Comparing Apples and Oranges

dmwnc1959

Torn between two options, both which I now have booked with deposits. They couldn't be more different from each other, hence the title of the thread. And I can only do one of them.

Option 1:

Anthem of the Seas

09/23/2017

5-night r/t from NYC to Bermuda

Solo studio room with extended balcony

$100 OBC

Option 2:

Crown Princess

09/17/2017

7-night r/t from NYC Canada/New England

Inside cabin

$250 OBC

Some background:

I've done the CA/NE itinerary before - sort of - on the Rotterdam VI (10-nights) NYC-Montreal, and I've already hit most all of the ports that Crown Princess is visiting: Newport RI, Boston MA, Bar Harbor ME, Saint John NB CA (haven't been here before), and Halifax NS CA. I've been on Ruby Princess, so I know what to expect from the ship, although there have been some recent changes to dining options. There's plenty to do in those ports that I haven't done already (like the Fine Arts Museum in Boston), and I'm dying for a fantastic lobster roll.

I've never been to Bermuda, and I'm sure it's fantastic, but I'm not a "beach person", "water sports person", "golf person", or "shopping person". And for some weird reason I'm finding some difficulty in convincing myself to do this cruise other than the fact that I really, really, really, really want to cruise Anthem of the Seas. That giant balcony doesn't hurt, either.

I'm only Platinum with Princess Cruises (gets me 150 free internet minutes?) and nothing much with Royal Caribbean.

Both are nearly exactly the same price including pre-paid gratuities and insurance.

Call me crazy as to why this is such a difficult choice. Any thoughts, suggestions, input, comments (be nice!) etc. are greatly appreciated.

:D

Torn between two options, both which I now have booked with deposits. They couldn't be more different from each other, hence the title of the thread. And I can only do one of them.

Option 1:

Anthem of the Seas

09/23/2017

$100 OBC

Option 2:

Crown Princess

09/17/2017

Inside cabin

$250 OBC

Some background:

I've done the CA/NE itinerary before - sort of - on the Rotterdam VI (10-nights) NYC-Montreal, and I've already hit most all of the ports that Crown Princess is visiting: Newport RI, Boston MA, Bar Harbor ME, Saint John NB CA (haven't been here before), and Halifax NS CA. I've been on Ruby Princess, so I know what to expect from the ship, although there have been some recent changes to dining options. There's plenty to do in those ports that I haven't done already (like the Fine Arts Museum in Boston), and I'm dying for a fantastic lobster roll.

I've never been to Bermuda, and I'm sure it's fantastic, but I'm not a "beach person", "water sports person", "golf person", or "shopping person". And for some weird reason I'm finding some difficulty in convincing myself to do this cruise other than the fact that I really, really, really, really want to cruise Anthem of the Seas. That giant balcony doesn't hurt, either.

I'm only Platinum with Princess Cruises (gets me 150 free internet minutes?) and nothing much with Royal Caribbean.

Both are nearly exactly the same price including pre-paid gratuities and insurance.

Call me crazy as to why this is such a difficult choice. Any thoughts, suggestions, input, comments (be nice!) etc. are greatly appreciated.

OK, you're crazy.

Here are my thoughts. Go to Bermuda. It is a very nice place. Very civil people, polite, educated and friendly. You really want to go . I know you want to go there. Go to New York early or stay later. You will enjoy that too. September is a great time to travel to those locations.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your trip.

Anthem. It's a great ship, and the solo cabin and solo traveller program alone is worth it. Add in a new port and the need not to pay a solo supplement and its a no brainer to me.

And we have not been to bermuda yet, but people who have say its a great place to just wander with plenty to see.

I'm so glad to see you cruising! Just me but I always opt for more days, and I love the Canada New England itinerary. Bermuda is nice, but five nights is so short. And where the ship docks in Bermuda is out by itself and requires you to take a bus, ferry or excursion to see the island.

Haven't done Anthem, did Oasis in November. Great, amazing entertainment but overall Princess is a better fit for us and unless you are doing a lot of specialty dining, the food to me was better on Princess.

Best of luck with your decision!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Option 1:

Anthem of the Seas

09/23/2017

$100 OBC

Option 2:

Crown Princess

09/17/2017

Inside cabin

$250 OBC

Some background:

I would opt for the longer cruise because I prefer the longer cruises, especially since they are the same price. :)

I really like the Crown Princess but have not been on Anthem of the seas.

