Harmony missing Nassau today

Wow, I didn't know missing a port was in option when there is a dock there. We're headed on Allure next month, and while I know Nassau is not an amazing port, if we missed it, I think my husband would go squirrelly with a 4th sea day! :)

Hope you enjoy the day!

Wow, I didn't know missing a port was in option when there is a dock there. We're headed on Allure next month, and while I know Nassau is not an amazing port, if we missed it, I think my husband would go squirrelly with a 4th sea day! :)

Hope you enjoy the day!

It really depends on which direction the wind is blowing and how strong it is. The last thing the Captain (and the cruiseline) wants is for a ship to get pushed/crash into the pier. Also, the width of the channel can be part of the decision too as they don't want a ship pushed aground either. We've never had a docking port cancelled due to weather, but have had a tender one cancelled, but it does happen. It appears the weather pattern this year has caused this to happen at a couple of ports.

Onboard now and Captain just announced 35 knot winds.

I noticed about an hour ago that we were turning and heading away from land.

We will have a sea day today.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Forums mobile app

On a previous sailing (albeit Allure) when they missed Nassau on Day 2, they returned via there in the afternoon on Day 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another smaller ship did sail into Nassau after Harmony passed by. I snapped a few pics. The tug appeared to be working pretty hard and it took a while to bring the ship around before backing into her berth. The tug assisted for that process as well.

With Harmony being so large I could only fathom how much wind she'd catch.

c83975037917310c1ef1720443032dd9.jpg

9fa0ae6bfcfc70913aa9282e9c3fa7ed.jpg

b29ed8de4383f0c5ec3996314846a974.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

22 Jan 2017 at Oasis muster drill the Captain announced that due to predicted weather we were bypassing Nassau but would instead on Day 3 be docking at San Juan. The rest of the announcement was lost in the cheer that went up all over the ship. I have missed many ports over the years due to weather; some replaced, some not. No doubt in my mind that they are correct to be safe rather than sorry.

22 Jan 2017 at Oasis muster drill the Captain announced that due to predicted weather we were bypassing Nassau but would instead on Day 3 be docking at San Juan. The rest of the announcement was lost in the cheer that went up all over the ship.

:D

I wonder of Royal has stats they keep on how many people stay on a ship in each port, and if Nassau doesn't lead the list for most people staying on board.

:D

I wonder of Royal has stats they keep on how many people stay on a ship in each port, and if Nassau doesn't lead the list for most people staying on board.

They must know with a click of a mouse.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I am sure they will make it up by offering "extra bingo" and maybe a big clothes & watch sale in the promenade..........

Hopefully they will lengthen the flowrider hours too since you are not in port. Enjoy your day at sea.

Hope you enjoy the day!

Weather and sea conditions will always dictate whether or not a ship makes a port of call - docking or tendering. If the ship cannot maneuver safely in the harbor and to the dock, it always is an "option". Apparently the high wind conditions had the Captain erring on the side of caution with his billion $ ship and passengers.:)

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Captain Gus announced at noon that we will come back to Nassau on Friday from 1 pm to 7 pm.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Forums mobile app

Hi Dave,

Hope the winds calm down for all of you and you have a great time the rest of your cruise. Sounds like the Captain is going to make it right for everyone.

Hope you are doing well. I'll be waving hello when we get on this Saturday.

Maybe we'll meet up again on a ship sometime soon.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

We were on the Allure in November 2016 and bypassed Nassau because the Capt.was concerned about getting in the entrance to the dock. He said he feared the ship might get push side ways and do to it's size might run aground. ??? Hate to miss a port whether I get off the ship or stay on it. Safety first. !!

We are also on Harmony. During the announcement by Captain Gus he stated that he did not want to risk sailing through the channel due to the swells and strong current. We were planning on staying on the ship in Nassau, but feel bad for those that had excursions planned. We're still experiencing high winds and rough seas. Don't think Nassau weather would have been very enjoyable even if the ship was able to dock in the port. We will now be docking in St Thomas earlier and can enjoy the additional time there.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app

Another smaller ship did sail into Nassau after Harmony passed by. I snapped a few pics. The tug appeared to be working pretty hard and it took a while to bring the ship around before backing into her berth. The tug assisted for that process as well.

With Harmony being so large I could only fathom how much wind she'd catch.

c83975037917310c1ef1720443032dd9.jpg

9fa0ae6bfcfc70913aa9282e9c3fa7ed.jpg

b29ed8de4383f0c5ec3996314846a974.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How's that Genie working out for ya?? Having a good time?

We found that Nassau has really changed. We walked up to tour the rum distillery for free , right near by was the Art Museum in a old huge house. We went to the Nassau Museum and it had a room on the car racing which I never heard of but my husband loved it. The old historical Graycliff hotel is free to walk around with a cigar factory and chocolate shop. There's a guy in a small boat that makes you conch salad while you watch on the water front. Across the bridge is the Cloisters and gardens that we had a taxi drop us off and then afterwards hailed one down to get back to the ship and it's free.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums