Why all those childish "perks"?

Congratulations on booking Concierge Class, now you can use our binoculars! And a free umbrella, no strings attached! But wait there's more.. Not only will you receive a free bag, a free pen, a free notepad, you'll also find, in your very own stateroom, 2 apples and an orange!

Almost everyone I met on my two cruises with Celebrity had a long and nice career, or owned a company themselves. Obviously all of them could afford to sail with Celebrity which most people cannot.

Are those people really excited about a hotel that offers an umbrella? Or after having spent tens of thousands of dollars, reaching "Elite level", a whole scoop of free icecream? Do they actually believe that the champagne in their Neptune Suite was "sent by the Captain"?

For me, being promised a free pen or bag actually diminishes the value of a cruise. It's not that special anymore when the seller seems to think that giving away a pen or the use of an umbrella might make me accept the deal. After spending $3000 to be in a hotel for a week, I just expect it to have an umbrella available when it rains. If that is sold as a special perk, it makes me suspicious. Having my own shower could be another perk.

I wonder what percentage of passengers booked a cruise because they didn't want to miss out on the free tote bag, and how many possible passengers decided not to book a $20,000 suite because, being adults, they didn't feel being taken seriously when their TA started about the free scoop of icecream.

So, these people are going to spend that money on a cruise whether they get any cutesy little "perks" or not - but it's human nature, people love getting little freebies. You think any of those Hollywood stars that go to the Oscars need the stuff in those "swag bags" they get? Of course not, but try telling them they are not getting one. I've stayed in some pretty pricey hotels (when a client was paying) and have never been given a free umbrella.

Does it really bother you what other people may or may not like or enjoy?

Does it affect your life in any way?

If the answer is no to any of these questions,,, then what's the purpose of the post?

So, these people are going to spend that money on a cruise whether they get any cutesy little "perks" or not - but it's human nature, people love getting little freebies. You think any of those Hollywood stars that go to the Oscars need the stuff in those "swag bags" they get? Of course not, but try telling them they are not getting one. I've stayed in some pretty pricey hotels (when a client was paying) and have never been given a free umbrella.

I don't know about US hotels, but in Europe I've asked for an umbrella 2 or 3 times and they got me an umbrella (to lend), and those were moderate hotels.

You are talking about little freebies. A nice freebie would be that when it's a rainy day the ship has a few thousand umbrellas available for anyone getting of the ship. That's what I'd put in my review, "it was raining, but Celebrity thinks about everything so they gave us an umbrella".

If you have to move up to Concierge Class to use an umbrella, it's not a freebie at all. I do like freebies, but they should be nice surprises.

I like towel animals, and making pictures of them to put in the album, there's an extra story I can tell, well let's say that during my first cruise that surprise was worth $200, maybe even more. If the cruise was sold with "Day 2. a snake", "Day 5. a monkey", it would be totally worthless. Even Hollywood stars would agree that a swag bag is not fun anymore when you know exactly what's in it, knowing that you have to pay for things you don't want anyway.

I don't know about US hotels, but in Europe I've asked for an umbrella 2 or 3 times and they got me an umbrella (to lend), and those were moderate hotels.

You are talking about little freebies. A nice freebie would be that when it's a rainy day the ship has a few thousand umbrellas available for anyone getting of the ship. That's what I'd put in my review, "it was raining, but Celebrity thinks about everything so they gave us an umbrella".

If you have to move up to Concierge Class to use an umbrella, it's not a freebie at all. I do like freebies, but they should be nice surprises.

I like towel animals, and making pictures of them to put in the album, there's an extra story I can tell, well let's say that during my first cruise that surprise was worth $200, maybe even more. If the cruise was sold with "Day 2. a snake", "Day 5. a monkey", it would be totally worthless. Even Hollywood stars would agree that a swag bag is not fun anymore when you know exactly what's in it, knowing that you have to pay for things you don't want anyway.

You don't need to move up to Celebrity's Concierge Class. Instead you should be looking at moving to true "premium" cruise lines where everyone gets an umbrella (and beverages and specialty restaurants and internet and ...)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Does it really bother you what other people may or may not like or enjoy?

Does it affect your life in any way?

If the answer is no to any of these questions,,, then what's the purpose of the post?

Q1: A bit because it's interesting

Q2: Not at all.

The purpose is that I'd like to know why the marketing people seem to think lines like HAL and Celebrity, whose clientele obviously consists of well-to-do, probably well-traveled people, can attract more customers by offering them a free scoop of ice cream, a few coupons to play Bingo at a discount, and maybe free laundry worth 2% of the fare.

I'm not saying they are wrong in doing so, they are probably not after spending millions on market research, but for me it sounds odd. For me personally, I really couldn't care less about such perks.

Edited by AmazedByCruising
which/whose

The purpose is that I'd like to know why the marketing people seem to think lines like HAL and Celebrity, whose clientele obviously consists of well-to-do, probably well-traveled people, can attract more customers by offering them a free scoop of ice cream, a few coupons to play Bingo at a discount, and maybe free laundry worth 2% of the fare.

I'm not saying they are wrong in doing so, they are probably not after spending millions on market research, but for me it sounds odd. For me personally, I really couldn't care less about such perks.

The insinuation that those who do appreciate them have "childish" proclivities is troubling to me, especially when taken together with the characterizations you posted above with regard to long careers or owning of companies. People are different, not exclusively mature versus "childish". Let's regard others with the respect we would wish to be afforded ourselves, and consider their preferences simply different rather than tagging them with a demeaning description.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

The insinuation that those who do appreciate them have "childish" proclivities is troubling to me, especially when taken together with the characterizations you posted above with regard to long careers or owning of companies. People are different, not exclusively mature versus "childish". Let's regard others with the respect we would wish to be afforded ourselves, and consider their preferences simply different rather than tagging them with a demeaning description.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I'm afraid my English fails me once again, sorry. I used the "company owner" as an example of someone who gets free pens weekly and puts them in the bin. Maybe I should have said "people who have children or even grandchildren themselves are given an icecream and supposed to cheer".

Anyway, I didn't mean to say anything about my fellow cruisers at all. It's the cruiselines who act as if their customers are a bunch of 8 year olds which they are certainly not.

I suppose it could be a difference in perspective. I know people who make the point to me quite often that a dollar is a dollar and every dollar counts. Then I know other people who are far on the opposite side of me with regard to that perspective. The point is that all three, those who value even a dollar very highly, those who are unimpressed with any amount of value less than a substantial percentage of their Cruise fare, and those in the middle, have legitimate perspectives. And as you pointed out earlier the marketing department has detected this and recognized that even these small gifts are perceived in a positive manner by a significant number of the Target demographic.

We are going on our first Celebrity cruise in June. We're Diamond on Royal and used to LOVE getting the "free gift." Didn't matter that it was a tote bag that we already had or a photo frame that wasn't exactly our taste. It was just a nice gesture and it was kind of nice to come into the cabin and get a small token of appreciation.. In the "old days" there was always an ink pen and stationary in the desk. On our last cruise, I failed to bring an ink pen and I had to make a trip and get in line at customer service to get one. We didn't realize how nice it was until they stopped giving a little gift during the cruise or stopped putting these small items in the cabin. We used to get toiletries in a regular balcony cabin. They don't do that anymore. We used to get free playing cards. Not anymore. There used to be a chocolate on our pillow after turn down. That disappeared a few years ago. We used to get a $10 discount on a laundry bag during a 7-night cruise. On our last 7 night cruise, it had been changed and you only got the discount on an 8-night or longer cruise, so it was $30 instead of $20. Not a deal breaker but another "childish perk" gone. On our last cruise with Royal in December, we came into the cabin and found chocolate covered strawberries. It was a nice gesture and was appreciated. I'm sure that will be gone soon. It doesn't bother me if they pay extra and get an umbrella. I don't think anyone books a suite to get the umbrella, ink pen or pad. Just a nice gesture of appreciation from the cruise line for booking a suite.

If you think people don't care about every tiny perk, try taking one away. They will be all over CC complaining that they didn't get the free sprinkles or whatever that they are entitled to

Ain't that the truth! Even fair exchanges, one thing for another, garner harsh condemnations sometimes!

I'm pretty sure no one books BECAUSE of those little "perks", but I would imagine most would enjoy them, nonetheless. I think it's awful that there is no pen or paper in any other cabin..and that they feel it's a "perk".

I like some of the gifts, for their 'collectable's' value....especially if the Company logo is anywhere on them...

I lament the fact that on my recent NCL Breakaway cruise, I found that they have discontinued the Latitudes ship souvenir pins....it seems the vast majority of passenger's had no interest in them, so they eliminated them...:(

I'm pretty sure no one books BECAUSE of those little "perks", but I would imagine most would enjoy them, nonetheless.
I think it's actually somewhere in between. We didn't book because of any specific perks. But once we narrowed our choices down to a few cruises on a couple of cruise lines, a set of choices for which we were indifferent, all that's left to help decide between the choices are little perks (or a coin toss).

I like some of the gifts, for their 'collectable's' value....especially if the Company logo is anywhere on them...
Disney does this well I think. We are just back from week in Orlando. One of the best restaurants there slips into the folder within which you get your bill at the end of your meal a collectible card. There are a set of these cards that they slip in, each one with some kind of reproduction of a sketch or drawing and the personal notes of the artist. These are sourced from the working notes that the artists developed while in Africa or Asia researching for the development of the theme park. They're not available in any other way or form and they provide a very interesting insight into the development of this massive creative undertaking. Will never be worth any real money of course but the rare opportunity of being able to see into the mind of the artists who developed the theme park was quite special.

I recall back 25 years ago or more they had a series of note cards that they would leave on the pillow each night with a little saying or poem or something else that was a little special something. My spouse collected these up and then over the next five years of our marriage, as we were apart most of the time due to my travel, she turned them into little notes that she would slip in the books I was reading, into my toiletry bag, into my clothing.

These things are practically trivial in terms of cost for them but through creativity and Innovation and a savvy understanding of their customers they turn nothing into something.

I'm pretty sure no one books BECAUSE of those little "perks", but I would imagine most would enjoy them, nonetheless. I think it's awful that there is no pen or paper in any other cabin..and that they feel it's a "perk".
I agree. I book a Celebrity Concierge Class cabin and it comes with the perks that have been mentioned here. I don't book for the perks that comes with the cabin, I book for the location of cabin. I enjoy the bags (I get two different ones), that I've used at home, I've eaten the fruit (which is not only apples and oranges) and used the binoculars on occasion. Now, if they got rid of them all, I'd still book the Concierge Class cabin.

Just curious as to why you booked concierge class if this is how you feel... as far as I can tell it's just a higher priced room for nothing but 'throw away' extras... the things you mentioned, a concierge (for what I don't know, have never had trouble making reservations on my own), lunch in the MDR on embarkation day, and a lounge on debarkation day.... nothing that to me justifies spending extra on the room...

They've created a higher priced room and are just looking for low cost freebies to sell it.

Personally we stick to a basic balcony but would consider aqua if it was ever an affordable (special dining room and spa pass are worthwhile extras to me), but concierge class seems useless IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just curious as to why you booked concierge class if this is how you feel... as far as I can tell it's just a higher priced room for nothing but 'throw away' extras... the things you mentioned, a concierge (for what I don't know, have never had trouble making reservations on my own), lunch in the MDR on embarkation day, and a lounge on debarkation day.... nothing that to me justifies spending extra on the room...

I book for the location of the cabin. I like midship on a higher deck. Also, on some ships, like my next cruise on the Summit, a Concierge Class cabin is larger than a regular balcony cabin. You might not be able to justify spending extra money for a Concierge Class cabin, but I can. Different strokes for different folks!:)

BTW, I agree with you on one thing...the Concierge. I've never used him/her on the ship, because I can make my own arrangements.

Along with all the little perks your not counting all the big perks that are also included. These are the ones that make a difference. Just booked Symphony of the Seas for the 2018 Transatlantic. A few hundred dollars from the TA . From RCCL the perks for a Diamond member are $325.00 cabin discount for our balcony, $100.00 OBC, Free cocktails and hors d'oeuvre nightly, 3 cocktails each for my wife and myself equals $1000.00 dollars for a 12 night cruise, 2 free photos of choice, 2 free laundry bags at 30.00 each, 2-3 specialty day events with cocktails provided. private breakfast area, on our last TA on Allure, Jazz on 5 and Dazzles were open to Diamond members only from 5.30 to 8.30 with unlimited cocktails. For those that don't want to hang around the diamond lounges your sea pass cards are preloaded with 3 free cocktails at almost any bar each day for evening drinks. For us the reason to keep booking RCCL is for the perks, valued some ware around $1500.00 for twelve days. To each their own but to us hardly childish perks. happy cruising

Q1: A bit because it's interesting

Q2: Not at all.

Hi there

The reason these marketing people think that offering their clientele some little freebie will attract them to continue cruising with their company is, it works.

People who have travelled with whatever cruise line, a number of times will find that they are now are eligible for some small tokens. As you pointed out, they are rarely worth more than a few hundred dollars. Certainly not an amount that the cruisers couldn't pay for themselves if it were needed. They however don't have to pay for them, they have earned them. They might not even use the freebies. Just you try and take those freebies away and there would be a hue and cry.

The fact that a cruise line, or any company decides to give a customer a small token can't hurt. If the customer doesn't like it they can throw it away. There are many who see some value in it and wouldn't feel the same as yourself. Just because I can pay for something doesn't mean I won't look for the best price. Perhaps look to benefit from a price drop. Maybe benefit a shareholder credit. Oh, maybe I can purchase discounted gift card. I do they same when I buy groceries, or gas or whatever. You know a few hundred here, and a few hundred there, cruise three or four times a year are you going to pass up these kind of savings just because you can afford to pay full price? Sorry, I'm not that rich. :D

hope this helps