Booking adjoining room for kids?

lmintzer

I am still deciding if I would like to cruise the Breakaway to Bermuda with my teen sons this summer . . . sorry to post so many times about it.

I've been thinking about all the possible stateroom permutations that could work for us: from aft balcony to mid-ship mini to Haven 2 bedroom suite . . . I am a little "spoiled" from the minis on the Pearl--the divider curtain was great, as was the somewhat bigger balcony and the good storage (loved all of those drawers). But the Haven 2 bedroom is just so much more! I would absolutely love the peace and quiet of the Haven, plus it would be fun to be pampered. : ) But the cost--it's more than twice as much as a mini. I am tempted--but it's really hard to justify, when I could take a whole second vacation for that price.

So--I had one more idea. Would I be able to book adjoining balcony staterooms? I could book myself into one (with two promos--UBP plus SDP) and then book the two boys (ages 16 and 13) into the adjoining cabin with UBP--would it be converted to soda only? Or not allowed at all? and SDP). Or could just book something other than the UBP--maybe internet.

Then, we could leave door open between rooms. If lucky, we could get the steward to open the balcony wall (I know that's not often allowed).

The cost would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $7K as opposed to the $12 that the Haven 2 bedroom would be charging. We'd all have real beds, and we'd have 2 bathrooms, much more storage space, and 2 couches to sit on.

Would this fly with NCL? I tried to search, and it sounds like it would be okay, as long as rooms as adjoining.

Finally, would this mean we would not be able to bid on a Haven 2 bedroom (since we'd have 2 staterooms booked as opposed to 1)?

TIA, and again, I apologize for so many questions!

NCL isn't going to want to put 2 minor children in a room without an adult.

And I think you're right about you with 2 rooms not being a candidate for an upsell going from 2 cabins to one haven suite. That would leave them 2 cabins they'd need to fill, that's double the work and logistics. Usually they don't pick cabins with kids to upsell into the Haven I've noticed.

We had adjoining balcony cabins 12164/12166 on Getaway. It worked out great. I have never cruised in Haven due to the cost - we decided having 2 separate cabins/bathrooms worked best for us. We keep the adjoining cabin door open/cracked. I am not sure what the NCL policy is on having minors alone in adjoining cabins, but you can get around this by booking one adult in each cabin and going to Guest Services when boarding and switching it around - no problem!

• Like 1

The term you want to use is connecting, adjoining doesn't have a connecting door. I think NCL will allow it because you are the only adult. We had to book one adult in each cabin because there are 2 adults on our booking. You will be charged the single supplement.

Would I be able to book adjoining balcony staterooms? I could book myself into one (with two promos--UBP plus SDP) and then book the two boys (ages 16 and 13) into the adjoining cabin with UBP--would it be converted to soda only? Or not allowed at all?

Would this fly with NCL? I tried to search, and it sounds like it would be okay, as long as rooms as adjoining.

Finally, would this mean we would not be able to bid on a Haven 2 bedroom (since we'd have 2 staterooms booked as opposed to 1)?

NCL recently changed the age requirements policy to no longer allow two non-married minors (under 21) to be booked in a cabin whether adjoining adults or not. https://www.ncl.com/faq#age-requirements So you would have to book at least one over 21 in each cabin. If UBP is selected as a promo then adult gets UBP and minor gets soda package.

Upsell is usually one cabin for one cabin. I was not allowed to upsell from two to one, but some have reported it happening. With the new bidding system being implemented it will be one for one.

Sounds like this won't work if NCL did, indeed, change its policy on connecting (thanks for the clarification on connecting/adjoining) rooms. I am kind of surprised that connecting rooms are not allowed. With the door between them left open, it's really not much different than a suite.

So back to the drawing board (which I think, for us, will be either an aft balcony on 9--if there are any left--would probably not do higher, because I really don't want nightclub noise while I'm trying to sleep!) or a mid-ship mini that has the pullman so we can have the choice of using the couch as a couch and having more space during the day. The mid-ship mini also has the advantage on cutting down on walking if I need to chase after my kids (I do tend to check up on them, even though they are older).

I am still deciding if I would like to cruise the Breakaway to Bermuda with my teen sons this summer . . . sorry to post so many times about it.

I've been thinking about all the possible stateroom permutations that could work for us: from aft balcony to mid-ship mini to Haven 2 bedroom suite . . . I am a little "spoiled" from the minis on the Pearl--the divider curtain was great, as was the somewhat bigger balcony and the good storage (loved all of those drawers). But the Haven 2 bedroom is just so much more! I would absolutely love the peace and quiet of the Haven, plus it would be fun to be pampered. : ) But the cost--it's more than twice as much as a mini. I am tempted--but it's really hard to justify, when I could take a whole second vacation for that price.

So--I had one more idea. Would I be able to book adjoining balcony staterooms? I could book myself into one (with two promos--UBP plus SDP) and then book the two boys (ages 16 and 13) into the adjoining cabin with UBP--would it be converted to soda only? Or not allowed at all? and SDP). Or could just book something other than the UBP--maybe internet.

Then, we could leave door open between rooms. If lucky, we could get the steward to open the balcony wall (I know that's not often allowed).

The cost would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $7K as opposed to the $12 that the Haven 2 bedroom would be charging. We'd all have real beds, and we'd have 2 bathrooms, much more storage space, and 2 couches to sit on.

TIA, and again, I apologize for so many questions!

What you are looking for are CONNECTING cabins not simply ADJOINING ones. Threre is no door between simply adjoining cabins. You will need to book an adult in each cabin then just sleep in tbe cabins as you see fit.

The problem is that there is only 1 adult! Me! So what you are suggesting isn't possible.

I just put a courtesy hold on aft balcony 9918 since it seems to be well-loved and it is the only aft balcony on 9 left at this point.

I only wish I were 100% sure about our travel dates. . . there are still a lot of moving parts with our summer.

Is there any harm in putting down the deposit ($150 for the 3 of us)? I would get it back if I cancelled before final payment/90 days out, right?

Although NCL has changed their stated policies regarding connected rooms, I would talk to someone at NCL to see if they will give you a variance since you are a single parent. They may have some leeway that booking online does not allow.

That's if you haven't tried this approach, that is. Never hurts to try.

There is conflicting information on this. Two years ago I booked my kids in a connecting room and when it was time for final payment (recently), my TA and NCL both said that the policy has changed and we couldn't keep our booking like this. They said we could be denied the ability to board (not sure if that is accurate or not).

They policy quoted above (I think from the FAQ page), states that it is no longer allowed.

However, the "required travel documentation" page still states that it is allowed.

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-travel-documents

I think I'm not going to mess with this. It sounds too unclear. Even if I get one agent to tell me one thing, I would worry that I could have problems at boarding.

I'll either stick with my 9th deck aft balcony (great balcony! location--?? for teens to get to their fun, and I would miss the nicer mini-suite bathrooms (I know--silly to care about a bathroom) or do a mid-ship mini. I would certainly bid on a 2 bedroom Haven suite if offered to me.

TIA for all of the help and feedback.

The policy quoted above (I think from the FAQ page), states that it is no longer allowed.

However, the "required travel documentation" page still states that it is allowed.

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-travel-documents

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-travel-documents#age-requirements

I hadn't noticed they forgot to change that page. The FAQ page changed about four times in the last three months. I'm sure NCL will see this or someone will call them on it and that page will get revised also.

CONNECTING cabins are what you want.

It seems even connecting cabins are no longer being allowed for minors only, NCL specifically removed that from their booking policy and FAQ (some older bookings may still exist as some were booked that way on my cruise in December). I have seen several recent posters saying they were no longer allowed to book only minors in a connecting cabin.

Old rule from Freestyle page:

Norwegian Cruise Line’s policy dictates that a minor or young adult must be accompanied in the same stateroom (or connecting stateroom) by a passenger 21 years of age or older at the time of boarding.

New rule from the FAQ page:

Norwegian Cruise Lines policy dictates that a minor or young adult under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom by a guest 21 years of age or older at the time of boarding.

It would not surprise me if exemptions were still being made quietly, as they used to do for suites.

We did this last year with out 8 and 11 year old in room next to us on Escape. Our PCC actually noticed it right before sailing and said he had put a note in the system we were all traveling together.

A policy is just that a policy not a law. Exceptions can be made. In retrospect, though, I would have gotten a letter or email from NCL that I would have brought to port with me in case someone there hassled us.

This year, we chose a large balcony cabin with the sofa sleeper and extra Pullman bed from the ceiling as we realized we could swing this from a space standpoint and save a couple of thousand dollars. Plus, it gives us the option to bid on a Haven Aft balcony or two bedroom which have "fair" bids of about the $2000+ we saved right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It seems even connecting cabins are no longer being allowed for minors only, NCL specifically removed that from their booking policy and FAQ (some older bookings may still exist as some were booked that way on my cruise in December). I have seen several recent posters saying they were no longer allowed to book only minors in a connecting cabin.

