Anthem of the Seas - Live Review 3/5/17-3/12/17

Please post the best way to take videos/pics during the ifly. Does one of your group have to go at a different time slot to be the phototographer? I'm booked at the same time as my children

My SO and myself took turns taping from outside the glass when we did IFly. They also have a photographer there if you want to buy their pictures.

Hi there, we are from Ontario and driving down for this same cruise in June. I'm kind of having sticker shock right now over the alcohol package and individual prices. My husband likes to have maybe 2 beers and a glass of wine or 2 with dinner, so maybe 4 drinks over the course of a night. On sea days there could be a couple more. I just added the package to the planner and my eyes almost fell out when I saw that it came to $670 for one person (thankfully I don't drink). And that was with the 30% off. Am I missing something or is that actually the price? I saw on one of the menus you posted that a Stella was $9.50 which as we know is over $13 CAD. OUCH.

Is there any way to get the package cheaper? Is that what you guys paid? I'm dying. LOL. That was a gut shot.

It is not too bad. I feel it more than I do on the Oasis but do not find it worse than the Freedom when I have been on her.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, great review. I'm sailing on the Anthem in April, so I will anxiously follow your review. I just wanted to mention that NYC has been having the coldest weather all season this week, along with a lot of wind. I can only imagine this weather contributes to the feeling of motion.

Hi there, we are from Ontario and driving down for this same cruise in June. I'm kind of having sticker shock right now over the alcohol package and individual prices. My husband likes to have maybe 2 beers and a glass of wine or 2 with dinner, so maybe 4 drinks over the course of a night. On sea days there could be a couple more. I just added the package to the planner and my eyes almost fell out when I saw that it came to $670 for one person (thankfully I don't drink). And that was with the 30% off. Am I missing something or is that actually the price? I saw on one of the menus you posted that a Stella was $9.50 which as we know is over $13 CAD. OUCH.

Is there any way to get the package cheaper? Is that what you guys paid? I'm dying. LOL. That was a gut shot.

It seems outrageous. They give you a deal on the cruise fare, but get you with a beverage package and other extras. It's that way on most of the lines though. On a cruise two years ago, I saved all my receipts and calculated if I had saved money by purchasing an alcohol package. It was a close call. I saved on my 25 year old, but not myself.

For my upcoming cruise, I'm going with the alcohol package for three reasons. I know me, if I didn't buy it, I would refrain from drinking and that's no fun. Secondly, the soda package with the souvenir cup is impractical for me. I'll leave the cup behind in the cabin, or walk away and leave it on a table near the pool. And lastly, it really isn't the total cost we need to look at, but rather, the difference between the two packages. So, we're looking at $26 each, or 2 alcohol drinks each day. Suddenly, the alcohol package seems the way to go.

I will also mention that my daughter ordered over ten drinks one day. She's a thin slip of a girl, there is no way she'd be walking if she actually drank that much. She was taking a sip, leaving it to sit in the sun, going back to it and realizing it was warm, so ordering another. Or, on occasion tried a new drink, only to find she hated it, so ordered something else. These are things you do when you have the unlimited plan. I was happy we had that prerogative.

Hmm, why are there prices on the menu? Isn't eveything in the MDR covered? As well, do you happen to know for the specialty restaurants, is there a "flat fee" per person or do you order like at a land based restaurant? Last time we sailed both RCCL and Celebrity it was just a flat fee pp. Thanks!

We have MTD and have booked 6pm reservations for the week. We checked in and were taken downstairs to Grande. Here is the Menu for night 1. I am. It sure why but some of my photos are getting weird stripes - almost like I am taking a photo of a computer screen. It's be something with the lighting...

45eee99165c44e1ef0601f77439ee31c.jpgcc0afd36ca22deb0d6a7adb4dd835d3c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really is. $700 for a drink package is criminal. Thank God Costco threw in a soda package which I'm fine with since I don't drink. Tap water and diet coke for me. The occasional latte at night. The last time we sailed it was with Celebrity.They have an option where you can pick 2 different packages, and we chose the alcohol package and $300 OBC, it was fabulous. In some ways I wish we had sailed with them again. :(

It seems outrageous. They give you a deal on the cruise fare, but get you with a beverage package and other extras. It's that way on most of the lines though. On a cruise two years ago, I saved all my receipts and calculated if I had saved money by purchasing an alcohol package. It was a close call. I saved on my 25 year old, but not myself.

