Carnival cruise entertainment

jimbo5544

That goes without saying. As I said I am fine with the entertainment offering for the price that we pay and I really wouldn't want to pay more for "better" entertainment. Why try to make CCL into NCL or RCI?

You just hit on the essence of the initial discussion we had. That said, do you feel that the entertainment on NCL and RCL is better, if so, what about it is better?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Live Musicians - :D

Comedy Clubs - :D

Return of steel bands on deck during day time - :D

Theater shows - :(

Daytime activities - :confused: (mixed)

Port talks (shopping commercials) - :( (this is for all mass market cruise lines; I'd like to have actual port talks that were 30-60 minutes to learn about some of the highlights or historical aspects. If those were tied into excursion sales that is okay.)

I say the entertainment is OK, not great. room for improvement to the nightly shows.

You just hit on the essence of the initial discussion we had. That said, do you feel that the entertainment on NCL and RCL is better, if so, what about it is better?

Can't speak to RCI. NCL seemed to have more production shows during the cruise and didn't have so many shows that involved the passengers (although they of course do have that). I would say NCL's (free/included) entertainment is a little better than CCL's. When we booked our Fascination cruise I also looked at NCL Gem and Gem was $800 more. I don't think NCL is $800 better than CCL (of course I haven't sailed NCL since Del Rio took over and "improved" the line).

Just took a "Behind the Fun" tour on the Inspiration a few days ago and spoke with Leemo, who both runs Playlist Productions on board the Inspiration and performs (if you've been on board the Inspiration recently, he's the tallish guy with the full beard).

A few tidbits:

Carnival used to employ 16 performers on every cruise (split evenly between men and women), but cut back during the Great Recession to only 8.

The breakdown is four men and four women. Two of the men and two of the women will be primarily dancers who can also sing decently, and the others will be primarily singers who can also dance decently.

If you ever see a production with less than eight people, it means either someone's sick or someone just got fired and they haven't had time to train up the replacements yet (they're really big on "The Show Must Go On"). Ditto if you see someone on one show but not the others: either they were fired mid-cruise, or they've just joined and only learned some of the shows so far.* Leemo said that was the case on our cruise, which only had two shows: the first show had six cast members because two had just joined on and didn't know the first show yet. True to Leemo's word, the second show had all eight.

Each cast member wears two earpieces which carry a mixture of all the instruments and the other cast members' voices. Everyone wants their mix different: some only want to hear the instruments, others only want to hear the voices, others want it unique. The sound personnel spend a lot of time working with new performers to find their preferred mix. Leemo liked the instruments in one ear and the guys' voices in the other ear with the women's voices much softer, mostly because the other guys were who he had to harmonize with. Even though the music is all pre-recorded, it's still supplied as multiple tracks.

Unlike Carnival crew members who mostly have to share cabins, Playlist cast members each get their own solo crew cabin. Leemo said it's so they can practice their singing and dancing moves whenever they want without disturbing a roommate.

Teams are assigned for the length of a contract. If the members choose to renew (and are wanted back by Carnival), they're all split up and assigned where needed for their next contract.

*This happened on our Splendor cruise last September. The first night's show was a Billy Joel/Elton John-type show called "88 Keys." The guy who sang lead for the most of the show did a great job: wonderful voice, very charismatic, and related very well with his fellow castmates. The next night, however, he sat down in the front row right next to us. When my GF complimented him on his performance and asked why he was sitting in the audience that night, he replied that he didn't know the other shows yet and was still learning them: watching the full performances was part of the process.

Port talks (shopping commercials) - :( (this is for all mass market cruise lines; I'd like to have actual port talks that were 30-60 minutes to learn about some of the highlights or historical aspects. If those were tied into excursion sales that is okay.)

I say the entertainment is OK, not great. room for improvement to the nightly shows.

Like the icon posting and pretty much agree on all topics mentioned.

Can't speak to RCI. NCL seemed to have more production shows during the cruise and didn't have so many shows that involved the passengers (although they of course do have that). I would say NCL's (free/included) entertainment is a little better than CCL's. When we booked our Fascination cruise I also looked at NCL Gem and Gem was $800 more. I don't think NCL is $800 better than CCL (of course I haven't sailed NCL since Del Rio took over and "improved" the line).

Thanks, them putting the Fascination in San Juan is an interesting decision. It does make comparable somewhat harder as well.

Just took a "Behind the Fun" tour on the Inspiration a few days ago and spoke with Leemo, who both runs Playlist Productions on board the Inspiration and performs (if you've been on board the Inspiration recently, he's the tallish guy with the full beard).

A few tidbits:

Carnival used to employ 16 performers on every cruise (split evenly between men and women), but cut back during the Great Recession to only 8.

The breakdown is four men and four women. Two of the men and two of the women will be primarily dancers who can also sing decently, and the others will be primarily singers who can also dance decently.

