Any News on ship Passengers being detained?

Karysa

They weren't from a country on the list so it would have had no impact

What about the horrid Orlando shooting?

Speaking of shootings, my thoughts are with those who sufer from yesterday's shooting i n Q uebec City. So horrible..

Edited by sail7seas

LOL.....do you think they don't have computers and RFID chip readers? That they have no information at all about someone other than the paper they present? Maybe you think they don't share information with other departments, organizations, and even other governments?

Maybe you should do some research on the internet about US immigration computer systems. They are 20 years out of date and fraught with problems. This is part of what Trump's Executive Order on Immigration addresses.

What about the horrid Orlando shooting?

Speaking of shootings, my thoughts are with those who sufer from yesterday's shooting i n Q uebec City. So horrible..

I thought the Orlando shootings were carried out by a US citizen. The media reported he was born in the US

And thank you regarding Quebec

So all of this hullaboo is because a non citizen was detained a few hrs?

At JFK airport in NYC which is a primary entry point for international arrivals and handles approx 54 Million passengers a year, a total of 41 people were detained. Two were deported, 1 still detained and the rest sent on their way. Not too terrible for travelers with questionable documentation.

What was terrible however were the mobs blocking access to the terminals and caused my cousin and many many other people from getting on their flights.

Mob rule seems to have become the norm now. How shameful.:mad:

It is shameful but I don't think it is just mob rule:

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/liberal-activist-soros-funding/2017/01/29/id/770919/

http://www.breitbart.com/jerusalem/2017/01/28/george-soros-financed-groups-scheme-stop-trumps-temporary-refugee-halt-order/

http://www.livetradingnews.com/immigration-report-george-soros-funding-airport-chaos-28382.html#.WI9y8LGZOu4

Misinformation. That woman you mention in relation to the San Bernadino shootings (did she actually do the shooting?) anyways, she was NOT from one of the 7 banned countries.

Yes, both she and her husband did the actual shooting. Terrible to think about.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/07/us/san-bernardino-shooting/index.html

Even a US citizen carrying a US passport will be questioned if they were simply born in a country that is on the banned list? Have I missed this? So a 70 year old US citizen who was born in one of the 7 banned countries who has been a US citizen for say 40 years could be red flagged by simply coming bac from visiting their sister who lives in that banned country? Am I interpreting your comments correctly?

So far many folks have been detained who have not been included in the order as written. At this time it is advised that anyone with any of those 7 countries listed anywhere in your passport not attempt to come here.

"First they came for the Muslims"

Even a US citizen carrying a US passport will be questioned if they were simply born in a country that is on the banned list? Have I missed this? So a 70 year old US citizen who was born in one of the 7 banned countries who has been a US citizen for say 40 years could be red flagged by simply coming bac from visiting their sister who lives in that banned country? Am I interpreting your comments correctly?

Yes.

This has always been possible. If you are a US citizen, but you make frequent trips to, say, Iran, to visit your elderly grandparents who never left Iran after the fall of the Shah, you may indeed be detained for special questioning. US Citizens are pulled by Immigration and Customs for secondary questioning everyday at airports.

I have some athlete friends who are dual-passport holders. They will use their other passport to enter other countries which do not have restrictions for that country, but will use their US passport to re-enter the US.

Or, you have athletes, like Mo Farrah; born in Somalia, emigrated to Great Britain, holds British passport, lives and trains in Oregon... he wrote a nice editorial piece about how he is now afraid right now that, if he leaves for a meet overseas and tries to return home, he may be denied and will not be able to be with his wife and kids...

P.S. some of you need to stop getting your "facts" from Breitbart and Fox... if you don't like normal news outlets, look at the BBC or CBC or Al Jazeera America or RL2...

Edited by slidergirl

So far many folks have been detained who have not been included in the order as written. At this time it is advised that anyone with any of those 7 countries listed anywhere in your passport not attempt to come here.

"First they cmer the Muslims" (

, first the terrorists

Th advice I have heard is to com e through Boston's Logan airport as there is a court order from a Fderal JJudge that travelers witrh valid green card or visa are not to be held at that airport but are to be allowed to enter. From the r report I heard, that is a temporary order and expires in about 7 days. T here were some foreign doctors ,, Harvard researchers, professors etc who were caught in the chaos over the wewekend but I think haew now been allowed to enter. A dentist with a private practice was initially held but was allowed to go.

Edited by sail7seas

I too would not travel to OR transit through the US for the foreseeable future. Was thinking of a Caribbean cruise next year may well change my plans.

Believe me, if I could avoid having to fly into Miami this weekend to board our ship, I would. This will be our last trip into or thru the US for the foreseeable future, due to their deplorable policies.

The good news is that you can still do a Caribbean cruise. There are cruises that depart out of Barbados. Mostly P&O, but also Seaborne and a couple of Carnival cruises, too. I haven't checked to see if there are departures from any other island. So, happy cruising!

Coutts, Alberta to Montana. There is a sign at the border instructing everyone to drive to a nearby town and report to US Immigration there. There are no Immigration Officials present at the border.

Wrong!

Coutts/Sweetgrass is open 24/7/365

I have some athlete friends who are dual-passport holders. They will use their other passport to enter other countries which do not have restrictions for that country, but will use their US passport to re-enter the US.

