Royal Princess 'upgrade' not too good

Diver2014

I have never posted a negative topic on CC before but maybe I'm naive. We booked a 10 day cruise on Royal Princess for March thru our Princess consultant. Yesterday, we received an email from Princess, not her, stating that we had been upgraded from a balcony to a mini suite. That's fine but if Princess thinks being bumped to 3 decks below our original cabin, from the front to almost the rear of the ship, directly across the hall from the self service laundry and directly above a lifeboat, and without our knowledge I might add, then they can keep their so called upgrade. We did not ask for an upgrade (our cruise consultant told me that I had checked a box online saying they could upgrade us but I have as yet been unable to locate this on their website - perhaps someone could enlighten me?) Needless to say, after spending a night irritated about their upgrade, I was able to contact our cruise consultant and get our previous cabin back. I don't know why this irritated me so much but it did. I checked online and it appears the mini suite on deck 9 (the so called upgrade) is the same square footage as the balcony cabin we originally chose on deck 12. Am I missing something? Apparently moving from one category to a more expensive category is an 'upgrade' according to Princess, after all, they were giving us a mini suite for the price of our balcony at no extra charge. Problem is, the location of the upgrade was an insult as far as I am concerned. Sorry, I just need to get over it because we did get our original cabin back....but still.......

Glad you were able to get your cabin back. On Princess they can change your cabin UNLESS you mark it no upgrade. I don't know if there is something on their website. You can call them after booking to have them mark it. As for being by the laundry... we have been there 2x and LOVED it. It was quiet yet easy for us to do OUR laundry.

Alternatively, once you are confirmed in an upgraded cabin, you can then switch your cabin to another of the same category without charge. It might still be towards the aft of the ship but you might be able to get away from the laundry (IMHO, being by the laundry hasn't been an issue for us).

A mini-suite is bigger than a balcony so don't

know how your room was the same size.

When you get an e-mail upgrade you have 48hrs

to change it.

To each their there own but I would of taken the

mini, bigger room, sofa, 2 TV's and tub.

OP

On the Royal Princess , there are no Mini-suites across from the laundromat on any deck ???? Just Balcony cabins ????

Just what Mini-suite cabin # were you "almost" upgraded to ?

You wanted high & forward (unusual request) and received lower and Aft (popular for ride in ruff seas).

You must "decline" upgrade with whomever you booked with . You won't see or be able to request it online .

Just some information on Princess' long standing practices.

There are no mini suites on deck 9, so you probably just were upgraded from a lower balcony cat. cabin to a higher balcony cat. cabin. All bookings default to 'upgrade accepted' unless the customer specifically states 'no upgrade.' Even then there is always a possibility that your cabin will change. It is in their passenger contract. When booking on line there is no method to select 'no upgrade'. This must be done verbally either directly with Princess, if booked direct, or through your T.A..

Princess almost never informs in advance regarding upgrades, providing their customers with the option to accept or refuse. They have been operating this way as long as I can remember. Maybe their is a good business reason for this practice, but I just think it is poor customer service.

If you learn Princess' systems you probably will not be surprised in the future.

Glad you were able to get your cabin back. On Princess they can change your cabin UNLESS you mark it no upgrade. I don't know if there is something on their website. You can call them after booking to have them mark it. As for being by the laundry... we have been there 2x and LOVED it. It was quiet yet easy for us to do OUR laundry.

There's nothing on the website that you can "check". The default is "accept upgrade".

To get it changed you have to call Princess or your TA depending on how you booked.

The choices are accept upgrade, no upgrade and meta upgrade (which is an upgrade to a different category cabin (i.e. inside to OV, balcony to mini).

The OP may be getting confused by the slightly larger size of the deluxe balcony cabins on deck 9, assuming they are mini-suites.

I believe you have the answer. There are no minis on Deck 9 but there are Deluxe Balcony cabins right near the laundry. There are no minis anywhere near a laundry anywhere on the ship.

A bit off topic but.............

Anyone know why I was able to "upgrade" myself from a mini on the CB to a window suite when one popped up way after final payment, AND get the fare difference refunded back to my credit card? They were offering the window suite (with full perks) for less than I paid for my mini located aft near the laundry room. Now mind you it's the first one, and it's a bit smaller than the other 6 but still..................

So was I upgraded or downgraded.............???

Just asking, but boy am I HAPPY!!

My TA ROCKS !!

SM

A bit off topic but.............

Anyone know why I was able to "upgrade" myself from a mini on the CB to a window suite when one popped up way after final payment, AND get the fare difference refunded back to my credit card? They were offering the window suite (with full perks) for less than I paid for my mini located aft near the laundry room. Now mind you it's the first one, and it's a bit smaller than the other 6 but still..................

So was I upgraded or downgraded.............???

Just asking, but boy am I HAPPY!!

My TA ROCKS !!

