I must be getting more and more savvy at booking cruises?

JAMESCC

We usually book well in advance, somewhere around a year out. We are doing Anthem Sept. 28 to Canada/NE 9 days. When I booked it was close to $3,800 bucks. I checked the price almost daily, and saw a drop back in December and fare was reduced to $3,336. After that drop, the only drop I saw, it has gone up pretty high. Now it would cost almost $4,000. We are in a superior ocean view balcony. I mean its not a suite or anything, but not a bad cabin to be in either. If you exclude the tax we only paid $2,700 bucks for 9 days, and 3 people in a balcony. Two adults and our 4 year old son. The point is somehow I am getting more savvy at booking cruises. This will be our 6th cruise so its taken some bumps and bruises and taking some lumps to learn the right way to book. Oh and the TA we used pays our gratuities, we only have to pay gratuities on one fare.

To the MODS, if I broke rules of any kind with this post, please feel free to delete.

You rarely go wrong with booking far out and watching for price drops. (For those booking under North American T&C's). Ideally booking the day the itineraries are released is the best bet.

Yes, you can sometimes find a lower price after final payment however you are taking your chances booking like that and then airfare could possibly cost more as well.

I've noticed that as we are approaching final payment on some summer dates, the prices are dropping on certain sailings, but luckily not lower than we paid! There are still quite a few great cabins left on some sailings though.

I've noticed that as we are approaching final payment on some summer dates, the prices are dropping on certain sailings, but luckily not lower than we paid! There are still quite a few great cabins left on some sailings though.

Why do you say luckily? If you are still outside of the final payment date you would be eligible to get the lower price.

I was curious every year RCCL seems to have a huge sale around September or October, are those discounts only on new bookings or are they available if we've already booked our vacation? If it says new bookings only can you cancel your room and rebook right away?

Thanks for info, we want to book a Europe cruise for next summer and we are debating if we book when they come out in March or wait till the fall.

I was curious every year RCCL seems to have a huge sale around September or October, are those discounts only on new bookings or are they available if we've already booked our vacation? If it says new bookings only can you cancel your room and rebook right away?

Thanks for info, we want to book a Europe cruise for next summer and we are debating if we book when they come out in March or wait till the fall.

They have not enforced the new bookings only except on their weekly going going gone sales. No need to even cancel and rebook, they will do the price adjustment for you on your existing reservation.

Book when they are released in March.

Why do you say luckily? If you are still outside of the final payment date you would be eligible to get the lower price.

Lucky because it means I got a good price! We booked pretty early and I got in on a special group price from my TA. Plus we need connecting cabins and there are less to choose from now so I would be upset if I was having to contemplate compromising my cabin choice.

I'm curious if the rates are better booking onboard with future cruises or booking the day deployment dates are released?

I'd book as soon as you can. You can cancel and rebook on board if the price has not changed.

To the OP - I personally use the same method and have had very good returns with it. I think the key is to be booked into a category that represents a large ratio of the overall cabin availability (just look at how many balcony cabins Anthem has in relation to other cabin categories and the fact that they seem to be constantly running the 'balcony for OV' promo on the ship).

Not too sure how it would work for a category like FJS, since the percentage of that category to the total cabin count of the ship is much lower than the balcony ratio. Never having been willing to pay the extra for the minimal additional perks, it might be an interesting experiment - let us know how you fare!

To the OP - I personally use the same method and have had very good returns with it. I think the key is to be booked into a category that represents a large ratio of the overall cabin availability (just look at how many balcony cabins Anthem has in relation to other cabin categories and the fact that they seem to be constantly running the 'balcony for OV' promo on the ship).

Not too sure how it would work for a category like FJS, since the percentage of that category to the total cabin count of the ship is much lower than the balcony ratio. Never having been willing to pay the extra for the minimal additional perks, it might be an interesting experiment - let us know how you fare!

Anthem will have 40+ categories in the future. :eek:

Anthem will have 40+ categories in the future. :eek:

I saw that - like it wasn't confusing enough already:eek:. But I think what I said would still hold true - IF you're not picky about where you are (we're not - I changed my balcony cabin on our November trip at least 5 or 6 times to get the best price;p).