Is Crowding on Anthem Really That Bad?

I'm planning a 12 night trip on Anthem for February 2018 and it seems that overcrowding is mentioned a lot in reviews. I'm used to big ships, I've done NCL Breakaway, NCL Epic and Oasis in the past. Are the crowds on Anthem typical of other large ships or are they even worse than that? I loved Oasis and didn't feel like it was overcrowded.

Typical crowds. If there is a $10.00 t-shirt or watch sale on the Royal Esplanade - expect crowds, or anytime a show lets out you can expect the usual crowds exiting the theatre and waiting for elevators.

Hi Jimlv :)

Just off the Anthem 12-day voyage, February 7th to 19th sailing. Did not feel crowded at all. The only time we experienced crowds were during muster drill, when a show let out & the last day when everyone disembarked. Typical crowd at the buffet during breakfast, but that can be avoided by having breakfast at the Two70 Cafe or in a dining room. It never felt as if there were 4,500 people onboard at all.

Enjoy your cruise!

:)

Never felt that crowded to us on our 9 night cruise other that as already said when shows let out or one of the many special sails on the Royal Esplanade. Cafe 270 for breakfast was a great find and we really enjoyed it.

We are just off Anthem today and we felt the ship was very crowded. The Esplanade is always crowded and difficult to walk through, especially if you have any mobility issues. People just push their way through with no regard for others. We had a cabin forward and found that it was much easier to walk the stateroom corridor and then come down the aft elevators instead of trying to walk through the esplanade or even through the bionic bar. The flow of this ship is just off and there are bottlenecks everywhere you try to go.

It is a beautiful ship but after sailing it twice now, we would only go back if it was an incredible deal that we couldn't pass up.

Hi Jimlv :)

Just off the Anthem 12-day voyage, February 7th to 19th sailing. Did not feel crowded at all. The only time we experienced crowds were during muster drill, when a show let out & the last day when everyone disembarked. Typical crowd at the buffet during breakfast, but that can be avoided by having breakfast at the Two70 Cafe or in a dining room. It never felt as if there were 4,500 people onboard at all.

Enjoy your cruise!

:)

I agree. We were on the 12 day southern itinerary in January and other than muster and the shop sales, crowds were never really a problem. Many staff commented that because it was a 12 day cruise, the guests seemed to be more relaxed and not so stressed about trying to experience everything in 7 days.

One other crowded experience...the farewell show. Horrible idea to hold it anyplace other than a theatre.

Personally I thought the crowds in Breakaway were worse than Anthem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it is all in what you expect to find and your frame of mind. I also just got off the Anthem. I don't do the shopping frenzy thing onboard, but I will say that was where I saw the biggest crowds, and even if you had no mobility problems, it was extremely annoying. Other than that, I didn't find lines to be very bad. They were there, but that's how things are, on a mega-ship.

However, I never felt like there were 4000 people onboard. I wouldn't let concerns stop you from enjoying what is a very remarkable ship!

Sometimes it feels crowded (shopping, shows, elevators, peak WJ breakfast, pool deck on a sunny sea day) and sometimes not. If you make all your dining and show reservations before you board, it helps a lot.

I think that a 5 day Anthem cruise in the summer is the most crowded. The longer cruises let people spread out and they are not so desperate to do everything in a short time.

I'm planning a 12 night trip on Anthem for February 2018 and it seems that overcrowding is mentioned a lot in reviews. I'm used to big ships, I've done NCL Breakaway, NCL Epic and Oasis in the past. Are the crowds on Anthem typical of other large ships or are they even worse than that? I loved Oasis and didn't feel like it was overcrowded.

I have twice sailed Anthem (both 12 nights) and I would not classify it as overcrowded. Yes, the windjammer is bustling during breakfast. Their elevators have mechanical issues more than any other Royal ship I have been on which adds to wait time for elevator and the bionic bar area is narrow and cruisers are fascinated watching drinks being made, blocking the limited walking area. Despite these issues, the ship is not overcrowded. I am amazed at how many different seating areas there are throughout the ship which makes it easy to "get lost" while 4,000 others are onboard. Enjoy your cruise.

I didn't find it crowded.

That said, now I think about it, there were crowds at various times in certain hubs, typical of many ships. But it was for example easier to get a seat in shows and certain venues than other ships e.g. Rhapsody I'm thinking of you! - so didn't stand out as an issue.

I agree with the answers here. We were on a 12 day Anthem cruise in December. Overall the ship is huge with a nice space design and layout. Most of the ship did not at all feel overcrowded. Exceptions - as mentioned at times the esplanade was packed and difficult to walk by the sales tables. We found the Windjammer always crowded and difficult to find a seat most days at breakfast and lunch and particularly on sea days. We avoided it and used Cafe 270 or Solarium Bistro or as a wicked little splurge the Dog House! At certain times such as around dinner the elevators were packed and sometimes we waited for a bit. This happens on every ship. We are Diamond+ and at peak times such as before the early dinner seating the Diamond Lounge was very crowded.

IMO more crowded than Oasis but not as crowded as Escape or Getaway.

I try and zig when everyone else zags because I hate crowds. When its unavoidable just remember its vacation why hurry. They are not going to run out of food or drink. Sometimes walking around will help with crowds, going to the other end of the ship, taking the stairs.

Every ship is crowded after muster, after shows, on pool deck on sea days. Just know it and accept it.

The killer is that stupid center island that sells stuff and syphons the crowd to either side. If the Esplanade was wide open the traffic flow would be so much better.

I was going to say the same thing. That middle island is the main thing that causes the crowding on the Esplanade. People stop to look and the thoroughfare gets jammed very easily.

I just got off the Anthem this past Sunday. It was a 7 night cruise. I did not think it was crowded and it was a fully booked cruise. Expect crowds during sales and when shows get out of course. We had no issue finding tables at Windjammer or seats at the pool areas. We plan on going again next year!

Sometimes it feels crowded (shopping, shows, elevators, peak WJ breakfast, pool deck on a sunny sea day) and sometimes not. If you make all your dining and show reservations before you board, it helps a lot.

I think that a 5 day Anthem cruise in the summer is the most crowded. The longer cruises let people spread out and they are not so desperate to do everything in a short time.

Of course summer cruises are more crowded. There can be an extra 1000 kids on the ship vs. cruises during the school year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had no issue finding tables at Windjammer or seats at the pool areas.

That was what I wondered about - you can get food from WJ and take it out to the pool areas to eat, right?

The killer is that stupid center island that sells stuff and syphons the crowd to either side. If the Esplanade was wide open the traffic flow would be so much better.

Agreed - this is the only place on our 12 night trip the crowds got on my nerves a bit. After all, you can't get $5 t-shirts and junk watches at home so you MUST buy them on the ship. Outside of this (and the buffet which is crowded on any ship) we thought crowds were a non-issue.

Typical crowds. If there is a $10.00 t-shirt or watch sale on the Royal Esplanade - expect crowds, or anytime a show lets out you can expect the usual crowds exiting the theatre and waiting for elevators.

This is what I tell people to study the deck plans and know alternates ahead of time. Obviously I don't know the Quantum class, but if you come out of a theater go up or down a deck to get to an elevator, or walk to the other end of the ship.

We found Quantum/Anthem to be no more or less crowded-feeling than other ships. It's crowded at the usual times - during muster and when shows let out , and during sales in the esplanade.

We never had a problem finding a seat in the Windjammer, even during prime dining times. We just went around to the back where there is a very nice outdoor dining area.

Of course summer cruises are more crowded. There can be an extra 1000 kids on the ship vs. cruises during the school year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's the key. Crowding is seasonal. Normal capacity is listed as 4180 (2 per cabin) while maximum capacity is 4900. During winter months she sails closer to the lower number but when school is out expect her to sail full. Regardless of season activities and entertainment fill up so be sure to book them ASAP or risk disappointment.