If you ever see a production with less than eight people, it means either someone's sick or someone just got fired and they haven't had time to train up the replacements yet (they're really big on "The Show Must Go On"). Ditto if you see someone on one show but not the others: either they were fired mid-cruise, or they've just joined and only learned some of the shows so far.* Leemo said that was the case on our cruise, which only had two shows: the first show had six cast members because two had just joined on and didn't know the first show yet. True to Leemo's word, the second show had all eight.

Each cast member wears two earpieces which carry a mixture of all the instruments and the other cast members' voices. Everyone wants their mix different: some only want to hear the instruments, others only want to hear the voices, others want it unique. The sound personnel spend a lot of time working with new performers to find their preferred mix. Leemo liked the instruments in one ear and the guys' voices in the other ear with the women's voices much softer, mostly because the other guys were who he had to harmonize with. Even though the music is all pre-recorded, it's still supplied as multiple tracks.

Unlike Carnival crew members who mostly have to share cabins, Playlist cast members each get their own solo crew cabin. Leemo said it's so they can practice their singing and dancing moves whenever they want without disturbing a roommate.

Teams are assigned for the length of a contract. If the members choose to renew (and are wanted back by Carnival), they're all split up and assigned where needed for their next contract.

*This happened on our Splendor cruise last September. The first night's show was a Billy Joel/Elton John-type show called "88 Keys." The guy who sang lead for the most of the show did a great job: wonderful voice, very charismatic, and related very well with his fellow castmates. The next night, however, he sat down in the front row right next to us. When my GF complimented him on his performance and asked why he was sitting in the audience that night, he replied that he didn't know the other shows yet and was still learning them: watching the full performances was part of the process.

Excellent post with great insight into what playlist is all about, thanks for posting it.

And of course any increase in the entertainment budget would be passed on as higher fares.

Well....just my experience so far with Carnival (I'm normally a NCL cruiser and have sailed all of their ships but 2 now I believe and love their entertainment)...to date, I have paid MORE for my Carnival cruises than my NCL cruises, with the exception of my last cruise on the Fascination out of PR. When I say more, I'm talking at least $1k more. They have been some of the most expensive cruises I have done to date. However, I really love Carnival and will probably be sailing with them more exclusively in the future because they do seem to offer different ports and I try not to sail the same ship twice and Carnival has quite a few for me to experience. :D

Well....just my experience so far with Carnival (I'm normally a NCL cruiser and have sailed all of their ships but 2 now I believe and love their entertainment)...to date, I have paid MORE for my Carnival cruises than my NCL cruises, with the exception of my last cruise on the Fascination out of PR. When I say more, I'm talking at least $1k more. They have been some of the most expensive cruises I have done to date. However, I really love Carnival and will probably be sailing with them more exclusively in the future because they do seem to offer different ports and I try not to sail the same ship twice and Carnival has quite a few for me to experience. :D

I wasn't comparing cruise line pricing in the post you quoted, I made a statement an increase in the entertainment budget would cause fares to increase across the board (the money has to come from somewhere). My experience is the complete opposite of yours but that's the joy of cruise line pricing, there is something for everyone.

A few tidbits:

Thanks so much for that! It's so cool to know! I really want to do the Behind the Fun tour but haven't wanted to spend that much money on it. Might try to book one on my next cruise since I'm not doing any excursions.

As far as comparing prices goes, you may be taking a lot of it out of context. Everyone tells me how much better all the other cruise lines are than Carnival, so the last couple of times I've booked, I've shopped around and if you compare the prices Carnival is always cheaper. If you compare them by # of days, embarkation port, # of ports and similar itinerary (I can never find Caribbean cruises with the same itinerary), and similar class of ship, Carnival is always cheaper. Carnival does tend to nickel and dime its guests more than other cruise lines but that's also how they can keep their prices down. They keep the overall price down for people who don't participate in those paid activities.

Thanks so much for that! It's so cool to know! I really want to do the Behind the Fun tour but haven't wanted to spend that much money on it. Might try to book one on my next cruise since I'm not doing any excursions.

I have done the Behind the Fun Tour on a couple of Carnival ships and the Behind the Scenes Tour on a few Holland America ships. I learn something new each time. It is worth every penny spent. in my opinion.

As far as comparing prices goes, you may be taking a lot of it out of context. Everyone tells me how much better all the other cruise lines are than Carnival, so the last couple of times I've booked, I've shopped around and if you compare the prices Carnival is always cheaper. If you compare them by # of days, embarkation port, # of ports and similar itinerary (I can never find Caribbean cruises with the same itinerary), and similar class of ship, Carnival is always cheaper. Carnival does tend to nickel and dime its guests more than other cruise lines but that's also how they can keep their prices down. They keep the overall price down for people who don't participate in those paid activities.

No one nickels and dimes more than NCL (and yes, they all do in their own way).

So, what would you want them to do to address that?

