Are we able to walk off our own luggage or....

Pier290

Do we HAVE to set it out on the last night of the cruise??

We want to get off the ship asap as we are heading to a hotel for the day before our later flight....are we able to just wheel our luggage off ourselves or do we have to wait in a designated spot etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

You can do self-disembarkation, but you must be able to handle your own luggage off the ship. If you get caught in a line, then you may have to cart it back and forth on the deck where the line is as the line snakes through the process. The line may also start on a higher deck, so you also have to be able to cart your luggage down stairs. I mention this because I know you'll have kids with you.

As long as you can manage your luggage you can take it off with you. We ended up taking the stairs most of the time because, unless you are on a top floor, the elevators are often completely full by the time they get to the middle floors. In Tampa they only let you use the escalator if everyone had a free hand to hold the handrail. If you didn't you had to stand in a long line for the elevator in the terminal. But yes, if you have 2 adults with 2 manageable bags with or without kids that can stand in line and follow without their hand being held the whole time; no reason not to walk off. Plus if you are in a hurry the first 30-45 minutes of disembarkation is reserved for walk offs only. Just listen for the announcements for walk off and you can go straight to the gangway.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes you can, [emoji106]

I also believe if you want to do this you have to be among the first off as once they start to call the luggage numbers you won't be able to walk off with luggage so I guess you'd have to wait till it's clear,

I'd recommend getting down inline an hour before scheduled cleared time as the lines do get a bit messy,

I've done this a few times and have always been in the first few off the ship then straight through customs and in a cab in no time [emoji106]

Yes you can, [emoji106]

I'd recommend getting down inline an hour before scheduled cleared time as the lines do get a bit messy,

[emoji106]

This is important to re-inforce. I do walk off all the time, on several different lines, but rest assured, if they say walk off will begin at 7, and you think you will easily get to the gangway at 6:50, you are incorrect.

I always shoot for 45 - 60 minutes earlier than stated as well.

You will be able to get your luggage on the elevator much easier, and will not be fighting the crowds. While I can handle my bags, I certainly would not (could not) take any stairs with them.

Go down to the disembarkation area about 6:45 a.m. or about 45 minutes before. We have done this many times. Usually we're within the first 20 or so people in line with our luggage. Sometimes one of us will go to Cafe al Bacio for a beverage and a muffin and bring it back to the line. Most times however, we just get a bagel or something at the airport (or on the road).

At 6:30 or so the elevators aren't a problem at all, at least in our experience.

I haven't experienced this. We don't go down until they announce self walk off disembarking has begun, and usually not until 15-30 minutes after that (but before they start calling for the next group), and we have never encountered a mess getting off... we have had to carry our bags down the stairs but the line is already moving by then and doesn't take that long.

One thing to remember on this is that during the cruise you will be asked to fill something out that clarifies your disembarking plans and when you need to be off. One option is to self disembark and will give times. Elevators can be a pain if you don't get down early enough, but it is a breeze to get through customs.

See you on the Equinox in April.

On Infinity, Port Everglades the line formed very early...snaked all around the lounge...no one allowed to use the stairs..went in groups into the elevs..They put suite guests ahead of the walk offs ..fairly chaotic but worth it,

In Tampa they only let you use the escalator if everyone had a free hand to hold the handrail. If you didn't you had to stand in a long line for the elevator in the terminal.

I have done self disembarkation a few times and really prefer it. I was surprised how early people lined up!

The point above is something to keep in mind. In Fort Lauderdale, we got off the ship quick, but there is a lineup waiting for the elevator to go down to customs (escalator was also available of you could manage).

I almost tried the escalator with my 26” luggage and carry-on, but decided against it - figured a tumble down the escalator wouldn't be a great way to end a fabulous vacation (for me or the people in front of me)!

I find it very nice not having to put the luggage out the night before, and not having to navigate through all the luggage in numbered zones to find mine in the terminal.

I think there are always minor hassles with disembarkation, so Whatever method you choose, just take a deep breath and recall the wonderful vacation you just had :)

Yes you can, [emoji106]

[emoji106]

This is important to re-inforce. I do walk off all the time, on several different lines, but rest assured, if they say walk off will begin at 7, and you think you will easily get to the gangway at 6:50, you are incorrect.

I always shoot for 45 - 60 minutes earlier than stated as well.

You will be able to get your luggage on the elevator much easier, and will not be fighting the crowds. While I can handle my bags, I certainly would not (could not) take any stairs with them.

I certainly agree on this. The walk-off is done to get off early. I don't mind being an hour early to avoid the stairs and be in line.

Do we HAVE to set it out on the last night of the cruise??

We want to get off the ship asap as we are heading to a hotel for the day before our later flight....are we able to just wheel our luggage off ourselves or do we have to wait in a designated spot etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

It depends, can you handle all of your luggage by yourself? We tried it one year, never again. We had a tough time going down the staircase with four pieces of luggage.