Dispelling a myth

aquidneck1

I don't have a clue, but we did see the list. :confused:

Quite upsetting if we had been told something falsely. Again, the server did not try to push us into "buying up", so I don't know why he would have told us that, and shown us a menu that was missing the PG.

Unless... Perhaps the PG was sold out from the cruise before and the re-stocking had not yet reached the restaurants. Remember this happened right after embarkation for us.The Pinot Grigio was available on the Prestige Package and we had it every evening with dinner until the last night when we were told it was all gone.

Now I am wondering if I should call Oceania and make an inquiry. As I mentioned, we drank more than we normally would have if we had just had the House Select package. We had planned on buying a few drinks outside of the HS package, if we felt the need. But not nearly as many as we ended up drinking with the Prestige package.:rolleyes:

Is it me, or do other readers find this logic to be flawed (and possibly self centred).....

Our experience is that if we have to be on first tender because we have tour guide waiting we get on the first tender

The destination staff will try to discriminate against those with private tours. Don't let them

Firstly, there is a distinction between "...we HAVE to be on first tender..." and ""...we WANT to be on first tender..."

Secondly, why not avoid stress by focusing on those things that you can control - vs influence. In particular, why not allow some contingency when you choose the time to meet your guide.

The essence of this argument is that Oceania tours get "preferential treatment" over independent tours. The irony is that by "escalating" (aka queue jumping) the intent is to seek preferential treatment for independent tours over Oceania tours.

At times I feel sorry for those passengers on organised tours. Despite paying a premium, they are at the mercy of factors outside of their control including:

• Passengers turning up late to the theatre
  • Being delayed by independent passengers who have chosen to "educate the excursion dept" or "go up the food chain"
  • Fellow passengers who are slow returning to the meting point

It could be argued that these are the the passengers who are "discriminated" against.

Finally, using a reductio ad absurdum logical argument. Assume:

• There is a need to use tenders at a port
  • and every guest demands to be on the first tender
  • and every guest will "escalate their case" to ensure this occurs

Then only logical outcome would be have a tender capable of holding every passenger...(which raises another question about why the port required tenders...)

However, being constructive, there is an easy solution. If this issue is a major problem for somebody, then I suggest they only choose itineraries that do not involve tendering. Problem solved.....happy cruisers, happy destinations staff :)

Disclaimer: We take a mix of private tours and Oceania tours. In each situation we find that "going with the flow" and planning ahead works well.

We've not had a problem getting Oceania tenders when we have independent arrangements. Get to the lounge early, often independents get off before the tours.

Easter Island is unique as local regulations only allow one tender in the water at any time. Last spring we were independents and arrived very early to get ashore early. Our group was to be on the second tender. However the captain aborted the port altogether due to rough seas, very disappointing to say the least.

We are 0 for 2 at Easter Island.

We've not had a problem getting Oceania tenders when we have independent arrangements. Get to the lounge early, often independents get off before the tours.

Easter Island is unique as local regulations only allow one tender in the water at any time. Last spring we were independents and arrived very early to get ashore early. Our group was to be on the second tender. However the captain aborted the port altogether due to rough seas, very disappointing to say the least.

We are 0 for 2 at Easter Island.

Be careful what you wish for-

We were once on a HAL cruise which landed us at Easter Island and then couldn't get us back off again!

We waited 10 miserable hours for the tide to cooperate and re-float our tenders.

I still feel that sunburn on my neck when I get cranky.

We are currently on our first Oceania cruise. We signed up for the basic drink package and after 5 days on board could not be more pleased. We normally do most of our drinking with meals. So, we have not purchased the upgraded drink package. We might have a drink in our room or purchase a drink before dinner if we want more.

Most importantly all of the wine stewards are very attentive, they will discuss the wines, let us taste the wine, and most importantly keep our glasses full. There are no short pours and there is no difficulty changing wines during the course of the meal. They do collect our cards every time we have a meal with wine.

Overall, great cruise on the Sirena in a PH. Room is beautiful, staff great and food excellent.

Would like to see softer towels and outlets beside the beds. We very much dislike the tender ticket system which favors the cruise tours and prevents independent groups from easily disembarking.

After reading all of the posts regarding alcohol packages, I worried about my choice. Hopefully this will help others with their decisions.

Glad to see you are enjoying Oceania. We believe it is the best cruise company and have cruised with Oceania for the last 3 years and have 4 cruises booked for this year. I am a non drinker and find that Oceania offer the best deal for non drinkers, its all free. This includes all non alcoholic beverages, canned soft drinks and in room refrigerators stocked with bottled water and soft drinks. Have been on other cruise lines and non drinkers have to pay for bottled water, canned soft drinks and non alcoholic cocktails. All that is free is post mix soft drink. Not to my liking.