If you are a dual citizen and have a US Passport you are REQUIRED by US law to use your US Passport for entering and exiting the US.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal-considerations/us-citizenship-laws-policies/citizenship-and-dual-nationality/dual-nationality.html

"Most U.S. nationals, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. "

Incidentally, most countries require that their nationals to enter and leave using that country's passport.

And since the Sandy Hook shooting on December 14, 2012 there has been 97 school shootings in the US. The president should be looking in his own back yard first!

Seems like this xenophobic ban is just like the lock on my house... It only keeps out the honest ones. If someone with ill intentions wants in your country.... he's going to find a way in.

Another concern would be this could make US citizens and us here in Canada more likely to be targets when traveling abroad. Not fair but a concern I would think. Again to relate this to cruising it could potentially hurt the European cruise industry as many folks that I met were from the US on my 3 cruises that started in Venice and Rome.

If you are a dual citizen and have a US Passport you are REQUIRED by US law to use your US Passport for entering and exiting the US.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal-considerations/us-citizenship-laws-policies/citizenship-and-dual-nationality/dual-nationality.html

"Most U.S. nationals, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. "

Incidentally, most countries require that their nationals to enter and leave using that country's passport.

What do you mean when you say "Most U.S. nationals, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States." ?

How about if you don't have a US passport? For instance a now adult born in the US who never applied for a US passport. Now they live in Canada and have traveled to the US countless times on their Canadian passport including many trips across the border and via plane without ever being questioned. If they never had a US passport are they required to get one if they want to visit the US?

Yes. Los Angeles can kiss their Olympics bid good-bye, too.

Another concern would be this could make US citizens and us here in Canada more likely to be targets when traveling abroad. Not fair but a concern I would think. Again to relate this to cruising it could potentially hurt the European cruise industry as many folks that I met were from the US on my 3 cruises that started in Venice and Rome.

Most sadly,

Canada and U.S. have already Been proven to be terrorism targets.

Yesterdays', Quebec City shoorting and if I recall correct=ly, the attack at Parliament was ruled terrorism?

No r eason to think anything fair when it comes to terrorIsm, IMO.

I agree European cruise bookings might be impacted by all this. I think they likely were in 2016 It is wave sesaon. Be interesting to learn how the Europeqn cruise bookings are doing.

Edited by sail7seas

Most sadly,

Canada and U.S. havve already veen proven r to be terrorism targets.

Yesterdays', Quebve City shoorting and if I ercxall correctrly, the attack at Parliament was ruled terrorism?

No to both...

Parliament shooter was Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, a 32-year-old Canadian habitual offender and drug addict from Montreal. Considered by several acquaintances to have mental issues.

The lone suspect in the shooting at the Quebec City mosque Sunday night is believed to be Alexandre Bissonnette, a 27-year-old student at Université Laval who was studying anthropology before switching to political science.

What do you mean when you say "Most U.S. nationals, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States." ?

How about if you don't have a US passport? For instance a now adult born in the US who never applied for a US passport. Now they live in Canada and have traveled to the US countless times on their Canadian passport including many trips across the border and via plane without ever being questioned. If they never had a US passport are they required to get one if they want to visit the US?

Good question

Most sadly,

Canada and U.S. havve already veen proven r to be terrorism targets.

Yesterdays', Quebve City shoorting and if I ercxall correctrly, the attack at Parliament was ruled terrorism?

I am speaking about Canadian and Americans potentially being bigger targets when traveling abroad and not the countries themselves. Some times it is hard to distinguish the politics from the people and it is often difficult to distinguish between americans and Canadians.

Yesterday's shooting at the mosque may be considered a hate crime and not terrorism. Our brave solider killed at the memorial and the shooting up of our beloved Parliament Building from the lone wolf to be honest, I'm not sure if that was deemed terrorism or if was committed by ( just --used lightly here) a mentally unstable individual. Irregardless of the title assigned to the killings they most certainly terrorize.

Most sadly,

Canada and U.S. have already Been proven to be terrorism targets.

So have probably at least 2 dozen countries in the last 100 years. Probably in the last 50.

The mosque bombing in Quebec City was not terrorism, though it was a hate crime. In that case, and in the three cases of terrorism in Canada that I can think of, the perpetrators were non-immigrant Canadians (well, in the Quebec City mosque bombings, he is actually the presumed perpetrator).

That is a quote from the link I provided. You would have to ask the US Government what they meant when they put that on their website.

Stay safe, herever ver you are or to wherever you roam. Some people will not hear the message no mater how loudly it might be spoken. They do ott wish to. Oh well,,,,,,,,,, safe travel s to all.

Edited by sail7seas

AFAIK, if you have maintained US citizenship, then you must use a US passport to enter and leave the country. A couple of benchmarks for maintaining US citizenship: Filing annual US income tax returns (even if you have no taxable income) and having a current US passport. A not often enforced regulation states that if you do neither of the above, then the US can declare that you have no interest in maintaining your citizenship (and therefore can revoke it).

Does their Canadian passport list their place of birth as being in the US? If so, then US passport control agents should have questioned them about it each time they crossed the border. As has been previously mentioned, most countries require their nationals to enter and leave the country on their national passport; they are free to use whichever passport they prefer when entering or leaving other countries.