How To Order a Beer Like a Local

I would rather die of thirst than drink Fosters.

Well to tell the truth I may have a Fosters is there is absolutely no other beer available

That reminds me of a poster I saw in Dublin one time. It showed a horse drinking from a trough labeled Guinness while peeing into a trough labeled Murphy's.

We'll be in the CBD in Perth for a couple of days prior to a cruise. Got any good bar recommendations there?

That reminds me of a poster I saw in Dublin one time. It showed a horse drinking from a trough labeled Guinness while peeing into a trough labeled Murphy's.

We'll be in the CBD in Perth for a couple of days prior to a cruise. Got any good bar recommendations there?

You should take the 'boat' down to Fremantle and check out Little Creatures brewery and restaurant and also the markets.

You should take the 'boat' down to Fremantle and check out Little Creatures brewery and restaurant and also the markets.

If you like wine, perhaps a cruise up the Swan river as well. Wine cruises up to the wineries are very scenic and you really, really enjoy the float back down.:D

fosters is not brewed in Australian market on tap anymore it is only for the overseas market and yes ya may find slabs of fosters lager still

and ya right each to their own

Many British pubs have Fosters Lager on tap, brewed over there. Seen it many times as we stay in a few Brit pubs. The poms seem to like ye old Fossies. The American Princess cruises ships used to have Fosters in the big one pint cans, they call them 'oil cans,' you need an ice bucket to keep the can chilled.

Let me remind people, There are no bad beers, it's just that some are better than others.

Scenario, In a strange outback town, 40°C in the shade, there is only one brand of beer, the electricity has been off for 2 hours so the beer is a bit warm................................................. you'll drink it.:D

Let me remind people, There are no bad beers, it's just that some are better than others.

Scenario, In a strange outback town, 40°C in the shade, there is only one brand of beer, the electricity has been off for 2 hours so the beer is a bit warm................................................. you'll drink it.:D

I get your point but it seems a bit silly to be in the shade, if it is 40 degrees.:rolleyes:

I've been warned about "My Shout" by somebody from Brisbane that I met on a cruise years ago. He said it was a good way to meet a bunch of new friends in a strange bar. Could be costly though.

Thanks to everyone for their tips. I'm taking notes. We'll be in the CBDs in Sydney, Brisbane, Cairns, Darwin, Alice Springs, Adelaide, and Melbourne, so we should have plenty of opportunities to meet new friends and new beers.

The terminology for the different sizes that vary by location may be confusing, so I'll just place one hand about a foot above the bar and ask for one that size. Works all over the world!

if you want the biggest glass of beer just ask for the biggest glass you got they will tell you what they have , i do that for soft drink some let me have it in pints or schooners others have a certain glass for soft drink that they don't put beer in etc

The only beer you need to order is Boags. At a stretch, maybe Cascade.

As a former Tassie girl I may be a little biased :D

I wouldnt say ya biased at all, growing up 800metres away from the oldest working brewery in Australia being Cascade i still enjoy a boags and a cascade at times

Whatever you do, no West End :eek:

Ah, ye olde West End, years ago I had a workmate who loved a beer on a hot day, or any day really. On a pay day we would call in the drive in bottlo where West End was always on 'Special.' '10 cartons of West End please.' Him and his missus drank a carton a day 24 x 375 ml cans and on the weekend they really got into it. Bloody awful stuff.

I would have thought the S.A. Health Dept would have banned West End by now, a health risk.

I wouldnt say ya biased at all, growing up 800metres away from the oldest working brewery in Australia being Cascade i still enjoy a boags and a cascade at times

:D It's that beautiful Tassie water that makes all the difference! Could really go a cold one right now....

The only beer you need to order is Boags. At a stretch, maybe Cascade.

As a former Tassie girl I may be a little biased :D

When I could drink beer, pre 2010, used to like a Boags Premium or Cascade Premium, lubbly jubbly. But Coopers Sparking Ale, Coopers Stout or Coopers Pale Ale were my favourites. Not forgetting a Guinness or three. Also liked NZ Monteith Black Ale.:p

Not had a beer for 7 years except for a Gluten Free one or two, which are all garbage.