I am usually more about the ship, less about itinerary. Check out both deck plans, and see if you like one over the other.

Good luck figuring it out. :)

The Anthem probably docks at King's Wharf in Bermuda which is a ferry or bus ride from Hamilton. There isn't much at King's Wharf. You can take tours to the caves or other places in Bermuda which are interesting.

I've been to Bermuda many times on both land trips and by cruise ship. To me, Bermuda is a place to "experience" and spend time there. Particularly if you're not a beach or water person. On my land vacations there, we rented scooters and explored a different part of the islands each day. Went to pubs for fish and chips, etc. Shopped at Marks & Spencer's. Walked through Hamilton, had lunch at beach resorts, etc. Everything there is pretty expensive. To me, that's fun although others might not agree.

We've never been to Bermuda or on the Anthem. My only thought is that it is the end of September on the Atlantic Ocean. Is that balcony going to get a lot of use?

BTW, a good lobster roll, or whole lobster, or lobster bisque in New England. I'm there!:)

Edited by ar1950

THANKS for all of the great input! I have until mid-June to cancel one or the other, so it gives me some time to pore through more of the details. There are some huge pluses and minuses for both options, so that's why it's crazy I can't choose one of the other.

For that time of year the weather should still be fine, so walking around and discovering new things won't require a heavy jacket, and both itineraries will be a "light packing" job. Since I don't do formal nights and don't eat in the MDR the casual dining options and specialty restaurants are very, very important. Entertainment isn't so much a big deal, as I'm good with either the production shows or a movie and still be happy.

In all likelihood I won't be able to cruise again until 2020, so I have to make the most of this next one.

On the topic of food - we did the Anthem Transatlantic in 2015 and went on the Crown Princess last November. I found the Crown Horizon Court crowded, bland and repetitive (a backward step compared to the Princess Royal class setup - we've booked more cruises on these ships to make up for it!). The Anthem Windjammer equivalent was much more spacious with better offerings.

Really didn't like the individual standard dining restaurants on the Anthem - you book a slot and still have to queue and the food wasn't that great. But the speciality restaurants like Chops Grille and Jamies Italian were fabulous. Also nice to have Johnny Rockets as an option.

Princess has better pizza - really disliked the ones from Anthem's Sorrentos. The Anthem is a really beautiful ship - their 270 cafe (oh my the roast beef sandwiches) and entertainment area was excellent and would go on her again.

Edited by dides

Perhaps you should consider whether you are drawn to each cruise by the ship experience or the itinerary. :)

Both are similar in price so that should not be a problem. One is longer with more ports. This could swing your vote to the Crown. However, if you are curious about the Anthem, go for it. From all your posts that I have followed here, the ship is your draw and would most likely fulfill your cruising pleasure.

On the topic of food - we did the Anthem Transatlantic in 2015 and went on the Crown Princess last November. I found the Crown Horizon Court crowded, bland and repetitive (a backward step compared to the Princess Royal class setup - we've booked more cruises on these ships to make up for it!). The Anthem Windjammer equivalent was much more spacious with better offerings.

Really didn't like the individual standard dining restaurants on the Anthem - you book a slot and still have to queue and the food wasn't that great. But the speciality restaurants like Chops Grille and Jamies Italian were fabulous. Also nice to have Johnny Rockets as an option.

Princess has better pizza - really disliked the ones from Anthem's Sorrentos. The Anthem is a really beautiful ship - their 270 cafe (oh my the roast beef sandwiches) and entertainment area was excellent and would go on her again.

I completely agree!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For CROWN PRINCESS the focus is mostly on itinerary, with dining options being solely at the specialty restaurants (Sabatini's and Crown Grill) as well as the new Salty Dog Gastropub.

For ANTHEM OF THE SEAS the focus is primarily for the 'ship experience' (non-MDR dining options, entertainment, etc.), with zero experience having been to Bermuda.

I've cruised ALLURE OF THE SEAS, but ANTHEM is so different the experiences between the two can't come close to being the same. They're also doing away with (if not already gone) Dynamic Dining, so that 'experience' won't be a part of my cruise even though I never use the MDR's.

Edited by dmwnc1959

I would recommend when you try the Anthem, do a longer cruise. There is so much to do and see on that ship, including dining options, you won't really get it all in for a 5 day cruise.

Been on both ships, the Crown was my first 10 years ago and the Anthem was my last a bit more than a year ago, and I loved the both. But did Anthem for 12 days and that was just perfect to experience it all. Whereas Crown is more of a standard classic cruise ship without a thousand bells and whistles and dining options so you'll have time to enjoy both the ship and the ports equally.

For CROWN PRINCESS the focus is mostly on itinerary, with dining options being solely at the specialty restaurants (Sabatini's and Crown Grill) as well as the new Salty Dog Gastropub.

For ANTHEM OF THE SEAS the focus is primarily for the 'ship experience' (non-MDR dining options, entertainment, etc.), with zero experience having been to Bermuda.

I've cruised ALLURE OF THE SEAS, but ANTHEM is so different the experiences between the two can't come close to being the same. They're also doing away with (if not already gone) Dynamic Dining, so that 'experience' won't be a part of my cruise even though I never use the MDR's.

Dave...reading your posts it does appear that your decision boils down to a new ship & destination or a similar ship & a repeated itinerary.

Anthem: A shorter cruise on a new class of ship for you to a new port but having never been to Bermuda not sure if there's much for you to do there. As I recall reading, still being hurricane season cruises to Bermuda have been cancelled. Hurricanes can also affect east coast destinations but there are more alternatives than with a Bermuda cruise.

Crown: Having sailed on the Ruby you know the ship's pros & cons. Crab Shack is now $29 & Salty Dog has decreased from $19 to $12 but decreased from 3 to 2 choices. There are many things to experience in each port & you have 2 extra days with an additional $150 of OBC & 150 free internet minutes.

If I had the same options, I'd chose the longer cruise on the Crown to NE/Canada. I've sailed this itinerary twice including on the Crown & there were still many things to do in each port. I'm like you & not big on beaches & shopping but based on Pam's post there are other things to enjoy in Bermuda. Although I could find many more things to enjoy on a NE/Canada cruise & be less likely to be affected by a hurricane. I have not researched hurricane statistics & base my opinion on what I have previously read on CC. I've sailed weeklong CA Coastals on the Crown twice in the past year & found her to be shipshape. Also they have the first Stephen Schwartz production show...Magic to Do...which I enjoyed on both cruises.

it goes without saying that these are merely my opinions but since you asked these are mine. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Hi,

I would choose the Crown Princess. The cruise is two days longer and visits several different ports. The Anthem only visits one port. I have cruised to Bermuda several times on smaller ships and docked at all three ports. The King's Wharf dock is not very convenient to Hamilton.

Enjoy your cruise!

Chuck

I absolutely love Bermuda - the history, the British influence, the beaches, the people - just everything. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again BUT that being said, I don't think the end of September is a good time to go. It's not so fun in rain.

I think you'd do better on the Canada/NE cruise at that time of year.

As it stands, the longest I can be gone is probably a week. My budget also doesn't allow for a longer (more expensive?) cruise on Anthem of the Seas, and the only 7-night options I'm seeing are Bahamas itineraries and one cruise at the end of April that's a week to Bermuda/Boston.

However, and as much as I love that week-long itinerary with Bermuda and Boston, that cruise is already at the full-payment date and that makes me a bit uncomfortable booking this quick. I'd also be hard-pressed to find someone to cat-sit Gray Kitty without some major inconvenience to friends or family.

Vicious blood-sucking carnivore ;)

32276966960_9f65ab2d7a_z_d.jpg

31813187314_8afefaf18c_z_d.jpg

Dave,

I always vote for more days if possible, especially if the price is very similar. Also the extra OBC and internet minutes add value as well. More ports to me is more entertaining also. I am getting to the point that even 7 days seems too short. On our last cruise both my Mother and I felt that the 19 days was not enough! LOL :D If we only had infinite amounts of time and money! :)

I am assuming that you are going SOLO on both cruises, so one more thing to consider is that you will get 2 cruises credits on Princess for sailing SOLO which will get you closer to elite status!

If I was going on one of those big new ships like the Anthem I would need more days to explore and enjoy it.

Whatever your choice, Happy Cruising!!!

Mark

P.S. Pretty Cat! Looks like my friends cat.

Edited by cruisehappy001

• 3 weeks later...