I was confused - Quantum Class vs Oasis Class

leela14

So I just booked my husband and I on the Anthem out of NJ. When I booked it I thought it was like the Navigator on steroids with a Promenade but a bigger ship with more stuff.

Only today I realized the Oasis class were the really big boys and saw videos of the the promenade and all the greenery - is is Central Park?

So now I'm wondering if I should look for cruises on an Oasis class instead.

Has anyone sailed both and could you give me some feedback? The solarium, iFly and North Star look amazing as do the shows on Anthem but I'm just worried about missing the promenade and size of the Oasis class. Does ANTHEM feel bigger than Navigator?

As well we were going to drive to Jersey from Canada but would have to fly to Florida for the other cruises.

Would really appreciate input! Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So I just booked my husband and I on the Anthem out of NJ. When I booked it I thought it was like the Navigator on steroids with a Promenade but a bigger ship with more stuff.

Only today I realized the Oasis class were the really big boys and saw videos of the the promenade and all the greenery - is is Central Park?

So now I'm wondering if I should look for cruises on an Oasis class instead.

Has anyone sailed both and could you give me some feedback? The solarium, iFly and North Star look amazing as do the shows on Anthem but I'm just worried about missing the promenade and size of the Oasis class. Does ANTHEM feel bigger than Navigator?

As well we were going to drive to Jersey from Canada but would have to fly to Florida for the other cruises.

Would really appreciate input! Thanks!

I have sailed on both and prefer Oasis to Anthem but am sailing Anthem again in two weeks.

Anthem does not have a Royal Promenade, but it does have an Esplanade which is similar, just shorter and narrower.

The two classes are very different. Anthem was built for a northern port and has its sports court inside the Sea Plex and a indoor family pool in addition to the Solarium, where Oasis is built for the warmer climates with Central Park, Boardwalk and all its outdoor pools.

Anthem is a big ship, just not as big as Oasis.

There are some really good videos of Anthem here on Cruise Critic that should ease your fears. It is a beautiful ship, just very different than any other class.

I have sailed on both and prefer Oasis to Anthem but am sailing Anthem again in two weeks.

Anthem does not have a Royal Promenade, but it does have an Esplanade which is similar, just shorter and narrower.

The two classes are very different. Anthem was built for a northern port and has its sports court inside the Sea Plex and a indoor family pool in addition to the Solarium, where Oasis is built for the warmer climates with Central Park, Boardwalk and all its outdoor pools.

Anthem is a big ship, just not as big as Oasis.

There are some really good videos of Anthem here on Cruise Critic that should ease your fears. It is a beautiful ship, just very different than any other class.

I've watched a dozen videos on Anthem and was blown away until I found out there was no Promenade. I have a fascination with HUGE ships. Biggest we did so far was Navigator and loved it. Did celebrity silhouette - meh, also NCL Jewel I think it was.

Celebrity and NCL were Med cruises though so those cruises were about ports. For us Caribbean is more about the ship. Also did RCCL Radiance class and didnt like it.

What about the Royal Promenade are you looking for that you are afraid you won't get from the Esplanade. There is a Cafe Promenade and Sorrentos on the Esplanade. There is also the Patisserie and Micheals Brew Pub. There are a bunch of shops, higher end ones than Navigator. I am sure I am missing other things.

What about the Royal Promenade are you looking for that you are afraid you won't get from the Esplanade. There is a Cafe Promenade and Sorrentos on the Esplanade. There is also the Patisserie and Micheals Brew Pub. There are a bunch of shops, higher end ones than Navigator. I am sure I am missing other things.

That's a fine question! I guess I liked the "mall" feeling of it - stores, coffee shops, just a cool place to stroll or hang out if I don't feel like being poolside or being active. Is the esplanade similar? I didn't see anything about that in the Anthem videos. Saw solarium, pools, restaurants, activities, entertainment but nothing about the esplanade.

We really missed it on the Radiance class and the other cruise lines.

That's a fine question! I guess I liked the "mall" feeling of it - stores, coffee shops, just a cool place to stroll or hang out if I don't feel like being poolside or being active. Is the esplanade similar? I didn't see anything about that in the Anthem videos. Saw solarium, pools, restaurants, activities, entertainment but nothing about the esplanade.

We really missed it on the Radiance class and the other cruise lines.

Yes, it is similar, just smaller. You can get coffee in Cafe Promenade or the Patisserie. Sorrentos is bigger on Anthem than it is on Navigator. Lots of high end stores.

You can walk to the Via too where there are bizarre chairs, hammocks and couches shaped like onion baskets. There are rocking chairs too. Vintages is also there. Head on to Two70 and you are going to say, why was I concerned! It is a gorgeous lounge with a really delicious cafe. There are huge window overlooking the wake of the ship. Great place to sit and read or see a show.

Yes, it is similar, just smaller. You can get coffee in Cafe Promenade or the Patisserie. Sorrentos is bigger on Anthem than it is on Navigator. Lots of high end stores.

You can walk to the Via too where there are bizarre chairs, hammocks and couches shaped like onion baskets. There are rocking chairs too. Vintages is also there. Head on to Two70 and you are going to say, why was I concerned! It is a gorgeous lounge with a really delicious cafe. There are huge window overlooking the wake of the ship. Great place to sit and read or see a show.