Old rule from Freestyle page:

Norwegian Cruise Line’s policy dictates that a minor or young adult must be accompanied in the same stateroom (or connecting stateroom) by a passenger 21 years of age or older at the time of boarding.

New rule from the FAQ page:

Norwegian Cruise Lines policy dictates that a minor or young adult under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom by a guest 21 years of age or older at the time of boarding.

It would not surprise me if exemptions were still being made quietly, as they used to do for suites.

I just got off the phone with an NCL cruise consultant. It turns out, he had left me a message earlier (introducing himself as my "personal" cruise consultant) because I had put a reservation on hold. He said that I could book 2 rooms--either connecting or adjoining--without a problem. He said that the only piece that NCL has changed is that they no longer will let people book kids into an inside cabin (he said that the company used to allow that for a short time). I wish I had had this thread pulled up at the time I was talking to him, as I would have liked to have asked him directly about the change to the FAQ. I will probably shoot him a quick e-mail to follow up.

In the meantime, I put a deposit down on aft balcony 9918 since those aft balconies (especially the large ones) will go fast. Feel a little funny doing so, as I hadn't even decided for sure that we are taking this cruise and also am not positive that I wouldn't have to shift the dates by a week.

• 4 years later...

Came here looking for this information, sorry to dig up such an old thread, but seems that the policy has changed again. It now states

Norwegian Cruise Line's policy dictates that a minor or young adult under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom (or a connecting/adjoining stateroom) by a guest 21 years of age or older at the time of boarding.

So it would seem to me that I'm allowed to put my 2 kids into a connecting/adjoining room, but NOT into an inside room across the hall (I'm assuming that's not considered adjoining?)

49 minutes ago, WindyCs said:

Came here looking for this information, sorry to dig up such an old thread, but seems that the policy has changed again. It now states

Norwegian Cruise Line's policy dictates that a minor or young adult under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom (or a connecting/adjoining stateroom) by a guest 21 years of age or older at the time of boarding.

So it would seem to me that I'm allowed to put my 2 kids into a connecting/adjoining room, but NOT into an inside room across the hall (I'm assuming that's not considered adjoining?)

This is new, we always got 2 connecting cabins and were not able to book our 19 and 20 year olds in the connecting cabin.

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

This is new, we always got 2 connecting cabins and were not able to book our 19 and 20 year olds in the connecting cabin.

The inconsistency with this issue has been going on for years. At one point, NCL had 3 different stipulations for minors depending on where you were looking on the NCL site.

Sometimes, you will see "...must be in the same stateroom...".

Sometimes, you will see "...must be in the same or connecting stateroom...".

Sometimes, you will see "...must be in the same, connecting, or side by side stateroom...".

The PCCs will just read whatever they see...depending on where they are looking.

On 2/2/2017 at 11:04 PM, lmintzer said:

That is not  ADJOINING room that is CONNECTING rooms.  ADJOINING only means they are next to each other.  CONNECTING means there is a door between the two cabin connecting them.  If you ask for adjoining rooms you will most li9kely not get what you want.

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

The inconsistency with this issue has been going on for years. At one point, NCL had 3 different stipulations for minors depending on where you were looking on the NCL site.

Sometimes, you will see "...must be in the same stateroom...".

Sometimes, you will see "...must be in the same or connecting stateroom...".

Sometimes, you will see "...must be in the same, connecting, or side by side stateroom...".

The PCCs will just read whatever they see...depending on where they are looking.

I know, I tried several different PCC’s too, it really messed with our free at sea choices (wasted on the soda package the kids got when we got the drink package). That was around the time of the UBP perk, on previous cruises we were allowed for them to be listed as primary passengers in our connecting cabins.

What we have always done is book one adult and one kid in each room, then once onboard ask for extra keycards and trade, so parents are in one room, kids in the other. The room stewards seem quite accustomed to this. 

doesn’t work if you’re a single parent, but if you have two adults, it’s easy. 

18 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

That is not  ADJOINING room that is CONNECTING rooms.  ADJOINING only means they are next to each other.  CONNECTING means there is a door between the two cabin connecting them.  If you ask for adjoining rooms you will most li9kely not get what you want.

The OP asked this question in 2017 and thanked posters for pointing out the difference.  This is an old thread.