I am like you also find the towels in the rooms to be a bit hard, easy to overcome that is use the pool towels which are larger and softer. Your room attendant will also leave you these in your room if you ask or you may get them from the pool yourself.

The tender system ticketing is no different to other cruise lines. Company tours get first preference but at times independant travellers are also able to get one of the earlier tenders, all depends on how many going on the tours. They always try to fill each tender, so add independant travellers where available space. Hope this also helps others trying to choose a cruise line.

Sallie and Vince, Great getting to know you on the cruise! Wish we had been able to spend a little more time with you.

I personally loved both the bed and the towels on the Marina! Of course now I am in the process of strict dieting to lose the pounds I managed to gain while on the cruise LOL

Very much looking forward to our 10 day cruise in April on the Regatta!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Personally, I would never be rude to the staff. I mentioned the issue in my mid cruise evaluation and I have received several calls. I certainly do not want exceptions made for me personally but we are all in agreement that a better mixing would help in some tender ports. I could not ask for more.

Good idea to ask for the beach towels. Problem solved.

Outlet beside the bed- it must be the small European one. I don't have that adapter - just the lager one that fits the one by the mirror. Next time I will bring one.

Thanks for everyone's input. We hahad an exceptional cruise here in Tahiti. So glad that I chose Oceania for this itinerary.

On our first Oceania cruise we had no plans to go ashore at Georgetown (Cayman Islands) which was a tender port. Our Butler (Churchill the wonder man!) told us we should but I said we would have to queue for a tender as tours go first...he said - No! show your Worldcard (Oceania Suite = gold) and you have priority. so we did - and we did. So it is not only the tour groups organised by Oceania who go first. It is also those in the top suites...

On our first Oceania cruise we had no plans to go ashore at Georgetown (Cayman Islands) which was a tender port. Our Butler (Churchill the wonder man!) told us we should but I said we would have to queue for a tender as tours go first...he said - No! show your Worldcard (Oceania Suite = gold) and you have priority. so we did - and we did. So it is not only the tour groups organised by Oceania who go first. It is also those in the top suites...

So there are "classes" aboard. Poor people in the inside cabins, they barely get off before it is departure time again? :)

We only book suites and have often toured with friends who only book insides. We all get off the ship together and on the first tender if we need to.

You can get a priority tender ticket if you are booked in a suite. We have never needed one

Again. I repeat. You can be first even if you are not on an oceania tour

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh please don't let SWSNBN read this.

They seem to have added more tender tickets for independent excursions. Problem solved for our trip. We are in PH but traveling with others who are not. No one has mentioned suite privileges.

I believe Gerry did in post #35

I think only the top suites OS, OC, VS get special tender privileges

Recently returned from a cruise on Riviera and when my sister went to pick up a tender ticket for St Bart's, the crew member in the theater saw her suite card and said that suite holders didn't need a tender ticket and that she should just go down to the tender area, show her card, and she'd get right on the tender. And that's exactly what happened.

A good butler can get u a priority tender ticket. You need not be in a top suite

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is true, but if you are in a Suite above penthouse Level, the Room Key itself should be sufficient to get priority tender status.

There are only ten of those Suites on the R ships and 17 on the O class, so it is a pleasant perquisite which does not upset the apple cart.

That is true, but if you are in a Suite above penthouse Level, the Room Key itself should be sufficient to get priority tender status.

There are only ten of those Suites on the R ships and 17 on the O class, so it is a pleasant perquisite which does not upset the apple cart.

I count 23 on the O ships.

We ran into major discrimination against independent tours in St. Petersburg. Several hours before independent passengers could meet with private guides. No tendering involved but long lines to get passports checked by only one attendant. We were not allowed to leave the ship until ship tours had left. After first day, not a problem.

We ran into major discrimination against independent tours in St. Petersburg. Several hours before independent passengers could meet with private guides. No tendering involved but long lines to get passports checked by only one attendant. We were not allowed to leave the ship until ship tours had left. After first day, not a problem.

Isn't it easy to claim "discrimination"?

Rather than jumping to conclusions, it might be worthwhile reading this background information provided by St Petersburg for cruise ship visitors:

Russian tourist visa waiver for liners tour participants

Russian Tourist Visas are not required for liners tour passengers participating on their liners organised tour. All passengers who elect to participate on a their liners' tour in St. Petersburg, including Private Vehicle tours and the tour to Moscow, may disembark the ship for their tour without a Russian Tourist Visa provided they present the following to Russian Immigration:

• A valid passport.

