Upgrading Rooms after Boarding??

Mwheeler0802

Hey guys I am new to the forums, but not new to cruising. My DH and I book a cruise leaving this Saturday out of Miami. We have always stayed in balcony rooms on our prior cruise, however for this cruise we chose to try an interior room.

Now that we are only a few days out from sailing my DH is getting worried that he will get claustrophobic and sick feeling in the interior room and wants to switch. I just called Norwegian and they said they aren't selling rooms for this cruise any longer since it departs in just 2 days.

Do you think there is any chance of going to guest services once on board and request to pay to upgrade to a balcony room? DH is worried and isn't sure what to do.

Hey guys I am new to the forums, but not new to cruising. My DH and I book a cruise leaving this Saturday out of Miami. We have always stayed in balcony rooms on our prior cruise, however for this cruise we chose to try an interior room.

Now that we are only a few days out from sailing my DH is getting worried that he will get claustrophobic and sick feeling in the interior room and wants to switch. I just called Norwegian and they said they aren't selling rooms for this cruise any longer since it departs in just 2 days.

Do you think there is any chance of going to guest services once on board and request to pay to upgrade to a balcony room? DH is worried and isn't sure what to do.

Good example.

Instead of worry, initially book the cabin you want.

However, you have nothing to lose except time, by standing in line at Guest Services and asking.

Tell them, that when your DH gets sea-sick, he tends to uncontrollably puke in the public areas of the ship. :evilsmile:

Edited by $hip$hape

Thanks guys for the responses. I just called back in to see if any other categories were open (mini suites, spa..etc) and they weren't. They did however advise to try guest services without me asking, so maybe I can get lucky.

Bad mistake on our part, for sure.

Thanks guys for the responses. I just called back in to see if any other categories were open (mini suites, spa..etc) and they weren't. They did however advise to try guest services without me asking, so maybe I can get lucky.

Good luck. Hope it works out

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Never tried but kind of vaguely remembered few years ago someone mentioned about upgrading at embarkation before you board. Just ask the NCL check-in staff before he/she prints up your room cards. Won't hurt to try!

Never tried but kind of vaguely remembered few years ago someone mentioned about upgrading at embarkation before you board. Just ask the NCL check-in staff before he/she prints up your room cards. Won't hurt to try!

You know I will send good thoughts for it...you never know!!!

If you make it clear you are willing to pay for an upgrade, they may accommodate you if there is an available cabin. I feel sorry for the staff who get inundated with requests and excuses for complimentary upgrades. If you are willing to pay, give it a try and good luck, I hope it works out. If not, you may be pleasantly surprised, the inside cabin may not be as bad as you feared. Try closing the curtains, it's all the same in the dark, and you may enjoy spending the money you would have spent on something nice!!

very, very unlikely but you can try. Now, as for inside, you know, as much as we are not lovers of inside cabins, we have done them a couple of times and we did survive. You just spend as little time as possible in your cabin.

But are the check-in staff actually NCL or port staff employed for the specific purpose? If they are not NCL they will not be able to help.

I think every cruise I have been on have had the "no upgrades" sign at guest services.

Just so you know... I am a bit claustrophobic, but never had any problems with insides.

I am not 100% sure, but I heard that good working ventilation system helps with this issue.

Most people who are claustrophobic are afraid of suffocation and ventilation system helps.

Good luck. It is great to sleep in insides ( insomnia is my other problem, but insides + gym help )

Ask at Guest Services.

I have a friend who was upgraded from an Inside cabin to a Balcony but not until the second day of the cruise. She asked once she was on-board. We were on the Escape and they helped her move.

Safe sailing!

No usually I sign up that says all rooms full or something like that
I suspect they put that sign up on every sailing, regardless of the reality. And I think it's mostly to deflect people who just want to change cabins for whatever reason (and for no extra money). They may be willing to work with someone who offers to pay more to upgrade, even if that sign is up. But as already mentioned, it might help to wait a day or two until it becomes clear that certain guests aren't showing up.

If you can't get the balcony room, I think your DH is exaggerating the inside room. We've done insides and they aren't bad at all. All I can tell you is not to freak out when you first go on. Opening the door and looking into the room is a little freaky. But once you get inside and start unpacking you realize there is plenty of room. On our last cruise we asked our steward to remove a table and chair so we had extra room to walk around the bed. But it certainly isn't claustrophobic feeling. My BF also had claustrophobia and doesn't have any issues with an inside room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

NCL does not accommodate changes onboard. This was a telephone agent getting you off the phone.

I suspect they put that sign up on every sailing, regardless of the reality. And I think it's mostly to deflect people who just want to change cabins for whatever reason (and for no extra money). They may be willing to work with someone who offers to pay more to upgrade, even if that sign is up. But as already mentioned, it might help to wait a day or two until it becomes clear that certain guests aren't showing up.

The do put the sign up for every cruise. And no, they are not interested in processing upgrades, even if they are paid. .

I bet your DH will be just fine in an inside. Fingers crossed. I never wanted to go on a cruise because I get sea sick and slightly claustrophobic. My first cruise, it made more financial sense to book my children and my parents in a balcony while I booked an inside studio. Those studios are tiny. I actually was just fine in there, even though my littles decided that they wanted to stay with me and "moved in" with me in the studio for most of the cruise (my daughter slept one night in the balcony cabin and my son spent every night with me in the studio). Other than sleeping, showering/changing and watching a movie or two, we really didn't spend much time in either of the cabins anyway. I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't have any problems at all. I hope its the same for your DH. Good luck!

I don't have experience with this matter with NCL but had luck with DCL and Fathom Adonia in getting upgrades on the day of sailing. We asked for an upgrade on Fathom Adonia and they happen to have a suite they upgrade us too. Once on DCL we were upgraded to concierge for $150. In addition, on one DCL sailing once we had an issue with the noise from a cabin above and customer service moved our room and we got an bigger stateroom. Never hurts to ask :-)