On several ships such as Conquest they have Hasbro as evening entertainment in main lounge. Great for a 10 year old kids pathetic for adults. Flyons would be much better.

Used to have love and marriage as afternoon sea day entertainment. Now it is a cheap form of entertainment in main lounge.

Production shows were so much better than playlist production shows. Two of them have been ok rest have been rather pathetic.

Princess gives excellent port talks, tries to sell its excursions but also provides good info.

Maybe I'm missing something here or they do completely different stuff on Australian carnival cruises... I did the transpacific cruise from Honolulu to Sydney last year (yes this is classed as an Australian itinerary despite starting in America) on the Legend. we had the playlist shows (epic rock the brits Motown & studio VIP) at night plus the Hasbro shows and then we had FIFO (Fly in Fly Out) performances including magicians juggling acts hypnotists and singers in the main lounge. These types of FIFO performers are regulars on the Spirit & Legend from what I know. I'm friends with a Juggler who does shows on CCL RCCL & P&O in Australia and he says the want for "Variety acts" especially on Carnival's Australian Cruises are quite high especially on the cruises over 7 days. One thing I do miss (a lot of people say the opposite of this) is the Ships Company Concert where they get guests and staff to show off their hidden talents. Also amateur comedy night too was fun.

Maybe I'm missing something here or they do completely different stuff on Australian carnival cruises... I did the transpacific cruise from Honolulu to Sydney last year (yes this is classed as an Australian itinerary despite starting in America) on the Legend. we had the playlist shows (epic rock the brits Motown & studio VIP) at night plus the Hasbro shows and then we had FIFO (Fly in Fly Out) performances including magicians juggling acts hypnotists and singers in the main lounge. These types of FIFO performers are regulars on the Spirit & Legend from what I know. I'm friends with a Juggler who does shows on CCL RCCL & P&O in Australia and he says the want for "Variety acts" especially on Carnival's Australian Cruises are quite high especially on the cruises over 7 days. One thing I do miss (a lot of people say the opposite of this) is the Ships Company Concert where they get guests and staff to show off their hidden talents. Also amateur comedy night too was fun.

Sounds like it is significantly different. Thanks for replying, need to sail on the Spirit over there...def on our bucket list.

I feel Carnival does ok with the entertainment. I love to read so if I can't find something to do or see, I will just find a quiet spot to read. The only thing that does frustrate me about the shows in the theater is that they have the same show on most Carnival ships and they continue to show them forever without change. We take a cruise about 4 times a year with them on different ships, and it seems like the shows are all the same, just different performers.

Last night with some friends and family, we got into a fairly long discussion about entertainment on a cruise ship, specifically a Carnival cruise ship. It was a very interesting active discussion, so much so, I thought it might be of interest here. What do you value as entertainment on a Carnival cruise? How do you think they are doing in this area?

We've been cruising for a number of years, in fact, my first cruise was in the 80's and DH's was before that. We've cruised with most of the cruise lines over the years, and along with many of the changes we've seen with cruising, entertainment has changed a lot. We've cruised on Carnival Miracle, Legend, Victory and Pride, so I can only speak on those ships. We'll be on Pride for the 5th time in a few weeks in fact. I think on either the Legend or Miracle, they used to have a nice jazz trio outside of the MDR. We enjoyed listening to them before and after dinner. We really miss hearing a nice jazz trio.

More than anything, we miss live music...at the pool, in the lounges, etc. We miss a full orchestra in the showroom. Some, not all of the performers in the big productions on the ship, don't seem to be as talented as they used to be, and the shows themselves are so, so. We cruise now for fun, relaxation. Lately, we don't even go to the showroom. On the last cruise, DH wanted to see the comedian. Off we went, and I was actually falling asleep during the performance, and I couldn't wait until it was over.There's always the Piano Bar, there's DJ's at the pool, but I miss the live band's with the Steel drums, etc.

I think cruise lines today are more interested in capturing the families, and lure them in with a more amusement-like atmosphere on the newer ships. Their bottom line is making money, so supply and demand drives them, and I think for the most part, the days of good production shows, and live music are a memory. But, no matter what changes are made, I think cruising is the only way to go!!!

I think for the most part, the days of good production shows, and live music are a memory.
Have you cruised recently on NCL or RCI? They blow Carnival away with their entertainment. The only thing Carnival does well is comedy and their piano bar, which NCL even trumps with Howl at the Moon.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Each line does something better than the others, if not, they would not all be in business. Carnival lacks quality shows, but still offers great value.

We were on NCL and the shows were bettter but not well attended. If i ran a cruiseline and spent money on shows for half full theater i would move my resources elseware.

Cruise is total package; shows, food, ports, comfort, value, etc.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Have you cruised recently on NCL or RCI? They blow Carnival away with their entertainment. The only thing Carnival does well is comedy and their piano bar, which NCL even trumps with Howl at the Moon.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Princess also has much better entertainment