• A liner's tour ticket.

Passengers who wish to sightsee outside of a liner's tour MUST obtain an individual Russian Tourist Visa before leaving home; visas cannot be obtained during the cruise. Should you wish to obtain an individual Russian Tourist Visa, you will need to be sponsored by a licensed Russian tour company. This company will provide you with the necessary Visa Support Letter and documentation to obtain your individual Russian Tourist Visa. After obtaining this information, it is necessary for you to contact the visa service of your choice or the Russian Embassy for the procedures to obtain the visa.
Passengers on their liner's tours (visa requirements waived) will be disembarked first upon arrival in St. Petersburg; passengers with individual Russian Tourist Visas will disembark after the tour passengers
and must present the following to Russian Immigration:

• A valid passport.

• Russian Tourist Visa

• A voucher confirming service arranged by the Russian tour company sponsoring visa

Refer to the following site for more details: www.petersburgcity.com/petersburgcity.com/for-tourists/visa/cruises

We visited St Petersburg with Viking Oceans and had no problem. The independent tours walked off the ship through passport control and met our various guides. The ship tours went after the independents.

Isn't it easy to claim "discrimination"?

Rather than jumping to conclusions, it might be worthwhile reading this background information provided by St Petersburg for cruise ship visitors:

Refer to the following site for more details:

Sorry, but the information in the site you've provided is flat out wrong for visitors arriving by ocean-going cruise ship. It perpetuates the scare tactics that all cruise lines use.

Not true:
"Passengers who wish to sightsee outside of a liner's tour MUST obtain an individual Russian Tourist Visa before leaving home."

Reality:
A cruiser who arrives/departs by ocean liner, sleeps on the ship, and stays fewer than 72 hours is entitled to visit St Petersburg
visa free
under the following additional conditions: they book a tour with a licensed tour company and remain with their tour guide during their time ashore.

Not true:
"Should you wish to obtain an individual Russian Tourist Visa, you will need to be sponsored by a licensed Russian tour company. This company will provide you with the necessary Visa Support Letter and documentation to obtain your individual Russian Tourist Visa. After obtaining this information, it is necessary for you to contact the visa service of your choice or the Russian Embassy for the procedures to obtain the visa"

Reality:
A Russian Tourist visa is required only for cruise visitors who wish to tour the city at will unaccompanied by any licensed tour guide.

The cruisers who book a tour directly with a licensed tour company submit identifying information to the tour company who, in turn, submits it to the appropriate government agency. When the information has been registered with the government, the tour company will send the cruisers a tour ticket which specifies the days and time they may legally go ashore in the company of the licensed tour guide. When cruisers are ready to go ashore, they present the originals of the passports and the tour tickets to passport control who confirms the information printed on the ticket. Cruisers then legally enter St Petersburg without having visited a consulate to get the kind of Russian Tourist visa mentioned above.

Here is a web site that offers the best explanation of the three ways to visit St Petersburg, including some not so subtle digs at the web sites and cruise line letters who would have people think there are only two ways to visit.

Baandb's web site is similarly wrong on the claim that ship's tour passengers have priority to disembark before private tour passengers. This is something a ship may try to impose on its own passengers to drive up sales of ship's excursions, but that policy does not reflect Russian regulations. In fact, the Russian tour company we used -- along with other licensed Russian companies -- will provide a letter to their private clients to show to any ship's personnel who try to hold them from disembarking at will. We simply arranged to meet our guide early enough that we beat the ship tour groups. The ship's groups were still assembling in the lounge when we departed the ship. With no customers from the excursions, there was no reason to hinder us especially since the captain announced "All passengers may exit at will" on arrival morning in St Petersburg.

Was this on an Oceania cruise? I know for a long time Princess was guilty of this behavior. Before visiting st. Petersburg on Nautica, we were worried about this practice. We had a letter from our private Russian tour company which basically said "don't try to hold up our clients. It's against Russian regulations."

Ultimately, we didn't need this since Nautica's Captain clearly said everyone may depart the ship at will when he made the morning announcement the first morning in St Petersburg.

We had no problems on Oceania with this issue. We disembarked, met our guide and started touring. This was in Murmansk, solovetsky islands and Arkhangelsk

We had no problems on celebrity in St. Petersburg 5 years ago

What cruise line does this nowadays?

Sent from my iPad using Forums