Asian country ??

it's not the first time - and it wont be the last time that these type of stories make our news - taxi.. taxi... taxi..... a few $$$ and at least some protection !

Though why would you be surprised to find you were not covered by your insurance if you were driving a vehicle that you don't hold a license for? How many times has this exact same issue come up about people on holidays having accidents on scooters/mopeds/motorbikes then problems arise with insurance?

why.... no .. WHY ... even consider hiring / riding something like that in an Asian country ??

Is there something in the water in Thailand and Bali that causes tourist's brains to shut down?

No licence, 14 year old on the back. What do you want to bet that before this she had never ridden any kind of motorbike in her life.

Is there something in the water in Thailand and Bali that causes tourist's brains to shut down?

No licence, 14 year old on the back. What do you want to bet that before this she had never ridden any kind of motorbike in her life.

... and maybe wasn't wearing a helmet. Nevertheless, I feel sorry for her and her family.

DH and I hired motor scooters in Bali. I have a motorcycle licence. He does not.

The company hiring out scooters arranged for him to have a driving test (by police) on the spot and he was issued with a licence. So, in one instance at least, the folk in Bali were taking the proper precautions.

DH and I hired motor scooters in Bali. I have a motorcycle licence. He does not.

The company hiring out scooters arranged for him to have a driving test (by police) on the spot and he was issued with a licence. So, in one instance at least, the folk in Bali were taking the proper precautions.

The news report said the lady did not have an Australian motorcycle licence. The report also said The General Exclusions clause in the Allianz Insurance Basic policy states: "This applies even if you are not required by law to hold a licence in the country."

Wonder if this is just an Allianz thing? Isn't Allianz behind a lot of credit card insurance?

The requirement to have a licence in your home country (as in here in Australia) is pretty common for most travel insurances i looked into as well. And this issue gets highlighted in the news every time something like this happens as it is common for people travelling in Asia to want to hire a motorcycle whilst holidaying there but who don't have a motorcycle licence here....as a PP alluded - it just seems like the "forget" this or maybe think nothing will happen to them (which includes the "I don't need a helmet" mentality too :rolleyes:).

I feel sorry for this lady but sadly she should have known better :(

This incident might fall into the category "Nothing bad can happen to me - I'm on holiday". Often people will do things while on holiday that they would not even consider at home, but unfortunately in a lot of overseas countries, the risks are greater than they would be at home.

Most travel insurance I've looked at has an exclusion clause for mopeds (often motorbikes) licences or not.

Unless you have an Oz motorcycle licence its been an exclusion for as long as I can remember. As a motorcycle rider I researched this many years ago. I don't think much, if anything, has changed.

Also, having been riding for over 45 years (and being a qualified instructor) I would be very apprehensive about riding a bike in places such as Bali or Thailand. Having said that, a trail bike ride on the Ho Chi Min trail from Hanoi to Saigon, where you have experienced local guides, has been on my bucket list for a long time.

As above, its a holiday "it can't happen to me" mentality thing.

Unless you have an Oz motorcycle licence its been an exclusion for as long as I can remember. As a motorcycle rider I researched this many years ago. I don't think much, if anything, has changed.

Also, having been riding for over 45 years (and being a qualified instructor) I would be very apprehensive about riding a bike in places such as Bali or Thailand. Having said that, a trail bike ride on the Ho Chi Min trail from Hanoi to Saigon, where you have experienced local guides, has been on my bucket list for a long time.

As above, its a holiday "it can't happen to me" mentality thing.

There is no way I would ever drive on roads in Asia, licenced or not, motorbike, car or moped. I prefer my driver/chauffeur/taxi to take those risks and then I buckle up, make a prayer and hold on tight.

Edited by MicCanberra

Having traveled extensively through South East Asia over the last 15 years you couldn't pay me enough to get behind the wheel of a car let alone get on any type of bike. It is my experience that whatever road rules they have are only very loosely adhered too. It is a sad story but hopefully one that others will learn from.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Forums mobile app

Having traveled extensively through South East Asia over the last 15 years you couldn't pay me enough to get behind the wheel of a car let alone get on any type of bike. It is my experience that whatever road rules they have are only very loosely adhered too. It is a sad story but hopefully one that others will learn from.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Forums mobile app

Exactly, normal road rules seem like they are just suggestions.:eek:

Exactly, normal road rules seem like they are just suggestions.:eek:

Having ridden and driven and Asia in particular Saigon, it's not that bad, so long as you don't take "Australian" road rules with you. If you understand flow of traffic has right of way, personal space is non-existent and the bigger vehicle has "right of way" then it should be ok.

As for the lady in hospital, she is old enough to know better, you don't magically get riding abilities while overseas. When I was younger I was stupid enough to ride without a license while OS but at least I had riding experience.

Having ridden and driven and Asia in particular Saigon, it's not that bad, so long as you don't take "Australian" road rules with you. If you understand flow of traffic has right of way, personal space is non-existent and the bigger vehicle has "right of way" then it should be ok.

As for the lady in hospital, she is old enough to know better, you don't magically get riding abilities while overseas. When I was younger I was stupid enough to ride without a license while OS but at least I had riding experience.

I understand what you mean. Have been to Vietnam a couple of times. One time our local Hanoi guide took me, as pillion on on his scooter, to a motorcycle parts market in afternoon peak hour. It was quite exciting and I was not concerned at all for my safety as I had become used to Hanoi traffic by then.

Totally agree, we have hired cars in Thailand, drive with the flow.....just like crossing the road in Saigon or Hanoi:D

Honking of horns is when someone is overtaking you......not like here.

Best holidays we have had, I feel safer driving than with some of the guides we have had:eek:

We take our Australian license, an International license, have full travel insurance and hire from a reputable company.

Edited by cheznandy

Totally agree, we have hired cars in Thailand, drive with the flow.....just like crossing the road in Saigon or Hanoi:D

Honking of horns is when someone is overtaking you......not like here.

Best holidays we have had, I feel safer driving than with some of the guides we have had:eek:

We take our Australian license, an International license, have full travel insurance and hire from a reputable company.

Horn here is an audible version of the middle finger, horn's in Asia is an audible version of the indicator.

Ultimately though some tourist need to understand the culture they are getting into rather than bring their way of doing it in their country. That's when they usually get in trouble, that goes whether they are on the road or otherwise. Combined that with inexperience then it's a recipe for disaster.

Do you mean an International Driver Permit as issued by the RACV. NRMA and RACQ?

Also I wonder what would have happened if the passenger was injured? I'm guessing the insurance would still be denied because the driver was unlicensed.

Do you mean an International Driver Permit as issued by the RACV. NRMA and RACQ?

Also I wonder what would have happened if the passenger was injured? I'm guessing the insurance would still be denied because the driver was unlicensed.

I would assume they mean that as the international licence as some places will not let you hire the car/bike unless you have one.

Generally, most insurances would be voided due to being unlicensed and thus leaving the passengers uninsured as well.