Changes in room service a availability and charges?

Molson99

We have cruised HAL for years and frequently get the room service breakfast, especially if we are booked on an early tour. If I go on shore alone, my mom will get lunch from room service. I am reading various threads that comment on changes in breakfast service, no room service available at dinner.... Are these new changes thru out the fleet? We will be doing the Eurodam Panama Canal cruise soon and am concerned.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, there are a few changes...no, room service is still available 24 hours. Breakfast is a bit more limited than it used to be with some charges for a few more upscale items (sorry, but I didn't pay attention to those)...can still get normal breakfast items. Lunch and dinner are still available with a nice addition (of extra charge) for getting a Dive-In burger anytime for about $6 and a Pinnacle steak for an upcharge, too. You can still call for the MDR dinner to be delivered during dinner hours. (By the way, we missed our steak sandwich from the room service menu but found the BBQ sandwich ended up being a nice substitute.)

Yes, there are a few changes...no, room service is still available 24 hours. Breakfast is a bit more limited than it used to be with some charges for a few more upscale items (sorry, but I didn't pay attention to those)...can still get normal breakfast items. Lunch and dinner are still available with a nice addition (of extra charge) for getting a Dive-In burger anytime for about $6 and a Pinnacle steak for an upcharge, too. You can still call for the MDR dinner to be delivered during dinner hours. (By the way, we missed our steak sandwich from the room service menu but found the BBQ sandwich ended up being a nice substitute.)

and just to add to this great reply, some CC members have reported success in writing in requests on the breakfast menu. It may vary by ship, not sure as it is relatively new so, of course reports vary depending on how new it was ;)

So you can still get regular items like sandwiches, or salads at no charge?

Yes, but the sandwich selections seem to have been changed as well as the sides that come with the sandwich. For example, potato chips or cole slaw; potato salad is not available. (And, on my recent cruises, potato salad has disappeared from the Lido Restaurant as well. Someone in Seattle have something against potato salad?)

Yes, but the sandwich selections seem to have been changed as well as the sides that come with the sandwich. For example, potato chips or cole slaw; potato salad is not available. (And, on my recent cruises, potato salad has disappeared from the Lido Restaurant as well. Someone in Seattle have something against potato salad?)

The lack of potato salad is pretty much a sign of the end of days. ;)

My guess on the elimination of potato salad is food safety...with a mayonnaise base temperature of the product becomes a concern. Cole slaw usually has vinegar which gives it a longer life away from refrigeration.

We were recently on the Oosterdam and we had no problems writing in items on the breakfast menu door hanger. Actually, we had more write-in items than were printed on the door card. Pancakes, bacon strips, sausage links or patties, chocolate milk, oatmeal (with brown sugar),eggs any style. We never had anything that was written in, refused. Try it, they can only say "no". We also provide a cash gratuity to the person who brings the tray in the morning. He definitely deserves it, for having to look at me in my shorts when delivering the tray. :D

However, they have had mayo dressed potato salad available for years. It is also availabat the lunch buffet at HMC.

As much extra work potato salad is, and as much more perishable it is, I think we're overlooking the obvious: Americans generally prefer crunchy and salty.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

My guess on the elimination of potato salad is food safety...with a mayonnaise base temperature of the product becomes a concern. Cole slaw usually has vinegar which gives it a longer life away from refrigeration.

I have no doubt that the disappearance of potato salad has something to do with food safety issues. WCB, on their current posts during their world cruise, have indicated that on-board food options, i.e. deck Mongolian Lunch, deck BBQ dinner, Sunday MDR Brunch, have disappeared because of the concern of keeping "cold foods cold and hot foods hot" due to USPH/CDC "concerns" expressed to HAL.

I must wonder how many of these USPH/CDC inspectors have attended family, church, organization, etc. functions where food was served and the food was not as "hot"/"cold" as it ought to have been. Did they survive after eating such "possibly tainted" food"?

Must have; they are still receiving a Federal paycheck, I guess.

There is reasonably a difference in the scrutiny applied to commercial offerings and community/family get-togethers.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I would bet the potato salad disappearance is due to concern about food poisoning. Thanks for letting me know you can try to write in on the breakfast menu. It's rare for us to use room service but so helpful not to have to battle your way around the Lido in the am when I am trying to get my 89 year old mom going in the am for a tour!

As someone who just made a mess of cole slaw and a mess of potato salad for a church event, I can confirm that the is a quantum difference in the amount of work involved!

Loved this post & just had a good laugh.. Our condo is having it's annual meeting on Tues. followed by a pot luck.. I've been asked to bring potato salad...:eek: I'm not a good cook by any means..In fact I'm a terrible cook, who grew up with a Grandmother & Mother who were wonderful cooks, but could never give me a written recipe.. So now I'm pulling up recipes for German Potato salad which is vinegar based.. If it doesn't work I'll go to Publix & buy a mayo based salad..:(

Please wish me luck, I need it.. :cool:

Loved this post & just had a good laugh.. Our condo is having it's annual meeting on Tues. followed by a pot luck.. I've been asked to bring potato salad...:eek: I'm not a good cook by any means..In fact I'm a terrible cook, who grew up with a Grandmother & Mother who were wonderful cooks, but could never give me a written recipe.. So now I'm pulling up recipes for German Potato salad which is vinegar based.. If it doesn't work I'll go to Publix & buy a mayo based salad..:(

Please wish me luck, I need it.. :cool:

Is that how your condo encourages owners to show up!?

Good luck, indeed, with both the meeting and the potluck. I bet your potato salad will be a hit!