Watches sold in Princess shops

Nodales

Don't know what the brands are but be careful when you purchase watches on the ship.

I bought a cheap watch ($10). I thought it wouldn't be a problem and was probably worth what I paid for it.

It lasted less than 1 year. The battery died and I can't find anyone who is willing to open it and replace the battery. Threw it in the trash.

Guess I got what I paid for.

Don't know what the brands are but be careful when you purchase watches on the ship.

I bought a cheap watch ($10). I thought it wouldn't be a problem and was probably worth what I paid for it.

It lasted less than 1 year. The battery died and I can't find anyone who is willing to open it and replace the battery. Threw it in the trash.

Guess I got what I paid for.

There is a thread around (might even be one that is referenced above but I'm too lazy to check at the moment) where someone bought one of those cheap watches and it had lots of "buttons" but no manual. It turned out that the "buttons" were merely ornamental and didn't actually do anything. I think the $10 watches on Princess ships are likely quite a bit overpriced. :eek:

Princess has some top shelf watches in the jewelry shops and some cheapo and medium priced watches on their sale tables. Something for every budget.

As far as batteries, they go bad on any watch. My wife has bought a few cheapo watches as has my sister. My Mom has purchased a few medium priced watches. Almost all of these watches have had their batteries fail. I opened them up and, with the exception of one of them, they all used the same battery. Best deal for everyone was that I found the same battery that they all used (but for the one exception) on Ebay for less than $10.00 for twenty batteries. Now all of those watches work again. Anyone need a couple of batteries? I have extras.

There is a thread around (might even be one that is referenced above but I'm too lazy to check at the moment) where someone bought one of those cheap watches and it had lots of "buttons" but no manual. It turned out that the "buttons" were merely ornamental and didn't actually do anything. I think the $10 watches on Princess ships are likely quite a bit overpriced. :eek:

I actually bought one of those $10.00 watches because I wanted one for a beach excursion that we needed to know the time so we could get back and not miss the ship. It actually had buttons that worked. I bought it a couple of years ago and I just looked and it is still working and the time is correct. Can't complain that it was overpriced at this point. :D

They have a pretty good selection of Tag Heuer, Tissot and Citizen. No Rolex or Omega. I guess there to expensive??

Tony

I have purchased a couple Citizens Eco-Drive watches on board and have been very happy with them. 7 years for some of them and still going strong. They also carry Philip Stein, Fossil, Guess, and others too.

Paul

I'm not one to wear any watch except on vacation but their $10 watches do work as intended. My buttons work OK. I think you got a bad one. Return it next cruise. ;)

As far as batteries, they go bad on any watch.

I bought a Citizen Eco-Drive watch 7 years ago and still love this watch. It doesn't need batteries - it just charges itself in light. It has been the best watch I have ever owned. I have since bought a 2nd one.

I had so many issues with the Fossil watches I bought on board previously.

My wife and I both purchased Tag Heuer watches and I was not able to find them cheaper anywhere else.

Same here with the Citizen Eco-Drive.

I had seen them the first week on a B2B cruise. I searched the internet and couldn't find a better price when I combined the discount from the first day and elite discount. I bought them on the 2nd cruise of the B2B.

I am wearing a Citizen Skyhawk I purchased on a cruise many years ago. Although not an avid watch collector, I do keep my eye out on pieces that I might enjoy and as such have a good feel for prices. I felt I got an excellent price for this Citizen. When I got back home I visited my local, trusted, jeweler and the value of my purchase was confirmed.

I would not be afraid to purchase a name brand, higher end, watch from Princess as they are all basically mass produced and are identical to the ones that you would purchase from a jeweler. My only advice would be to have familiarity with pricing at the place you would normally make such a purchase before making a purchase on board. Watches are also about the only "jewelry" item I would purchase from an on-board shop, again because the items are mass produced and should be identical to what you would get from a local jeweler. There is just too much variability in other jewelry items for me to feel comfortable buying on-board.

Granddaughter loved the zebra band $10 watch we got for her. Lasted about a year and she was devastated by it not working. Battery replacement is easy to do yourself. She is back in business.

Same here with the Citizen Eco-Drive.

I had seen them the first week on a B2B cruise. I searched the internet and couldn't find a better price when I combined the discount from the first day and elite discount. I bought them on the 2nd cruise of the B2B.

Our experience has been the same after checking the Internet--I've bought 2 of them and haven't seen them cheaper anywhere else.

Why buy watches on a ship?????????????

I had issues that I was allergic to a lot of the watches I would buy so I didn't wear one, except when traveling. Every time I went to travel, the battery was dead! So I always struggle to find a replacement battery (once in NYC, everyone directed me to Central Station).

I got on a ship where someone mentioned that the Eco Drive doesn't need battery replacement, I was sold. Then, later to find out I wasn't allergic to the watch, bonus! It has been a win win situation.

I didn't intent to buy a watch but am so glad I did. I would never have heard about the Citizen Eco-Drive if not for the ship.

I had issues that I was allergic to a lot of the watches I would buy so I didn't wear one, except when traveling. Every time I went to travel, the battery was dead! So I always struggle to find a replacement battery (once in NYC, everyone directed me to Central Station).

I got on a ship where someone mentioned that the Eco Drive doesn't need battery replacement, I was sold. Then, later to find out I wasn't allergic to the watch, bonus! It has been a win win situation.

I didn't intent to buy a watch but am so glad I did. I would never have heard about the Citizen Eco-Drive if not for the ship.

I was dead keen on the Princess 50th Anniversary Eco Drive, but they'd sold out of the men's.