Awesome thanks same much!! I'm going to see if I can find some videos. Thanks again!

You're welcome.:)

Not sure if you saw the video in this thread, it is great.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2451538

There is also a poster named Hallasm or something close to that who made lots of Anthem and Quantum videos.

Edit:

I found him:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=52259290#post52259290

You're welcome.:)

Not sure if you saw the video in this thread, it is great.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2451538

There is also a poster named Hallasm or something close to that who made lots of Anthem and Quantum videos.

Edit:

I found him:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=52259290#post52259290

Awesome thanks!! I can't get that first one to load for some reason. Up will check out the others!

I have been on both Allure and Oasis and also on Quantum! I much preferred the Oasis class. Reallyit'smema explains how we felt on the differences of the 2 classes. Everyone needs to do each class and pick there favorite. I felt the Quantum class felt cold. The Oasis class felt cozier. Have fun with which ever you decide.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't recall Navigator having Sorrentos. Maybe I just missed it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't they have Sorrentos pizza inside Cafe promenade? They did on Mariner.

They have pizza slices in Voyager class Cafe Promenades, but I don't recall any mention of Sorrento's. No whole pizzas either, like Sorrento's has.

Anthem was OK but the Oasis class is out of this world. The Esplanade on Anthem does not begin to compare to the Promenade on an Oasis class ship. The Promenade is much larger and airier. It also has the Rising tide bar in it and they have spectacular parades and shows in the Promenade. The Esplanade, by comparison, is cramped and crowded. Additionally, Oasis class has Central Park and Boardwalk with the Aqua Theater. Both are really beautiful open areas. Oasis class also has an ice-skating rink and show. The only problem with going on an Oasis class ship is that it will spoil you for all the other classes.

So, the big difference is the Oasis class has two flowrider, and Central Park and a big promenade and a bar that goes up and down. The Anthem class is slightly smaller, but it has a sorta promenade that winds side to side (actually longer) an IFly a Northstar, bumper cars and a single flowrider.

anthem is smaller and Oasis is the biggest but they are both wonderful.

I love the flowrider, so 2 is better, I love the IFly so 1 is way better.

JC

I've spent hours watching videos and no doubt the promenade and Central Park are gorgeous but I love the activities on Anthem - already signed up for iFly and North Star and I like the look of the shows on Anthem better too, and the solarium and 270.

And we like the idea of driving to the port so I think we will stick with Anthem this time.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, most appreciated.

I have been on Oasis class ships for 27 nights and Quantum class ships for 42 nights. I like both but in my book Quantum class is the better experience. On Quantum you have venues like Seaplex, the indoor pool, the music hall and 270 which are all unique and different. On Oasis you have a huge promenade which sort of looks like a mall but to me this look is getting dated. The Royal Esplanade is smaller but feels more modern. I do love Central Park and the Aqua theater on Oasis class though. I also wish that Quantum class ships had a dedicated comedy club. But iFly and Northstar and the puzzle room sort of make up for what is missing.

I know it is all a matter of taste but I just wanted you to know that not everyone likes Oasis class better than Quantum class. They are both great classes of ship but you really need to try them to see what appeals to you.

I have been on Oasis class ships for 27 nights and Quantum class ships for 42 nights. I like both but in my book Quantum class is the better experience. On Quantum you have venues like Seaplex, the indoor pool, the music hall and 270 which are all unique and different. On Oasis you have a huge promenade which sort of looks like a mall but to me this look is getting dated. The Royal Esplanade is smaller but feels more modern. I do love Central Park and the Aqua theater on Oasis class though. I also wish that Quantum class ships had a dedicated comedy club. But iFly and Northstar and the puzzle room sort of make up for what is missing.

I know it is all a matter of taste but I just wanted you to know that not everyone likes Oasis class better than Quantum class. They are both great classes of ship but you really need to try them to see what appeals to you.

Thanks for that - I had a moment where I thought I made a huge mistake but I think I'm happy with the decision now. And we can certainly do Oasis class next time, it's not like this is the only shot we have.

We really liked the ultra modern look of the Anthem too, more our speed. Thanks again for your feedback, it helps a lot!

For the life of me I cannot understand why people are so upset that there is an "Esplanade" rather than a "Promenade". #1 its cool RCCL is trying to design something a bit different. #2 I have watched MANY. MANY videos and the Esplanade look like the same thing only designed slightly different. It still includes everything you need in a Promenade. Also by the videos it looks longer, not shorter, I'm talking the length of which you can walk, maybe not the "heart of the Esplanade" but the overall walking distance seems longer. I'll experience it myself in Sept, and have a better idea.

For the life of me I cannot understand why people are so upset that there is an "Esplanade" rather than a "Promenade". #1 its cool RCCL is trying to design something a bit different. #2 I have watched MANY. MANY videos and the Esplanade look like the same thing only designed slightly different. It still includes everything you need in a Promenade. Also by the videos it looks longer, not shorter, I'm talking the length of which you can walk, maybe not the "heart of the Esplanade" but the overall walking distance seems longer. I'll experience it myself in Sept, and have a better idea.

I'm gong in June and will report back. [emoji51]