For my upcoming cruise, I'm going with the alcohol package for three reasons. I know me, if I didn't buy it, I would refrain from drinking and that's no fun. Secondly, the soda package with the souvenir cup is impractical for me. I'll leave the cup behind in the cabin, or walk away and leave it on a table near the pool. And lastly, it really isn't the total cost we need to look at, but rather, the difference between the two packages. So, we're looking at $26 each, or 2 alcohol drinks each day. Suddenly, the alcohol package seems the way to go.

I will also mention that my daughter ordered over ten drinks one day. She's a thin slip of a girl, there is no way she'd be walking if she actually drank that much. She was taking a sip, leaving it to sit in the sun, going back to it and realizing it was warm, so ordering another. Or, on occasion tried a new drink, only to find she hated it, so ordered something else. These are things you do when you have the unlimited plan. I was happy we had that prerogative.

Hmm, why are there prices on the menu? Isn't eveything in the MDR covered? As well, do you happen to know for the specialty restaurants, is there a "flat fee" per person or do you order like at a land based restaurant? Last time we sailed both RCCL and Celebrity it was just a flat fee pp. Thanks!

The prices on the MDR menu are for a few "premium" selections.

With regard to specialty restaurants, some are flat fee, one is flat fee plus extra for certain choices, some are a la carte.

Thanks again. ;)

With regard to specialty restaurants, some are flat fee, one is flat fee plus extra for certain choices, some are a la carte.

The main dining room "premium" selects are rather expensive, especially considering that they are in addition to the your meal price built into the cruise fare. And they are a tease, being dangled in our faces. Personally, I'm glad I'm not travelling with my 19 year old. He'd be ordering selects every meal.

I'm confused by the Solarium Bistro. Is it a complimentary restaurant, or a specialty restaurant. I made a reservation, and they charged me nothing. I've looked at their menu [thinking it might be ala carte], but there are no prices. Additionally, I read it is open from 11AM until 4PM. Yet, I was able to make a 9PM reservation. Do you know what the low down is with it?

Solarium is included but I do think they have, like in main dinning room, upcharge on lobster and fillet mignon. As far as the time goes I think when we were on the ship it was open till nine. So maybe nine is the last reservation.

Hope OP is enjoying the cruise!

If checking back in, I've read some are curious about whether ESCAPE FROM THE FUTURE BY PUZZLE BREAK is still on Anthem? We did not see it on our recent sailing, nothing on the Royal IQ or anywhere else, but perhaps we just missed it.

If checking back in, I've read some are curious about whether ESCAPE FROM THE FUTURE BY PUZZLE BREAK is still on Anthem? We did not see it on our recent sailing, nothing on the Royal IQ or anywhere else, but perhaps we just missed it.

I have it booked for next weeks trip on anthem. Was able to book it online around 50 days out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great review. We were considering a cruise out of NY as well for a future cruise since like you, it's about a 9-10 hr drive (you from Toronto?)...especailly as I'm scared of airline prices from Canada for march break. We ended up booking another Royal cruise out of FL, but we were looking at Anthem (or NCL). So its great to read along with your experience. The North Star looks amazing...must be some views you get. Hopefully it'll warm up for you soon as you get further from NY.

Looking forward to hearing more.

I think you just missed it.:) We were on the sailing after yours and it was on Royal IQ and we saw the sign outside the doorway where it is run up in the Seaplex area. We did have a hard time finding it on Royal IQ the first time we sailed Anthem, so that might have been what happened with you too. We also didn't know where the room was when we did it and went to Guest Relations to ask, since they don't bother to put the location in the app. We found 4 other people down there asking the same question. We pointed this information out to the guy that was running it that week and he said the first puzzle you have to figure out is where to go.;):cool: