Necessary items into port??

jsvarp

What items are necessary to bring into each port? Passport? Drivers license ? Please share........

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Passports are not required in all ports. Typically, it's just a ship's card (for re-entry to ship) and a government issued photo ID (driver's license or passport or state ID card) for re-entry to the port area.

Usually your cruise director (as well as the ship's daily paper) will let you know whether an upcoming port is one of those that require passengers to have their passports ashore.

Most cruise lines suggest keeping your passport in the room safe onboard (unless that's your only photo ID, or it's a port that it's required).

You should ALWAYS have ID on you...whether you're at home, or in a foreign country! You will NOT need your passport in the Caribbean at all.

We take what we need for the activity. If you're doing a land tour or shopping, you don't need towels or sunscreen or books.....if you're doing a water thing...bring towels, sunscreen, etc.... Base what you bring ashore on what you'll be doing!

What items are necessary to bring into each port? Passport? Drivers license ? Please share........

It would help if we knew what ports you will be going into. You will always need your ship card, both to get into the port area and back onto the ship. As Shmoo said, some form of government issued photo ID will also be required. Your passport MAY be required in certain ports.

As for things to bring OTHER than the necessary documents- money and a credit card! And contact info for your ship's port agent (usually found printed on the ships daily paper) in case you are late back and miss the boat. Everything else depends on what you plan to do while in port.

I always take my passport off the ship with me. If for some reason (God forbid) you miss the ship you may need it. Better safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is such bad advice!

Ask any crew member (or seasoned international business traveler) if they carry a passport in a city or town where it is not mandated by the government. Pretty much everyone of them will say "no."

On a cruise, best place for your passport is in the purser's safe (which is what most, if not all, premium and luxury cruise lines require).

As for "missing the ship," call the port agent (listed on the daily ship newsletter) if you're not going to make it back. Whether your passport is in the cabin safe or with the purser, it will be retrieved and transferred to the port agent for safe keeping.

That is such bad advice!

Ask any crew member (or seasoned international business traveler) if they carry a passport in a city or town where it is not mandated by the government. Pretty much everyone of them will say "no."

On a cruise, best place for your passport is in the purser's safe (which is what most, if not all, premium and luxury cruise lines require).

As for "missing the ship," call the port agent (listed on the daily ship newsletter) if you're not going to make it back. Whether your passport is in the cabin safe or with the purser, it will be retrieved and transferred to the port agent for safe keeping.

Agree

We keep our passports and extra meds together in a ziplock bag in the cabin safe for just this reason.

Onshore we take whatever we need for the day, including a small first aid kit, ship info, baby powder to take off sand, some commercially packaged food (cereal, nutrigrain bars, hard candy), water some we buy onshore.

We take photocopies of our passports, "just in case". Just ship card, drivers license, sunglasses, a few dollars.

Tip ... don't take photocopies, just take photos with your phone (assuming you will have your phone with you). Do the same thing with the ship's schedule (Fun Times, etc) so that you have the port agent's phone number (just in case). One less thing to carry around.

Tip ... don't take photocopies, just take photos with your phone (assuming you will have your phone with you). Do the same thing with the ship's schedule (Fun Times, etc) so that you have the port agent's phone number (just in case). One less thing to carry around.

This! Total head slap moment for me.....can't believe I didn't think to just snap a pic with my phone instead of making photo copies. Great advice :)

We do the same thing using our phone. We also scan it at home and e-mail copies to ourselves of our passport, cc's (front and back) excursion, hotel and air confirmations. That way if the phone gets lost (which has actually happened to us TWICE), we can go to any internet cafe and retrieve all the information. With our "valuables" in the safe, we know the port authority can get these essentials to us should we miss the ship.

As a general rule you should have your cruise card (room key) and some kind of government picture ID (such as a drivers license). Otherwise you would want to have enough cash and/or credit card for your needs. There are some ports around the world (not in the Caribbean) that require you to carry a valid Passport (such as Russia). Although some EU countries technically require you to carry a Passport, many (including moi) prefer to leave Passports safely locked in a cabin or hotel safe (there is a lot of debate about this issue).

Personally, with more than forty years of extensive travel (to over 100 countries) under our belts.....we prefer to leave our Passports (and most valuables) locked securely in a cruise ship or hotel safe. Others will disagree...and while we acknowledge the difference of opinion...we prefer to carry as few valuables as possible. An American Passport is worth thousands of dollars on the Black Market...and one might want to keep that in mind.

Hank

The general rule for ALL ports is that you need your ship ID card, and a government issued photo ID (children under 16 do not need ID). Other than those items it is up to you. Most people take some cash and a credit card in addition to the two required items.

Other things will depend on why you are getting of the ship. The things you need for the beach are not the thing you need to go shopping.

I always take my passport off the ship with me. If for some reason (God forbid) you miss the ship you may need it. Better safe than sorry.

Please do not sail on an upscale or luxury line as they hold your passport for the entire trip.

Please do not sail on an upscale or luxury line as they hold your passport for the entire trip.

It is also true on mass market lines when on certain itineraries around the world. We have had our Passports held (many times) by HAL and also by Celebrity, RCI, Azamara, etc etc. There are many itineraries where the cruise ship's Purser needs to have everyone's Passports in order to get the ship cleared in certain ports. We recall one HAL cruise (Prinsendam) where we were in a European Port (after having been to over 100 countries we cannot remember which port) that required the Purser to have possession of all Passports to get our ship cleared. As we were leaving the ship, early in the morning, some friends of ours were waiting in seats near the pursers office. We asked them about their plans, and they told us they wanted to wait for their Passports before they left the ship (this couple would not go anywhere without their Passports). That evening at dinner they told us they had to wait until nearly 1PM before the Purser could return their Passports....so they never bothered to leave the ship. The Purser was forced to hold those Passports by the local authorities (who were working in the ship's conference room) who spend more then half the day reviewing and stamping over 1000 Passports (passengers and crew).

We have been on numerous cruises where passengers are simply required to turn-in their Passports at embarkation (you are generally given a receipt) and they are sometimes not returned until after the ship has left its last port on the voyage. Those that refuse to turn in their Passports are not permitted to board the ship.

Hank

OK.....I have to chime in here. I have actually been right behind a pax who was asked by the cruise line to surrender her passport upon boarding and she told them that she would give them a copy, however, she would not surrender her passport!

She was allowed to keep her passport and was also allowed to board.

We never, ever step on foreign soil without our passport on our person! That is what a passport is for!

God forbid, something were to go wrong and you needed to fly home, you will need your passport....a copy will not get you on a plane to the US!

As to a US passport being very valuable, that is very true, however our passports are on our person when in a foreign country. It is NOT in a fanny pack, (which is like a sign signaling that all your valuables are in that pack), or around our neck in a small purse or bag which can be cut off in a second.

You are a tourist and you look like a tourist, so if a bad person is looking to take your valuables, make it as difficult as possible for them!

We have traveled extensively around Asia, Europe and in the Caribbean and have never had any problems, but again we are aware of our surroundings.

Please don't flame me for my opinion, as it is just that....my opinion....

Thanks everyone and have a great cruise!!!