:D It's that beautiful Tassie water that makes all the difference! Could really go a cold one right now....

it certainly is back in the hey day they would have used the flowing waters that was cascading down from Mt Wellington. I always look forward to heading back home to see my family and experiencing the new beers that tassie has to offer but always go for a cascade red in Hobart or just a draught on tap or boags if they have it

South Hobart has alot to offer the cruise goer and everything is in close approximity if ya know what ya looking at up there.

Cascade Gardens, the old Womens Prison the old bakehouse (now this is what i do remember as this was oppisite my grandmothers place and loved to wake up early thinking it was nans baking but it was across the road where they was baking the bread and cakes and pies....

it certainly is back in the hey day they would have used the flowing waters that was cascading down from Mt Wellington. I always look forward to heading back home to see my family and experiencing the new beers that tassie has to offer but always go for a cascade red in Hobart or just a draught on tap or boags if they have it

South Hobart has alot to offer the cruise goer and everything is in close approximity if ya know what ya looking at up there.

Cascade Gardens, the old Womens Prison the old bakehouse (now this is what i do remember as this was oppisite my grandmothers place and loved to wake up early thinking it was nans baking but it was across the road where they was baking the bread and cakes and pies....

Love Tassie, was there in Sept for a couple of weeks, in fact been there 6 times in the past 30 years. I would move there, but 'She who shall be obeyed' will not. :(:confused:

Mercury Cider is also very good I agree NSWP. Have been known to knock back some Guinness, LOVELY.

Can't even imagine a gluten free beer, I do feel for you if it's because of medical reasons.

Hope the OP has lots of suggestions from this thread, although his liver may not be thankful.

Mercury Cider is also very good I agree NSWP. Have been known to knock back some Guinness, LOVELY.

Can't even imagine a gluten free beer, I do feel for you if it's because of medical reasons.

Hope the OP has lots of suggestions from this thread, although his liver may not be thankful.

Yep, medical reasons, gluten protein in wheat and barley and beer has all that, makes me crook as Rookwood. Cider does not. Time for another icy cold Mercury.

I'm a Resch's girl, born and bred that way. Hard to find these days, especially on tap. In a pinch I'll settle for a Cascade Light. Not as dry or full bodied but it'll quench your Aussie thirst.

Gawd, Reschs, DA, Dirty Annie we used to call it in the 60's and 70's. Too bitter for me, drank the Tooheys New and KB (Kids Beer) back than, before all the yuppie beers emerged. I remember in the pubs/clubs in NSW in the 60's and 70's, it was Reschs, Tooths or Tooheys, that was it. A Schooner was 15 cents in 1966. What is it now? $5 to $8 depending where you imbibe.

Indeed, SargassoPirate the OP is getting a real Aus beer intro, no charge either, unless we meet him !! Then it is his shout !!!

Love Tassie, was there in Sept for a couple of weeks, in fact been there 6 times in the past 30 years. I would move there, but 'She who shall be obeyed' will not. :(:confused:

i had a 27 year holday there once , you can guess it i should never have given that holiday up

however though i would move back in a heart beat and so would the other half but becuase i am a professional steering wheel attendant there isnt to much work for me there

I have seen every ounce of tassie but when i head back i will always find something i have never seen or done before

Yep, medical reasons, gluten protein in wheat and barley and beer has all that, makes me crook as Rookwood. Cider does not. Time for another icy cold Mercury.

Commiserations NSWP. Wonderful that you can still enjoy cider though. I prefer it on a hot day anyway, especially with crushed ice. And apples are good for you, right?

i had a 27 year holday there once , you can guess it i should never have given that holiday up

however though i would move back in a heart beat and so would the other half but becuase i am a professional steering wheel attendant there isnt to much work for me there

I have seen every ounce of tassie but when i head back i will always find something i have never seen or done before

That's our problem too, work. Nearly took the plunge 20+ years ago. Mrs gut would probably score a job at Port Arthur, but the money wouldn't be great, maybe in a few years when semi retirement beckons.

That's our problem too, work. Nearly took the plunge 20+ years ago. Mrs gut would probably score a job at Port Arthur, but the money wouldn't be great, maybe in a few years when semi retirement beckons.

i am basicly semi retired at 45 , i am lucky ones 2 days on 5 days off and i pick a grand up for those 2 days i aint complaining

but i know Mrs Oz would pick up work in child care and possibly could being a sterring wheel attendant but still not quite ready to head south yet