SM

Don't know the answer but I have been in WS several times although not the smaller one. Just make sure the door to the hallway is closed so you don't get smoke smell and you should be fine. They are really nice cabins.

Me thinks thou dost protest too much.

I don't get it:

Upgrades were allowed on your booking

You actually did get a better location and therefore an upgrade. AND it was just not location

Even then, you are allowed to deny the upgrade... and you got your original cabin back.

So what type of responses were you expecting? Or, what are you warning others about?

And just think about the passenger that did get that cabin, or one nearby... they likely had to pay more than what you did.

I'm curious since I seem to be missing the reason for your rant.

It's all a matter of personal preference. We've been on 31 cruises and we prefer to be near the bow of the ship, as high up as possible without breaking the bank

and without having lifeboats dangling beneath our balcony. We also prefer to be on the starboard side of the ship. Reasons? Just because. And due to experience on previous cruises, when people were doing their laundry in the self service laundry all hours of the night (maybe the machines weren't noisy but the people sure were!) we prefer not to be close to that. We all have our quirky little preferences. As to there not being a mini suite on Deck 9, probably not. It was our Princess cruise consultant who referred to our 'upgrade' as a mini suite. I didn't bother to check....it was Cabin D623 if anyone wants to look it up. You would assume a Princess Cruise Consultant would know which cabins are just balcony and which are mini suite but she definitely told me D623 was a mini suite. Whatever. When I checked online, both the cabin we had (and now have again) and that supposed mini suite showed 222 square footage. So what maybe sounded like an awful upgrade to me may have suited some of you folks, that's fine, no argument. I just think that moving from Deck 12 to Deck 9 would be considered a downgrade.

The only balcony cabins way forward on deck 12 and 222 sq. ft. are category BE so it appears you were upgraded from a BE to a BB, which is technically an upgrade. But this is a good example of why we always suggest that if you want a specific location don't book a guarantee (I know this is not what you did) and have your TA mark your booking "no upgrade;" Princess' idea of what is an upgrade may not be the same as yours.

Upgrades on Princess ships tend to move passengers to unwanted or undesirable cabins that cannot be sold. The only good upgrade is if it is to a full suite which is very rare but does happen.

I personally would avoid anything called mini-suite on Princess and just stick to a balcony or full suite. The mini-suite is not so much of a suite and it would not even compare to a 2 star hotel room to say the least.

Always check the deck plans before accepting upgrades.

Me thinks thou dost protest too much.

I don't get it:

Upgrades were allowed on your booking

You actually did get a better location and therefore an upgrade. AND it was just not location

Even then, you are allowed to deny the upgrade... and you got your original cabin back.

So what type of responses were you expecting? Or, what are you warning others about?

And just think about the passenger that did get that cabin, or one nearby... they likely had to pay more than what you did.

I'm curious since I seem to be missing the reason for your rant.

Redwing,

This was no RANT. Re-Read the post and you will see that I initiated the move and was allowed to do so with a partial refund of my cruise fare.

I was simply asking what kind of "upgrade" gets a lower fare and refund?

I am thrilled that I was able to snag this cabin when it became available, AND get some money back to boot!

I am VERY happy with this booking and Princess has outdone themselves in customer satisfaction as far as I am concerned.....

SM

Redwing,

This was no RANT. Re-Read the post and you will see that I initiated the move and was allowed to do so with a partial refund of my cruise fare.

I was simply asking what kind of "upgrade" gets a lower fare and refund?

I am thrilled that I was able to snag this cabin when it became available, AND get some money back to boot!

I am VERY happy with this booking and Princess has outdone themselves in customer satisfaction as far as I am concerned.....

SM

I believe the poster was referring to the OP, not to your post.

It's all a matter of personal preference. We've been on 31 cruises and we prefer to be near the bow of the ship, as high up as possible without breaking the bank

and without having lifeboats dangling beneath our balcony. We also prefer to be on the starboard side of the ship. Reasons? Just because. And due to experience on previous cruises, when people were doing their laundry in the self service laundry all hours of the night (maybe the machines weren't noisy but the people sure were!) we prefer not to be close to that. We all have our quirky little preferences. As to there not being a mini suite on Deck 9, probably not. It was our Princess cruise consultant who referred to our 'upgrade' as a mini suite. I didn't bother to check....it was Cabin D623 if anyone wants to look it up. You would assume a Princess Cruise Consultant would know which cabins are just balcony and which are mini suite but she definitely told me D623 was a mini suite. Whatever. When I checked online, both the cabin we had (and now have again) and that supposed mini suite showed 222 square footage. So what maybe sounded like an awful upgrade to me may have suited some of you folks, that's fine, no argument. I just think that moving from Deck 12 to Deck 9 would be considered a downgrade.

D623 is a regular balcony cabin. No mini's on Dolphin deck. :confused: